Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Like what someone said earlier, maybe this will be a thing in Europe because they don't use trains for shipping cargo, but this is incredibly inefficient in the US.

About 20% of european union shipping is done by rail, opposed to about 40% for the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

About 20% of european union shipping is done by rail, opposed to about 40% for the US.

Because and our cities are further apart and we can doublestack more lines. Breakeven point for going intermodal rail-truck as opposed to just truck is usually between 250-500 miles with the variation depending on way to many things to get into here.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Konstantin posted:

Not really, the manufacturers will probably set up a trade group and buy or partner with a large insurance company, passing the costs onto the end user.

Passing the costs on here would essentially entail a subscription service for your car that, if you didn't pay, would brick your vehicle. America's gotten used to a lot of poo poo like that over the past decade with the smartphone market, but I dont believe for a second we're closer than ten years from the world where the average American is OK with their Toyota not starting because they didn't pay for their self driving service, or the world where Chrysler went out of business and your Cherokee bricked itself.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Paradoxish posted:

This is actually a somewhat solved problem. Volvo, for example, has already just said that they'll take responsibility directly for accidents involving any sort of autonomous mode in their cars. If self-driving cars ever become commonplace, it's going to be because manufacturers are confident enough in their systems to just accept full liability and bypass the need for complex legislation.

This is actually much more pragmatically useful than I expected from the auto industry. More power to Volvo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

blowfish posted:

This is actually much more pragmatically useful than I expected from the auto industry. More power to Volvo.

I wonder if it's because they can afford expensively ruthless corporate lawguys that will hem haw and stall any possible case to hell and back.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

FilthyImp posted:

I wonder if it's because they can afford expensively ruthless corporate lawguys that will hem haw and stall any possible case to hell and back.

Can they do that in Kommunist Skandinavia as well as in America?

Regardless, if it actually ended up reducing traffic injuries/deaths it would still be good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bushiz posted:

the average American is OK with their Toyota not starting because they didn't pay for their self driving service

Cars will have manual mode for a long time, if only because of the input problem: it's hard to tell a car to do a lot of things people do with their cars, especially on private property. Plus for fallback situations where some jackass spray paints over the camera.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Subjunctive posted:

When you say "self-driving car" do you mean level 4 autonomy? I'm an autonomous vehicle booster for sure, but that seems pretty aggressive.

The plan is for level 3 autonomy to be available. They are plowing ahead with this regardless of the laws because all of their competitors are racing towards this. The big 3 see it as a core threat to their business if they fall behind in this.

Liquid Communism posted:

poo poo, I'd take that bet.

If they solved the case handling in the next ten minutes it'd take at least 5 years to clear the legal hurdles that will come with the question of who is actually responsible for the car's behavior once the first one kills someone.

If big automakers are involved, any laws needed will be written and passed pretty quickly. Even though they weren't what they once were, the automakers still have a lot of pull in the US.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

on the left posted:

The plan is for level 3 autonomy to be available.

Hmm. I've read otherwise!

article posted:

Jim McBride, autonomous vehicles expert at Ford, said, "the biggest demarcation is between Levels 3 and 4." He's focused on getting Ford straight to Level 4, since Level 3, which involves transferring control from car to human, can often pose difficulties. "We're not going to ask the driver to instantaneously intervene—that's not a fair proposition."

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

This is actually a somewhat solved problem. Volvo, for example, has already just said that they'll take responsibility directly for accidents involving any sort of autonomous mode in their cars. If self-driving cars ever become commonplace, it's going to be because manufacturers are confident enough in their systems to just accept full liability and bypass the need for complex legislation.

That is probably okay in lots of countries and will never be accepted by US corporate counsel, who would be looking at corporate bankruptcy as soon as the first bug in the firmware kills someone.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
It makes way more sense to me to think that eventually self driving cars will be universally mandatory because then the cars can talk to each other and prevent accidents without the interference of inferior hyoo mon operators. It's the mixed environment of human and robot operators that is problematic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You're going to have mixed human/robot traffic unless/until pedestrians and cyclists are banned.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

neonnoodle posted:

It makes way more sense to me to think that eventually self driving cars will be universally mandatory because then the cars can talk to each other and prevent accidents without the interference of inferior hyoo mon operators. It's the mixed environment of human and robot operators that is problematic.

Unless you have a system where self driving technology is introduced into cars but is not activated until a later time, you're going to have a period of time where self driving cars are surrounded by manual cars.

Like, the average age of cars on the road right now is over 11 years. It's going to take a concentrated effort to introduce any technology into the national fleet, never mind something quite as large as that.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Paradoxish posted:

It's not though because while maybe Volvo thinks they have the margins to support the liability the lower end of the market currently does not and its going to take a long time to sort out how this liability works and how much it costs.

But it's safe to say that automakers arn't ready to take on the full cost of ensuring every vehicle on the road every year.

A lot of people are not appreciating how corporations get treated differently when it comes to liability and safety. Society tolerates grandma getting into accidents. It's different when Toyota is driving. Toyota lost billions when they had to recall and settle for glitches in their throttle software (and it was never actually determined what the problem was) which caused just a handful of accidents.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

computer parts posted:

Like, the average age of cars on the road right now is over 11 years. It's going to take a concentrated effort to introduce any technology into the national fleet, never mind something quite as large as that.
Lol if you think politicians are going to hold back on mandating self-driving cars because poor people can't afford it. Once the affluent largely have self-driving cars, there'll be a huge push to get rid of manually driven ones. They may dole out some subsidies for poor people upgrading, though.

asdf32 posted:

But it's safe to say that automakers arn't ready to take on the full cost of ensuring every vehicle on the road every year.
They'll just charge a monthly fee like insurance. In fact, it'll probably subsume traditional insurance; calculations around the individual won't be as important once the individual isn't the one doing the driving anymore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

Lol if you think politicians are going to hold back on mandating self-driving cars because poor people can't afford it. Once the affluent largely have self-driving cars, there'll be a huge push to get rid of manually driven ones. They may dole out some subsidies for poor people upgrading, though.

Hasn't happened with backup cameras.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

neonnoodle posted:

beep boop why is everything not instantly computerized like in superman 3

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Adar posted:

That is probably okay in lots of countries and will never be accepted by US corporate counsel, who would be looking at corporate bankruptcy as soon as the first bug in the firmware kills someone.

Yeah, just like how every time a manufacturing defect like unsecured floor mats or a loose ignition switch results in death, the big car manufacturers declare bankruptcy and start over.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

Backup cameras will be mandatory in the US for all new cars sold as of 2018.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Daily Mail is in talks to buy Yahoo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So do we have class 2 self driving cenobites yet or is Leviathan slacking off

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

a person who is chatting with my current company about coming to us from Yahoo came up in a meeting last week. It was all I could do not to say "oh god why are they still at Yahoo? They must be either terrible or gullible"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Emacs Headroom posted:

a person who is chatting with my current company about coming to us from Yahoo came up in a meeting last week. It was all I could do not to say "oh god why are they still at Yahoo? They must be either terrible or gullible"

yahoo was throwing around cash for a while, in a very serious way. but I remember thinking the same thing about hires from Apple in 1999, and there were good people to extract the whole time.

E: by "very serious" I mean 2x base of FB, with a higher bonus percentage and a light-bending amount of stock. yahoo! won't have change-of-control instavest, but still, things could be good for them if GOOG buys for irony or scrap.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 11, 2016

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can't wait to see Tumblr's reaction to that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Subjunctive posted:

Backup cameras will be mandatory in the US for all new cars sold as of 2018.

But no one's saying "non-backup cars are now illegal to drive" even though most rich people's cars have had them for years.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yeah there are also motorcycles, which making automated would kinda defeat the whole point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

But no one's saying "non-backup cars are now illegal to drive" even though most rich people's cars have had them for years.

All mandatory features, including seatbelts to this very day, are grandfathered.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Subjunctive posted:

All mandatory features, including seatbelts to this very day, are grandfathered.

So you agree this post is wrong then:

Cicero posted:

Lol if you think politicians are going to hold back on mandating self-driving cars because poor people can't afford it. Once the affluent largely have self-driving cars, there'll be a huge push to get rid of manually driven ones.

If the cost was really so substantial that most people can't afford it, it wouldn't be mandated.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

So you agree this post is wrong then:

If the cost was really so substantial that most people can't afford it, it wouldn't be mandated.

I think that making them mandatory for new cars is intended to make them universal. I don't know what the cost is, but I expect that by the time such legislation is passed it'll be <$250. I don't know what the threshold is for too-expensive-to-legislate. What's the cheapest ACA plan?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

computer parts posted:

Well, they have been mandated for new cars starting in a couple years, but the safety benefit of backup cameras is much, much less than that of going from manually-driven to self-driving cars.

edit: traditionally, car safety features have been mainly about protecting people inside the car. That's how they get sold. Self-driving cars do help protect the people inside the car too, but they will also have a massive benefit for protecting everyone else. I think that's what will incentivize Congress -- or rather, incentivize (rich) people to push Congress -- to pass a law sunsetting manually driven cars.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 11, 2016

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Cicero posted:

Well, they have been mandated for new cars starting in a couple years, but the safety benefit of backup cameras is much, much less than that of going from manually-driven to self-driving cars.

edit: traditionally, car safety features have been mainly about protecting people inside the car. That's how they get sold. Self-driving cars do help protect the people inside the car too, but they will also have a massive benefit for protecting everyone else. I think that's what will incentivize Congress -- or rather, incentivize (rich) people to push Congress -- to pass a law sunsetting manually driven cars.

If they mandated completely self-driving cars tomorrow, it would still take around fifteen years of record-setting sales to replace the current fleet. Manual cars are going to be around for a few decades unless someone can get a whole lot of money dedicated to ramping up new car manufacturing, so automatic cars are going to need to deal with manually driven ones for quite some time.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Truck convoys. 1 driver in the front truck and ten trucks without drivers that follow it. This Wednesday a Dutch government challenge to demonstrate a similar tech was succesfully completed. They had trucks from several brands follow each other very closely and brake/accelerate synchronized.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/07/convoy-self-driving-trucks-completes-first-european-cross-border-trip

So what happens when some of the trucks are left behind in traffic lights? Or will they just ignore them

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lyesh posted:

If they mandated completely self-driving cars tomorrow, it would still take around fifteen years of record-setting sales to replace the current fleet. Manual cars are going to be around for a few decades unless someone can get a whole lot of money dedicated to ramping up new car manufacturing, so automatic cars are going to need to deal with manually driven ones for quite some time.
Yeah, I'm suggesting that Congress might just ban them anyway, even with many still on the road. You would need some level of critical mass of existing self-driving cars before they would so, of course. A couple decades from now sounds about right.

Or maybe a somewhat more palatable solution would be increasingly heavy manually-driven car surcharges, with one-time subsidies for (poor) people upgrading from manually-driven cars to self-driving ones.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Double Bill posted:

So what happens when some of the trucks are left behind in traffic lights? Or will they just ignore them

They count as a convoy probably so if it's green for the first one it's green for all of them

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Or maybe a somewhat more palatable solution would be increasingly heavy manually-driven car surcharges, with one-time subsidies for (poor) people upgrading from manually-driven cars to self-driving ones.

Like I said a few pages back, once the tech is to the point where there is statistically significant data proving automation is safer than manual (including dealing with grandfathered manual cars), the insurance companies will be all over that poo poo. Increased fees if you don't have automation and increased deductibles if you have an accident in "manual" mode. There will be significant financial incentive to go automated.

Also, cultural incentives. How do you think the media is going to protray a drunk driver who kills someone while driving drunk in "manual" mode instead of using "auto" mode? How is a jury going to react to it? How many "my children would still be alive if that poor wasn't driving an outdated vehicle" stories do you think a senator with a lot of automotive companies in his state needs to start passing laws to force people to buy automated?

Edit: To be clear, I don't think the tech is there yet and I don't think it will be a quick change. But once the tech is there it will be inevitable that it's mandated to at least have the option in every non-grandfathered car and there will be heavy societal pressures to use automated mode as much as possible.

mkultra419 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 11, 2016

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

mkultra419 posted:

Also, cultural incentives. How do you think the media is going to protray a drunk driver who kills someone while driving drunk in "manual" mode instead of using "auto" mode?

What about a perceived uptick in drunk driving because people think it's safe to stumble into their cars and flick on the auto switch? A drunk driving accident in "auto" mode might actually be a bigger story ("Will the scary consequences of this new technology ruin everything? Tune in tonight to find out.")

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Cicero posted:

You are off your rocker if you think we are anywhere near passing a law sunsetting manually driven cars. Totally off your rocker. My uncle drives around in a car that is grandfathered into no seat belts and we have not even federally mandated proper motorcycle helmets, and those are simple things that clearly save lives.

And thinking that "rich" people (who apparently spend a lot of time driving around in their cars) are going to push for all the plebs to get self driving cars so they will be safer is just some odd, twisted thinking. Mostly because I assume the people who are so rich they have that kind of pull take their helicopter straight to their private jet.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

cheese posted:

And thinking that "rich" people (who apparently spend a lot of time driving around in their cars) are going to push for all the plebs to get self driving cars so they will be safer is just some odd, twisted thinking. Mostly because I assume the people who are so rich they have that kind of pull take their helicopter straight to their private jet.

If there's any kind of push to sunset manually driven cars within the next few decades (and I really doubt there will be), it's almost definitely going to come from manufacturers touting the safety benefits of more connected roadways and ultimately looking to reduce their own exposure to liability. I do think we'll start seeing requirements for new cars to include progressively more sophisticated level 2/3 autonomous systems, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paradoxish posted:

connected roadways

are not going to happen at even city-wide scale in our lifetimes. Investment in road infrastructure is going down, not up, and it'll be a long time before "retrofit our roads for fancy robot yuppie cars" is anything but political guillotine bait. At best we'll see some more machine-readable data on signage and construction barriers.

Might see it in parking garages and such though, because they could increase density if they get cars to double-park/unpark themselves, and summoning/parking in airports or similar could be good. Lots of work before that, but it's plausible.

Car-to-car is a whole other can of worms.

E: I'm thinking in the US/Canada context here, though I suspect Europe is the same. Who knows what China will do, they seem to live on a different part of the human life risk/reward curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Emacs Headroom posted:

What about a perceived uptick in drunk driving because people think it's safe to stumble into their cars and flick on the auto switch? A drunk driving accident in "auto" mode might actually be a bigger story ("Will the scary consequences of this new technology ruin everything? Tune in tonight to find out.")

Maybe it's time to go back to only punishing drunk drivers if they cause an accident