Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Is it strange that I wish there were more anti-clerical video games that cover religious wars fought for pointless clauses over 'holy' tiny strips of land, and how those wars suck?

Actually, Holy Wars are great. You can grab every title in a de jure duchy a redistribute them however you want, basically for free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He has literally no lines in game and Bahamut says he's not really good or evil at this point, just kind of mindlessly doing his thing. The meglomania thing is mostly how the old fucker Grand Maester whoever and Seymour were painting the whole religion, which is mostly them reflecting their own warped view of the world and their obsession with keeping themselves on top onto Yu Yevon himself.

Yeah but the fact that he did it in the first place is pretty megalomanical to me. Even if by now he's just an unthinking force of nature, picking that role for himself at the beginning of things is a bit much. And yeah, Mikah is the Pope in the Yevon church, but when the chuch's literal god was a guy that essentially went "I'm the god of this world now, get hosed" I think that's evil and megalomanical on its own, even with the specific circumstances.

Rhonne posted:

I feel like Woolie makes fights last longer than they have to sometimes because he always wants to do exactly as the guide says.

They're significantly shorter than the early/mid game ones where the interface was treated like an unreadable black box, so it's fine. Matt's gone a long way to understanding the game mechanics as well, even if he's not playing super great.

Looking forward to the Yunalesca fight video(s?).

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015

YF-23 posted:

Yeah but the fact that he did it in the first place is pretty megalomanical to me. Even if by now he's just an unthinking force of nature, picking that role for himself at the beginning of things is a bit much. And yeah, Mikah is the Pope in the Yevon church, but when the chuch's literal god was a guy that essentially went "I'm the god of this world now, get hosed" I think that's evil and megalomanical on its own, even with the specific circumstances.

There's no real evidence Yu Yevon ever puts himself in a god position on purpose, he just wanted to summon the Dream Zanarkand as some way for their culture to survive, and he winds up being the guy who does the deed presumably because he's just the best at summoning. Sin just exists to protect him in case Bevelle ever attack him, but he made it too good and so now it just attacks people at random. By the time anyone realized Sin was a bad idea Yu Yevon was mindless and the only one who could feasibly stop him was his daughter, but she doesn't manage to kill him for whatever reason. All of the death religion stuff came about around 500 years later after Sin's return causes the people in charge to set up the Yevon thing as a way to get people to go on a suicide crusade and stop Sin from ever getting too far out of hand. It's also possible Yunalesca told everyone to do this because she is clearly crazy by the time Yuna + pals roll around and who knows how long she's been willing to kill people because they say no to her deal.

Words about an early 2000's jrpg.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
This Dogchild video is great and it's only been 4 minutes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

I love that he's OK with her eating the entire sandwich, but not just eating the parts she likes. He'd literally rather have nothing.

I can't blame him. Who the hell wants a cheese and lettuce sandwich? It's useless.

quote:

This Dogchild video is great and it's only been 4 minutes.

Is this a vessel thing?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Oxyclean posted:

Is this a vessel thing?

yes

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I can't blame him. Who the hell wants a cheese and lettuce sandwich? It's useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muOVF89VfLw&t=22s

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Hey, it's that dog...

...child!

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

YF-23 posted:

They're significantly shorter than the early/mid game ones where the interface was treated like an unreadable black box, so it's fine. Matt's gone a long way to understanding the game mechanics as well, even if he's not playing super great.

Looking forward to the Yunalesca fight video(s?).

He's still missing basic information such as "enemy's remaining HP versus Auron's average attack" but overall most fights are a lot faster.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Ok but I still don't get what tidus is and why sin attacks in the beginning and how Auron was there

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Farg posted:

Ok but I still don't get what tidus is

Hungry.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Farg posted:

Ok but I still don't get what tidus is

A dream.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tidus is effectively an Aeon (the water aeon, if you want to make that connection). Auron is unsent, so he just rides on Semi-coherent Ject-Sin to Zanarkand (an actual, physical place) and keeps an eye on him.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah Dream Zanarkind is a actual place that exists in the middle of he ocean in FFX. The story made a lot more sense when that was told to me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's another layer to DZ as well: the population there, although X-2 tries to muddle this somewhat, aren't just like, robots or holograms of dead people from old Zanarkand, they're individuals unto themselves that have their own functioning society. Like there's no dead Jecht or Tidus in the past the Fayth are just looping the lives of, and those copies accidentally escaped, it's a breeding population. So while FFX tries to present it as like, Tidus is personally sacrificing himself to end the cycle for mainland Spira, that's not really the whole of it in fact it ends up being not true at all which makes the whole thing proper hosed up: he and (and Jecht, to a degree) are just wiping an entire city of people out to end this.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's a shame that FFX is so bad at explaining what's actually going on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rodyle posted:

There's another layer to DZ as well: the population there, although X-2 tries to muddle this somewhat, aren't just like, robots or holograms of dead people from old Zanarkand, they're individuals unto themselves that have their own functioning society. Like there's no dead Jecht or Tidus in the past the Fayth are just looping the lives of, and those copies accidentally escaped, it's a breeding population. So while FFX tries to present it as like, Tidus is personally sacrificing himself to end the cycle for mainland Spira, that's not really the whole of it in fact it ends up being not true at all which makes the whole thing proper hosed up: he and (and Jecht, to a degree) are just wiping an entire city of people out to end this.

It's a little muddles in X as well. From the revisiting the fayths you can do at the endgame we do learn there's at least some consciousness shared between the person that became the fayth and the aeon they provide. There's an argument to be made that on some deep down level Zanarkand itself wanted this to finally end since the Fayths that make it were seeking out their own end.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

what's going on is loving STUPID

like, tropical island rpg cool, religious pilgrimage, cool, there's a lot of really creative ideas at the base of FFX but the game just SUCKS SO MUCH

Hell, X-2's idea of exploring what happens after the heroes overthrow the ancient social order is really neat too, shame that game is also a travesty!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Andrast posted:

It's a shame that FFX is so bad at explaining what's actually going on.

The only thing the game doesn't really explain is where Tidus's Zanarkand is. You get a small sense of it once you get the world map because you find the temple he washes up at at the start waaaaay out to the east in the middle of the ocean but other than that you're a bit hosed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rodyle posted:

what's going on is loving STUPID

like, tropical island rpg cool, religious pilgrimage, cool, there's a lot of really creative ideas at the base of FFX but the game just SUCKS SO MUCH

Hell, X-2's idea of exploring what happens after the heroes overthrow the ancient social order is really neat too, shame that game is also a travesty!

Actually they're both rad and you're wrong.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's a little muddles in X as well. From the revisiting the fayths you can do at the endgame we do learn there's at least some consciousness shared between the person that became the fayth and the aeon they provide. There's an argument to be made that on some deep down level Zanarkand itself wanted this to finally end since the Fayths that make it were seeking out their own end.

When I say "muddled" what I mean is that Tidus isn't just some copy of what's his face from 2. The people of DZ are a breeding population with their own minds and interests.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Basically DZ is one big wet dream taking place in its own bunkbed

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The only reason it seemed cool was because it sounded like Samarkand.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rodyle posted:

When I say "muddled" what I mean is that Tidus isn't just some copy of what's his face from 2. The people of DZ are a breeding population with their own minds and interests.

Eh, I always chalked that up to your typical Japanese melodrama/coincidence. I never really got the sense that they were trying to push the idea that Tidus was some weird dream copy of that piano playing mother fucker.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Vegnagun sounds like something you'd use to treat athlete's foot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/719610019885543424

Pat's getting desperate to play his souls of darkness.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It doesn't matter, he'll just cheat like he did with Bloodborne anyway.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Phantasium posted:

It doesn't matter, he'll just cheat like he did with Bloodborne anyway.

Pretty much.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You don't get it, it's impossible for him to avoid spoilers.

Anyways, Matt and Woolie managed to beat Yunalesca in one try, great job! Flamethrower trooper remains their most deadliest of foes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Flamethrower man made Matt grind to infinite to the point that Lulu can almost 9999 with an Aga spell. jeez.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

And yet, even with haste, Lulu is like, the slowest party member.

Yuna just kind of out classes her on every level at this point in the game huh?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

I can think of two places where Yuna never outclasses Lulu. :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Belts and nonexistence?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rhonne posted:

If you play on expert grid mode you can immediately put Yuna on the Black mage line and she eternally outclasses Lulu.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/nier-new/ nier automata site is open with a theme song

liam probably fainted again

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Matt's streaming some X-Files game: https://www.twitch.tv/matthewmcmuscles

Plague who hatefucks dark souls past 1 is streaming 3.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

plague getting super butthurt at katana guy is a pro watch

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Plague might have more fun if he fought katana guy the same way every time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Since Woolie's sick, when's the last time he wasn't on a podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Since Woolie's sick, when's the last time he wasn't on a podcast?

I think he is the only one of the four to have never missed a podcast.