Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

spankmeister posted:

Calling Linus anything close to "professional" is an insult to actual IT professionals around the world.

This guy with his rube goldberg raid setup deserved to lose all that data imo. He got lucky.

And I ended up reading the comments in hopes some one would tell him off. Nope, it gets even worse and people I wouldn't let near a server...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

Calling Linus anything close to "professional" is an insult to actual IT professionals around the world.

This guy with his rube goldberg raid setup deserved to lose all that data imo. He got lucky.
The bad news is that they paid a disaster recovery company a lot of dollars to get some of their data back.

Delivery McGee posted:

I feel like there's a lot you don't know about ... um ... gently caress it, I'm not even going to try to explain who RT are. They're a bit more than multiple popular youtube channels.
Thank you for the wikipedia article, they are still a popular youtube channel and there is still nothing accurate about them being "a professional computer animation house".

mewse
May 2, 2006

I didn't call Linus an IT professional for the record.

Watching that video a few months ago gave me flashbacks to my time at a visual effects shop when the licensing server poo poo the bed and my boss spent 24 hours rebuilding it from scratch. Redundancy is for corporate suits

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If this wasn't Canadian I'd suspect it was Larches' station

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The graphics are working in that though

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

mewse posted:

I didn't call Linus an IT professional for the record.

Watching that video a few months ago gave me flashbacks to my time at a visual effects shop when the licensing server poo poo the bed and my boss spent 24 hours rebuilding it from scratch. Redundancy is for corporate suits

Wait, this video man's configuration confused me. There are 3 Raid 5 arrays, striped together, held with duct tape and a prayer? No mirror? Sounds like a plan?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PassTheRemote posted:

Wait, this video man's configuration confused me. There are 3 Raid 5 arrays, striped together, held with duct tape and a prayer? No mirror? Sounds like a plan?

Iirc a few months back they bragged about going from what was by all rights a stable setup with multiple redundancies to one with like one or two potential points of critical failure.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iirc a few months back they bragged about going from what was by all rights a stable setup with multiple redundancies to one with like one or two potential points of critical failure.

Can someone please link this, I need some schadenfreude please.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PassTheRemote posted:

25 SSDs total, configured as 8 disks connected to three controllers as RAID 5 each, and then a software RAID 0 in Windows. The 25th drive was a cold swap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

anthonypants posted:

25 SSDs total, configured as 8 disks connected to three controllers as RAID 5 each, and then a software RAID 0 in Windows. The 25th drive was a cold swap.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm guessing the computer running the software RAID0 up and died, taking everything with it?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

anthonypants posted:

Ah, so no backup at all. I once worked at a place where a critical database went down, but luckily there was a tape backup, so 6 hours of tape recovery...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I very deeply believe that LMM is a company that is in a shitton of debt and that someday it will all crash and burn and maybe everyone will realize that this weird retail guy actually knows about as much about tech as a retail guy.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm guessing the computer running the software RAID0 up and died, taking everything with it?
One of the controllers died, and their server crapped out because of it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
When I watched that video and they talked about their setup I couldn't help but say "Yeah, you deserved this, 100%".

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

:psyduck:

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Let me get this straight...a company whose livelihood is creating and distributing digital goods does not backup their digital goods.

WHEN IS THE IPO!?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

I wonder if he actually knew what he was doing when he did that.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

On one hand, you'd have to know enough about RAID and disk management to setup something so insane, but I would have thought at some point in the process he would have come across a best practice guide.
I would think that if storing content is one of the most important things for my company, maybe go talk to someone and do it right.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

CitizenKain posted:

On one hand, you'd have to know enough about RAID and disk management to setup something so insane, but I would have thought at some point in the process he would have come across a best practice guide.
I would think that if storing content is one of the most important things for my company, maybe go talk to someone and do it right.

Nah man, hire someone who built an oil cooled PC as your COO because THAT'S SO SICK MAN!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Methanar posted:

When he set it up he was really confused by poor write speeds until he turned on write-back caching, so, no.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Linus is a guy who will take a $200 Netgear unmanaged switch that he got given as part of a sponsorship deal and in the process of video reviewing it will see SFP cages and assume it does 10Gbit, tell the viewers it does and then have to add a bit at the end where he backtracks. Like even reading the box or having a handle on the basic cost of certain features is beyond him.

Also the voice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

Linus is a guy who will take a $200 Netgear unmanaged switch that he got given as part of a sponsorship deal and in the process of video reviewing it will see SFP cages and assume it does 10Gbit, tell the viewers it does and then have to add a bit at the end where he backtracks. Like even reading the box or having a handle on the basic cost of certain features is beyond him.

Also the voice.

"All the ports are 10Gbit, it says so on the box!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PassTheRemote posted:

When you look like that you don't want any mirrors around.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in: "When I press r on my bluetooth keyboard, it types a t. And the other way around, too. Typing directly on the laptop keyboard, everything works normal".

Well, that's strange, haven't seen that one before ... I wonder what's going on?

Collegue pranked user by switching the r and t keys on the keyboard. It was pretty funny, imo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lodewijk posted:

A ticket came in: "When I press r on my bluetooth keyboard, it types a t. And the other way around, too. Typing directly on the laptop keyboard, everything works normal".

Well, that's strange, haven't seen that one before ... I wonder what's going on?

Collegue pranked user by switching the r and t keys on the keyboard. It was pretty funny, imo.

I once tried out some BSD-on-a-diskette distribution that switched up two letters. I think it was something like p and f. It was very nice otherwise :shrug:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

lodewijk posted:

I was asked by colleagues to rig our (fairly incompetent) Tier 1 tech's PC to shut down after 2 minutes logged on.
All bets are on "he never figures it out" and reinstalls his PC.
(Reason I did it is because he doesn't know how to remote into client PCs and refuses to learn, as well as me leaving the company soon)

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
I normally wouldn't link Ars but here's a summary of a crypto attack where the entry point isn't a dumb user but instead a dumb server application:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/04/ok-panic-newly-evolved-ransomware-is-bad-news-for-everyone/

Can't wait!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

SEKCobra posted:

I was asked by colleagues to rig our (fairly incompetent) Tier 1 tech's PC to shut down after 2 minutes logged on.
All bets are on "he never figures it out" and reinstalls his PC.
(Reason I did it is because he doesn't know how to remote into client PCs and refuses to learn, as well as me leaving the company soon)

Are you going to yell at him for the tickets he doesn't solve while working on fixing his PC?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

evobatman posted:

Are you going to yell at him for the tickets he doesn't solve while working on fixing his PC?

Hahaha, good one, ticket systems xD
No but seriously, he doesn't use his work computer for any work, he just takes the calls and says he'll come by. He refuses to ascend from that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

anthonypants posted:

I don't see what the problem is, RAID 5 is a perfectly acceptable form of backup.

I call this statement "suicide by sysadmin"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

lodewijk posted:

Reminds me of I can't log in when standing up

The story may be an urban legend by now, I know I've read it elsewhere but the reddit link was the first that popped up on a google search.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The letters were only in those two passwords, what about all the other people in the entire factory who are supposed to have stopped work to watch? And the entire premise is that they were familiar with their keyboards and didn't notice the swapped keys sooner? :happened:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah that part is probably embellishment. The original issue has probably happened some time though.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

A ticket came in, user cannot log in with her smart card. I set the user up with username password, but user attempts to log in with username and password on the smart card logon. I tell the user to click switch user, she does , and then she states that the system is shutting down.

Oh poo poo, has she messed up the password enough that it's going to disk encryption? No, she mistook the power button for the other user button.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

PassTheRemote posted:

No, she mistook the power button for the other user button.

So many times I've watched people set a new user password after expiration click the loving Switch User button instead of the next arrow.
(To be fair I suppose it is cruddy interface design)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Renegret posted:

I don't see what the problem is, RAID 5 is a perfectly acceptable form of backup.

I call this statement "suicide by sysadmin"

Only if the RAID is the backup target.

Last year I had a guy buy an external drive to backup his stuff to because he was never in the office and one more backup can't hurt - especially when he is the epitome of "fringe case" and spends most of his time in hotels with an internet speed of "negative 56kbps" in the farther-flung reaches of northern Canada. Backups to the backup servers are probably sporadic at best.

Well, he lost his laptop to uranium exposure (it was confiscated by the man as he puts it) so he brought in his external drive to get a new laptop and have his data thrown onto it.

The conversation started with "What are you doing with that cable?" when I fished a USB3 cable out of my junk drawer and ended with "Wait, why didn't it just....backup?? Isn't that what a backup does?"

:suicide:

I want IoT so bad. I know it'll be a giant tub of malware infecting light bulbs and toasters with fridges shooting sour milk at passersby - but at least I'll finally be able to actually have a backup that works via friction. :v:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Super Slash posted:

So many times I've watched people set a new user password after expiration click the loving Switch User button instead of the next arrow.
(To be fair I suppose it is cruddy interface design)

It's understandable the first time, but then they do it a second time and then again, and they won't stop and they're yelling the whole time and :unsmigghh:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Arsten posted:

lost his laptop to uranium exposure

But I mean, backups, am I right?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's understandable the first time, but then they do it a second time and then again, and they won't stop and they're yelling the whole time and :unsmigghh:

It got me the first time I used a mouse instead of pressing enter. It's in the spot you would expect the ok button to be. Just tell people to press enter, unless its Navision then you need to press enter twice for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

18 Character Limit posted:

But I mean, backups, am I right?

He commonly visits project sites with uranium mining going on. I assume that since he wasn't whisked to some hospital and put on medical rest that he did something like set his laptop on a wet surface near the mine site and the water carried radioactives that stuck to/in the laptop. It happens from time to time that some personal article detects over some radioactivity threshold. When it does, the site takes it and doesn't give it back. I'm fairly certain they just destroy whatever item they took, but I honestly haven't bothered to ask about getting stuff like that back. (Maybe they keep it to play Half Life 2 on a laptop that also has a Half Life! :v: )

I actually focused on the interesting part of the story. If he was smuggling uranium ore in his DVD drive, I probably would have focused on that part.

• Locked thread