Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I find the Jobin Is A Rock Human theory really odd considering that he has a history in this world, a father, siblings, a son and a wife who all recognize him and can say Yes, That Is My Son/Brother/Dad. Don't the Rock Humans take the identity of children who had gone missing years ago and considering we have no knowledge of a Jobin Higashikata going missing. Also if he was a rock human, I feel Damo's group would be able to convince him to work with them more easily than threatening the life of his son.

Jobin is a weird, and cool human dad imo. Even he recognizes that Joshuu is a loser and brushes him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

multijoe posted:

I have to admit I've not yet read JJL, I only know it has less evil-Kira, but as Norisuke is still alive I guess he does win by default

Norisuke is great, and it's always amusing the answer to "So who is the main character in this JoJo?" is like seventeen pages with a flowchart. JJL good JoJo.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Finished part 7 today and I feel bummed out. I don't want to start reading part 8 since it's not done yet. Especially not since it's monthly.
Also a bummer that 7 is so good it diminishes my excitement for seeing part 5 and 6 animated and I just want them to skip straight to SBR.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm reading Part 6 right now, and this Bohemian Rhapsody part might the craziest thing I've seen in this Part yet and that's saying something.

Part 6 puts the Bizarre in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
For people up to date on Jojolion, without spoiling it is there any indication of how much longer it's going to run for?

Dastardly posted:

Finished part 7 today and I feel bummed out. I don't want to start reading part 8 since it's not done yet. Especially not since it's monthly.
Also a bummer that 7 is so good it diminishes my excitement for seeing part 5 and 6 animated and I just want them to skip straight to SBR.

People in this thread do not approve of skipping parts, be wary.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

I'm reading Part 6 right now, and this Bohemian Rhapsody part might the craziest thing I've seen in this Part yet and that's saying something.

Heheheheheheheh.......Yep. Pretty crazy.
Pretty Crazy.

Please do us a favor and livepost here in the hypothetical event that things get even crazier in the near future?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

CJ posted:

For people up to date on Jojolion, without spoiling it is there any indication of how much longer it's going to run for?
I think it depends a lot on where the current bad guy stands in relation to the final boss.

I'd be surprised if we’re more than halfway through at the most, though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, I wish I had posted here while reading the manga, but I always want to finish something before talking about it to avoid spoilers. Would've been nice to post here about all the impossible scenarios that tickle my fancy instead of annoying my girlfriend with constant "okay, so i'm reading JoJo and..." that barely make sense in context.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Where the gently caress is Mickey?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Jojolion has at the very least reached its midpoint.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

going off of chapter count in steel ball run, jojolion is roughly about halfway through, yeah. i can't imagine it would be noticeably any longer or shorter to the point where it makes a huge difference. about the time for the main villain to pop up, too.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We're getting all these major revelations and a ton of information in a story which, thus far, has revolved around solving a central mystery.

Unless there's another, paradigm shifting twist later on, this is most definitely the threshold point.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We're at the point where the main villain usually comes into view, so who knows.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My JJL mystery: is it Jojo-lee-on or Jojo-lion?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Dias posted:

My JJL mystery: is it Jojo-lee-on or Jojo-lion?

God I heard it actually said on something and was like "finally! now I know!" and promptly forgot.

Jojo-lee-on I thought? Never ask me to pronounce things. Recently I realized that I was saying Bruno's last name completely wrong in my head. Whoops.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's meant to be said in the same sense as 'evangelion' or whatever, as i think araki directly said that in some interview or another.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I remember that Araki said in an interview that it is said like Evangelion, but that was somewhere on the wikipedia page so who knows.

e:f,b

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So Jojo-lee-on it is. A Cruel Beetle's Thesis.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jo-jo-leon.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think the other way of saying it would even make any real sense, either, unless lions somehow have way more significance than literally anything so far has told us.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Aha! The Araki SaidTM is from the author's note for part 8 volume 2:

quote:

The "lion" in the title"Jojolion" means things like "blessed thing", "evangelistic", and "commemorative seal". It's a word from ancient Greek or something like that. By combining this word with "Jojo", I've meant for the title to signify the existence of the protagonist "Jousuke" in this world. It's also used in the name of the tragic king in a Greek myth called "Pigmalion" as well as the Japanese animation "Evangelion", but I'm not sure if it has to do with the same idea.

In the end, like everything in JoJo, it's because it sounds cool.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think the other way of saying it would even make any real sense, either, unless lions somehow have way more significance than literally anything so far has told us.

maybe it has something to do with dandelions I dunno it's Japan doing english-ish names

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's an Araki Said™ that Araki dislikes Evangelion by the way, something along the lines of it being long winded, over complicated tripe.

The pygmalion reference is probably this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamorphoses

Pygmalion falls in love with a statue, aka a rock man.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's an Araki Said™ that Araki dislikes Evangelion by the way, something along the lines of it being long winded, over complicated tripe.
Araki continues to have excellent taste in everything.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JJL vol. 5 author's note posted:

There are some things I just kinda have fun drawing. Previously, I really enjoyed doing the character Polnareff's hairstyle, the original Jousuke's hairstyle, Killer Queen's whole design, and Soft & Wet's ears. Those sort of drawings where you draw them up with a "swish swish", I go "Ooh!" from the impression it gives myself. This time, I have a lot of fun drawing Yasuho-chan's skirt and don't want to let anyone else draw it, but whenever I do draw it, I always think the flowers on the skirt have got to feel lumpy on her butt so she can't sit down. Are you okay, Yasuho? I'm a little worried.

Araki is good and pure.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want to live in Araki's world.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rohan is like 1:1 Araki.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I just finished reading Part 4, that was mega excellent and definitely my favorite part so far. How much of Part 5 is left in terms of it needed to be re-translated to actually be readable? I'll wait for it to be done before I jump on it but I'm definitely gonna shotgun through 5 and 6 when I have the chance. (I read Steel Ball Run for whatever reason the year the anime started.)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Part 5 retranslation is about halfway done I think, but it's been slow going.

One of the guys who works on it, Dan, posts in this thread. Now that I've invoked his name I'm sure he'll pop in to give you the details.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rohan is like 1:1 Araki.

As far as I know Rohan is not an immortal vampire.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's no proof saying he isn't.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

True

He's an immortal ultimate pillar man vampire rock human.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I loved the little bit in Part 6 where time is accelerating but Rohan is still meeting his deadlines.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait until Rohan shows up in Part 8 and has been so absorbed in his manga that he hasn't realized that the universe reset.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Araki said™ that Part 8 will get a mangaka but not Kishibe Rohan.

Looking forward to Kishibe Rohanna.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gonna demand a source on that one.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Araki said™ that Part 8 will get a mangaka but not Kishibe Rohan.

He'll show up next chapter and just walk into Higashikata house while Damo's loving torturing people and will start complaining about how no one's cleaning up the damage from the earthquake fast enough and god I guess money can't buy taste because this house looks like garbage then just walk out without helping anyone or anything. Later, he'll wage an extremely epic paper battle with Tsurugi after accidentally stepping on one of his origami frogs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Gonna demand a source on that one.

I think it's part of the All Star Battle thing that is widely cited as saying SBR isn't Ireneverse (which it actually doesn't).

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think it's part of the All Star Battle thing that is widely cited as saying SBR isn't Ireneverse (which it actually doesn't).

It was either that one or a different interview he did for ASB. I think he said there'd be a crazy artist, not a mangaka specifically though. I figured he was talking about Yotsuyu since it was right before he showed up.
And the article calls JJL a parallel universe, that's why people always cite it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

The pygmalion reference is probably this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamorphoses

Pygmalion falls in love with a statue, aka a rock man.

i've cracked the mystery wide open: yasuho is a rock girl