Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

zVxTeflon posted:

Hes still a really good wingman for super Dash. Even more so now that Wampa and Jumpmaster lists are chasing Corran out of the meta

Why would he be remotely good against Wampa and JMs? Unless you're delivering stress yourself, reliably, he's no better than a WSF except for PS, except as a soft counter to Inquisitor and Soontir and the PTL brigade.

There are WAY better wingmen for SuperDash. Not least Poe.

Heck, Superdash/Lothal Rebel could be hilarious...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
He meant that Wampa and U-boats are forcing Corran out of the meta, and that Corran was one of the big reasons Eadon doesn't have a significant meta-presence.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

Well yeah, 4k is the easiest maneuver to judge in the game. It's literally just range 2.

I've never really been good at just eyeballing things like distance before though is the thing, so being able to navigate through obstacles and squeeze my ships in with just the right amount of clearance is something that's taken me a lot of practice, but it seems to be paying off. It's also less a case of just judging the K-turn in a vacuum but "if he turns his large-base ship in this way will I have the clearance to get by it or am I going to bump and wind up stressed for nothing," which is a bit trickier.

I was right about this tournament having more of a Wave 8 presence too. In addition to several triple Jumpmaster lists there were a lot of single JM lists featuring Tel Trevura and, most notably, a Dengar list that went top 12 that actually had the unique experience of several of his opponents declining to take attacks simply because they didn't want to trigger Dengar's extra attack. There were also a number of Ghost lists, all of which were running Biggs as a wingman...two that I remember were a Chopper, Biggs, and 2x A-Wing list while the other was 2x Lothal Rebels + Biggs. And of course plenty of Imp players love the Inquisitor, the guy who's TOing Regionals down in Portland comes up to Dice Age to play and he was running Vader, Inquisitor, and Valen Rudor for the last two tournaments.

Style points go to the guy running Emon Azzameen with six bombs.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Kai Tave posted:

Style points go to the guy running Emon Azzameen with six bombs.

How was he able to have two titles equipped? Something special for the event?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

The problem with ID is that it gives more weight to the games that are played early in a tournament.

Example:

A and B are 4-1
C is 3-2

If A and B play, one of them will lose, and if C wins, him and the loser will both be 4-2 and whoever has highest MOV makes the cut.

With ID, C has no chance, despite having done as good as the loser from A and B, simply because he lost his games earlier.

I don't see it as so unfair, as the person who lost early would have had statistically easier games in their wins.

However I'm for eliminating draws altogether. Give a modified win to the person with 1) less points otherwise 2) the higher seed.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think FFG needs to re-evaluate scoring in its entirely. As is, in 90% of tournaments a Modified Win is as good as a loss anyway. At the Tabletop SC, I was the only person to get a modified win at all, which dropped me all the way out of the X-2 crowd (six rounds) to 13th place (of 46). It was exactly as bad for my standings as if I'd lost the game outright at the same MOV, which is a horrible tournament design.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Gate posted:

How was he able to have two titles equipped? Something special for the event?

Huh, now that I think about it, that's a good question. Might have been an oversight on his part, I never played him, so either he was doing something illegal or simply exaggerating when he talked about it during lunch. I don't think he placed highly anyway, so.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Datapoint: my Redline/2x Scimitars build tabled Kenkirk/Soontir with no losses (though a badly-critted and -stressed Punisher by the end of it). The standard Rocky-and-Bullwinkle ace plus fat tanky ship may not have enough firepower to blow away my ordnance cows fast enough to keep them from unloading. Then again, bad rolls and bad decisions on my opponent's part kept him from taking advantage of my failure to get off the opening alpha strike.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
K Wing with Sabine crew can equip 6 bombs :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

canyoneer posted:

K Wing with Sabine crew can equip 6 bombs :v:

Too bad bombs can't be dropped off a SLAM like they originally said could be done (yes, I'm still bitter).

Two bomb per turn from one ship would be hilarious.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Hey guys, just got back (and woke up after a like 36 hour day) from Roanoke regionals. Some fun stories, but everyone is just going to ask about the IDs anyways, so here's the short story:

Went up with a friend who is close to the nova guys, so I spent most of the day with him/them. Long before anyone was even at the point of being able to abuse the ID, every single person who said anything about it said they don't like the new ID rules.

The first potential ID was Duncan/Jeremy Howard who were playing each other at 4-0 in round 5. Duncan did some math (nothing sketchy) and saw that the best chance for both of them to make it to the cut was playing out their game like normal. The next round when the standings came out we all basically laughed our asses off and THE ROANOKE 8 took a break.

If anyone cares, my run ended at 3-1 after getting matched up losing to Ben Kavanaugh who went undefeated and won. Managed to lose a nearly guaranteed endgame win against him, which is now officially a trend. Had I won that game, I fully intended to take the ID next round, so full disclosure there. Still had an awesome time and met some cool people, highly recommend going to tournaments and having a good time.

Also, Jeremy Howard let me use his 2015 worlds dice while we were trying to find some I could actually differentiate (those were the only ones) which was both outrageously generous and awesome the whole tournament.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Even if you use a reveal bomb and an action bomb, FAQ says limit one bomb per turn, period.

You can still use Advanced SLAM to drop an action bomb.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kai Tave posted:

Huh, now that I think about it, that's a good question. Might have been an oversight on his part, I never played him, so either he was doing something illegal or simply exaggerating when he talked about it during lunch. I don't think he placed highly anyway, so.
e: I was reading the wrong context for this question.

Look, Boba Fett ripped the title off of his own evil twin earlier and then sold it to Emon for some drinks.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 11, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Archenteron posted:

It's the A Wing Test Pilot title.

On a Firespray?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Here's a picture of someone took during my fifth game of the day yesterday. Not seen, the two A-Wings I obliterated in the previous rounds of shooting.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

There was a bit of Punisher chat a few pages back, and that reminded me I still hadn't picked one up since I started playing again. Thinking of taking something like this to the next open table night:

"Redline" (27)
Fire-Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Maarek Stele (27)
Juke (2)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

Juno Eclipse (28)
Predator (3)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Once I get another copy of Juke I'll probably swap Juno's predator for it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My favorite part about the FFG thread re: Roanoke is this post from a TO who'll try their hardest to block you from using this FFG-sanctioned legally-allowed rule:

As a TO, I will say this. Being full set against the rule. But enforcement of them being my responsibility. And I follow the organization rules meticulously. If you come to me asking to draw, I will challenge you to prove to me that you have not discussed it before coming to me. Which I would only be justified in doing. If you are successful in that case I will examine the standings to determine if there is even a remote opportunity for you to be displaced from your rank, and if so disallow the draw as obviously I can't let you change the results of the tournament. So until it's revoked, I will enforce the rules. Most critically. If it's not revoked The Guardtower may need a new TO for their X-wing events.

I love wanting to plead my case to a power-tripping TO. :peanut:

e \/ \/ \/ :lol:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 11, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chill la Chill posted:

My favorite part about the FFG thread re: Roanoke is this post from a TO who'll try their hardest to block you from using this FFG-sanctioned legally-allowed rule:

As a TO, I will say this. Being full set against the rule. But enforcement of them being my responsibility. And I follow the organization rules meticulously. If you come to me asking to draw, I will challenge you to prove to me that you have not discussed it before coming to me. Which I would only be justified in doing. If you are successful in that case I will examine the standings to determine if there is even a remote opportunity for you to be displaced from your rank, and if so disallow the draw as obviously I can't let you change the results of the tournament. So until it's revoked, I will enforce the rules. Most critically. If it's not revoked The Guardtower may need a new TO for their X-wing events.

"I can't do it anymore. Those scum out there colluding to secure tournament position, and I bring them in only to have their slimy lawyers get them released to the streets to do it again. Your way doesn't work anymore, Captain, I can't play by these rules--"
*throws his badge on the desk dramatically*
"--The Guardtower may need a new TO for their X-Wing events."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

On the plus side, at least you'll only need to do it once, before they're out the door! :v:

EDIT: ^^Or that! :D

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Madurai posted:

Datapoint: my Redline/2x Scimitars build tabled Kenkirk/Soontir with no losses (though a badly-critted and -stressed Punisher by the end of it). The standard Rocky-and-Bullwinkle ace plus fat tanky ship may not have enough firepower to blow away my ordnance cows fast enough to keep them from unloading. Then again, bad rolls and bad decisions on my opponent's part kept him from taking advantage of my failure to get off the opening alpha strike.

Interesting. Who died first, Kenkirk or Soontir?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dulkor posted:

There was a bit of Punisher chat a few pages back, and that reminded me I still hadn't picked one up since I started playing again. Thinking of taking something like this to the next open table night:

"Redline" (27)
Fire-Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Maarek Stele (27)
Juke (2)
TIE/x1 (0)

Juno Eclipse (28)
Predator (3)
TIE/x1 (0)

Predator is probably better on Juno thank Juke, frankly. You get some kind of offensive modification regardless of which action(s) you take. Lone Wolf works pretty good for this, too.

With Juke, you Evade or you might as well not have an EPT. The only TIE Adv pilot it makes sense on is Vader, who can Evade and do something else.

So I don't like Juke on Maarek either. I'd, again, go for Lone Wolf or Predator. Calculation is also a reasonable choice: with Maarek's ability, another Crit is nothing to sneeze at.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here's a regionals Cluster Mine token someone got, with a cardboard token overlaid on the top.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Win regionals and get an extra 3mm on your cluster mines seems reasonable to me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's fine because nobody ever uses Cluster Mines.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Predator is probably better on Juno thank Juke, frankly. You get some kind of offensive modification regardless of which action(s) you take. Lone Wolf works pretty good for this, too.

With Juke, you Evade or you might as well not have an EPT. The only TIE Adv pilot it makes sense on is Vader, who can Evade and do something else.

So I don't like Juke on Maarek either. I'd, again, go for Lone Wolf or Predator. Calculation is also a reasonable choice: with Maarek's ability, another Crit is nothing to sneeze at.

Good points. I haven't actually tried any of this on the table yet so some of it was idle guessing. Think I might try swapping for Calculation since it's a card I haven't used before and either running the list at 99 or tweaking Redline's munitions for either a proton torp, an assault missile, or a second copy of concussion.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tacopocalypse posted:

Interesting. Who died first, Kenkirk or Soontir?

Soontir. Though before that he did dodge a four-hit concussion missile strike with three rolled evades and a token. Galling, really.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Stay on Target is entertaining on Juno, too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dulkor posted:

Good points. I haven't actually tried any of this on the table yet so some of it was idle guessing. Think I might try swapping for Calculation since it's a card I haven't used before and either running the list at 99 or tweaking Redline's munitions for either a proton torp, an assault missile, or a second copy of concussion.

I think you should just go for the protorps, they synergize incredibly well with chips + Redline's double target lock. Initiative isn't as huge a deal for you since your top PS ship is an 8, so 9+ aces are going to go after/shoot before you anyway, but you're all high PS enough to have advantage over things like triple Scouts or non-VI brobots.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

canyoneer posted:

Here's a regionals Cluster Mine token someone got, with a cardboard token overlaid on the top.

Wow, from what I can see they don't even fit snugly with the movement template. Someone done hosed up a mould.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Let's talk Dengar.

Currently I'm using Push the Limit, Punishing One title, K4 Security Droid, Engine Upgrade, Unhinged Astromech, and Engine Upgrade for 56 points. Add Glitterstim to make it 58.

He's kind of like the best parts of Dash and Corran Horn meshed together. The double-tap is really good, and the ability to boost, barrel roll, and still get dice modification is amazing.

However, I've had some trouble coming up with a suitable wingman for him. I've had the most luck with the YV-666, of all things. I consider Gunner, Bossk (crew), and 4-LOM to be standard issue.

I have the points to take the PS2 Trandoshan Slaver with Engine Upgrade, or PS5 Latts without Engine. I've had luck with both. Engine is nice because it helps the Slaver get shots. Latts is nice because she's PS5 (shoots before most generics) and her ability synergizes well with Dengar.

I really wish I could take Latts WITH engine. I just don't have the points without sacrificing something on Dengar.

Anyone here tried Dengar? Who's your wingman?

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Dulkor posted:

"Redline" (27)
Fire-Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Maarek Stele (27)
Juke (2)
TIE/x1 (0)

Juno Eclipse (28)
Predator (3)
TIE/x1 (0)

I've played more Advanced aces that aren't vader than anyone should, here's my thoughts:

Basically, Maarek's strength is in being a glass cannon. You absolutely need dice mods to get that crit through or you're basically a TIE Fighter, so I'd recommend either predator and taking an evade or focus if you think you'll survive every turn, OR PtL + TIE/mk2 for focus/evade. E: Crack shot is another reasonable decision, not one I've tried though.

Juno's pilot ability gets dramatically better the higher PS you are, so VI is a very good choice and gets you some anti-ace damage. It'll be hard to get damage through on the likes of soontir or whatever if you get there in the late game, you've got consistent damage and can't be arc dodged to other PS8+ out there.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

ConfusedUs posted:

Let's talk Dengar.

Currently I'm using Push the Limit, Punishing One title, K4 Security Droid, Engine Upgrade, Unhinged Astromech, and Engine Upgrade for 56 points. Add Glitterstim to make it 58.

He's kind of like the best parts of Dash and Corran Horn meshed together. The double-tap is really good, and the ability to boost, barrel roll, and still get dice modification is amazing.

However, I've had some trouble coming up with a suitable wingman for him. I've had the most luck with the YV-666, of all things. I consider Gunner, Bossk (crew), and 4-LOM to be standard issue.

I have the points to take the PS2 Trandoshan Slaver with Engine Upgrade, or PS5 Latts without Engine. I've had luck with both. Engine is nice because it helps the Slaver get shots. Latts is nice because she's PS5 (shoots before most generics) and her ability synergizes well with Dengar.

I really wish I could take Latts WITH engine. I just don't have the points without sacrificing something on Dengar.

Anyone here tried Dengar? Who's your wingman?

Sensor Jammer/LW/Cloak/AT Guri, no joke

In other news, Doug Kinney put a literal minor on blast on his Facebook, implying he is not a good person, and (direct text) said "gently caress him" w/r/t your homeboy Heaver because of the ID fuckfest that continues to fester like an open sore. Heaver responded on FFG's forums in a particularly non-constructive way. What a bad loving look for competitive X-Wing over the last two major tournies, seriously. Whether you think the intentional or draw is good or bad, I would say it's probably time to make your peace with it, because the sheer amount of stupid drama it's created will probably lead to it being thrown out by the end of the business day tomorrow (later today, EST).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guts and bolts posted:

Sensor Jammer/LW/Cloak/AT Guri, no joke

I'm not sold. I've actually tried a Starviper as a wingman, and it doesn't work. Neither Guri nor Xizor. They're just not effective enough, offensively or defensively, for the points.

When you only have two ships, both have to be peak efficiency. Every shot counts.

Guri comes as close as a Starviper can, but it's not enough.

Not to mention that I don't see a Lone Wolf wingman as compatible with Dengar like, at all. Dengar isn't Dash. He doesn't have to hang out at range 3 and snipe.

All that said, Xizor with Sensor Jammer, Bodyguard, Autothrusters, title, and glitterstim is hilarious if you can keep them at range 1 of each other. Shooting Xizor is an exercise in frustration as he just spreads the damage around. Shooting Dengar gets you a double-tap. If safe, Xizor will even boost Dengar's agility. It's funny.

Doesn't make it good, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Endman posted:

Wow, from what I can see they don't even fit snugly with the movement template. Someone done hosed up a mould.

I'd be shocked if they're not laser cut, but someone sure hosed something up somehow.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

He meant that Wampa and U-boats are forcing Corran out of the meta, and that Corran was one of the big reasons Eadon doesn't have a significant meta-presence.

Why would Corran be a reason Eadon didn't have a meta presence? IDGI

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd be shocked if they're not laser cut, but someone sure hosed something up somehow.

That someone needs to re-learn AutoCAD.

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 11, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Why would Corran be a reason Eadon didn't have a meta presence? IDGI

Because in the context of Dash wingmen hes better than Eadon and more people prob prefer him and his playstyle. They are two very different ships. Eadons biggest job is to run interference for Dash and thus you usually win slower and Corrans job is to poo poo out dmg and give you 2 end game capable ships. Eadons ability is ok but its not really something you build a list around so hes basically relegated to wingman status. With the arrival wampa and jumpmasters Corran took a backseat because both ships take a steamy turd on Corrans head.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I still don't see why Corran being worse would somehow make Eadon not terrible.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Because he was never terrible as a Dash wingman in the first place. He just went from being maybe a 2ndish tier option to closer to the top now in this meta. Like I dont get the confusion here.

The key points here are

quote:

As a Dash wingman
and

quote:

in this meta

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I honestly don't see how he would ever have been good as a Dash wingman though, is the point. Whether or not Corran is bad, doesn't make Eadon a good choice over e.g. Poe.

• Locked thread