Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
:five:

E: EVERY TIME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
OH MrsAdiabatic, How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavoured to form?

A mere 30 miles from Richmond, and I beheld the wretch -- the miserable monster whom I had created. His jaws opened, and he muttered some inarticulate grinding, and then a loud screech pierced the night, and then silence.

Seized. The wretched beast's heart had completely seized. Oh! no mortal could support the horror of that countenance:

I passed the night wretchedly. Sometimes my pulse beat so quickly and hardly that I felt the palpitation of every artery; at others, I nearly sank to the ground through languor and extreme weakness. Mingled with this horror, I felt the bitterness of disappointment; dreams that had been my food and pleasant rest for so long a space were now become a hell to me; and the change was so rapid, the overthrow so complete!

Morning, dismal and wet, at length dawned, and discovered to my sleepless and aching eyes:

Not like this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Exactly like this. :swoon:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Gorester lies dormant, awaiting new sacrifices

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
gently caress. Yes.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

PaintVagrant posted:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Gorester RicVA wgah'nagl fhtagn!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

Once it gets a taste of sweet sweet Adiabetic blood it's lust will never be the same.

I call him adiabatic all the time, I know. eat me.

E: I think its proper you take my name now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

Gifts from the local Larrymer natives shower us:

:tipshat:

What was happening when it seized? Driving it hard or normal?

To keep with the spirit of the car, you're only allowed to spend $8 on the rebuild.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
It's testing you

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You must be the only person in America with an Austin Maestro poster

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MORE SKULLS FOR THE SKULLTHRONE

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

^^^^^^^

The first engine with all the poo poo laying below it is some frankenEJ (fitting) that was rebuilt by a honda guy. It ran, and I heard it run, but they never got it running *right*. Regardless, it had good compression and no knocks so I figure the bottom end ain't the problem. $160.

The first engine is also in the second and third image. The longblock accompanying it is hosed but I paid $100 for it so yay parts motor! I'll tear into it to see if I can salvage the heads at least, but for $100 I have a shitload of engine accessories at least.

The final image is a shortblock that some dude says had a blown turbo and shavings in the pan. I'll open it up to check the journals but worst case scenario I've got a block with good bores. That one was also $100.

So $360 all in I've got some stock to mangle and mishmash to get it going for a little while at least.

If anyone with subaru engine rebuilding experience wants to weigh in (paging jamal) I would love your advice!

^^^^^^^

So after telling the PO "yeah I don't think I'll have much time for it for the next month or so" I got curious on Friday and dug in a little bit.

Timing belt's fine:

The next few are reference pics for when I put it back together.

Intercooler off:

Fuel lines:

Engine ready to come out:

Separated:

Took the oil pan off. No visible rod/crank damage:

Driver-side head off. Looks fine on both sides:

Took this as a sign that I should quit for the night:

Here's where we stand:

Need to get some spring cleaning going soon.

So the passenger-side head is still on (loving cam gear bolts ugh) and I'm expecting to see a broken piston in there. The valves look fine when you shine into the runners and the cam journals/lobes look great on both sides, so I should be able to re-use the heads.

If it ain't a broken piston, uhhhhhhhh thrust bearing maybe? poo poo I dunno. That fucker is seized up tight though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If it's a busted piston and nothing else serious I dare you to drop one in from a parts motor and keep on truckin' :v:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Budget, no-fucks build and all that, but seriously consider getting the FU Cam bolts: http://turninconcepts.com/tic-fu-cam-bolt-kit-non-avcs.html
I had good luck with my cam bolts, then the next time i touched them it was like they welded themselves to the cams and the lovely inverted hex / Allen socket stripped right the gently caress out. But then again, I think you have easy access to a welder so you can just tac on a bolt head and go to town.

kastein posted:

If it's a busted piston and nothing else serious I dare you to drop one in from a parts motor and keep on truckin' :v:

Second'

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So is he going to get an engine kill marking to go with all the transmissions?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kastein posted:

If I could find a cheap replacement VF39 I'd totally do that until it grenades. As it stands, I have a few decent options:

1. Honda-built motor. Known good, but who knows how it'll hold up under boost and all that.
2. If the bores are good, unfree this bitch and roll the gently caress out. If not, use the LRA and 3 pistons from this one and a piston and the bores from the $100 shortblock and roll the gently caress out.

I have a feeling both will be happening.

Bajaha posted:

FU Cam bolts

I may do this just for ease of rebuild, considering I'm probably gonna be tearing it down a bunch.

MrYenko posted:

So is he going to get an engine kill marking to go with all the transmissions?

AAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLUUUUUUUTTTTTTTEEEEEEELLLLLLLYYYYYYY

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Larrymer posted:

What was happening when it seized? Driving it hard or normal?

To keep with the spirit of the car, you're only allowed to spend $8 on the rebuild.

I drove it straight to a party, and gave about 8 people joyrides down random country roads. It made an intermittent knocking sound right before I shut it off on the final one, and then when I turned it on it made a screech at idle and shut off completely.

You Am I posted:

You must be the only person in America with an Austin Maestro poster

That's my buddy Jake, who owned the Gorester before me. That's his little shop of horrors in michigan.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Other side looks great too:

Took a good hard look inside and didn't see any loose rod caps or broken/bent rods:

I'm at a bit of a loss here, folks. Anyone have any ideas?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Does it still not turn at all with the heads and other poo poo taken off?

Pull the oil pump and see if it's damaged maybe... after that it basically has to be rotating assembly.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Pull the oil pump and see if it's damaged maybe... after that it basically has to be rotating assembly.

If not this you seized a main probably.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
The question is, where can you buy vinyl stickers of a boxer engine with a cross drawn through it?

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 14, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kastein posted:

Just ran out and pulled it. Still seized.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

The question is, where can you buy vinyl stickers of a boxer engine with a cross draw through it?

They are in the works :clint:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Need to make a graphic of some sort of chibi elder god eating engines and transmissions like pac man, imo

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Well at this point, regardless of whats going on with this shortblock, I'm proceeding as follows:

1. Honda-built EJ20 is getting built up and going in first with the understanding that it's probably gonna blow the gently caress up
2. Junkyard EJ22s in the near future to replace Honda-built EJ20 when it inevitably succumbs to the Gorester
3. Might rebuild this guy if it's not horrible when I tear it down, just cause

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

poo poo I can even use the heads off that other bullshit EJ20 if they're in good shape. Build the EJ22/20 frankenmotor and have it ready to go when Hondamotor bites it.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Were you able to find the source of the dead transmission decals by chance?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The PO's wife made them. I'll talk to him about getting a bulk order so I can send them out to interested folk (and prepare for the inevitable)

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I am happy to pay top dollar for those

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I too will be in need of those as mine has gone through 3. But now with the six speed, the axles are consumables :getin:

Hopefully she'll be able / want to make them and they can find their way to the Subaru masses.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I, too, need transmission and engine kill stickers for my Forester.

Time to split your first subaru block and find out just what the gently caress is going on in there I guess, gotta say this is the weirdest engine failure I've seen.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
On the used piston front, there are much worse things you could do.

My sister broke the timing belt on her 4 cyl Optima. Figured get a junkyard head and head set and be good to go.

When I pulled the head, two valves had been decapitated and smashed a hole through the top of the piston and had become embedded.

Went back to the junkyard, pulled a piston from the same car I got the head from.

Installed the head with no machine work, used piston rings that were on the piston. No smoke, no noise, no leaks, sold the car 2 years later ...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just a head check, but that thing is in neutral right?

Seized crank bearing? Is your flywheel jammed with vomited transmission parts?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Unless he's holding the flywheel like a knob or somehow has it jammed against the engine stand, it should be free to rotate.

Curious to see the autopsy, my money's on main bearing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

FuzzKill posted:

On the used piston front, there are much worse things you could do.

My sister broke the timing belt on her 4 cyl Optima. Figured get a junkyard head and head set and be good to go.

When I pulled the head, two valves had been decapitated and smashed a hole through the top of the piston and had become embedded.

Went back to the junkyard, pulled a piston from the same car I got the head from.

Installed the head with no machine work, used piston rings that were on the piston. No smoke, no noise, no leaks, sold the car 2 years later ...

Optima.... Subaru...
Optima... Subaru...
One of these is not like the other. Subie motors seem to be really picky about, well, everything.
My money is on a broken crank or a seized main. Or maybe both!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Seized crank bearing? Is your flywheel jammed with vomited transmission parts?

Crank gear is off, oil pump is off, flywheel and clutch are off, starter and transmission were off a long time ago.

Basically anything peripheral to the lower rotating assembly that could affect its movement is now removed, and it's still locked up. It can only be (crank/rod/piston/main bearing/rod bearing/block) failure from here on out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Crank gear is off, oil pump is off, flywheel and clutch are off, starter and transmission were off a long time ago.

Basically anything peripheral to the lower rotating assembly that could affect its movement is now removed, and it's still locked up. It can only be (crank/rod/piston/main bearing/rod bearing/block) failure from here on out.

Given that...

Bajaha posted:

my money's on main bearing.

me too. But even then it would have to be SUPER hosed to completely lock the engine.
I'm assuming there's no play?

If it was a bent rod the engine should still rotate...

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

If you can make more boxer kill stickers I'd buy one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My money's on a spun and seized rod bearing. Do these kill #1 first like EJ25s or is their kink more toward the 2/3/4 end of the spectrum?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kastein posted:

My money's on a spun and seized rod bearing. Do these kill #1 first like EJ25s or is their kink more toward the 2/3/4 end of the spectrum?

Weird enough I just called Eric Hicks "The Subie Guy" here in RVA, looking for head gaskets. We got to talking and he says his money's on the #1 rod bearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also the irony is not lost on me that the first day I own this car it spins a rod bearing...