Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

What can I say, I was trusting the rescue lady when she said "don't let her outside (not 'with other dogs', literally "you said you had a backyard, I wouldn't let her run around in it") before she's had her full course of parvo vaccines" and made it sound like it was bug-bite transmitted v:shobon:v

a rescue lady told me a pitbull puppy would totally be fine in a multidog household and not require any special care more than what we do with our beagle. rescue ladys are just dogmoms who are crazy enough to take care of dogs that arent theirs for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

rescue ladys are just dogmoms who are crazy enough to take care of dogs that arent theirs for free.

This. A billion times this. The rescue lady at the local dogpark is chronically clueless even to me, a person who didn't own a dog before just over a month ago.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Where do Rescue Ladies fall ranked against Dog Breeders and Horse People?

Dog story: Dog walks in and out of open back door several times through the morning. Dog comes to me and barks. I grab the leash and she gets excited and sits by the open door. I put the leash on the dog and take her through the still open door to her spot and she pees.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

Dog story: Dog walks in and out of open back door several times through the morning. Dog comes to me and barks. I grab the leash and she gets excited and sits by the open door. I put the leash on the dog and take her through the still open door to her spot and she pees.

Your dog appears to have you well trained. Smart dog.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What happens at a dog park? You sit there while your dog goes and does dog things off on their own?

The reason I ask is that I've never gone to such a thing. I'm not sure they had any when I was growing up, and it doesn't sound like something that would have interested my parents, to put it lightly.

My sister in law finds it odd that I would go on a 4 mile walk on trails through the woods and across streams, when I could "just go to the dog park." Her husband also regularly insists that I get a doggy door rather than house train the dog - he seems to forget the rat that was coming in to his house through the door to eat fruit on the kitchen counter.

My thoughts on their living furniture aside, are dog parks a good thing? Do they just spread disease? My dog is still a little shy when meeting new dogs, especially ones that are bigger than her, so I don't know how constructive a dog park would be at this point.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 3, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm not sure where else to ask this, has anyone else had to neutralize a dog before? How? I really really like animals so this is kind of tough to think through but I feel like it's the sort of event I should be better prepared for.

Today I watched a kid get attacked by a loose dog in a park and it was very unpleasant. The dog clamped down on his arm and started shaking and I immediately realized this was a situation I was completely unprepared for in my life. Naturally everyone around started screaming at and kicking and hitting the dog, which seemed to strengthen his resolve to hold on. Someone dumped water on the dog right away which didn't seem to phase him, then someone got a huge stick and started smacking the ever loving poo poo out of the dog trying to knock him out. At this point I figured the best thing to do would be to just try and choke the dog out, without blood to the brain the dog should be out quickly and would let go. I managed to lock my arm around his neck and was sort wrapped my legs around him a bit to make sure he was not going to move at all before I attempted this, but right when I wrapped my legs around him the dog let go of the kid and we were able to separate them. It wasn't as awful as it looked and sounded at the time, the kid needed some stitches but there won't be any permanent damage.

I'm just wondering if this was a horrible idea or not, seemed like the best way to stop him quickly with the least amount of risk of hurting the dog, and probably more effective than just trying to knock out the dog by hitting it repeatedly on the skull. Some googling suggests random idiots on the internet have done this when attacked by a dog before and successfully stopped them, but who knows.

Still never found out whose dog it was, nobody has claimed it yet.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 3, 2016

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
choking a dog out is actually a pretty good way to get them off of a bite, it's a pretty common technique with police k9s and other bitedogs. however you run a pretty good risk of the dog redirecting on to you so ymmv. i've also had pretty good luck with kicking a dog in the stomach really hard so that they get the wind knocked out of them and then pulling them backwards when their grip loosens.

FogHelmut posted:

What happens at a dog park? You sit there while your dog goes and does dog things off on their own?

The reason I ask is that I've never gone to such a thing. I'm not sure they had any when I was growing up, and it doesn't sound like something that would have interested my parents, to put it lightly.

My sister in law finds it odd that I would go on a 4 mile walk on trails through the woods and across streams, when I could "just go to the dog park." Her husband also regularly insists that I get a doggy door rather than house train the dog - he seems to forget the rat that was coming in to his house through the door to eat fruit on the kitchen counter.

My thoughts on their living furniture aside, are dog parks a good thing? Do they just spread disease? My dog is still a little shy when meeting new dogs, especially ones that are bigger than her, so I don't know how constructive a dog park would be at this point.

there is the occasional decent dog park but they are largely populated by morons who don't watch their dogs, out of control dogs, out of control children, and other lovely things. taking a shy dog to one is a pretty good way to ensure she ends up really hating dogs and there honestly isn't any real benefit to going to a dog park. your sister in law is stupid, cool walks through woods is infinitely better than tossing her in a poo poo infested field with a bunch of barely supervised, out of control dogs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Dog parks have their pros and cons. Like people, there are some cool ones and some douchebags.

Some parks are well taken care of and clean, others are filthy poo poo holes of disease. They're nice because they're usually completely fenced in so you don't have to worry about your dog getting out and running away. With that, some people think they can just bring their dog in and jump on their phones with headphones in and ignore their dogs for an hour or so.

Seattle has a ton of dog parks, each with its own regulars and issues. They are a good outlet for dogs to just let loose. When our puppy finds other pointer breeds they go nuts and play. If you look after your dog, you can adapt them to being around dogs but some dogs just don't like attention from other dogs.

The thing I never understand is why people bring babies and small children to dog parks. Dogs can get excited by children and their nonverbal behavior. I've seen kids hit dogs with sticks, chase them, slap their buts, scream at them, touch their faces/mouths, and try to encourage chasing. Then parents freak out when a dog gets excited and their kids get scared.

Don't go unless you feel you can control your dog.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
poo poo, half the reason I got a dog was to go on walks in the woods / parks.

Skyla is growing fast.

She's also taken ownership of a chair.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

We have a pretty bad, completely unregulated dog park where I live and I take my dog there two or three times a week. It's mostly a place for dogs to hang out and chase each other in circles and poop without being on leashes. My dog usually just runs off on his own (I have a beagle so he's a lot more interested in following dogs' scent trails than following the actual dogs) but sometimes he plays with other dogs and I can usually get 10 to 15 minutes of tossing tennis balls around before he decides he'd rather just eat a tennis ball, leading to 20 minutes of me chasing him around trying to get him to stop eating tennis balls. I can get him to stop right away by bribing him with food but it's good exercise for both of us and he clearly really likes it.

It's all about finding the right group of people. Our park isn't great (no supervision, a ton of stray dog poop, clueless owners ranging from a lady who just walks laps around the fence with her German Shepherd freaking out at other dogs while still on its leash to a know it all breed-specific rescue owner who is a self-proclaimed expert on all breeds) but I've been able to get around a lot of the shitiness by sticking to a regular visit schedule.

The best time for me to go is between about 8:30 and 11:30 on weekend mornings when all the college kids are hungover or sleeping in (or at least I was when I was in college) and the families with small children are running errands before coming for afternoon trips. There's a pretty regular group of working-age owners with generally chill dogs and I think some familiarity helps my dog; it also just happens to be a time that a lot of beagle mixes are around too and they always manage to form a pack to harass other dogs (in a playful way).

My dog's been in two fights at the park in the past year and a half and neither one was entirely his fault or entirely the other dog's fault. I've been lucky that both of them were with dogs that had attentive owners but the worst thing that happened in either fight was me being dumb and sticking my arm between the dogs and having my dog bite down on my wrist. It barely drew blood but he knew he hosed up and hasn't tried to start poo poo with any other dogs since then. (This was about a year ago when a lot of dogs were coming out from being indoors for the winter, so it's a bit of a risky time at the dog park).

I've seen a few bad fights (some pretty decent cuts on dogs, but nothing that's bothered the dog enough to make it stop grinning); there are stories of a few dogs getting killed at the park but they're all pretty obvious "how the gently caress did this happen" stories (greyhounds running down tiny dogs, a giant pit bull trampling another tiny dog). Just keep an eye on your dog and don't be afraid to remove him or her if there's another dog starting poo poo, even if yours is doing nothing wrong. I personally hover like five feet away from mine at all times but I could definitely be more chill and he'd be fine.

I have heard a lot of stories about people breaking legs when dogs get distracted and run into them (and I've had bigger dogs crash into me or jump on me a bunch of times), so that's the big worry I'd have in a dog park.

I'd much rather hike with my dog or walk around or do some sprinting to tire him out, but I think socializing him (and giving him off-leash outdoor time, since he's a beagle and we don't have a fenced yard) does him good. It's also a good chance to meet other dog owners, which is especially nice if you're new to an area.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

TraderStav posted:

poo poo, half the reason I got a dog was to go on walks in the woods / parks.

Skyla is growing fast.

She's also taken ownership of a chair.

I know you previously said she was a Detroit rescue -- do you mind me asking you which shelter you rescued her from? She's adorable. :3:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
first dog has been throwing up everything since yesterday morning, i guess it's vet time :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tensokuu posted:

I know you previously said she was a Detroit rescue -- do you mind me asking you which shelter you rescued her from? She's adorable. :3:

Here's the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/HomeFurEver/

The people running it are a bit insufferable where we were originally declined as applicants due to not having a fence. Ignoring the fact that 90% of the new developments in the past 20-30 years do not allow fences. Extremely anal about the process, but in the end, it's worth it. They definitely are not about the money, so that's a good thing but extremely overbearing on the rules. In the 'contract' I had to sign I had to agree that the dog would wear their tags for the life of the dog. Just overkill.

That being said, they're constantly out there taking care of these abandoned/stray dogs. Some horror story a week or so ago with a burned/chewed up dog that they took in and are nursing back to health. So they're good people. I highly recommend you get approved as soon as you can and then wait for the right dog, it takes ~2 weeks to get approved so it's highly likely that you won't get the pup/dog you want at an adoption event unless you're already approved. Since we were originally declined when we were approved we had the literal pick of the litter when we went as we were the only ones who were able to take a dog home that day.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Lordy the people at the local dog park can get weird. There's one middle aged lady that has a half grown female Dalmatian that she brings by the park occasionally. Beautiful dog, but she never brings it inside, she just walks it up to the fence and hold onto it there while the entire park ruins over and starts sniffing and freaking out to a small degree. The Dalmatian doesn't take this too well and starts to get nervous at which point the owner walks off with her to who knows where, never lasts more than 5 minutes. When asked why she never brings it inside by one of the ladies on the neighborhood board or whatever, she replies that it's because "she's not fixed". Which makes for a double whammy of stupid because: 1. If it was in heat, you're just starting a TON of chaos by bringing her out and near the park and 2. If she's not in heat, then you have no reason not to bring her in. When board lady mentioned that bringin the dog by was messing with the dogs inside, the owner got pissy and claimed she was being discriminated against. Unironically. Like a tumblr argument, but in real life. It was amazing.

To top it off, we see her a bit later with the dog out and about wearing booties (neither cold nor salted roads at the time) and she was riding her bike with what looked like a 3 foot leash attached from the bike's rear axle going to the dog's muzzle. Holy poo poo.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

FadingChord posted:

We have a pretty bad, completely unregulated dog park where I live and I take my dog there two or three times a week. It's mostly a place for dogs to hang out and chase each other in circles and poop without being on leashes. My dog usually just runs off on his own (I have a beagle so he's a lot more interested in following dogs' scent trails than following the actual dogs) but sometimes he plays with other dogs and I can usually get 10 to 15 minutes of tossing tennis balls around before he decides he'd rather just eat a tennis ball, leading to 20 minutes of me chasing him around trying to get him to stop eating tennis balls. I can get him to stop right away by bribing him with food but it's good exercise for both of us and he clearly really likes it.

It's all about finding the right group of people. Our park isn't great (no supervision, a ton of stray dog poop, clueless owners ranging from a lady who just walks laps around the fence with her German Shepherd freaking out at other dogs while still on its leash to a know it all breed-specific rescue owner who is a self-proclaimed expert on all breeds) but I've been able to get around a lot of the shitiness by sticking to a regular visit schedule.

The best time for me to go is between about 8:30 and 11:30 on weekend mornings when all the college kids are hungover or sleeping in (or at least I was when I was in college) and the families with small children are running errands before coming for afternoon trips. There's a pretty regular group of working-age owners with generally chill dogs and I think some familiarity helps my dog; it also just happens to be a time that a lot of beagle mixes are around too and they always manage to form a pack to harass other dogs (in a playful way).

My dog's been in two fights at the park in the past year and a half and neither one was entirely his fault or entirely the other dog's fault. I've been lucky that both of them were with dogs that had attentive owners but the worst thing that happened in either fight was me being dumb and sticking my arm between the dogs and having my dog bite down on my wrist. It barely drew blood but he knew he hosed up and hasn't tried to start poo poo with any other dogs since then. (This was about a year ago when a lot of dogs were coming out from being indoors for the winter, so it's a bit of a risky time at the dog park).

I've seen a few bad fights (some pretty decent cuts on dogs, but nothing that's bothered the dog enough to make it stop grinning); there are stories of a few dogs getting killed at the park but they're all pretty obvious "how the gently caress did this happen" stories (greyhounds running down tiny dogs, a giant pit bull trampling another tiny dog). Just keep an eye on your dog and don't be afraid to remove him or her if there's another dog starting poo poo, even if yours is doing nothing wrong. I personally hover like five feet away from mine at all times but I could definitely be more chill and he'd be fine.

I have heard a lot of stories about people breaking legs when dogs get distracted and run into them (and I've had bigger dogs crash into me or jump on me a bunch of times), so that's the big worry I'd have in a dog park.

I'd much rather hike with my dog or walk around or do some sprinting to tire him out, but I think socializing him (and giving him off-leash outdoor time, since he's a beagle and we don't have a fenced yard) does him good. It's also a good chance to meet other dog owners, which is especially nice if you're new to an area.

this reads like a list of reasons to never go to a dog park lmao

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What is the general consensus on using medication to address separation anxiety in dogs? Belle is peeing in her crate and being destructive to whatever she can get her teeth on when I'm not around. Even if I leave her for an hour or so to roam around to apartment and porch I can expect to find a puddle when I get back. She's getting spayed tomorrow and I don't want her freaking out and ending up getting her stitches covered in pee.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ausrotten posted:

there is the occasional decent dog park but they are largely populated by morons who don't watch their dogs, out of control dogs, out of control children, and other lovely things. taking a shy dog to one is a pretty good way to ensure she ends up really hating dogs and there honestly isn't any real benefit to going to a dog park. your sister in law is stupid, cool walks through woods is infinitely better than tossing her in a poo poo infested field with a bunch of barely supervised, out of control dogs.

Yeah I think we both prefer this

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Ausrotten posted:

this reads like a list of reasons to never go to a dog park lmao

You're not wrong.

I feel like I can say "oh the local park's really gone downhill since we started going" but honestly that's confirmation bias and it's less "yay we have a dog park" and more "this is the only enclosed area my dog can run around in ever".

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah I think we both prefer this

good way to get your dog a UTI I guess

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
i too am terrified of my dog being outside in nature

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I like my local dog park but that's because I'm in the clique of assholes that has total social and physical domination over the space and all must bow to our whims and those of our aggressive, uncontrolled dogs.

I can see how other people might not be in to that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I should also be taking this away before I take photos for the internet, right

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah don't leave a dog in your picture of a log.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do not cross the herding breeds.

Walked 1 mile to my in-laws house, where I was watering the plants while they're out of town. She did literal sprints around their back yard for an hour. Walked 2 miles home the long way, including some jogging.

She slept for 10 minutes, took two bites of food, and started barking at me. We are now playing fetch in the back yard.

I'm not sure which is me and which is the dog in this example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGwxUa2Ilbg

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 6, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Holy poo poo 14 days with an active dog in a cone and no strenuous physical activity is crazy. I couldn't be happier when he got his stitches out today.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

We just rescued a puppy. He'd been thrown in a pond and had worms. Worms are gone and we take him back to the vet in a few days. We named him Cooper. He's very sweet and hyperactive.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Looking for some ideas. My 5 month old puppy is basically crate trained - she will not pee in her crate at night or during the day. If she's outside of her crate though, she seems to need to pee every hour. I know she can hold it since she does so for 4-5 hours in her crate no problem. So why does she need to pee so often if I have her outside of the crate?

She hasn't pooped in the house for a long time now at least. If I can just get the peeing under control I'd be thrilled.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 10, 2016

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I had a similar concern when mine was younger. Turns out she had a UTI. Despite being able to hold it all night. Antibiotics solved our housebreaking woes overnight.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

We just rescued a puppy. He'd been thrown in a pond and had worms. Worms are gone and we take him back to the vet in a few days. We named him Cooper. He's very sweet and hyperactive.

White chested dogs are the best dogs, IMO.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TraderStav posted:

Agreed.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I've been noticing that Beauty really likes to have her back legs together when she's moving - like instead of moving them separately while going upstairs, she's using them to hop like a rabbit. She does move them individually when she's walking, but any time she jumps or runs, it turns into this jackrabbit pounce. Is this a normal thing, or just a harmless quirk, or is it a sign of some kind of problem? She doesn't seem to be in any pain. We just got her vet records from the rescue, and they didn't note anything about her legs except medial patellar luxation.

I also got around to weighing her (after looking at the vet records) and she is 15 lbs, not 10. I *thought* she was a bit heftier than my friend's little bichon mix.

She continues to be a Very Good Dog. She sits with both kids at night when they go to bed, and wakes them up in the mornings with face licks. :3:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Skyla also bunny hops up the stairs but haven't noticed the behavior any time else. Will start to look.

It's cute as hell and I figured it's a symptom of having short puppy legs right now.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
I thought the bunny hop was just something some dogs did? Ours does it if she's going up stairs, but if she wants to go faster she can do it perfectly normally...

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Bunny hopping is a classic symptom of luxating patellas.

It's not a huge thing, but talk to your vet about it. The best thing you can do for your pups is ensure that they're a healthy weight and that they're active and well muscled. Surgery is an option for really severe cases, but most of the time isn't necessary.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

a life less posted:

Bunny hopping is a classic symptom of luxating patellas.

It's not a huge thing, but talk to your vet about it. The best thing you can do for your pups is ensure that they're a healthy weight and that they're active and well muscled. Surgery is an option for really severe cases, but most of the time isn't necessary.
Oh, that's good to know, I hadn't seen that connection in my google researching. The vet who saw her for the rescue rated the luxation at stage 1, which I think is pretty mild. I was starting to worry about hip dysplasia because she's also very waddly, but she doesn't show other signs of it, and again, no indications she's in pain. I'll keep it in mind to ask the vet when I take her.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Thirded.

witherlegs
Sep 29, 2011

Let's rotate the board.
Diving right in, any tips on potty training a 6 year old rescue dog that has absolutely no concept of going to the bathroom outside? He's a rescue, and the organization said he was housebroken. However, he doesn't recognize any key words (outside, potty, pee, etc), and when I take him outside to do business, he just sits and stares at me. I have a sneaking suspicion his foster parents left him in a crate and then just let him run around in their fenced-in yard (and then crated him again). We've had him since Wednesday, he has literally poo poo outside once - that was when we took him for a nice hike, and after about 45 minutes he dropped a grumper. He pooped in the basement and the dining room when unsupervised on Thursday and Friday. No poops today - he spent the day at my partner's house, and when I brought him back we had a nice long stroll around the yard so he could pee (which he did). Maybe 5 minutes after we came inside, he peed in the dining room.
We tried taking his poo from inside the house and putting it in the yard and letting him smell it. When he was going in the dining room, I tried to get to him to bring him outside but by the time I got there he had completed his business. Otherwise, he's a really sweet dog, if not terribly bright (he's got stealing the cat's food down to a loving science, though...). My friend gave me a crate to use, and I've looked over the crate-training FAQ a few times - I guess I'm just stressed out about this and want to be reassured that he'll be fine and pick it up? I've also never crate-trained a dog before, and I don't want to gently caress it all up. (Our rescue dog before was inbred as hell, super passive, and basically a stuffed animal, but he picked up on "potty" and "outside" within a couple of days. I was all :smuggo: "See how easy it is?" I EAT MY WORDS IN SHAME NOW.)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Treat him like a puppy. Don't let him out of your sight, and when you need to leave the house put him in a crate. When he does go outside throw a party and give him all of the treats. Another thing is if he's used to having a yard to roam about and do his business by himself he might not realize that's what his walks are for now. I might try getting a long lead (20 ft or so) and letting him roam with a little more freedom and see if that works.

I'd also clean the hell out of the places he's gone in the house with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle so they don't smell like okay places to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I got Belle some meds for her anxiety when I got her spayed a week ago, but they aren't having any effect; hooray. Well, that's not entirely true, they (or the painkillers) have apparently thrown her digestive system into flux as she seems to have forgotten all about not peeing inside and even crapped on the floor twice the other day. Love this pup, but good lord.