Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah that's why it;'s funny when people go oh you only hate it because they did superman wrong. the movie woulda been rear end even if they did him right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How does superman's other powers work? Like, I can believe the super strength but how is he getting laser eyes and ice breath from the sun?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DrManiac posted:

How does superman's other powers work? Like, I can believe the super strength but how is he getting laser eyes and ice breath from the sun?

krypton is very dark, kryptonians see by emitting xrays from their eyes and seeing the reflections (like bats). "laser" vision is actually a coherent beam of concentrated xrays

Krypton is also very hot, so their lungs have a natural cooling chemical to aid in breathing.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How would superman be able to perceive color then?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
actually, i think superman is able to do freeze breath because he is able to inhale lots of air and compress it in his lungs, so when he exhales its super cold. like when you use a bottle of compressed air to clean out the cheeto dust in a computer keyboard

lfield
May 10, 2008
so what was lex luthor doing and why

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah that's why it;'s funny when people go oh you only hate it because they did superman wrong. the movie woulda been rear end even if they did him right.

Dawn of rear end

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

lfield posted:

so what was lex luthor doing and why

Dad was jerk > blame god > Wanna kill god > No actual god to kill? > Eh, superman close enough

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

How would superman be able to perceive color then?

has superman ever been depicted as perceiving color? pretty presumptuous, dude

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mclast posted:

has superman ever been depicted as perceiving color? pretty presumptuous, dude

Is that why he never saves black people? Too hard for him to see?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Did I just imagine it, or did someone involved with the movie say Eisenberg is supposed to be Lex Junior?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

he explicitly talks about his father being lex senior

so logically he would be the junior in that relationship

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The movie could have used more junior-senior to give it a lighter tone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMBYddT8gi8&t=284s

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

thescience posted:

Mulling it over this past week; I think Snyder's view of superman, and his place in the world, is the biggest problem I had with the movie. I liked the DBZ fight scenes superman had in both movies on a kinesthetic sense, but everything else about the character felt hollow. It seems that snyder thinks that alienation is superman's overall theme.

Compare it to another movie with an alien on earth who brings destruction in his wake, and still manages to make strong emotional bonds with people he doesn't know. To top it all off this character is autistic and can't always pick up on the social cues of this new planet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4dT2eBWI2M

Granted that's kinda cheating, since the director of that movie also later directed 'The Incredibles' so he must have some insider knowledge on what makes people emotionally respond to superheroes.

Maybe if only we could get George Lucas to re-release the iron giant to show his true vision

Amazing

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Chips posted:

Dad was jerk > blame god > Wanna kill god > No actual god to kill? > Eh, superman close enough

Bullshit->Random->Plot hole->Bullshit->Steaming Bullshit = Plot

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Lt. Chips posted:

That's hilarious, it reminds me of Mr Burns:

"Since the beginning of time man has yearned to destroy the Sun."

:psyduck:

lfield
May 10, 2008
i get not liking superman for whatever reason but being so desperate to gently caress with him that you're willing to explode a room full of innocent people and expend huge amounts of time and resources to kill him should be given like, an actual explanation

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

lfield posted:

i get not liking superman for whatever reason but being so desperate to gently caress with him that you're willing to explode a room full of innocent people and expend huge amounts of time and resources to kill him should be given like, an actual explanation

yeah but for that you'd need like... actual story-telling elements ?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

didn't he frame superman by using bombs and guns. why.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i feel like any given comic book or cartoon with "framing superman" puts more thought into the plan than movie Lex did

naem
May 29, 2011

Maybe if man of steel had been a more happy superman hero movie with pretty colors they could then do a nice superman vs gritty batman (like in the comic), THEN they could do a justice league something something all with a consistent tone like that other comic movie series franchise, you know, the successful one

They could have contrasted a charming optimist superman with a bright color pallet against gritty batman and it would have been both more fun and the grittiness would have stood out where applied,

ALSO the theme of superman realizing "I'm not perfect and look batman is right here" and batman realizing "I need more faith in humanity like superman" that would have been good plus that story already exists and is written already IN THE CONMICC BUKK, I'm a lovely poo baby,

also Wonder Woman needs tigger biddies

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I don't know what that means

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

naem posted:

also Wonder Woman needs tigger biddies

they need to go all the way back to the source and give her just one giant titty.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Lex Junior is trying to kill Superman because that's what Lex Luthor does.

The people treat Superman like a hero because they did that in the other movies.

People are like "what's this Bat Vigilante guy" because that's how people are in the other Batman movie origin stories.

It doesn't matter that Lex has no motivation, Superman isn't heroic, and this Batman has been around in his movie's universe for like 20 years, okay? That's not bad filmmaking. Failing to tell your own story because someone did it better before you is a conscious artistic decision.

many johnnys posted:

I don't know what that means

Close thread; goldmine :)

e: and if any of you bother to watch this a second time, take notice that Amy Adams' entire role in the movie is to take deep chest-heaving breaths while in tight shirts

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 11, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The must-see movie of 2016.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Just like how Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek movie The Iron Giant is the best Superman movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Just like how Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek movie The Iron Giant is the best Superman movie.

Don't forget The Incredibles is the best Fantastic Four movie.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Don't forget The Incredibles is the best Fantastic Four movie.

i'm convinced that the son didn't burst into flames and fly around so marvel wouldn't sue

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

a retard posted:

i'm convinced that the son didn't burst into flames and fly around so marvel wouldn't sue

The baby did burst into flames at the end.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

many johnnys posted:

Superman, bloodied on the ground: Help... Bort...

Batman: why did you say that name? My son is also named bort

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Say Nothing posted:

The must-see movie of 2016.

god bless america

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcH3TBBKhZ0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

So, at the end of the day, being out nearly 3 weeks, it's made nearly $300M, which is probably pretty good. At this rate, it'll probably do between $320-$340M domestically, or maybe climb as high as $375-$400M if the rumors of WB re-releasing as the extended R-rated cut are true. All things considered, it's not really the flop I think most people are making it out to be with the exception of it not making half-billion dollars.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

except it will do nowhere near as good as Avengers and it's ad budget is a big question mark but reportedly gigantic

Not that Avengers deserved to do as well as it did. It really is just a bunch of sardonic quips. But at least what little narrative there was kept together better than this poo poo

BvS was supposed to be DC's answer to The Avengers but it's absolutely getting wrecked, there's no way it'll even make 2/3 of what The Avengers got.

BvS had a much bigger opening than Deadpool thanks to a record number of pre-order ticket sales but has been making less pretty much every day after that - Deadpool made $30m in it's 3rd weekend but BvS only made $23m which nearly closed the gap between them. At this rate it'll make less than Deadpool at the domestic box office and will barely make more money than Spider-Man 3. SM3 was made back in 2007 so if you adjust for inflation then it'll probably beat BvS domestically. How the gently caress do you make a film about Batman versus Superman and have it struggle to compete against Spider-Man 3???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtpeYERu9w

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

How the gently caress do you make a film about Batman versus Superman and have it struggle to compete against Spider-Man 3???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtpeYERu9w

J Jonah Jameson > Perry White

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BvS had a much bigger opening than Deadpool thanks to a record number of pre-order ticket sales but has been making less pretty much every day after that - Deadpool made $30m in it's 3rd weekend but BvS only made $23m which nearly closed the gap between them. At this rate it'll make less than Deadpool at the domestic box office and will barely make more money than Spider-Man 3. SM3 was made back in 2007 so if you adjust for inflation then it'll probably beat BvS domestically. How the gently caress do you make a film about Batman versus Superman and have it struggle to compete against Spider-Man 3???

You make this film about Batman and Superman, which seems to be targeted to appeal to CineD.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Otisburg posted:

The movie could have used more junior-senior to give it a lighter tone

Can't stop (won't stop) the beat(ings)!
BatBale voice: WE'RE GOING DOWNTOWN

many johnnys posted:

Superman, bloodied on the ground: Help... Bort...

Batman: why did you say that name? My son is also named bort

:chanpop:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Four Score posted:

J Jonah Jameson > Perry White

At least, I can tell who J. Jonah Jameson is: he's a man who intentionally shaves to get a Hitler mustache or close enough.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

lfield posted:

dunno when he started doing it but the deleted scene on youtube shows that he was communicating with darkseid's guys, so you can just chalk it up to alien influence

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

a retard posted:

The irony being that several years later, Disney bought Marvel so it wouldn't have loving mattered haha

Also I read that Eisenberg isn't interested in playing Lex Luthor anymore, making his performance the ultimate troll. poo poo all over the character and then peace out and let the studio and future directors deal with the fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
They can just have him disfigured by a superhero and put him in a dumb suit. Boom, done. I'll be waiting for the check DC/WB.

• Locked thread