Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

orphean posted:

The only real difference between mining, divination, runecrafting, woodcutting, and fishing is whether or not going to the bank is something you might want to do!

When you get sick of grinding on those though, you have skills like construction where you can create the same oak cupboard for days on end until you get to graduate to teak bidets for more of the same!

Still the worst community in the gaming industry!

Is it bad that this is just scratching my Skinner box itch and just wants me to play it more?

Also quests, are quests actually decent lately or have they all been worse than ME2 (I actually like EW3 so can't use that as worst quest ever)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Ibblebibble posted:

Is it bad that this is just scratching my Skinner box itch and just wants me to play it more?

Come back to the fold, brother.

Ibblebibble posted:

Also quests, are quests actually decent lately or have they all been worse than ME2 (I actually like EW3 so can't use that as worst quest ever)?

Quests are basically the best thing in the game content-wise. Modern quests are mostly really well done. Grinding through the poo poo quest backlog to meet prereqs is Not Fun though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

orphean posted:

Come back to the fold, brother.

Quests are basically the best thing in the game content-wise. Modern quests are mostly really well done. Grinding through the poo poo quest backlog to meet prereqs is Not Fun though.

My main problem is that I'm already juggling two MMOs (GW2 and Marvel Heroes) along with a final year project so I want to but I know that I won't have the time to make the money worthwhile :( Also I'm still not geared enough to earn bonds at a reasonable rate.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

along with a final year project

Don't.
This won't end well and you know it. Come back when you're done with that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spergminer posted:

Don't.
This won't end well and you know it. Come back when you're done with that.

Don't worry, most I'll do is sigh wistfully at the website.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
The card game got me to start playing Runescape again, too. This game is worse than the Mafia.

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 28, 2016

allta
Mar 28, 2011

quote:

I have some very exciting news to share with you this month, starting with a fantastic set of updates all about vampyres which culminates in the finale to the epic Myreque storyline – River of Blood.
For those who need a quick reminder, the Myreque plot started back in 2005 and is the brutal tale of a rag tag bunch of refugees, fighting a desperate battle against the darkness of Morytania. This 7-part chain of harsh horrors has taken us straight into the heart of the Vampyric homeland, and now its grim conclusion awaits those brave enough to stick their neck out amongst those who wish to feast from it.

Morytanian Madness (RuneScape members only)
If you’ve not quite got yourself ready for the Morytanian madness that awaits, we’ve got a month full of vampire-themed content to get the blood pumping, the first of which were calling, In Memory of the Myreque. In it, you’ll be able to build a monument in honour of those fallen friends you’ve lost in the quest series, creating statues for Construction XP which act like a super charged prayer altar, giving bonus prayer points to those that use it.
Players who complete these statues in April will receive even more rewards too, so stake your claim as soon as inhumanly possible!

You’ll also be able search the lands for the Lost Toys – a collection of 13 strange playthings which, when complete, can unlock a new cosmetic reward and earn you some precious columbarium keys. It’s a bit of fun to lift the dark and broody mood that vampyres tend to bring!
Finally, you’ll be able to explore the new ghoulish crypt we’ll be adding, complete with a new, high-level “ravenous ghoul”, which drops a very useful item, linked to the quest finale.
We’ve also graphically reworked Paterdomus – the temple to the far east of Varrock, giving you some great vistas to enjoy the Morytanian swamps. It’s also the focal point for the quest - and what a quest it is…

River of Blood (RuneScape members only)
In River of Blood, the battle-lines are drawn at the River Salve, the armies of Misthalin await a battle the likes of which has not been seen since the times of the first god wars. Leading the vampyre army is Vanescula, the Mistress of Darkmeyer - wielder of a brutal weapon that could end all freedom in Varrock.
It’s a desperate time, with Gielinor on the brink of disaster. Strengthen the magic of the Salve and kit out the Varrock army to face this threat. Only then will your forces be strong enough to defeat this legion of undead and bring an end to this terrifying tale.
We’ve taken the spirit of all the quests before it to give this 5th age saga the ending it deserves, taking you on a journey across Morytania to explore all its hidden secrets and loose ends, including the art of Haemalchemy.
Rewards are suitably amazing, but I won’t spoil that surprise now.

In other news
Elsewhere in RuneScape we’ve got some time-limited events with strange rifts opening to the shadow realm, earning chunky Runecrafting and Summoning XP and unlocking 2 new sets of wings. We’ve got metallic dragon pendants to help you out when slaying these scaly fiends, a vampyre hunter kit that helps you out big time in Morytania, and even some new elegant navigator and kimono outfits on Solomon’s Store.
And finally we’ve saved the best news till last!

New RuneScape Game Client - NXT | Released 18th April! (Free-to-play and RuneScape members)
This month we are proud to bring you – NXT, the latest and greatest RuneScape game client, bringing better game performance than ever before, showing off the RuneScape world in all its glory.
You’ll be able to see even greater distances, enjoy dynamic shadows and beautiful lighting effects, making the world an even better place to spend time in. On the 18th of April the new game client will be available for everyone to download, with full details on how to get it installed. It really is a huge leap forward for your game world, making it look and feel truly beautiful.
To celebrate this fantastic advancement in RuneScape technology you can take part in “Benedict’s World Tour” – a globe-trotting mini-adventure that’s custom-built to take you to Gielinor’s most wondrous sights. There will be plenty of XP lamps to collect, so get stuck in!
You must be using the NXT client to be able to play “Benedict’s World Tour” – so stay tuned for its release on the 18th.
Thanks to everyone who has helped out by sending us bug reports and giving us feedback, we really couldn’t have done it without you.
Have fun!
Wooters Out

Am I the only one who think this month looks really lovely update wise? Like there's a big quest sure, but aside from that there's only the crap leading up to it which sounds like an hour of filler content at best and then the only other update this month is NXT which has been around for a lot of players for months? Don't get me wrong that's going to be pretty cool but come on jagex put out some real updates.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
NXT's only been around for a few weekends for most players, and it really is a big deal to finally be out. Also I think it's pretty big to finally finish the vampire quest line.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

quote:

NXT which has been around for a lot of players for months?

Like 6 days total over several months in varying states of completion for a small subset of players.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I was able to use NXT for like two days and going back to the java client was painful af. 18th here we come.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'll probably be back in June to scratch my questing itch and to see how NXT is. Hopefully the game hasn't collapsed into further debauchery by then.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
I did it, I got 99 in a thing!

And it only took me 15 years to do it :smugdog:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0QqDdoHpjw

wub wub wub

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
We really need people to finish off logs, cloth and rations so that plots don't get dilapidated in the citadel.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Logs and rations are capped, cloth is having some strange display issues so someone going on and checking it would be a good idea.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Cit resources look good, thanks everyone. Someone had a good time making a shitton of charcoal :eyepop:

Also, is it worth it to start a new thread when NXT is released? It's a pretty big improvement, I know I hate playing the java client now having used NXT.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/JagexKelpie/status/718096098229936129 good riddance

NXT thread sounds good, it just needs a good and informative OP.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

But what will Ratcatchers unlock now???

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, my brother and I used to play this a decade ago and now he's supposed to be moving back to town in a few months. I thought maybe I'd hop in and make a push to get some 99s to surprise him and maybe we could play together again in our free time. I've got a few months, but I really hardly recognize the new game at all. What's a good place to start? Is there a "Welcome back, here's how to play now" primer?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Toshimo posted:

So, my brother and I used to play this a decade ago and now he's supposed to be moving back to town in a few months. I thought maybe I'd hop in and make a push to get some 99s to surprise him and maybe we could play together again in our free time. I've got a few months, but I really hardly recognize the new game at all. What's a good place to start? Is there a "Welcome back, here's how to play now" primer?

Honestly, as different as things look, it's still mostly the same game. What kind of skills do you have? It might be best to just focus on one or two things and acquaint yourself with the changes to that before moving on to something else. There should be a bunch of low-level and tutorial quests that you can do to get used to things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Toshimo posted:

If you haven't played in a while, go to Burthorpe/Taverly and play the new tutorial thing to get a hang of things that have changed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Honestly, as different as things look, it's still mostly the same game. What kind of skills do you have? It might be best to just focus on one or two things and acquaint yourself with the changes to that before moving on to something else. There should be a bunch of low-level and tutorial quests that you can do to get used to things.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

So you were around when Dungeoneering came out, at least. You probably missed the Evolution of Combat (November 2012), which massively changed the combat system and interface. There should be a guy near Lumbridge that has a tutorial about how it works. Not to mention the Burthope/Taverly tutors, as fishmech said. I guess you'd want to work on Cooking first? That's usually pretty easy. Nothing big has been added to Cooking in a while, except maybe Urns. Just grab some fish and start cooking.

Be sure to join the clan in game and feel free to pester people with questions. We can probably hook you up with stuff, too.

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012
I've got the MMO itch again, but my old character apparently was wiped out at some stage leaving me essentially with 1s across the board. Is it even worth getting back into the game in this case, and what ways are there to accelerate 'getting off the ground' at any appreciable rate?

Neodymium fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 12, 2016

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Re: Is it even worth getting back in?

You can go ground level (essentially all 1s) to endgame (over 2500 total, 1b+ bank, best gear in the game) in about 9 months of daily play if you're somewhat efficient and learn quickly.

Re: Accelerate "getting off the ground"

Knowledge is critical to spending your time well & efficiently in RS, so the best thing you can do to help yourself is to learn about the game. Asking in clan chat, reading the wiki, reddit and watching videos are all really helpful (the wiki being the biggest of those). Besides that a bit of starting capital (you only need like 500k or even less) and going after the basic daily moneymakers from the start (I think there's a guide in one of the links in the OP) help a lot.

Oh also, and this is a big one, if you intend to play as a member you should start by buying at least 2 weeks of membership (the shortest possible) with money. You can pay for it with ingame gold later, but it slows you down ridiculously if you grind out your first 10m (equals 2 weeks of membership) in free to play.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Who do we talk to for cap pay?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Another goon (Sven, I think) and I (Taran in-game) are trying to get a couple goons together to do The Great Orb Project so we can get the Hard Mortanyia Tasks done. Come help us out!

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I don't know why people randomly join our clan guest channel but I love it everytime they do.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

NXT looks really nice guys. Its finally happening.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Just wanted to say if anyone wants to create a new thread with the NXT release, feel free to use any/all my material. I don't even mind creating it myself, I'll just need some contributions from goons on what's additionally relevant in the game since last year. Before/after screenshots of Java client/NXT like the one above would be nice for example.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Themata posted:

Just wanted to say if anyone wants to create a new thread with the NXT release, feel free to use any/all my material. I don't even mind creating it myself, I'll just need some contributions from goons on what's additionally relevant in the game since last year. Before/after screenshots of Java client/NXT like the one above would be nice for example.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Runescape NXT : Some anagogic jorts fall to the floor.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Runescape NXT :

Maybe we should wait til the end of May, where they usually announce their Summer Special and big summer updates?

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
http://services.runescape.com/m=adventurers-log/character?searchName=DivineScythe

rate my runescape character e-d8 to would smang

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Fish mask and backstab cape, would ed8 for cash and then leave you when I'm done being a golddigger

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Spergminer posted:

Fish mask and backstab cape, would ed8 for cash and then leave you when I'm done being a golddigger

a real goon right there would date for those scraps man backstab cape only 15m and mask only 4m lol btw have you guys noticed how much lower rares prices jumped the past 2 or 3 months span bought a red h'ween mask for 196m not too long and quit now supposedly its over 300m

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is the one old rear end mmo I never messed with, and the fact it's still a thing is neat. How is it to play as a casual side game without planning on paying?

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is the one old rear end mmo I never messed with, and the fact it's still a thing is neat. How is it to play as a casual side game without planning on paying?

As long as you put in a little time each day doing some daily tasks you can pay for the premium content using in-game currency. Two weeks at a time.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I miss you guys and am general in goonscape for some reason

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Subliminal Ninja posted:

As long as you put in a little time each day doing some daily tasks you can pay for the premium content using in-game currency. Two weeks at a time.

Sounds good to me, I'll download it and give it a go then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

The vampire hunter outfit is pretty dapper, floppy hat supremacy.