Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't wait to see how my Romanians play!

...just as soon as I paint another three hundred of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Phi230 posted:

I love cold war stuff so is team yankee for me?

Also are there any naval minis games?

There's Sails of Glory, which is X-Wing style with pre-painted models and all.

But that's just dipping a toe in the groggy depths of tabletop naval war. There are tons of rulesets out there, and many manufacturers making very tiny ships. GHQ has their 1/2000 Age of Sail and 1/2400 WW1/WW2/Modern Micronauts line, for instance.

If stuff like this

gets you hot, you should consider one of the rulesets + computer combat systems from NWS.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Phi230 posted:

Team Yankee's definitely fun. Right now the selection of units is pretty limited, but they're coming out with West Germans and Brits later this year if you're into that kind of thing.

Just don't get too attached to your tanks though, 'cause everything dies really easily. But that's the Cold War for you!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The afghansty paras list is out too; I don't know how you're meant to play it though since you can get 12 hinds on the table. Six is already a stretch :psyduck:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Phi230 posted:

I love Sails of Glory, and there's also Trafalgar (both with write-ups in the OP, and I have some battle reports of SoG in the thread).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Polikarpov posted:

But that's just dipping a toe in the groggy depths of tabletop naval war. There are tons of rulesets out there, and many manufacturers making very tiny ships. GHQ has their 1/2000 Age of Sail and 1/2400 WW1/WW2/Modern Micronauts line, for instance.

If stuff like this

gets you hot, you should consider one of the rulesets + computer combat systems from NWS.

The idea of modern naval tabletop wargaming gives me a grog boner but do I gotta use PC programs to play tabletop? Also any cold war air combat tt games? The groggier the better

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Phi230 posted:

The idea of modern naval tabletop wargaming gives me a grog boner but do I gotta use PC programs to play tabletop? Also any cold war air combat tt games? The groggier the better

The program is just there to automate ballistics and damage modelling in order to maximize grog/hr

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

spectralent posted:

The afghansty paras list is out too; I don't know how you're meant to play it though since you can get 12 hinds on the table. Six is already a stretch :psyduck:

Aside from the models needed the list lacks access to SA-14 Gophers to even keep the A-10s honest. I can only imagine the slaughter the Warthogs would inflict on that list.

But to Phi230's question, yes, Team Yankee is a very playable 'Cold War Gone Hot' system with cool, though somewhat expensive, models. It seems to be doing well for Battlefront so I expect they'll put more effort into it in the future, unlike their Vietnam game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Polikarpov posted:

If stuff like this

If you are going to do to that, you may as well buy Rule the Waves - its a computer game, but it allows you to design and fight your own Dreadnought era Navy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Conan the Librarian posted:

Aside from the models needed the list lacks access to SA-14 Gophers to even keep the A-10s honest. I can only imagine the slaughter the Warthogs would inflict on that list.

But to Phi230's question, yes, Team Yankee is a very playable 'Cold War Gone Hot' system with cool, though somewhat expensive, models. It seems to be doing well for Battlefront so I expect they'll put more effort into it in the future, unlike their Vietnam game.

Or go 6mm. The only problem are the turret rules.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just don't get too attached to your tanks though, 'cause everything dies really easily. But that's the Cold War for you!

:ussr:

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

moths posted:

The Russian-produced film Stalingrad (2013) featured some pretty historically questionable depictions of events, but for some reason game designers always instead err on the side of the German propaganda.

What the ever loving gently caress? This movie is some North Korea level bullshit.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Got to play Sword and Spear yesterday. Great little game that's perfect for mass battles. Likes faster play Warmaster with a more elegant command system. We played Early Crusaders vs Saracens using Pendraken 10mm

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Commissar Kip posted:

What the ever loving gently caress? This movie is some North Korea level bullshit.

It's not really that terrible, and that scene is semi-fantasy even within the film itself. The worst part of Stalingrad is that, just like Enemy at the Gates and almost every other loving war movie in recent memory, they've added a love story.

E: Well, and the part where the Nazis sacrifice a woman and a child to their old, pagan gods.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I kinda feel like this is the film to watch when delirious with food poisoning. The 1993 Stalingrad film is good tho.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Colonial Air Force posted:

E: Well, and the part where the Nazis sacrifice a woman and a child to their old, pagan gods.

This sounds like the best movie ever

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The whole movie is framed around the device of a modern Russian first responder rescuing some German kids from a collapsed Japanese building.

The kids are afraid their parents might be dead, and the old medic is like "So what? I had five fathers and they're all dead, you don't see me scared!" and then tells the trapped German kids about the brave men who got his mom through Stalingrad (by killing the kids' ancestors, but that doesn't seem to come up.)

So there's a bit of Big Fish "recounting a legend" baked into the plot, but it's still up there with Hero in terms of modern propaganda.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Polikarpov posted:

If stuff like this

This is crazy. But the website sucks (as most wargaming sites do) - are there any modern rulesets they do with the PC crossover?

On that note, is the Harpoon game any good? Does it hold up to modern game designs at all? I think the designer of it did a book with Clancy, but that doesn't mean it's great...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

krushgroove posted:

This is crazy. But the website sucks (as most wargaming sites do) - are there any modern rulesets they do with the PC crossover?

On that note, is the Harpoon game any good? Does it hold up to modern game designs at all? I think the designer of it did a book with Clancy, but that doesn't mean it's great...

You have a foobar class, which you'll want to look up in the first appendix. It has the spam radar, which is in the sensor appendix, the eggs missile, which is in the missile appendix, the Z engine which is in the engine appendix...

... guns appendix...

... sails appendix if applicable...

...and the X toilet seat which is in the toilet seat appendix but apart from that it's a really simple game!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hmm that's disappointing.

I just read on one of the Facebook groups that Osprey is apparently coming out with 6mm modern rules...anyone know about this?

e: ah it's 6mm sci-fi and coming out at Salute this weekend, it's called Horizon Wars https://meeples.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/horizon-wars-coming-soon-from-osprey-publishing/

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 10, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm fascinated by 15mm sci-fi. All those systemless manufacturers living from old grogs playing settingless rulesets.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well one of my earliest sci-fi gaming experiences was Ogre, which isn't really wargaming (although with GEV it was) - that's just a gigantic nuclear missile-tossing AI tank dodging puddles of nuclear lava. Who needs a setting if you're the commander of the humans trying to stop that?

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

krushgroove posted:

Hmm that's disappointing.

I just read on one of the Facebook groups that Osprey is apparently coming out with 6mm modern rules...anyone know about this?

e: ah it's 6mm sci-fi and coming out at Salute this weekend, it's called Horizon Wars https://meeples.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/horizon-wars-coming-soon-from-osprey-publishing/

Is there more info out yet? Or do we just know that there's a book?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

6mm sci fi is highly relevant to my interests, but yeah, all I've heard is "It's a thing that exists".

quote:

Seeing as someone asked and Mike confirmed I’m allowed to, I thought I’d start a thread to tell TWW a little about HorizonWars.

Back in 2010, I self-published a short game called MechaWar – a response to my frustration with the existing set of 3mm-10mm mech-based games that I felt were too complex, too fiddly and too dedicated to specific miniatures lines to be the sort of mech-based game I was looking for.

To describe MechaWar as a “success” would be a slight exaggeration, but it certainly enjoyed limited acclaim and so I added AirFrame – an air combat game that stood alone but was also broadly compatible with MechaWar – and began developing BattleGroup, the third volume in what I called the “HorizonWars Trilogy”, to add the rest of the combined arms force.

I happened to touch base with Phil Smith at Osprey Publishing at a fortuitous time, because he was on the look out for something very like HorizonWars and, after a certain amount of back-and-forth, Phil offered me a publishing contract. I understand that his bionic hand is settling in fine and there’s no hard feelings. The original was delicious.

So, what is HorizonWars?

It’s a hard(ish) SF wargame designed with 3mm to 10mm miniatures in mind (I consider 6mm to be the sweet spot, but that’s probably because Space Marine was my first miniatures wargame and I’ve always had a 6mm “thing”). So you can play it with Dystopian Wars minis (not the ships – there aren’t rules for naval combat [yet]), Dropzone Commander minis, Battletech minis, Heavy Gear minis, Epic GW/FW minis or pretty much any other range of small-scale SF, VSF, modern or near future miniatures.

The rules do include “canonical” setting text, but this is specifically designed to give players inspiration for narrative battles and campaigns without limiting their choice of miniatures.

So what’s the game like?

It’s designed for platoon to company+ battles which should typically take between 30 and 120 minutes, depending on the size. The game includes a set of pre-written scenarios, plus a random scenario generator. The system is integrated turns with a reaction mechanic. All mechs and airframes are full customisable – and the process of designing a mech takes less than a minute if you skip the advanced upgrades (which you can and still have a totally viable mech) – and whilst the conventional forces are more fixed, there is some flexibility for commanders to invest in improved resources for the boots on the ground, too.

The game uses d12s and you’ll typically need between five and seven dice each to play. You’ll also need two counters per base (I use pennies).

I’ll post up an illustrated battle report in due course. In the mean time, feel free to bombard me with questions. You’re also welcome to offer criticism but the manuscript has been finalized except for proof-reading, so don’t expect any changes.

Regards,

Robey

Interesting; I kind of hope there's good support for tanks and infantry too. If I can stat the NSD's MBTs in glorious detail I will be a very happy bun.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 10, 2016

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
What would you guys recommend when it comes to transport for 15mm Historicals (mostly Flames of War)? I want to protect them properly, given that I've started painting them!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

tomdidiot posted:

What would you guys recommend when it comes to transport for 15mm Historicals (mostly Flames of War)? I want to protect them properly, given that I've started painting them!

I got a sheet magnet with a sticky back and put it on all my FoW bases, then use a cookie sheet to transport them.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

I got a sheet magnet with a sticky back and put it on all my FoW bases, then use a cookie sheet to transport them.

I should also probably add that I mostly use public transport to move my minis around, and I'm afraid that doing that might be a little risky. Is it OK? Also, how does it work with tanks? Do you just base tanks?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Horizon Wars looks awesome. I'd love to get my space robot on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Polikarpov posted:

maximize grog/hr
New thread title spotted.

JcDent posted:

Or go 6mm. The only problem are the turret rules.
Go buy yourself a box of shirt pins. Put the turrets in place. Put some plastic-card over the bottom of the tank if there's a lot of space around the turret peg. Drill through the plastic-card into the peg. Cut down a shirt pin so you have the flat end. Insert into peg. Done. I've done it for all my BT tanks at that scale.

krushgroove posted:

Well one of my earliest sci-fi gaming experiences was Ogre, which isn't really wargaming (although with GEV it was) - that's just a gigantic nuclear missile-tossing AI tank dodging puddles of nuclear lava. Who needs a setting if you're the commander of the humans trying to stop that?
You can buy the current version of Ogre packaged like the original for the same price as the original now. It's totally worth dropping three bux on if you see it around.

Yeah, the 3D cardboard makes the big version slight excessive. Not much more than most wargames really, but for a board game that one person has to cart around... yeah.
VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 11, 2016

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I wish they put out a edition of Ogre/GEV that was like, normal board game sized. I'm kind of annoyed that my two options are playing it with something that looks like i printed it out at work (opps I breathed in the direction of the table, sorry want to reset?) or the LOL XBOX HUGE deluxe edition.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

tomdidiot posted:

I should also probably add that I mostly use public transport to move my minis around, and I'm afraid that doing that might be a little risky. Is it OK? Also, how does it work with tanks? Do you just base tanks?

Well I used my own car, so I didn't mind if the tanks slid around a little. They didn't, much, though, the magnetized infantry and artillery held them in place.

You could base the tanks, though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

You can buy the current version of Ogre packaged like the original for the same price as the original now. It's totally worth dropping three bux on if you see it around

Bought that, played once, fiddly as all hell

Endman
May 18, 2010

I was struck by inspiration while browsing the Perrys' metal Napoleonics today.

Everybody always references the Peninsula when talking about Sharp Practice, because Sharpe is mostly set there of course. But what could make a better skirmish campaign than fighting over artefacts and buried treasure in 1801 Egypt?

I think I've pinned down my next project.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I dunno how related it is but the Saga dude is coming out with a Congo game. It looks super uncomfortable to me, what with you basically subjugating people and stealing cultural treasures

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Endman posted:

I was struck by inspiration while browsing the Perrys' metal Napoleonics today.

Everybody always references the Peninsula when talking about Sharp Practice, because Sharpe is mostly set there of course. But what could make a better skirmish campaign than fighting over artefacts and buried treasure in 1801 Egypt?

I think I've pinned down my next project.

Nice.

We're going for the invasion of Russia, which also saw tons and tons of skirmishes as the Russian armies harried the French army all the way to Moscow and back.

Endman
May 18, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Nice.

We're going for the invasion of Russia, which also saw tons and tons of skirmishes as the Russian armies harried the French army all the way to Moscow and back.

Sounds pretty awesome; I love seeing French infantry in greatcoats.

Endman
May 18, 2010

muggins posted:

I dunno how related it is but the Saga dude is coming out with a Congo game. It looks super uncomfortable to me, what with you basically subjugating people and stealing cultural treasures

Oh god :psyduck:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Could be worse, they could be covering the genocide in the Congo carried out by the Belgians.

Yeah, there is a reason the scramble for Africa is underserved in wargame terms, because in history it was racist colonialism and genocide, and it's people don't want to hear about how their side were the baddies.

Take the Battle of Little Big Horn. How many people know that Custer's big plan was to avoid fighting the actual warriors and go after the women and children in order to murder them all? Get's glossed over, doesn't it?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's a brief write-up in this month's WI, although I skipped it because I'm not terribly interested in the game. It looks like the natives get to field animals, like great apes, too.

Also, enjoy the new thread title!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Endman posted:

Sounds pretty awesome; I love seeing French infantry in greatcoats.

We're starting out with prim and proper summer uniforms, and see if I get around to making more and more tattered soldiers as we go. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

There's a brief write-up in this month's WI, although I skipped it because I'm not terribly interested in the game. It looks like the natives get to field animals, like great apes, too.

Also, enjoy the new thread title!

Yeah that's definitely where I saw it. I don't know like how bad it is that I enjoy World War II gaming the East Front where they corduroy roads with bodies and poo poo but a colonialism game set in DARKEST AFRICA makes me wince