Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bullshit. You need to constantly check in with your tables. Do they need refreshed drinks? More napkins? To-Go boxes?

We recently ate at the Burger Bar in Chicago and the service was loving amazing. The place was pack but our waitress visited our table a half dozen times. She stopped and refilled waters twice, made sure that our food was properly prepared. She crushed it so she got a 20% tip in cash that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I got told to tip double the tax when I went to America.

Also the fact that tax isn't included on lots of prices is one of the things you guys do stupidly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I just double the tax and round up.

unless they're a q-tee

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 11, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I got told to tip double the tax when I went to America.

Also the fact that tax isn't included on lots of prices is one of the things you guys do stupidly.

Tax varies by state, prices on most things don't. Businesses are lazy and cheap, it's easier to put the same price on everything instead of altering it by state,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Seriously though, Americans don't tip 18-20 as a standard.

Well, obviously the loving assholes don't.

Rhyno posted:

I tip 15% if the service is great. Having spent 10 years in the service industry, far too many servers think they deserve a tip for showing up at the table to take and order and to bring it to the table.

Hey, congrats on being a loving rear end in a top hat. Retail and waiting are very different things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Canada is the worst because our waiters make living wages but we still have American tipping culture. :( My walleeeeett!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

I just double the tax and round up.

unless they're a q-tee

That works were I am because sales tax is 9% but it can vary from 0-10 based on the state. 20% before tax is a good rule of thumb if you're traveling to different states

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Canada is the worst because our waiters make living wages but we still have American tipping culture. :( My walleeeeett!

Learn to loving cook?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Not in Quebec!

Here tip based jobs make 15% less.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Well, obviously the loving assholes don't.

Hey, congrats on being a loving rear end in a top hat. Retail and waiting are very different things.

The service industry isn't retail pal. I worked in bars and restaurants for 10 years. I know how serving and tipping works and what a server needs to do to deserve a tip. It's a bullshit myth that they earn a tip just for showing up. I don't get my paycheck just for showing up at my job, I have a shitload of work I need to do to earn it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out, go get McDonalds or cook your own food. I make hardly more than minimum wage and I tip 20% unless the wait staff straight up ignore me, then they just get 15.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out, go get McDonalds or cook your own food. I make hardly more than minimum wage and I tip 20% unless the wait staff straight up ignore me, then they just get 15.

If the service is average they get 10%. If the service is flat out horrible they're lucky to get a buck. I've had waitresses at Chinese Buffets give incredible service and all they do is bring you drinks and I happily leave them a few bucks because of the effort. That's what it comes down to, if you can't do the job well you shouldn't be loving serving. Go get a job at McDonalds where subpar work is acceptable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The service industry isn't retail pal. I worked in bars and restaurants for 10 years. I know how serving and tipping works and what a server needs to do to deserve a tip. It's a bullshit myth that they earn a tip just for showing up. I don't get my paycheck just for showing up at my job, I have a shitload of work I need to do to earn it.

Showing up and doing your job deserves 15% minimum. I'd probably still give at least 15% to someone I saw spit in my food. What did you actually do when you worked in restaurants and bars for 10 years?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Showing up and doing your job deserves 15% minimum. I'd probably still give at least 15% to someone I saw spit in my food. What did you actually do when you worked in restaurants and bars for 10 years?

I waited tables, I bartended, I barbacked, I worked security, I managed, I worked in the kitchen. I have worked every payable position offered. And to earn that 15% you need to show up and do your loving job. That means I don't wait for my order to be taken for 30 minutes because the waitress is too busy talking to her friends or taking a smoke break.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Not in Quebec!

Here tip based jobs make 15% less.

Gross.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Learn to loving cook?

"These prices are certainly high"

"LEARN TO COOK YOU PIECE OF poo poo" *flips table*

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I usually tip at least 20% because I remember how much working in food services sucked in college. Taking home a lot in tips at the end of the day feels good and I can spare the money if I'm eating out, why not make somebody's night a little better? I sort of get where Rhyno's coming from if a server is, like meeeeeega rude but mistakes happen, orders gets backed up, I don't know.

Edit: Germane- http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Spider-Man-Times-Square-Arrested-Grabbing-Boy-Aggressive-Panhandling-370733061.html

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 11, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Archyduke posted:

I usually tip at least 20% because I remember how much working in food services sucked in college. Taking home a lot in tips at the end of the day feels good and I can spare the money if I'm eating out, why not make somebody's night a little better? I sort of get where Rhyno's coming from if a server is, like meeeeeega rude but mistakes happen, orders gets backed up, I don't know.

If my food takes longer than it should to make it to the table I rarely give a poo poo so long as it's at the proper consumable temperature. That doesn't effect how I tip at all. But yeah, act like a bitch, be excessively rude. Those are good ways to get a smaller tip. I once worked with a girl who was a huge racist and came up with code words so she could vent without saying the N-word. Usually "Canadians" was what she subbed in.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Skwirl posted:

I'd probably still give at least 15% to someone I saw spit in my food.

Rewarding someone for doing something really lovely sounds like a great way to promote working hard, and hell, trying to be a good person overall. I wonder if spitting in my bosses face tomorrow will earn me that promotion and raise.... you know, as opposed to getting fired.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skeematic posted:

Rewarding someone for doing something really lovely sounds like a great way to promote working hard, and hell, trying to be a good person overall. I wonder if spitting in my bosses face tomorrow will earn me that promotion and raise.... you know, as opposed to getting fired.

If I saw spit in my food I'd probably walk out right then and there. Hopefully after having eaten an appetizer and consumed a few drinks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skeematic posted:

You aren't promoting anything you smug rear end in a top hat.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you know i've always seen the tipping argument joked about but have never seen it unironically happen on SA, so thanks BSS

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

furthermore if you will see the movie reservoir dogs you will understand

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

on a comic book topic though, have there been any real stand-out hulk runs in the past decade or so that haven't been written by greg pak? kinda been showing a bit more interest in the big green guy lately

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FutureFriend posted:

on a comic book topic though, have there been any real stand-out hulk runs in the past decade or so that haven't been written by greg pak? kinda been showing a bit more interest in the big green guy lately

Not even by Jason Aaron. Pak must've cast a curse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Luckily there's quite a few older runs that are worth checking out.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Luckily there's quite a few older runs that are worth checking out.

i'm usually not a big fan of the writing style of older comics, but i could give it a shot. what are some good runs?

vvv nice, i'll go check them out when i got some spare cash in. thanks mate!

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 11, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FutureFriend posted:

i'm usually not a big fan of the writing style of older comics, but i could give it a shot. what are some good runs?

Peter David's run is probably a good place to start, and it's not even that old! It's collected in the Hulk Visionaries: Peter David volumes. You could follow that up with the Paul Jenkins run, if you want. Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was partly based on that run.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Shiiiiiiit I missed the tipping argument. I feel strongly about tipping, friends.

I try to tip as well as I can without it becoming ostentatious, even if service is mediocre. Servers aren't paid a living wage, and I can't get past the feeling that I'm denying someone the basic means to support themselves if I don't tip as generously as I can afford. No service is so bad as to be worth refusing someone basic financial subsistence.

When I travel abroad, I keep tipping American-style, because I figure that it's only fair to offer the servers in whatever country the best experience of American culture possible.

OK, that's out of my system. Speaking of Hulk, are there any interesting Hulk/Spider-Man stories? Team-ups, kerfuffles, anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I waited tables, I bartended, I barbacked, I worked security, I managed, I worked in the kitchen. I have worked every payable position offered. And to earn that 15% you need to show up and do your loving job. That means I don't wait for my order to be taken for 30 minutes because the waitress is too busy talking to her friends or taking a smoke break.

Okay, I get it. You're a loving rear end in a top hat

Lurdiak posted:

"These prices are certainly high"

"LEARN TO COOK YOU PIECE OF poo poo" *flips table*

If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to eat out.. Is Canadian math so bad that you can't factor in a decent tip when you're planning how much a night out will cost you?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My favourite run is Gray Hulk.

Incredible Hulk #324 is the 'onboarding' issue, as it wraps up pretty much all the pertinent events prior to, gives some good background, and has basically all the important elements of a Hulk story: Banner trying to kill himself to save the world from the Hulk, Hulk complaining Banner's a wimp, Thunderbolt trying to kill the Hulk at any cost, and a "FAP" sound effect.

There's unfortunately then another 7 issues establishing a new status quo before Peter David comes in at #331 and starts dissecting the Hulk proper while simultaneously moving away from the clusterfuck SHIELD/Hulkbusters nonsense Banner had gotten mired in - canonising the physiology of the changes, the emotional trauma aspect of it, and using the more intelligent Gray Hulk explore the Hulk himself as a monster by interacting with other horror-style monsters like a bizzarro Freddy Kruger, and just generally being a dick to Banner in a reversal of the old shut-hulk-in-a-cave routine. Gray Hulk runs until #377, where all three personalities get merged and the Doc Banner intelligent green hulk starts.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nobody wants to read another page of a stupid lovely tipping argument.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to eat out.. Is Canadian math so bad that you can't factor in a decent tip when you're planning how much a night out will cost you?

I just intimated that high prices deriving from high wages plus tips can mean a night out is expensive, I don't know why you're treating that as an invitation to assume that I go to restaurants and stare at the bill in confusion and leave without tipping.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You aren't promoting anything you smug rear end in a top hat.

If someone does a lovely job as a server, there is no other way to tell them that (in which they would take it seriously) other than reflecting in their tip. It's kind of like "voting with your wallet" with comics.

Skeematic fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 11, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I am so disappointed in every single one of you right now

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Good job at being a literal meme today guys. Having a internet fight about tipping. :lol:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghostlight posted:

Nobody wants to read another page of a stupid lovely tipping argument.

Yeah, we should just cut the tip. Circumcise this discussion, if you will.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Next on the docket: If red kryptonite made Superman incapable of eating sandwiches, could he still eat hotdogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The real question is if he puts ketchup on his hot-dogs.

• Locked thread