Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zenithe posted:

Oh, I'm sure it's a total clusterfuck, but is sacking a council just a thing you can do?

Local government only exists at the convenience of the state government doesn't it? Pretty sure they can do whatever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Local governments are not mentioned in state/territory or federal Constitutions. They are created by state/territory legislation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://twitter.com/sarahelks/status/719391026469732352

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Mr Palmer was also involved in the approval or rejection of small purchases, including:

$3,546 for lubrication oil

heh

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So does Fairfax drop at midnight or what

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

So does Fairfax drop at midnight or what

Drop the bass?

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

ahmeni posted:

Mr Palmer was also involved in the approval or rejection of small purchases, including:

$3,546 for lubrication oil

Was that for his employees when he bent them over to donate their entitlements to his vanity political party?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh, so we're talking about Clive Palmer's lubricated dick now?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
still a more interesting conversation than anything involving bill shorten

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

Oh, so we're talking about Clive Palmer's lubricated dick now?

were we ever not?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He may own a nickel mine but in his pants is a Gold Mine.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
lucrative for the owner, dangerous for the workers, and it leaves behind toxic byproducts that require careful containment procedures?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Clive Palmer is fat

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Here is a thing

http://howlround.com/kill-new-play-deniers

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 11, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The photo kind of tells you everything you need to know.

He also has ab implants.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

norp posted:

[citation needed]

What are you disputing? That they've been legal for decades? The IAC 1887 does the same thing and has been around for yonks. Googling that gives a ton of ads and forum posts.

That no crimes have been committed with one? It's hard to prove a negative and any sources I cite would be called biased. Can you find a single example of a crime committed with one?

The whole thing is a media beat-up aimed at spooking people who know nothing about guns. It's like if someone was importing cars with a V8 engine and marketed how fast they were, then the media ran a smear campaign about a "terrifying new engine" with "8 cylinders DOUBLE what a normal car has" that will leave blood on the streets.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

ahmeni posted:

It's terrifying that you think the problem is that we're subsidising under-valued degrees and not that the we under value the arts as a society.

If people valued the arts more we'd pay more to see them. If every Fine Arts facility vanished overnight and private schools were the only option, personally it wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
are you Karl pilkington, is that what's going on here

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

If people valued the arts more we'd pay more to see them. If every Fine Arts facility vanished overnight and private schools were the only option, personally it wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

N... no...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Seagull posted:

are you Karl pilkington, is that what's going on here

That's unfair to Karl.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
The same argument came out about Voluntary Student Unionism back in the day. If you value something non-essiential, great. You can pay for it. Don't make me pay for it just because you like it.

I'd defund the Australian Institute of Sport too.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

People value arts just fine, but the allocation of tangible resources in society is skewed towards concentration by a relative few at the expense of many. As a result, most people are too busy using their limited resources to pay for such essentials as "food" and "shelter" to be able to afford to allocate said resources to art.

The paradox comes from the fact that if "most" people had more tangible resources with which to funnel to arts and other recreation, the value of those resources would go down and cancel out the benefit. It only appears to work when it is forcibly allocated via some wealthy benefactor or from an organisation - like a government.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
So, given the choice, people don't fund "the arts" generally. They fund the type of arts they like - movies, video games, musicians. If we were going to subsidize anything I'd rather it be these kind of things instead of "art" that one person in ten enjoys. Let the market decide.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

So, given the choice, people don't fund "the arts" generally. They fund the type of arts they like - movies, video games, musicians. If we were going to subsidize anything I'd rather it be these kind of things instead of "art" that one person in ten enjoys. Let the market decide.

People fund the recreation they can afford, not necessarily what they like. I imagine plenty of women would love to go to the ballet every week, but it's an expensive habit to maintain.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
If only there was some kind of system where we could keep quantify the resources required to accomplish a goal, and decide if we are generating enough of a surplus of resources from our labor to allocate a fraction to recreational activities. But since there isn't I'm sure every little girl would love a pony, why don't we hand them out

^^^^ thanks, I strained my eyes for a good few minutes trying to see the hidden 3D image.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

stop wasting my valuable pixels with your "art"

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

If I could afford to get all the commercial channels to remove reality TV and replace it with quality Australian drama and comedy I would. But they will continue to create it as long as it sells advertising and there is no law compelling them to do otherwise. So that's what we get.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

you see education has no intrinsic value of its own

a university is a place to get trained in something that pays well

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

If only there was some kind of system where we could keep quantify the resources required to accomplish a goal, and decide if we are generating enough of a surplus of resources from our labor to allocate a fraction to recreational activities. But since there isn't I'm sure every little girl would love a pony, why don't we hand them out

In an era of fiat currency the concept of surplus resources is a fiction. We can create a surplus just fine, it's just politically hard to sell because people see it as making their lives more difficult, without understanding that if it happens in aggregate for everybody the effect cancels itself out, with the end result being we can now afford a thing.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I'd rather that than the idiotic American system where they make you do a ton of non-related electives to milk those sweet student dollars.

If we gave everyone a trillion dollars it'd create massive inflation which would punish any poor bugger who'd worked hard all their life to put money in the bank. You'd have similar chaos if you just zero'd everyone bank balance / mortgage in the interest of fairness.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 11, 2016

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

I'd rather that than the idiotic American system where they make you do a ton of non-related electives to milk those sweet student dollars.

The american funding system aside, doing "non-related electives" helps people think outside of their chosen vocation, improving critical thinking and other areas. More well rounded students. I claim this is probably beneficial in a world of high disruption in all industries.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

If we gave everyone a trillion dollars it'd create massive inflation which would punish any poor bugger who'd worked hard all their life to put money in the bank. You'd have similar chaos if you just zero'd everyone bank balance / mortgage in the interest of fairness.

Sure, it's also make being a "trillionaire" meaningless. Nobody is arguing for that. Attaching one or two percentage points to the top of the revenue target doesn't cause chaos though.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Try having a read of this while replacing "bread" with "art":

https://medium.com/working-life/why-should-we-support-the-idea-of-an-unconditional-basic-income-8a2680c73dd3#.u7ld9bh13

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog is BACK!

And here are the kittens. They have grown:

And here is a ferocious feral cat showing a human what for:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

LibertyCat posted:

lmao if you think videogames are art

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Mithranderp posted:

:shittypop:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Just look at the way people carry on when someone tries to apply any sort of academic criticism to video games. If they can't handle even a simple feminist critique then it doesn't deserve to be art

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Zenithe posted:

This seems unusual. Is there some kind of precedent for this of is Geelong as bad as I've heard?

Geelong Council to be sacked by Victorian Government after scathing report

I hope they give me a refund for the fine for not voting in this piece of poo poo last time. One of the options was literally a homeless guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Mithranderp posted:

if the lovely paint-mess linked earlier qualifies, something with a good musical score counts on that part alone.

• Locked thread