Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

clamiam45 posted:

I enjoy him a lot on Ced Talks and on commentary, I just don't think he's the best. To be fair he's probably the second best (in his prime) after Randy Buehler and Brian David Marshall combination.

Edit: Also Patrick Sullivan reads the Economist. :wtc:

I'm sorry, did you just suggest Randy Buehler for a portion of "Best commentator"?

What is wrong with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Sickening posted:

Not yet.

Battle lands and shadow lands with white in them is probably going to go up a little. Goggles went from 3 to 10 pretty quickly. Arlin should be falling like a meteor. What a weird day.

Time to cash in foil goggles.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Gridlocked posted:

I'm sorry, did you just suggest Randy Buehler for a portion of "Best commentator"?

What is wrong with you?

If you listen to him commentate on VSL he's great. The gap between his commentating skill on a format he cares about vs. a format he doesn't is huge.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

AlternateNu posted:

Thopter Spy Network Investigate deck. Feasible? I'm guessing most people have dismissed it as being too slow, but I like the idea of getting big unblockable Tireless Trackers using Whirler Rogue and getting all the card advantage via Thopters and sacking clues.

I want this to be a thing.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I wouldn't really bank on getting a big Tracker with how much removal is in the format.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If your LGS is going to be copying some of these decklists try running something super removal heavy but creature-light. A lot of the Bant creatures become much worse without targets for their ETB effects and instant-speed removal is going to be essential. I think a more controlly WB list will do very well for the next few weeks or so.

Dead Weights, Languishes, Stasis Snares, Declarations, Grasp of Darkness - run these and you're laughing. Wincons of Kalitas and Secure the Wastes (Westvale Abby), all the non-flip WB walkers and you'll have a really good chance.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Voyager I posted:

I wouldn't really bank on getting a big Tracker with how much removal is in the format.

Fair enough. But, I find it funny that sacking clues with Mom & Dad, Angelic Purge, or Tragic Arrogance also triggers Tracker. :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Balon posted:

If your LGS is going to be copying some of these decklists try running something super removal heavy but creature-light. A lot of the Bant creatures become much worse without targets for their ETB effects and instant-speed removal is going to be essential. I think a more controlly WB list will do very well for the next few weeks or so.

Dead Weights, Languishes, Stasis Snares, Declarations, Grasp of Darkness - run these and you're laughing. Wincons of Kalitas and Secure the Wastes (Westvale Abby), all the non-flip WB walkers and you'll have a really good chance.

Yep. If anything, this weekend taught you that deadweight and languish are maindeck bombs. I don't agree on kalitas, but reality smasher, abbey, gideon and the like are all good finishers. Your finishers need to survive your own languishes, so I have no opted to use avencyn even though others have.

Here is the list I will probably use this week.

Deck: W/B/C

//Lands
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Forsaken Sanctuary
2 Llanowar Wastes
4 Plains
4 Shambling Vent
8 Swamp
2 Westvale Abbey

//Spells
2 Anguished Unmaking
3 Dead Weight
2 Declaration in Stone
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Grasp of Darkness
3 Languish
3 Read the Bones
3 Secure the Wastes
3 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
3 Transgress the Mind
2 Ultimate Price

//Creatures
3 Reality Smasher

//Sideboard
3 Infinite Obliteration
1 Languish
1 Transgress the Mind
3 Hallowed Moonlight
1 Dead Weight
2 Fate Forgotten
3 Thought-Knot Seer
1 Declaration in Stone

Display deck statistics

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Gridlocked posted:

What is wrong with you?

I like it when the commentators are really enjoying themselves. Honestly there's no need for commentary for me (or most of this thread I'm betting). I'd like the setup to be either just a couple of friends having fun and joking or just player mics and no commentary.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

If you listen to him commentate on VSL he's great. The gap between his commentating skill on a format he cares about vs. a format he doesn't is huge.

Yeah totally. He clearly enjoys Vintage very much and it shows. That's what I like.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

He's very good at coming up with illegal and/or clearly bad plays in every format. He's excited to do so in vintage.

And getting cards restricted from a deck that isn't oppressive or even the best deck in the format.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

He's very good at coming up with illegal and/or clearly bad plays in every format. He's excited to do so in vintage.

And getting cards restricted from a deck that isn't oppressive or even the best deck in the format.

peep those MTGO Vintage daily and league records

GUSH B*TCH

edit: i bought a moat today at the Open so I can play The Mighty Quinn, because no one would talk me out of it. thankfully i 4-0d a legacy challenge to pay for half of it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Are you still crying about your deck being restricted?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AgentSythe posted:

GUSH B*TCH

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
SCG modern deck lists were posted - nothing in the top 8 had sword or ancestral

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

No, I'm pointing out all of the things that Randy Buehler is good at. Things which don't include playing vintage or doing commentary for any format.

Dehtraen posted:

I'm shocked. Shocked!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dehtraen posted:

1st place had 3 Ancestral in the SB. 10th, 11th, and 12th played 3-4 Ancestral.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GoutPatrol posted:

He is, yes.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

GoutPatrol posted:

Aha, I missed the sideboard copies, they probably came in against jund, right?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

Did a SotM deck even place?

Edit: Why yes!

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=100791

Oh hey even Gerry Thompson played in this Classic, with Thopters.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=100802

I wonder why they both went the path of U/W, maybe because the removal suite is a bit better?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 11, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Tron deck at 14th played 1-ofs, Ironworks combo at 19th played them, Gifts combo at 25th played some,.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

The Tron deck at 14th played 1-ofs, Ironworks combo at 19th played them, Gifts combo at 25th played some,.

Basically the deck has some life and that's all I wanted to hear.

The fact U/W is an option is also wonderful.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
At SCG in baltimore this weekend,

In fourth place, the awesome pyromancer's goggles deck from this weekend is $500 (mostly because a playset of jace is $350 - 4 thing in Ice and 2 chandra's set you back $100).

In third, a B/W/C midrange deck was $400. 4 Avacyn are at $130.

The mono-white deck that came in 2nd was $100 - Declaration of stone, Kytheon, and 1 westvale abbey.

Jim Davis' deck was $600 on the back of jace, coco, and avacyn.

Guess I'm still on hiatus from constructed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The problem with Ancestral Visions is that you sort of want to play a lot of copies because they're excellent in your opening hand and you really want them there, but drawing one later in the game is basically drawing a blank. I would think most normal decks would probably prefer to just have a Serum Visions.

The deck I think AV is good in is Scapeshift, actually.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

In fourth place, the awesome pyromancer's goggles deck from this weekend is $500 (mostly because a playset of jace is $350 - 4 thing in Ice and 2 chandra's set you back $100).

The mono-white deck that came in 2nd was $100 - Declaration of stone, Kytheon, and 1 westvale abbey.

I think Jace will start to fall after the Pro Tour. I don't think he's any more busted than say, Collected Company is in the format, and really, Jace doesn't see as much eternal play as people seem to beleive he does.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgy6gUG8w4U

LRR talks about the Pre-Pre-Release they held, their decks and a crack a pack, very good listen.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I think decks will need a way to bin their excess copies late game for GDD to just flashback and I think that's where Jace might come in.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Bought a fat pack on a whim, opened a foil Arlinn Kord and a Nahiri in the same pack. Traded them in for most of the UB control lost that was posted earlier, and the rest of an Ever After combo deck I've been brewing.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It amazes me that all the W/x human decks placed higher than the W/B Midrange decks, which main-decked some languishes. Even weirder is the mono white deck outclassed W/x.

The U/R Goggles deck was really fun to watch.
I wish the guy playing The Rock with the Gitrog Monster placed higher though. That deck looked really fun.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

DangerDongs posted:

It amazes me that all the W/x human decks placed higher than the W/B Midrange decks, which main-decked some languishes. Even weirder is the mono white deck outclassed W/x.

The U/R Goggles deck was really fun to watch.
I wish the guy playing The Rock with the Gitrog Monster placed higher though. That deck looked really fun.

Jeff Hoogland finished 16th because he mulliganed to oblivion in the final round. His deck seems sweet, and i'm pretty sure looping Pulse of Murasa is one of the sweetest things you can do in any format.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I will confirm looping Pulse of Murasa is fun as hell. GDD and it are <3

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Like I know people have different budgets and whatever, but $100 for a competitive constructed deck is really nothing. Like, I don't think you can ever expect a tourney-level constructed deck to be less than $100. I mean to hit that low a threshold you basically need 1 card that's a 4-of to be $15 which I don't think that's never not been the case.

Angry Grimace posted:

I think Jace will start to fall after the Pro Tour. I don't think he's any more busted than say, Collected Company is in the format, and really, Jace doesn't see as much eternal play as people seem to beleive he does.
He's starting to show up more in eternal. I think all the u/w control decks that have been doing decently in modern are running him. Also I saw some delver builds, and random vintage stuff. I see a small drop, but probably not less than $60 or so after he rotates. And I actually think he's a bit underplayed now in standard.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Oh good standard decks are half the price of last standard

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Skyl3lazer posted:

Oh good standard decks are half the price of last standard

The mana base does not involve Legacy mainstays anymore, for one. For another, the two-color lists can only have up to 8 rare duals if they're ally-colored. Some of last standards's had about 20 between fetches and bofas. The Shadows lands aren't any good outside of standard, as well. Enemy color lists use the painlands which have been reprinted a bajillion times.

The mana bases not supporting 4-color fuckfests anymore means decks stop being goodstuff lists with the best cards of each color, which further decreases prices. Not everything plays a bunch of Jaces and Kalitases yet still manages to slot in Crackling Doom.

Weakening the mana makes both the mana itself cheaper, and it leads to less expensive lists as they can't support multicolor goodstuff.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Meatbag Esq. posted:

100$ isn't bad at all tho, like i could afford that if standard was something i ever wanted to do

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Oh wow, looks like there's no Magic panel at PAX East for the first time in years. I guess because it's too early to talk about the next set.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mandatory lesbian posted:

100$ isn't bad at all tho, like i could afford that if standard was something i ever wanted to do

I feel pretty confident Thing in the Ice and probably Avacyn will fall a bit, these are very early prices. Just don't play Blue. Which is good advice any time really.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I feel pretty confident Thing in the Ice and probably Avacyn will fall a bit, these are very early prices. Just don't play Blue. Which is good advice any time really.

Not unless you want to win

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

GonSmithe posted:

Oh wow, looks like there's no Magic panel at PAX East for the first time in years. I guess because it's too early to talk about the next set.

Technically the next set is Eternal Masters, and PAX is when they've done spoilers for their other Masters sets. If they aren't doing PAX or GenCon, what big conventions are left?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Technically the next set is Eternal Masters, and PAX is when they've done spoilers for their other Masters sets. If they aren't doing PAX or GenCon, what big conventions are left?
Oh, that's true. They've given out art prints at the PAX East one before and now I'm kinda mad that I won't have an art print of the new Force of Will.

But yeah, there's no Magic panel listed on their schedule

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh god help

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/enter-battlefield-premieres-april-25-2016-04-11

this is gonna be terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GonSmithe posted:

Not unless you want to win

Ha ha look at this jerk actually needs blue to win at magic haha.

Play Jund.

• Locked thread