Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Rose, Cassandra, Scott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scott, Akatsuki, Susan

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Cassandra, Susan, Scott

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Those empty rooms behind the moon doors are just begging for some kind of quest to point there.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Cassandra, Charlotte, Scott.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It doesn't look like there are gonna be anymore votes, so VOTING IS CLOSED! Final Results:

Cassandra: 12
Akatsuki: 10
Susan MEGAQUEEN: 8
Faye: 7
Asteria: 7
Scott: 7

Alice: 6
Charlotte: 6
Rose: 1
Fang: 1
Sidney: 0

My Choice: 1

Well it's a 3 way tie for 4th and 5th place. So, I'm gonna break it by making the final party Cassandra, Scott, Susan, Akatsuki, and Asteria! This was actually kind of a tough decision, as I really wanted Alice in there to snag a conditional drop, but having her and Akatsuki in the same party is a bit redundant. Susan has Prevent Order, so I can take care of ailments that way. Also, I'm debating on whether or not to rework Scott's skillset to nab him Pincushion at this point.

Man I really need to get those class showcases done, the LP's almost over at this point. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay question. This is Scott's current build.

Now I know that this build was the one I showed off, where he's an okay physical attacker, while nothing special. However, I decided to rearrange his skill point distribution.

You'll notice that I got rid of Hanging in order to get a different skill, Pincushion. It's his ultimate damage skill, which is a random target skill that deals 145% damage with each hit. At level 10, it can hit 1 to 3 times. It may not sound like much, especially with that hefty TP cost of 32 at level 10, but there's another thing about it. Scott's AGI is factored into its damage as well, with 3 times his AGI added onto the damage modifier for each hit. So each hit of Pincushion in this case would actually deal 292% damage per hit, maxing out at 876% damage (though the average damage output would be 584%) I didn't beeline for this earlier, because the with the way the game takes AGI into account, this would have made Scott's early and mid game far worse to unlock a skill that deals less damage than Hanging. But now that his AGI is high enough, that's not an issue.

So I guess my question to you all is, do I turn on murder mode for Scott or not? I'm gonna try to get Pincushion either way, but this is really asking if I should get it now or wait till later. (Mainly because if I changed his build without putting up a vote, it would technically be false advertising since I showcased a weaker Scott. :v:)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 11, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Engage the murder mode. :getin:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Why is this even a question? :black101: MURDER MODE! :black101:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Our friendly neighborhood is already swinging around the Jolly Roger, why not go full bore?

:black101:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is a game that stupid people like me never figured out. So always turn on murder mode. It's cathartic to watch someone who knows what they're doing break the game.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
People more skilled than I am breaking games I liked but feel resentful towards is my favourite thing. Murder this game and suck the marrow from its bones, please.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

RareAcumen posted:

This is a game that stupid people like me never figured out. So always turn on murder mode. It's cathartic to watch someone who knows what they're doing break the game.

So much this. I loved the EO games, but I'm horrible at them. It's great watching someone knowledgeable break this game over their knee. Murder mode, please.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Murder murder murder :hist101:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Murder murder murder :hist101:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

A buccaneer not using pincushion is no true buccaneer. ENGAGE MURDER MODE!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dr. Fetus posted:

do I turn on murder mode for Scott or not?

:black101: How is this even a question. :black101:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

Why is this even a question? :black101: MURDER MODE! :black101:

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I think it's safe to say the viewers want to talk about MURDER.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Murder!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why do you even bother asking at this point? Every time there was a vote like this, it ended on a completely one-sided victory. Dr. Fetus, you have to know it'll be no different this time, we'll all vote for murder, me included!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
FLIP THE SWITCH AND ENGAGE IN THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Murder mode it is! Incidentally, increasing AGI grants more damage than increasing STR when it comes to Pincushion. This is because AGI directly increases the damage multiplier, which is how the damage numbers get so big. STR is still a factor, but AGI just gives more in this case.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
One point of strength increases Scott's damage with 1,2% while one point of agility increases his damage with 1%. That said, if you keep adding more and more strength and agility in equal quantities, eventually agility will grant more damage.

Strength has the problem that damage is proportional to the square root of it while agility has the problem that damage is proportional to it + a constant and that Scott has more of it than strength.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Why do you even bother asking at this point? Every time there was a vote like this, it ended on a completely one-sided victory. Dr. Fetus, you have to know it'll be no different this time, we'll all vote for murder, me included!

Plus, it's not like there's a way to deal with enemies besides murdering them. Your options are kill, die, or run away. And you'll probably come back just to actually slaughter them afterwards.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Whatever you do, please keep Charlotte's Kaishaku on and maxed, that poo poo is hilarious :allears:

Also, what's wrong with Persona Q? I loving love Persona 3 and 4 to pieces and I was planning to play it someday. You can spoil it for me I don't mind.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 12, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

SSNeoman posted:

Also, what's wrong with Persona Q? I loving love Persona 3 and 4 to pieces and I was planning to play it someday. You can spoil it for me I don't mind.

* Persona Q's plot has barely anything to do with Persona 3 or 4. Everything gets reset in the end and no-one has any memories of what happened. The P3 and P4 casts could've just been replaced with the player making their own characters, ala a normal EO game, and the plot would barely change.

* The game's balance is so ridiculously hosed. Offensive magic is just straight-up not worth casting unless you already have Boost since it'll drain so much of your SP. Naoto completely snaps the game in half because enemies in PQ have both really bad ailment resistances (Zeus, the postgame superboss, only has loving 25% resistance to panic for crying out loud) and nearly every random encounter has either a Hama or Mudo weakness, and barely any enemies nullify both types. Impure Reach is basically Wild Mastery in that it ignores any resistances that aren't immunities, but this time around it's 30% instead of 15%. Oh, I mentioned panic earlier: nothing in Persona Q, aside from the Captor Spider, is immune to panic. Every single boss aside from the Captor Spider is very easily cheesed with panic, and it's not like it's hard to inflict even without Impure Reach.

* FOEs are incredibly massive HP sponges and take forever to kill, even if you fight them a long time after you've finished the Labyrinth.

* FOEs respawn instantly after you warp out of the Labyrinth, meaning a semi-core part of EO (being able to kill FOEs to bypass their puzzles) is just gone.

* The writing is bad and suffers from Persona 4 spinoff syndrome where everyone is either turned into caricatures of themselves or barely characters at all. Remember how Akihiko was dedicated to training in P3 and sometimes mentioned protein? He now mentions protein nearly every other line.

* Inaba Pride is the single worst Labyrinth in all of EO (backtracking galore and the latter part of it requires that you do puzzles all in one go, akin to more massive versions of EO3 B14F I guess) and Clock Tower isn't much better.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

It's not necessarily a bad game (That would be Etrian Mystery Dungeon. Avoid that one at all costs) but it's pretty mediocre.

Gameplay wise, it's a really lacking version of Etrian Odyssey. The gameplay is watered down and it stops baring teeth and ends up being a boring slog, even on the highest difficulty due to certain balancing decisions. (A few things of note: Accumulative Resistance does not exist in Persona Q. There is also a passive ability that causes ailments and Instant Death to have a guaranteed 30% chance of landing as long as the target isn't immune to them. This goes exactly about as well you would expect.) Actually trying to play by the game's rules resulted in an unfun slog due to FOEs and bosses being HP sponges. Also the 4th Stratum/Labyrinth is just not that fun to go through due to its gimmick and is pretty much what caused me to put the game down.

Story wise, the characters are one note gags like in most other Persona spinoffs that end up getting grating after a little while. Kind of made worse since the characters aren't allowed to get character development due to the game being canon and taking place in the middle of P3 and P4.

I'm sure someone else can explain all this better.

EDIT: Oh, I guess someone did.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
To be fair to a pretty meh game, the music is fantastic and visually, the third stratum is my favorite out of all EO games. As someone who did not abuse ailments playing through though, I can concur that bosses just take way too drat long to die in PQ.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Clock Tower is so long that it's not even funny.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ragnar Homsar posted:

* Persona Q's plot has barely anything to do with Persona 3 or 4. Everything gets reset in the end and no-one has any memories of what happened. The P3 and P4 casts could've just been replaced with the player making their own characters, ala a normal EO game, and the plot would barely change.

I figured they would do this given it's supposed to take place before P3's ending, seeing as P3's protag is still up and about.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

* The writing is bad and suffers from Persona 4 spinoff syndrome where everyone is either turned into caricatures of themselves or barely characters at all. Remember how Akihiko was dedicated to training in P3 and sometimes mentioned protein? He now mentions protein nearly every other line.

* Inaba Pride is the single worst Labyrinth in all of EO (backtracking galore and the latter part of it requires that you do puzzles all in one go, akin to more massive versions of EO3 B14F I guess) and Clock Tower isn't much better.

These two on the other hand are deal breakers. P3 and P4 characters are extremely cool and likable. I hate what Atlus spin-offs do to them (seriously Atlus did you forget what Rise's arc was all about?) and the additional characters ruin the otherwise great games (like Marie).
That really sucks :(

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

(That would be Etrian Mystery Dungeon. Avoid that one at all costs)

Likewise, what's so bad about EMD?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Likewise, what's so bad about EMD?

It combines the worst aspects of Shiren the Wanderer and Etrian Odyssey to create an unenjoyable slog. The party AI is awful, and unlike in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, you can't do much about it other than going solo, which utterly breaks the game's exp curve. The FOE equivalent in this game, known as DOEs, cannot take more than one point of damage unless they have 2 ailments or debuffs on them. Oh, and debuffs have accuracy checks in this game, instead of being automatically applied, so they're annoying to take down.

Also, I data mined the Ninja's skill data a while back. Diminishing returns does not begin to describe the skills in this game. And yes, every class is designed like that.

And as a kicker, if you are looking to 100% this game for some insane reason, let me stop you right there.

quote:

Sky Kaiser's Drop Rates:

Beast Horns: 100%
Beast Spikes: 15%
Amber Flakes: 5%

Demented King's Drop Rates:

Orange Shard: 100%
Purple Shard: 15%
Green Shard: 5%

The Sky Kaiser and the Demented King are post game bosses with incredibly rare drops. Now with patience, you could farm for the Sky Kaiser's rare drop. However the Demented King is the boss of a 61 floor dungeon, which resets your level to 1. And unlike the other dungeons in the game, you cannot set up a check point in the middle of it. It can take up to 4 hours to go through said dungeon.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 12, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...So in EMD, there isn't a Persona 3-esque AI customization option with preset commands (All Out, Play Defensively, Conserve TP, Heal and Support, etc.)?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Junpei posted:

...So in EMD, there isn't a Persona 3-esque AI customization option with preset commands (All Out, Play Defensively, Conserve TP, Heal and Support, etc.)?

oh, hey you're back. and no, it's simpler then that. and by simpler, I mean dumber.

EDIT; While EMD is a steaming pile of crap and lazy work, I will praise it's soundtrack's versions of beloved songs from across the series. since they're all beautiful to listen to with headphones.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 14, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This is why you don't screw around with FOEs that can instantly kill your party members. Also, it has been a long while since I got sucker punched by the game like that. (And lost a whole hour of progress. Ow, my hubris.) The next update also just got delayed for who knows how long.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thanks a lot, Mortal Hunter! Now we won't get our update! Screw you!

Junpei fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 16, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's kind of weird seeing those mantises as a Stratum 5 enemy. Every other game usually has them in the 1st or 2nd, introducing the Icy Mantises by this point.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's a cool thing about Porcelain Forest, you'll see some familiar faces that you would usually encounter waaaaaaaaay earlier in previous games. It's a good way to cap things for the DS games, showing how far you've come and have the tools and skills necessary to take them down in comparison to the "difficulty" of facing them early in the old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I always enjoyed having the early EO early stratum enemies showing up in the later strata, if only for the ridiculousness of seeing a tree rat as a late-game enemy.

• Locked thread