Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

5'9" 240 lbs

don't hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
turn left thread nooooo

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Stymie posted:

demonstrably untrue

lifting a weight a few inches for thirty minutes at a stretch barely qualifies as effort, let alone work

you don't know what strongman is do you?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Someone who doesn't quote stymie ?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

really sticking your neck out on that one. gonna screen cap this for when the backlash roles in and you gotta delete ur post history

i'm incredibly brave, thanks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i was in a mcdonalds yesterday and i noticed that you can order a big mac with no meat, only $4

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

turn left thread nooooo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
lmao at this title for a fluff article

Butte tech company makes virtual reality a reality

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

definitely intentional

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

a bunch of guys that can't dead hang for more than a minute, get winded going up slight inclines, and will die from cardiovascular complications before 45?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I'm pretty strong

emotionally

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AWWNAW posted:

I'm pretty strong

emotionally

emotionally, i'm 69kg

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Improbable Lobster posted:

emotionally, i'm 69kg
you lose a lot of weight once you convert out of imperial

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

reading posted:

I don't know if this has happened elsewhere but in Boston there were 1-2 food trucks that got actual, sit-down restaurant sites but they still charged food truck prices ($$$) for food-truck sized portions (hungry in 30 min). Easy to spend $15 just trying to get an actual lunch there.

Best use I found for those places was as a cafe, since in the morning sometimes I just want a good coffee + some small piece of interesting tasty food.

yes this has happened to several food trucks in Minneapolis.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

im 4'20" and 69lb

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Glorgnole posted:

im 4'20" and 69lb

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

JawnV6 posted:

so let me get this straight: microsoft spent months and bodies on creating a foul-mouthed racist bot? they sat down a year ago and said "gosh, wouldn't it be cool if we had this automated thing to spew garbage?" because if that's an "unsurprising" or inevitable result, that's a stupid project to start on. i'm thinking it surprised one or more people at microsoft, because starting to build the thing and doing a PR push around the launch seems misguided.

if they KNEW it would turn to garbage and DIDN'T want that, they should've spent some extra time to build some defenses against that. i'm thinking they didn't consider it rather than they're intentionally building garbage, where do you disagree?

I don't? some of the coverage I saw was essentially blaming them for Twiter's behavior same as that article about the unprofessional hair gis basically said that google is racist which is incorrect

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I wake up to my wife asking why I ate butter and blackberry jam with a fork.

how else you gonna eat that stuff

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Ur right. Been transitioning for the better part of a year, but we were waiting on dem lady hormones until we got preg net. Turns out my crappy balls were cock blocking my titty pills.

Since ivf is so expensive, by the time we have kids I'll be so deep into medical transition it should just be normal to my kids.

Tory, now that I'm not effed up on ambien I hope ur knee surgery goes well. I've torn my acl twice and my rotator cuff once so I know ur pain. It's the worst.

there's other ways to artificially inseminate besides ivf, like iui

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fritz posted:

there's other ways to artificially inseminate besides ivf, like iui

my motility was like 5 percent. they said it was basically impossible other than that. kinda ironic, honestly. we're fine with it, we didn't want to start either kids for a couple more years anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
nothing we don't know but

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/opinion/sunday/congratulations-youve-been-fired.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur&referer=

quote:

HubSpot was founded in 2006 in Cambridge, Mass., and went public in 2014. It’s one of those slick, fast-growing start-ups that are so much in the news these days, with the beanbag chairs and unlimited vacation — a corporate utopia where there is no need for work-life balance because work is life and life is work. Imagine a frat house mixed with a kindergarten mixed with Scientology, and you have an idea of what it’s like.

quote:

The Netflix code has been emulated by countless other companies, including HubSpot, which employed a metric called VORP, or value over replacement player. This brutal idea comes from the world of baseball, where it is used to set prices on players. At HubSpot we got a VORP score in our annual reviews. It was supposed to feel scientific, part of being a “data-driven organization,” as management called it.

quote:

Grinding out phone calls, trying to make a number, hooked to a machine that watches you work — this is progress? The people who worked in the furniture factory probably didn’t have easy lives, either. They certainly didn’t have a beer garden, as workers at HubSpot do. On the other hand, they didn’t go through weeks of training that felt eerily like a cult indoctrination, being told that they could use their “superpowers” to “change people’s lives” by spreading “delightion” to their customers.

delightion lmao

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol, the best way to rank employees is to dehumanize them like the human meat market they is major league sports

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
half the stuff he mentions are things that yosposters constantly espouse, like not treating work as family

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i wonder if the engineering culture at HubSpot is as hosed as it is for non-technical roles

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what needs engineering at a spam company

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
why again are we calling a company founded a decade ago a "startup"

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
amazon, google and yahoo are still called start ups.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"startup" is now just a synonym for "tech company." like "literally" and "i could care less", the actual meaning of the word no longer matters, just the implied meaning.

for instance, a student told me the other day that he wanted to work for "startups like Apple"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it also means "cool" technically sophisticated if not actually tech company

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
plucky, up-and-coming startups such as ibm, ford and the Dutch east India company

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

"startup" is now just a synonym for "tech company." like "literally" and "i could care less", the actual meaning of the word no longer matters, just the implied meaning.

for instance, a student told me the other day that he wanted to work for "startups like Apple"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think it's defined by what a startup is not, really. startups cannot be post-IPO and they cannot be majority owned by a larger company

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I feel like startup carries a connotation of not having a real business plan beyond constant vc rounds and selling ads. I wouldn't call Amazon a startup, but I'd definitely call Uber a startup. You're not a real business until actually doing the thing your company does makes you money.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
A startup is a tech company that deals with apps in some manner.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

MeruFM posted:

half the stuff he mentions are things that yosposters constantly espouse, like not treating work as family

and the company uses it as an excuse to treat the employees like big sacks of ham

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

I'm 6'0 191lbs and am in fantastic shape

do you even scrum?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I am incredibly obese, autistic, and devoid of virility. I can program in 23 languages fluently without an IDE as well as install Arch Linux flawlessly. I post in YOSPOS and have opinions. Game on.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

A startup is a tech company that deals with apps in some manner.

oh okay like these guys then

Only registered members can see post attachments!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Tayter Swift posted:

oh okay like these guys then

They sure are disrupting the employer/employee medical relationship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002