Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

Aren't jokes supposed to be funny though?

Like any time anyone asks a question about SD cards someone will fly in with a generic anime collection quip, and it's tiring to the max.

Embarrassed about your collection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Like any time anyone asks a question about SD cards someone will fly in with a generic anime collection quip, and it's tiring to the max.

Anime collector spotted.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If the HTC M10 doesn't natively support 10 bit animes, we riot.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I just have so many animes and so little on board storage.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Most of the time it is about their anime collection though. Nobody would need an external memory card or a video player app on their phone otherwise. Normal people use netflix and youtube.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm going 50/50 on being able to find stuff I want to watch on Netflix right now, good thing I'm not paying for it!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

broken clock opsec posted:

I'm going 50/50 on being able to find stuff I want to watch on Netflix right now, good thing I'm not paying for it!

Yeah the winning strat for netflix is to let it build up, subscribe for a month and binge, then put your account back on hold.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Most of the time it is about their anime collection though. Nobody would need an external memory card or a video player app on their phone otherwise. Normal people use netflix and youtube.

I actually use the CrunchyRoll app if I really need to watch anime :colbert:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Skeezy posted:

I actually use the CrunchyRoll app if I really need to watch anime :colbert:

I was going to bring that up, haha.

I know plenty of people who fill up their phones taking pictures. This anime strawman is tired as hell and was never relevant.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I was going to bring that up, haha.

I know plenty of people who fill up their phones taking pictures. This anime strawman is tired as hell and was never relevant.

Google photos means you don't need to keep the pictures on device! 32gb is enough for anybody.

They even make it really easy to reclaim space:

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 10, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I got tired of waiting for either Vodafone UK or Samsung to push the March Security update to my S7, so I did a bit of Googling and grabbed Samsung's Kies software. It allows you to download the latest software for the S7 and flash it onto the phone, so now I'm up to date.

It wiped the phone completely to do so though, but is there a way to use that program to update the phone without a full wipe? Or would having done this have me get updates direct from Samsung now?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use my $5 32gb SD card on my S7 for Google Music caching and Plex syncing because my gym WiFi is poo poo. It's really not that important though, I'd easily make do with onboard storage.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Went up to Best Buy today and stared longingly at the S7 Edge. Great looking phone but I can't decide if its worth $300 more than the Nexus 6P. My Nexus 4 is definitely due for an upgrade, don't think I'm going to make it to the next Nexus release (plus I hear HTC is doing this year's and I want nothing to do with them).

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 11, 2016

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Hughmoris posted:

Went up to Best Buy today and stared longingly at the S7 Edge. Great looking phone but I can't decide if its worth $300 more than the Nexus 6P. My Nexus 4 is definitely do for an upgrade, don't think I'm going to make it to the next Nexus release (plus I hear HTC is doing this year's and I want nothing to do with them).

I love the Edge, but probably get the 6P.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I have a 2015 Moto X that decided it didn't like my microSD card. I had it set as expanded internal formatted storage for months but it refuses to recognize there's even a card inserted now. Running Android 6.0.

Am I basically boned for ever getting info off it? I've tried every combination of removing and rebooting and reinserting I can think of, nothing.

That'll show me for using a new feature...

E: Oh holky gently caress my last ditch effort worked! I put the card in a microSD to MicroUSB adapter and plugged it in. I gave up and let it sit there while I typed this because it didn't seem to do anything and it mounted the card!

I can retrieve my photos now and make sure my photo backup is actually working now. :dance:

So uhhh, yeah. Make sure your backups are actually backing up! Don't almost lose 6 months of photos like this dumbass!

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 11, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

I have a 2015 Moto X that decided it didn't like my microSD card. I had it set as expanded internal formatted storage for months but it refuses to recognize there's even a card inserted now.

oneofthefewthingssamsunggotright.txt

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Alan_Shore posted:

Like for real though, who needs an SD card but for those strange edge cases?

poo poo I take a bunch of pics and videos of my kid and I've never worried about this. I just back poo poo up to Google Photos. Hell, I showed my wife how to do it for her 16gb Moto X and she loves it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PirateDentist posted:

I have a 2015 Moto X that decided it didn't like my microSD card. I had it set as expanded internal formatted storage for months but it refuses to recognize there's even a card inserted now. Running Android 6.0.

Am I basically boned for ever getting info off it? I've tried every combination of removing and rebooting and reinserting I can think of, nothing.

That'll show me for using a new feature...

E: Oh holky gently caress my last ditch effort worked! I put the card in a microSD to MicroUSB adapter and plugged it in. I gave up and let it sit there while I typed this because it didn't seem to do anything and it mounted the card!

I can retrieve my photos now and make sure my photo backup is actually working now. :dance:

So uhhh, yeah. Make sure your backups are actually backing up! Don't almost lose 6 months of photos like this dumbass!

Google photos will automatically back up your photos...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Google photos also does a bunch of insanely cool indexing. Like you can search for "rubber ducks" and it will like use robot vision to look through your poo poo and pull them up. Tons of "free" value for using it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Like for real though, who needs an SD card but for those strange edge cases?

poo poo I take a bunch of pics and videos of my kid and I've never worried about this. I just back poo poo up to Google Photos. Hell, I showed my wife how to do it for her 16gb Moto X and she loves it.

You're burying the lede here, which is: she didn't know how to do that. I assume you're both young: imagine how many people older than you two haven't ever thought about cloud storage.

Android is enabling their users to turn their phones into portable data graves by embracing SD, sure. As people who know better: who are we to complain? We will purchase fast SD cards and replace them frequently. They may not. And? I think a better user experience will be had overall, which is exactly what Google was shooting for.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Doesn't Google photos a) come standard on Android phones and b) strongly emphasize cloud storage during setup?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can't figure out how to turn off these trending suggestions off.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 11, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If you're living a normal American life and just go from your home to your office daily, then sure you absolutely don't need an SD card. I wouldn't.

But if like me you're travelling the world and you don't have a SIM card and you don't know when you'll find that sweet sweet wifi again, then an SD card is essential for pinning Play music/playing FLAC music/downloading tons of podcasts/videos/taking photos etc. And not one 10 bit anime in sight.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Alan_Shore posted:

If you're living a normal American life and just go from your home to your office daily, then sure you absolutely don't need an SD card. I wouldn't.

But if like me you're travelling the world and you don't have a SIM card and you don't know when you'll find that sweet sweet wifi again, then an SD card is essential for pinning Play music/playing FLAC music/downloading tons of podcasts/videos/taking photos etc. And not one 10 bit anime in sight.

If you were actually travelling the world, like me, you'd know that the whole world is the same now and you'll find wifi at the Starbucks around the corner, same as every other country. No need for SD cards, just common sense.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Whizbang posted:

If you were actually travelling the world, like me, you'd know that the whole world is the same now and you'll find wifi at the Starbucks around the corner, same as every other country. No need for SD cards, just common sense.

First sign that someone actually hasn't traveled the world outside major urban centers is that they think this.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CLAM DOWN posted:

First sign that someone actually hasn't traveled the world outside major urban centers is that they think this.

Well yeah, if I was going to go visit some dirty poors or whatever I'd need to buy a phone case first and that ruins the aesthetics.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

My phone literally doesn't even work when I go back to my Maine hometown because it only has radios that connect to Tmobile or AT&T towers in the US. You don't even need to travel internationally to run into the issue.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
The Android Thread: This poo poo Again

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well I think we can all agree that in this day and age there is zero excuse for 64Gb internal storage not being the standard in all phones as memory is so cheap now.

...right friends?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Well I think we can all agree that in this day and age there is zero excuse for 64Gb internal storage not being the standard in all phones as memory is so cheap now.

...right friends?

Should be 256gb minimum now. Unless you get a nexus. Then 8gb for you.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

32gb is enough. Anything more encourages users to maintain local media collections.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Smythe posted:

Google photos will automatically back up your photos...

If you use it. I have software that works with my Synology NAS that unfortunately had an issue. It has since been fixed.

I may send stuff up to photos as well, I just don't want my only backup on google.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

32gb is enough. Anything more encourages users to maintain local media collections.

Your brain is a local media collection.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Your brain is a local media collection.

I can stream any song in my brain that is available.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I can't figure out how to turn off these trending suggestions off.

There are about a million threads on the Google forums about this, and it seems there is no way to disable it without completely turning off Google Now.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

chippy posted:

The Android Thread: This poo poo Again

Yes, this please.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is in the Samsung fucks up something everytime they get something right category, I have found an issue with Good Lock, the new Samsung notification tray, lock screen, and app switcher that we are talking about a few pages ago. It seems that there is no way to turn on or off Miracast/Smart-View with it. The only place that you could access this function was on the old notification tray's 20 shortcuts.

I did find a widget on the play store that will toggle it on and off.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Having a bit of an issue with photos I download not showing up in any Messenger app I use. It used to be that when I downloaded a photo off Chrome, Reddit Sync, or whatever, I could go to Messenger or FB Messenger and just send the photos. But now for whatever reason I can't open any of my downloaded stuff on those apps.

This wasn't the norm back when I had the Nexus 5 or the S6.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really wanna try this but it says it's not available for my device (brand new S7) :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skeezy posted:

Having a bit of an issue with photos I download not showing up in any Messenger app I use. It used to be that when I downloaded a photo off Chrome, Reddit Sync, or whatever, I could go to Messenger or FB Messenger and just send the photos. But now for whatever reason I can't open any of my downloaded stuff on those apps.

This wasn't the norm back when I had the Nexus 5 or the S6.

Permission issue?