Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
So apparently in the time that I took a break from the game I was given a free Viper Mk IV.

I was originally working on getting a Cobra Mk III since its a good multi-role ship, though I was leaning towards exploration and trade. Is the Viper Mk IV a good alternative?

Looking at the default stats tells me the Viper is a tad slower but more sturdy than the Cobra. I just wanted some personal opinions before I decided what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

In terms of overall utility, they're basically equal. Cobra is faster, Viper has better weapon layout, both have similar jump range and internals.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

timn posted:

The new multicannons are going to own so much, especially if they include gimbal variants. I'd be surprised if the C3 doesn't, C4 less so but still disappointed.

If c4 gimballed multis become a thing, my vette will be all dakka all the time.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Inverness posted:

So apparently in the time that I took a break from the game I was given a free Viper Mk IV.

I was originally working on getting a Cobra Mk III since its a good multi-role ship, though I was leaning towards exploration and trade. Is the Viper Mk IV a good alternative?

Looking at the default stats tells me the Viper is a tad slower but more sturdy than the Cobra. I just wanted some personal opinions before I decided what to do.

While I can't speak for exploring in it, or any amount of heavy duty trading, the Viper IV is a pretty amazing combat ship if nothing else. It's also fast as hell and pretty drat maneuverable. I've been really happy with mine.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Is there a compendium of lore or something? I've read a few of the books, they...weren't great.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Inverness posted:

We did that for you.

IIRC the Viper IV is slightly fightier than the Cobra III, but not as fighty as the Viper III. It is a fine multirole ship.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The advice that I could make NGC-7822 in my Cobra was really helpful. I had pick my way carefully when the stars got sparse, going below the nebula by about 100 ly and then making my wake back up, but getting to the nebula was worth it. poo poo, it made buying this game worth it. I first saw those line of bright blue stars from the North American nebula.

Approaching the Nebula:

And a ringed planet bathed in light from a type O star:

Also saw my first black hole, but there isn't much worth screen-shotting.

I loved astronomy as a kid, so exploring in this game is a lot of fun.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

MoraleHazard posted:

The advice that I could make NGC-7822 in my Cobra was really helpful. I had pick my way carefully when the stars got sparse, going below the nebula by about 100 ly and then making my wake back up, but getting to the nebula was worth it. poo poo, it made buying this game worth it. I first saw those line of bright blue stars from the North American nebula.

Approaching the Nebula:

And a ringed planet bathed in light from a type O star:

Also saw my first black hole, but there isn't much worth screen-shotting.

I loved astronomy as a kid, so exploring in this game is a lot of fun.
NGC 7822 is one of my favourite places I've been to so far because of the sheer size of the nebula cloud (most nebulae are only around a few systems instead of 20+) and since it has all the stars that look really awesome (plus some of the systems have 10+ stars as well as a black hole or two in close proximity).

I post this every time it's discussed but it's also the only cluster I've bothered to completely map out so if you're still there, here's a list of systems that have black holes in them:
code:
S171 2 - 1 black hole (11k Ls)
S171 3
S171 4
S171 5
S171 6
S171 7 - 1 black hole
S171 8 - 2 black holes (23Ls and 383Ls)
S171 9 - 3 black holes (80k Ls)
S171 10
S171 11 - 2 black holes (both 9k Ls, possible accretion disc at some point on one of the 9ks)
S171 12 - 1 black hole (217k Ls)
S171 13
S171 14
S171 15 - 2 black holes
S171 16 - 1 black hole (2.9k Ls)
S171 17 - the star is loving huge
S171 18
S171 19 - 1 black hole (312k Ls)
S171 20
S171 21 - 1 black hole (190k Ls)
S171 22
S171 23 - 1 black hole
S171 24 - 1 black hole (5k Ls)
S171 25
S171 26
S171 27
S171 28
S171 29
S171 30 - 1 black hole
S171 31
S171 32 - 1 black hole (4.5k Ls)
S171 33 - 1 black hole
S171 34
S171 35 - 1 black hole (60k Ls)
S171 36 - 2 black holes (50k Ls and 7k Ls, possible accretion disc at some point on the 7k if those are ever added)
S171 37
S171 39 - 1 black hole (50k Ls)
S171 40
S171 41
S171 42
S171 43 - 1 black hole (300k Ls)
S171 44
S171 45 - 1 black hole (17k Ls)
S171 46
S171 47 - 1 black hole (7k Ls)
S171 48 - 2 black holes (450k Ls)

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I plan to visit NGC-7822 as soon as I get my Rift.

Hopefully by the end of this month. :negative:

I just made a ton of money with my first few rare trading missions. The free Viper Mk IV helped a great deal. Now I plan to take a break from the game until I can play it fresh with a Rift. Also I expect 2.1 will be out by then.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Sold my asp explorer for a Cobra MKIII and upgraded it to the 9s for Robigo smuggling. Made 30 million in an evening which was pretty cool, but the 20+ jumps and half an hour to get to and from the bubble is super annoying. I'm wondering if it is worth it to keep going and save up 200 million to fully kit out an A rated Python. The grind is so real, and I don't have enough podcasts to listen to in order to make up that kind of time.

I'm hoping that when my Vive arrives that it will make things more interesting.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Hamelekim posted:

Sold my asp explorer for a Cobra MKIII and upgraded it to the 9s for Robigo smuggling. Made 30 million in an evening which was pretty cool, but the 20+ jumps and half an hour to get to and from the bubble is super annoying. I'm wondering if it is worth it to keep going and save up 200 million to fully kit out an A rated Python. The grind is so real, and I don't have enough podcasts to listen to in order to make up that kind of time.

I'm hoping that when my Vive arrives that it will make things more interesting.

Why didn't you just kit out an Asp Explorer for the run for the jump range?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

WirelessPillow posted:

Why didn't you just kit out an Asp Explorer for the run for the jump range?

Speed to outrun the police scans. Not sure I can outrun them in an asp. I was scanned a lot during my runs. I am considering trying an asp to up my profit, but I want to find out the best strategy first.

Dirtybilly
Jul 27, 2013

Is combat logging still an issue in this game. I remember that being a major turn off for me.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
If the cops interdict me while I'm smuggling, you can bet I'm combat logging.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's no penalty for it. If I'm on my way somewhere and I've been interdicted by an NPC that is much higher combat rank and I can't quickly jump to another system, I'm going to mash the x button and reload back in.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Hamelekim posted:

Speed to outrun the police scans. Not sure I can outrun them in an asp. I was scanned a lot during my runs. I am considering trying an asp to up my profit, but I want to find out the best strategy first.

all you had to do was fit a small gimbaled pulse to your Asp, and just shoot at whoever interdicts you as you blast past them. Shooting people makes them stop scanning you.

Dirtybilly
Jul 27, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

If the cops interdict me while I'm smuggling, you can bet I'm combat logging.

Man that is so disappointing. Why can there not be non-consensual pvp. Am I asking for too much? Are my aspirations for the game to high for them to figure out a way to crush combat logging?

drat them!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I did my first Robigo run tonight and it was awesome. I made eleven million credits for a few hours' work, which is chump change to you guys but a huge step up over what I was making before.

At one point I was fuel scooping and an NPC came to interdict me, so I turned to jump away, and then the goof tried to fly in behind me and I think he ended up getting too close to the star because he disappeared from supercruise :hellyeah:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dirtybilly posted:

Man that is so disappointing. Why can there not be non-consensual pvp. Am I asking for too much? Are my aspirations for the game to high for them to figure out a way to crush combat logging?

drat them!

Peer to peer kind of makes any sort of penalty for combat logging moot. This game isn't one to do acute salt harvesting like that anyway, it rewards the slow plodding giant pay off kind.

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.

Dirtybilly posted:

Is combat logging still an issue in this game. I remember that being a major turn off for me.

The bigger issue is it's nearly impossible to kill someone who kinda sorta knows how to get away. It's still possible to combat log though, yes.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can't wait for C4 multicannons.

Sammich fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 11, 2016

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

nippythefish posted:

all you had to do was fit a small gimbaled pulse to your Asp, and just shoot at whoever interdicts you as you blast past them. Shooting people makes them stop scanning you.

Seems risky with the cops scanning you so quickly. I might try it inside the bubble before risking big money with robigo.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

Seems risky with the cops scanning you so quickly. I might try it inside the bubble before risking big money with robigo.

It takes 10 seconds for them to scan you.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
:supaburn:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72tamMH57Is:supaburn:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Didn't even take any hull damage. Compleeeetely safe. :D

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

This is the spaceship equivalent of running your hand through a candle... you're fine as long as you don't go too slow!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
EDIT: never mind

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Is that the Courier? That is a sexy cockpit.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I had that happen once to me while on my way to Sag A*, though the stars were a bit further apart so I managed to get out before taking module damage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Never gets old

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I mean, it was kind enough to dump you outside the star. So it's aaaaall fine.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I really want hotkeys to deactivate systems or groups of systems solely for occasions like this. :stare:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TRON JEREMY posted:

C3/C4 multicannons, C4 pulse/beam/burst lasers are coming in 2.1
Hmmm C3 multicannons on Pythons with medium lasers, it will be delicious.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

You're a long way from Kerbin, Jeb.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

FiestaNinja posted:

He certainly gets around. I saw him at the nav beacon in Morrina yesterday afternoon. I guess the kerbals are celebrating having a working space program?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Mercurius posted:

NGC 7822 is one of my favourite places I've been to so far because of the sheer size of the nebula cloud (most nebulae are only around a few systems instead of 20+) and since it has all the stars that look really awesome (plus some of the systems have 10+ stars as well as a black hole or two in close proximity).

I post this every time it's discussed but it's also the only cluster I've bothered to completely map out so if you're still there, here's a list of systems that have black holes in them:
code:
S171 2 - 1 black hole (11k Ls)
S171 3
S171 4
S171 5
S171 6
S171 7 - 1 black hole
S171 8 - 2 black holes (23Ls and 383Ls)
S171 9 - 3 black holes (80k Ls)
S171 10
S171 11 - 2 black holes (both 9k Ls, possible accretion disc at some point on one of the 9ks)
S171 12 - 1 black hole (217k Ls)
S171 13
S171 14
S171 15 - 2 black holes
S171 16 - 1 black hole (2.9k Ls)
S171 17 - the star is loving huge
S171 18
S171 19 - 1 black hole (312k Ls)
S171 20
S171 21 - 1 black hole (190k Ls)
S171 22
S171 23 - 1 black hole
S171 24 - 1 black hole (5k Ls)
S171 25
S171 26
S171 27
S171 28
S171 29
S171 30 - 1 black hole
S171 31
S171 32 - 1 black hole (4.5k Ls)
S171 33 - 1 black hole
S171 34
S171 35 - 1 black hole (60k Ls)
S171 36 - 2 black holes (50k Ls and 7k Ls, possible accretion disc at some point on the 7k if those are ever added)
S171 37
S171 39 - 1 black hole (50k Ls)
S171 40
S171 41
S171 42
S171 43 - 1 black hole (300k Ls)
S171 44
S171 45 - 1 black hole (17k Ls)
S171 46
S171 47 - 1 black hole (7k Ls)
S171 48 - 2 black holes (450k Ls)

Bookmarked, thank you. I'll hit it on my way back from Beagle Point

That comic is a gift

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 11, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

FiestaNinja posted:

Whenever Jeb is wanted in a system, I leave him alone. He's just exploring space like the rest of us. He's just scanning me for science.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

Whenever Jeb is wanted in a system, I leave him alone. He's just exploring space like the rest of us. He's just scanning me for science.

I just blow him up. I know from personal experience that he has had that happen often enough without ill effects for it not to be much of a worry any more. I'm beginning to suspect he secretly enjoys it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Mercurius posted:

List

Thanks for the list, I'm planning on surveying pretty much everything in this nebula.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

Thanks for the list, I'm planning on surveying pretty much everything in this nebula.

…and with the previous video in mind, maybe you should ask him to include a list of pucker-factor warp ins to look out for :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Is the robigo slave dumping still a viable way to make money or have they finally removed that exploit. Otherwise I may just go back to smuggling for a fdl. My FAS is a great ship but god the heat management even with a class a power plant is horid and scooping fuel is a pain

• Locked thread