Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

I have no idea who that guy is but I'd watch a movie set in the 40K universe where we get the inner monologue of the main character Dune-style, but it's just "oh poo poo, Oh poo poo OHSHIT!" all movie long.

That's pretty much the gist of it. The main character is an officer in charge of company morale and leading the charge and all that, just wants an easy life and to kick back but keeps getting hurled into the front lines and emerging a hero which just gets him increasingly more prestige and thus more dangerous assignments. His whole life is built up on a reputation he doesn't feel he deserves in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cythereal posted:

And being mostly naked, and a brainwashed slave, is true to her more recent depictions.

She looked like this in the Warcraft 2 manual so I guess she was always mostly naked.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Bob Quixote posted:

That's pretty much the gist of it. The main character is an officer in charge of company morale and leading the charge and all that, just wants an easy life and to kick back but keeps getting hurled into the front lines and emerging a hero which just gets him increasingly more prestige and thus more dangerous assignments. His whole life is built up on a reputation he doesn't feel he deserves in the least.

At the same time, the diegetic narrator makes a note that he's actually pretty heroic when it comes down to it. He might not be a HERO OF THE IMPERIUM like the propaganda says, but he's a genuinely heroic character.

I like Ciaphas Cain. He is a cool dude.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ungulateman posted:

At the same time, the diegetic narrator makes a note that he's actually pretty heroic when it comes down to it. He might not be a HERO OF THE IMPERIUM like the propaganda says, but he's a genuinely heroic character.

I think part of his whole stress is that in the brain damaged universe of 40k even admitting to fear or considering that defeat is a possibility makes you a worthless contemptible traitor by Imperial dogma, so he is more ashamed of the fact that he feels his fears and overcomes them to do heroic things than he would be if he just never even felt them at all. The fact that he is brave in the classic sense instead of being brainwashed into zealotry is what gives him his whole inferiority complex.

I agree though, Cain is probably the most fun character to read about in that setting that I've seen so far.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ungulateman posted:

That narrator is his girlfriend though to be fair.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ungulateman posted:

I wouldn't go that far. He has his moments of bravery, but he also looks out for his own interests a lot of the time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Two more posters.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is going to be a loving disaster and I'm kind of keen to take part

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They couldn't even make a good ultramarine movie, though, and those are their Mary Sues.

Like all mary sues, the interest of such characters has to come from conflicted decision making and dealing with the consequences. The "Space Marine" game adds some interest to these supermen around balancing codex dogma against achieving practical goals as well as around how much subjectivity comes into play when both interpreting millenia-old dictates and making these judgement calls in high pressure situations out in the field.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

The MSJ posted:

Two more posters.

Wow those sure are some generic fantasy dudes!

I don't even understand what exactly they're trying to sell with these posters. Do they think that the Warcraft brand is so strong that they could place any boring-rear end image with the words "Warcraft" and get people interested?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Wololo!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I thought at least Ben Foster would be a cool Medivh but uhhhh

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I thought at least Ben Foster would be a cool Medivh but uhhhh

He looks really embarrassed and disappointed to be there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HorseRenoir posted:

Wow those sure are some generic fantasy dudes!

I don't even understand what exactly they're trying to sell with these posters. Do they think that the Warcraft brand is so strong that they could place any boring-rear end image with the words "Warcraft" and get people interested?

I'm a Warcraft fan and even I can only guess who some of these characters are supposed to be. I think those are supposed to be Medivh and Khadgar, but who the hell knows.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first teasers and photos from the set had me completely disinterested but the new posters and trailers have me hyped to watch a two hour trainwreck. :getin:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

She looked like this in the Warcraft 2 manual so I guess she was always mostly naked.

Metzen's hosed up drawings stayed in the manuals for a weirdly long time. The Warcraft III manual, with 100 pages of backstory, was full of them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Two more posters.

If these posters didn't say Warcraft on them then I would not know what this was.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

bango skank posted:

The first teasers and photos from the set had me completely disinterested but the new posters and trailers have me hyped to watch a two hour trainwreck. :getin:

I'm actually really excited for this movie, but not for the reasons they intended.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corek posted:

Metzen's hosed up drawings stayed in the manuals for a weirdly long time. The Warcraft III manual, with 100 pages of backstory, was full of them.

That manual was the exact moment I realized Warcraft might be badly written schlock.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The MSJ posted:

Two more posters.

I am super-mad this isn't Nic Cage.

Bob Quixote posted:

I think part of his whole stress is that in the brain damaged universe of 40k even admitting to fear or considering that defeat is a possibility makes you a worthless contemptible traitor by Imperial dogma, so he is more ashamed of the fact that he feels his fears and overcomes them to do heroic things than he would be if he just never even felt them at all. The fact that he is brave in the classic sense instead of being brainwashed into zealotry is what gives him his whole inferiority complex.

I agree though, Cain is probably the most fun character to read about in that setting that I've seen so far.

That all does sound like it has the makings for an interesting movie about heroism and masculinity and so on. I like that it's apparently the point of the character that the 40K universe is awful and pants-shittingly terrifying and that reacting even a tiny bit like a normal person to that will get you branded a coward.

I think I just realized that you only need to make a few adjustments and Idiocracy could be that movie.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Although they did change her from half-human to half-draenei.
If she has horns, tendrils, hooves, or a tail she's hiding them very well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wonder how in the hell it ever made sense to Metzen that there could be a full grown half-orc in a setting where orcs and humans have been in contact for like a year.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Grendels Dad posted:

That all does sound like it has the makings for an interesting movie about heroism and masculinity and so on. I like that it's apparently the point of the character that the 40K universe is awful and pants-shittingly terrifying and that reacting even a tiny bit like a normal person to that will get you branded a coward.

My favorite thing about 40k is that the alien race of Orwellian fascists who would be the arch antagonists of any other setting are, in 40k, the most unambiguously morally upright faction by far simply because they perform the fewest atrocities per capita in the name of raw survival.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder how in the hell it ever made sense to Metzen that there could be a full grown half-orc in a setting where orcs and humans have been in contact for like a year.

In the original Warcraft I and II manuals it had been open for 10 years of Orc-Human skirmishes, which still makes no sense regarding Garona. So even before the retcons it was bizarre.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Corek posted:

Writer, artist, actor; is there anything this man can't do?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bob Quixote posted:

Is he the 40k version of Flashman or is that another series?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is he the 40k version of Flashman or is that another series?

That's Flashman, yeah. Gaunt's Ghosts is the 40k version of Sharpe.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

If an 17-year old showed me this and said "I Made This in Photoshop," I'd say "I guess it's ok, the face is pretty drat fake though"

whoops! They forgot to tell the actor to make a facial expression!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 11, 2016

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I'll see your cards and raise you

Yikes.

I did better photoshops myself back in highschool.

On the other hand, this poster is a perfect representation of my expectations of this movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come none of the people look like their characters.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
is that real? those knights look so bad

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Less of an rear end in a top hat than Flashman though, but thats really not a high bar to clear.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Aristocrat: "You won't accomplish this thing, you aren't well born enough"

Gaunt: *Does thing*

Repeat for 20 books.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Aristocrat: "You won't accomplish this thing, you aren't well born enough"

Gaunt: *Does thing*

Repeat for 20 books.

My god, its Sharpe to a t.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Batham posted:

I'll see your cards and raise you

Yikes.

I did better photoshops myself back in highschool.

On the other hand, this poster is a perfect representation of my expectations of this movie.

Oh my God, the guards they put up front are stretched and blurry.. in an OFFICIAL MOVIE POSTER?

gently caress me. This looks shiiiiiit.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

I'm not talking about story. You're making some big leaps here.

My point is just that it's inane to want an MMO to have, like, "a good story." It's the classic mistake of like, oh man if we could just get Don DeLillo to write Warlords of Draenor think how good it would be.

My favorite moment of hilarity in WoW (shortly before I stopped playing) was the quest to get a new red shirt.

To get this red shirt, the woman explains, you'll need to bring her some cloth. OK, cool.

Now, she tells me I can get this red cloth.. from the scarves of a local street gang. Ooook, so...

..then she tells me I should go and kill them repeatedly until I've found enough of their scarves to totally make me a new shirt.

I don't know why, but the thought of this homemaker calmly asking (without a hint of humor) for me to go and murder like 60+ people and look their loving scarves so she could make me a shirt with the trophies was the most psychopath but hilarious thing I've read in a while and was the moment it struck me how loving terrible quests are in MMOs.

... that and the woman thanking me endlessly for saving their farm from monsters, while outside the window behind her, monsters were running into the wall trying to get in.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

To their credit, WoW did try to be more creative and less boring with their quests after years of updates. Instead of telling you to kill 10 boars, they give you dynamite to blowup 10 boars at once. Or something like that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wow always had fun with its setting, how can you not like the notion of murdering street gang members to obtain cloth for a new shirt?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

With the introduction of phasing in the WotLK expansion, WoW became the first MMO where your actions seemed to have any effect at all on the game world. You'd get dropped into a town being overrun by skeletons, kill some skeletons, then suddenly the town would be secure and have vendors and stuff. It was neat, and certainly a welcome change from how Vanilla WoW had quest givers explcitly tell you you didn't really make a difference after all but thanks for trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bob Quixote posted:

My god, its Sharpe to a t.

It really is. The first 5 or 6 are good, then he starts taking himself seriously, and it all falls apart.

• Locked thread