Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Yep. Gotta be the tough guy who brings down the entire office.

It's the American way :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Weremacht posted:

you know i'm gonna call bullshit on this. i have hundreds of hours in dark souls 2, the vast majority of which were pvp, and i could count the number of hackers on both hands. ten instances, in like, three hundred hours. truly a vile cesspit of cheaters.

either i'm incredibly lucky (and was in dark souls 1 as well) or this line of thinking doesn't bear out at all

I don't think i've encountered a hacker playing DS 1/2/SotFS on PC. Not a huge amount of pvp outside of bell bro stuff but I've been invaded a fair amount and never knowingly encountered a hacker

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Has anyone tested if the game recognizes more than 3 mouse buttons this time or do I still need to make dumb macros for this?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Weremacht posted:

you know i'm gonna call bullshit on this. i have hundreds of hours in dark souls 2, the vast majority of which were pvp, and i could count the number of hackers on both hands. ten instances, in like, three hundred hours. truly a vile cesspit of cheaters.

either i'm incredibly lucky (and was in dark souls 1 as well) or this line of thinking doesn't bear out at all

Same. I logged close to 100 hours in DS2 PvP and encountered...two hackers?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Pyromancy is good. Actually all the magic is good, it just requires a ton of investment and 30 Intelligence/30 Faith is just a little more accessible than 60 in either Intelligence or Faith.

That's good to know too! I was reading gripes about it, even after the fix. Maybe I'll go Herald and work up.

God this is the longest workday.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Genocyber posted:

Not really. You only need 60 FPS for fast-paced twitchy games. It's always nice to have but hardly necessary here.

Yeah but then how are people playing on PC going to feel superior?

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
We still get 60 fps which is superior in every way. We are golden gods.

Fuzz posted:

Look at all these people posting about PvP while also taking about buying the PC version, like it won't be full of hackers and cheaters within the first 48 hours*.

* - Console versions will turn into the same thing, mind you, it just might take an extra few days.

What? Out of like 600 hours between DS1 and DS2, I've encountered maybe like 5-10 cheaters... and most (~80%) of that was PvP.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

NeurosisHead posted:

Is anyone going to be using a Steam Link to stream this to a TV? Would you mind posting about it if you do, I'm on the fence about buying one.

I've got a Steam Link. Haven't played this game yet (obviously) but generally speaking it's a solid device. I've got both my Link and gaming PC wired for the fastest connection and there's a tiny delay of around 1ms.

If you spend a lot of time playing a game on the PC then play it on the Link the input delay will trip you up occasionally on things like parry timing. Otherwise it's just something you barely notice at first then absorb.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

That's good to know too! I was reading gripes about it, even after the fix. Maybe I'll go Herald and work up.

God this is the longest workday.

So, the thing about Faith is that the Lightning Spear-type miracles don't work the way everyone thought they did. If you use them at range, like you would in the past two Souls games, they're insultingly weak for their FP cost. Just so bad. But their damage scales based on your proximity to the target, and if you're point-blank, they're very strong. They also have hyperarmor on their casting animation (and you can get more with the talisman weapon art) and cast much more quickly than DS1/2.

Basically, miracles are now fully melee-magic. Lightning Spears have range and you can use them for pulling or punishing Estus chugging in PvP, but the real damage comes in when you slam a Sunlight Spear directly into someone's face. People didn't get that at first (and also didn't know that magic soft-caps at 60 instead of 40 this time), which is why there was a lot of "magic is broken and scaling does nothing" a couple of weeks ago. (Also, much like DS1, catalysts/talismans have varying ratios of base magic adjust to scaling that can mean that the best talisman for you to use at 35 Faith probably isn't the same as the best one for you to use at 55 Faith.)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

NeurosisHead posted:

Is anyone going to be using a Steam Link to stream this to a TV? Would you mind posting about it if you do, I'm on the fence about buying one.
You can try it out yourself if you have a laptop with HDMI out laying around.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Dark Souls 1 is the only one I've played on PC prior to this one so this 60 FPS thing is gonna feel weird at first

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Dawn of the final day.

Today's gonna be a rough workday, but its hard to believe its finally here :dance:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Harrow posted:

Pyromancy is good. Actually all the magic is good, it just requires a ton of investment and 30 Intelligence/30 Faith is just a little more accessible than 60 in either Intelligence or Faith.

Chaos-infused weapons are extremely strong (apparently Chaos Estoc is one of the PvP god-weapons right now) so going full pyro is a good choice. Just keep a Deep or Dark weapon around for whenever you run into something that resists fire.

Definitely making me lean Pyro now. I didn't know about the Chaos Estoc (which sounds great actually). I figured with the Raw Astora's, I'd be able to infuse it with whatever I needed at the time through a mix of Sorc/Pyro/Faith buffs or whatever the resin equivalent is. Hearing the Chaos Estoc is PvP viable (at least right now) is great too since apparently the Raw Astora's really isn't.

Harrow posted:

Basically, miracles are now fully melee-magic. Lightning Spears have range and you can use them for pulling or punishing Estus chugging in PvP, but the real damage comes in when you slam a Sunlight Spear directly into someone's face. People didn't get that at first (and also didn't know that magic soft-caps at 60 instead of 40 this time), which is why there was a lot of "magic is broken and scaling does nothing" a couple of weeks ago. (Also, much like DS1, catalysts/talismans have varying ratios of base magic adjust to scaling that can mean that the best talisman for you to use at 35 Faith probably isn't the same as the best one for you to use at 55 Faith.)

This actually makes more sense to me. Clerics aren't Sorcerors. They're in your face zealots, so it would make more sense that their miracles are designed to be more "slamming a lightning spear down your throat" than plinking at range. I've never done a full faith build in any Souls game, but I can see going Faith on a later playthrough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

You can try it out yourself if you have a laptop with HDMI out laying around.

Does the Steam Link not have any special features that regular in-home streaming doesn't, then?

Fhqwhgads posted:

Definitely making me lean Pyro now. I didn't know about the Chaos Estoc (which sounds great actually). I figured with the Raw Astora's, I'd be able to infuse it with whatever I needed at the time through a mix of Sorc/Pyro/Faith buffs or whatever the resin equivalent is. Hearing the Chaos Estoc is PvP viable (at least right now) is great too since apparently the Raw Astora's really isn't.

Basically anything with a Chaos infusion is real strong. The Estoc is just a good candidate because it has an incredible move set and great range, with very low requirements (a normal Estoc is the starting weapon for the Assassin class). There's also (weapon spoiler) a really cool Int/Faith-scaling whip with a fiery weapon art that has ridiculous range and is very, very cool if you like that kind of weapon.

I'd say that, this time around, weapon buffs are probably better for you if you're not a "pure" caster, something like having enough Int/Faith for the buff you want but then having enough physical stats to scale your weapon, too. Like, you could do a 40 Dex/50 Faith build (at NG+ or PvP meta levels) and use Sunlight Blade with a fast Dex weapon for crazy good damage, or 40 Dex and 30/30 Int/Faith and do the same with Carthus Flame Arc (Flame Weapon), though I don't know if it's as strong as the top-tier miracle weapon buffs. You'd be giving up a lot of Vigor and Endurance on both of those builds, though, assuming you want to stay within a specific SL range.

My first build is going to be Dex/Faith--there are some very cool Faith-scaling weapons that look like they're right up my alley--but pure pyro is second on the list for sure.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 11, 2016

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Harrow posted:

So, the thing about Faith is that the Lightning Spear-type miracles don't work the way everyone thought they did. If you use them at range, like you would in the past two Souls games, they're insultingly weak for their FP cost. Just so bad. But their damage scales based on your proximity to the target, and if you're point-blank, they're very strong. They also have hyperarmor on their casting animation (and you can get more with the talisman weapon art) and cast much more quickly than DS1/2, miracles are now fully melee-magic. Lightning Spears have range and you can use them for pulling or punishing Estus chugging in PvP, but the real damage comes in when you slam a Sunlight Spear directly into someone's face. People didn't get that at first (and also didn't know that magic soft-caps at 60 instead of 40 this time), which is why there was a lot of "magic is broken and scaling does nothing" a couple of weeks ago. (Also, much like DS1, catalysts/talismans have varying ratios of base magic adjust to scaling that can mean that the best talisman for you to use at 35 Faith probably isn't the same as the best one for you to use at 55 Faith.)

But that doesn't look as cool as firing it from range.

Like imagine if the DS1 opening scene had Gwyn standing with his face right in the dragon's buttcrack and you only saw the lightning spear for the blink of an eye before it hit, that would've been lame as hell

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Harrow posted:

Does the Steam Link not have any special features that regular in-home streaming doesn't, then?
Not as far as I'm aware.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so the partizan move set looks retarded good. Would a dex/pyro build work? shield and spear and bust out some fire spells on people. Probably dex. int/faith to 15 just to unlock the pyro spells, and vit/end/whatever to taste. does this make sense? never really made a build for a dark souls game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

But that doesn't look as cool as firing it from range.

Like imagine if the DS1 opening scene had Gwyn standing with his face right in the dragon's buttcrack and you only saw the lightning spear for the blink of an eye before it hit, that would've been lame as hell

Interestingly, one of the lightning miracles even makes reference to the throwing lightning spears in the DS1 opening cinematic, probably to head off the "uh but that's not how lightning spears worked for Gwyn, using them in melee goes against the lore" objection that I've already seen all over the place. Quote from an item description in the spoiler:

"This tale describes the lost practices of ancient dragonslayers, who found that in order to pierce dragonscale, lightning should not be hurled as a bolt, but rather be thrust as a stake directly into the dragon's hide, to be truly effective."

So apparently the knights in that cinematic were doing it wrong, according to this here retcon :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Basically anything with a Chaos infusion is real strong. The Estoc is just a good candidate because it has an incredible move set and great range, with very low requirements (a normal Estoc is the starting weapon for the Assassin class). There's also (weapon spoiler) a really cool Int/Faith-scaling whip with a fiery weapon art that has ridiculous range and is very, very cool if you like that kind of weapon.

I'd say that, this time around, weapon buffs are probably better for you if you're not a "pure" caster, something like having enough Int/Faith for the buff you want but then having enough physical stats to scale your weapon, too. Like, you could do a 40 Dex/50 Faith build (at NG+ or PvP meta levels) and use Sunlight Blade with a fast Dex weapon for crazy good damage, or 40 Dex and 30/30 Int/Faith and do the same with Carthus Flame Arc (Flame Weapon), though I don't know if it's as strong as the top-tier miracle weapon buffs. You'd be giving up a lot of Vigor and Endurance on both of those builds, though, assuming you want to stay within a specific SL range.

My first build is going to be Dex/Faith--there are some very cool Faith-scaling weapons that look like they're right up my alley--but pure pyro is second on the list for sure.

Yeah my plan is to do a Dex/Int Sharp Estoc instead and then buff that with just enough int/fth to cast magic weapon or fire weapon. But Chaos Estoc sounds pretty cool too.. may have to respec and try it both ways.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
less than 7 hours bois.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ulvirich posted:

Reading that reddit link earlier, there's a password for doing co-op with a specific someone?

Yes and goon pw is LASERTAG but make appointments here don't just set it and try to play the whole game that way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

queeb posted:

so the partizan move set looks retarded good. Would a dex/pyro build work? shield and spear and bust out some fire spells on people. Probably dex. int/faith to 15 just to unlock the pyro spells, and vit/end/whatever to taste. does this make sense? never really made a build for a dark souls game.

I'm not super sure how strong pyromancy would be at 15/15, and you'd be missing the requirements for a few really good pyromancies. I think it's more important that you use the three pyromancy-enhancing rings than having the best possible scaling stats, so your low-requirement pyromancies should be able to hit pretty hard, but you're still missing out on things like this game's version of Forbidden Sun.

It's worth noting that you can infuse the Partizan, so you could go pure pyromancer (30/30 is the soft-cap) and just meet the minimum requirements for the Partizan and infuse it with Chaos so it scales with your pyro stats. If you'd prefer to buff, you could do like 25/25 and 30+ Dex, then buff it with fire and stab away.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What does chaos add to a weapon and what does it scale with in DS3? I'm probably going pyro in t minus SEVEN HOURS.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Praise Australian time zones and me not having to work tomorrow. This is so loving good so far.

Edit:That first run feel where you're paranoid of every loving corner cause you don't know where the ambushes are and cautious of every loving enemy cause you don't know poo poo about movesets or what enemies are more dangerous than they look.

I missed this.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm going to go DEX and luck because I heard it's broken as gently caress

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

What does chaos add to a weapon and what does it scale with in DS3? I'm probably going pyro in t minus SEVEN HOURS.

Chaos lowers physical damage and adds fire damage that scales with Intelligence and Faith equally. I think it's B/B, which is pretty drat strong for scaling with two stats. I don't know how far into the game you have to go to get the necessary crystal to infuse a weapon with the Chaos path. In the early game, you can get a Fire weapon that doesn't scale at all, and that can get you through until you get Chaos. (A Fire Gem is one of the starting gift choices, so you can get a Fire weapon extremely early.)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

With my pre-order I got a "vip-code", nearest I can find is it's bandai's community registry with nothing particularly interesting, am I missing out on something noteworthy if I completely ignore it?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

GaussianCopula posted:

less than 7 hours bois.

To add insult to injury, the ps4 digital version unlocks at midnight est unlike the PC version. First you make me wait 3 weeks, now you make me wait an extra 6 hours Bamco?! :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Monday April 11th at 3:00 PM PDT (UTC -7)
Monday April 11th at 5:00 PM CDT (UTC -5)
Monday April 11th at 6:00 PM EDT (UTC -4)
Monday April 11th at 7:00 PM BRT (UTC -3)
Monday April 11th at 11:00 PM BST (UTC +1)
Tuesday April 12th at 12:00 AM CEST (UTC +2)
Tuesday April 12th at 7:00 AM JST (UTC +9)

Its gonna be out as soon as I get off work! :dance:

Although that means by the time I get home some of you will already be way ahead, oh well.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Lakbay posted:

To add insult to injury, the ps4 digital version unlocks at midnight est unlike the PC version. First you make me wait 3 weeks, now you make me wait an extra 6 hours Bamco?! :argh:

Maybe you should join the PC Master Race.

double nine posted:

With my pre-order I got a "vip-code", nearest I can find is it's bandai's community registry with nothing particularly interesting, am I missing out on something noteworthy if I completely ignore it?

Ignore it.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Are amazon physical copies shipping today or tomorrow?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Harrow posted:

Interestingly, one of the lightning miracles even makes reference to the throwing lightning spears in the DS1 opening cinematic, probably to head off the "uh but that's not how lightning spears worked for Gwyn, using them in melee goes against the lore" objection that I've already seen all over the place. Quote from an item description in the spoiler:

"This tale describes the lost practices of ancient dragonslayers, who found that in order to pierce dragonscale, lightning should not be hurled as a bolt, but rather be thrust as a stake directly into the dragon's hide, to be truly effective." :v:

Well if the animation actually looks like you're doing that, that would be cool too!

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!

ohrwurm posted:

Are amazon physical copies shipping today or tomorrow?

Got an email that My XBONE Collectors Edition shipped last night.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm not super sure how strong pyromancy would be at 15/15, and you'd be missing the requirements for a few really good pyromancies. I think it's more important that you use the three pyromancy-enhancing rings than having the best possible scaling stats, so your low-requirement pyromancies should be able to hit pretty hard, but you're still missing out on things like this game's version of Forbidden Sun.

It's worth noting that you can infuse the Partizan, so you could go pure pyromancer (30/30 is the soft-cap) and just meet the minimum requirements for the Partizan and infuse it with Chaos so it scales with your pyro stats. If you'd prefer to buff, you could do like 25/25 and 30+ Dex, then buff it with fire and stab away.
Ecch. Spreading stats that wide makes me paranoid until I know the game better. Quality build it is.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Game is fantastically atmospheric. I've spent far more time than is reasonable wandering around with my torch held up high to look at things. Knight armour is especially gorgeous.

I forget, can you undo Infusions? The Claymore is, unsurprisingly, my waifu but I'm going to make it Raw and get a massive damage boost early on while I round out my other, defensive, attributes. I'd rather that not bite me in the rear end later.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

poptart_fairy posted:

I forget, can you undo Infusions?

Yes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Raw it is then! Finding a ton of interesting weapons and gear even in the first area, so I don't want to commit to anything just yet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ecch. Spreading stats that wide makes me paranoid until I know the game better. Quality build it is.

There's a respec option.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Harrow posted:

thanks a ton for this, I guess I'm going pure pyro! how hard is it to meet the stat requirements for armor? something about a heavy armor pyro sounds great, but I'm afraid of not having enough points to dump into vit/end/whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Putting this on the next page since it got cut off.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 11, 2016