Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
By no means do I suspect that Hillary will be indicted, nor do I particularly want that to happen. Still, I have to wonder if skeezy business of some variety has transpired at some point. If this is the case, would it not be beneficial to wait until after she wins the nomination to spring an indictment? That way the Dems have nobody to fall back on? I could imagine an indictment being rather damaging to a campaign, even if she never got convicted of anything afterwards.

Am I just paranoid or is this something that could happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Solfrann posted:

This will not stop the republicans from using this as reasons not to do anything once she's in office, and to keep pushing impeachment for her entire term.

Also, I've personally seen people in the government lose their careers over less egregious misuse of classified info. Ignorance is not a defense.

Yeah I agree with some others, you're reaching here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Solfrann posted:

This will not stop the republicans from using this as reasons not to do anything once she's in office, and to keep pushing impeachment for her entire term.

Also, I've personally seen people in the government lose their careers over less egregious misuse of classified info. Ignorance is not a defense.

They were already going to spend at least 4 years just repeating Benghazi, this isn't actually going to make any difference.

Also unless things have changed since I last paid attention, she hasn't actually done anything truly egregious in comparison to her State predecessors. Like the big, big difference is she went and had a private email server at her house. All totally idiotic and self inflicted, but nowhere near a national disgrace or criminal offense.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Anchor Wanker posted:

By no means do I suspect that Hillary will be indicted, nor do I particularly want that to happen. Still, I have to wonder if skeezy business of some variety has transpired at some point. If this is the case, would it not be beneficial to wait until after she wins the nomination to spring an indictment? That way the Dems have nobody to fall back on? I could imagine an indictment being rather damaging to a campaign, even if she never got convicted of anything afterwards.

The FBI or DOJ isn't waiting for Hillary to become the Democratic nominee what logic is this

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gyges posted:

All totally idiotic and self inflicted, but nowhere near a national disgrace or criminal offense.

The saddest thing is just how boring and lame the email scandal is. God knows if there was anything actually damning in there it would be front page on every conservative news site and talked about on Fox News for hours a day.

Instead it's just "Hey, how do I use the DVR to record Homeland? K thx -Hilldawg"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Solfrann posted:

Fortunately, this entirely made up reason to justify obstructionism isn't actually any worse than whatever other entirely made up reason they'd use in its absence.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

computer parts posted:

The modern primary system dates from 1972.

I'd cite New Hampshire and 1952 as where the system started to come together, but the point remains that as we understand it the primary system outright didn't exist pre-WWII, so menino's question is kinda troublesome to answer.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Gyges posted:

They were already going to spend at least 4 years just repeating Benghazi, this isn't actually going to make any difference.

Also unless things have changed since I last paid attention, she hasn't actually done anything truly egregious in comparison to her State predecessors. Like the big, big difference is she went and had a private email server at her house. All totally idiotic and self inflicted, but nowhere near a national disgrace or criminal offense.

The difference is in the development of cyber security guidelines. These did not exist in the early 2000's in any real form.
Even now, the entire government is poorly executing cyber security and most branches are flopping and twitching on how to make it work. But the one thing that has been explicity clear in the last 10 years is "don't cross the streams".

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

I'd cite New Hampshire and 1952 as where the system started to come together, but the point remains that as we understand it the primary system outright didn't exist pre-WWII, so menino's question is kinda troublesome to answer.

I thought the whole superdelegates thing on the Dem side didn't happen til 1981 (after the utter mess that was the 1980 election).

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Gyges posted:

Someone has to be paying Kasich to stay in at this point. There's no way he can possibly win, even with his idiot plan of splitting the vote just enough but not too much to ensure a brokered convention. Even if the rioting Ted Cruz and Donald Trump delegates somehow allowed the RNC to repeal the requirement that the nominee have won 8 primary contests, why in the gently caress would the convention then turn to Kasich? At that point they could nominate anyone else, up to and including the desiccated corpse of Reagan. There aren't enough seat belts to buckle for the insane acceleration needed for Team Kasich to pull that poo poo off.

There's no telling what will happen at the convention - right now the winds are pointing towards the GOP establishment coalescing behind Cruz as the "anti-Trump" ticket but Cruz's delegate fuckery is pissing Trump off mightily and increasing the risk of Trump running as a third party candidate.

However if the GOP establishment ratfucks Cruz too and instead goes behind Kasich, maybe Trump will be so disgusted he'll just quit the election altogether.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Oracle posted:

I thought the whole superdelegates thing on the Dem side didn't happen til 1981 (after the utter mess that was the 1980 election).

Yes because party leaders were concerned about unelectable candidates taking over the party because they did away with party leadership having a role after 1968 and got McGovern and Carter.

Superdelegates are dumb but they also as of yet have not overturned the voters' choice.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Anchor Wanker posted:

You're being paranoid. In fact, you are doing exactly what the GOP is trying to do - saying "Sure, there's no proof she's done anything wrong and we've spent literally tens of millions of dollars and thousands of man-hours investigating to find nothing more incriminating than not knowing how to operate a VCR, but darn it PEOPLE ARE TALKING so she must be shady". That is quite literally their objective, and the reason behind the 24/7 cacophony that's been going on for twenty-five years.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

Tempest_56 posted:

You're being paranoid. In fact, you are doing exactly what the GOP is trying to do - saying "Sure, there's no proof she's done anything wrong and we've spent literally tens of millions of dollars and thousands of man-hours investigating to find nothing more incriminating than not knowing how to operate a VCR, but darn it PEOPLE ARE TALKING so she must be shady". That is quite literally their objective, and the reason behind the 24/7 cacophony that's been going on for twenty-five years.

Oh no, I don't suspect Hillary of wrongdoing. By skeezy business I was referring to something within the Doj or FBI. Like somebody convincing someone else to toss a BS indictment at her. I get it's pretty tin foil hat-ish but I dunno, I thought it might be worth asking about anyways.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Anchor Wanker posted:

Oh no, I don't suspect Hillary of wrongdoing. By skeezy business I was referring to something within the Doj or FBI. Like somebody convincing someone else to toss a BS indictment at her. I get it's pretty tin foil hat-ish but I dunno, I thought it might be worth asking about anyways.

Filing spurious criminal charges against a Presidential nominee sounds like an excellent way to commit career suicide and spend the rest of your life in court defending defamation lawsuits.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

The saddest thing is just how boring and lame the email scandal is. God knows if there was anything actually damning in there it would be front page on every conservative news site and talked about on Fox News for hours a day.

Instead it's just "Hey, how do I use the DVR to record Homeland? K thx -Hilldawg"

I stopped taking it seriously the instant that the contents of her spam folder became headline news. Seeing the news media freak out about "ZOMG HILLARY CLINTON WAS PERSONALLY TARGETED BY RUSSIAN HAXX0RZ!!!!111!eleven!!", when the reporters themselves were likely the first human beings to be aware of those emails even existing, was the final nail in that particular coffin.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lemming posted:

Which is glorious because Cruz winning the nomination after getting fewer votes will violently (as in literal fights at the convention) destroy the party

Why will there be fights at the convention when practically every Trump vote flips to Cruz on the second ballot thanks to moles like these in the delegates? :getin:

EDIT: Pretty sure Cruz gets the nom at this point. Trump needs more than 50%+1 because I bet he will have a number of faithless delegates (party rules be damned; you can be sure the party will gladly ignore their faithlessness because it was "for a good cause"), and that's BEFORE we get to the second ballot.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 11, 2016

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Tempest_56 posted:

Filing spurious criminal charges against a Presidential nominee sounds like an excellent way to commit career suicide and spend the rest of your life in court defending defamation lawsuits.

Or a great way to make millions of dollars through speaking fees, paid appearances on Fox News, and a GoFundMe

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
So that whole DC Madam story was a big ol' nothingburger, huh? Has the lawyer guy even said anything else lately?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

stinkles1112 posted:

So that whole DC Madam story was a big ol' nothingburger, huh? Has the lawyer guy even said anything else lately?

SCOTUS blocked the madam from releasing any info.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

stinkles1112 posted:

I think he just wanted attention. He filed an appeal with Justice Thomas. When that's inevitably denied again, he'll probably threaten to release it and never actually do it.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
I really think getting screwed at the convention is exactly what Trump wants. He can bow out of the race without it being "his choice" and make a fortune off of interviews, book deals, etc. It's definitely a better option than losing by a landslide in the general, cause then he'd be 'A Loser." And Trump is not a loser if the GOP dicks him over, he's just the victim.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ComradeCosmobot posted:

SCOTUS blocked the madam from releasing any info.

The Court isn't what stopped the madam from releasing info.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Court isn't what stopped the madam from releasing info.

True. I'm just reporting the last info I know about it. Put quotes around "blocked" and there you go

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Person Dyslexic posted:

I really think getting screwed at the convention is exactly what Trump wants. He can bow out of the race without it being "his choice" and make a fortune off of interviews, book deals, etc. It's definitely a better option than losing by a landslide in the general, cause then he'd be 'A Loser." And Trump is not a loser if the GOP dicks him over, he's just the victim.

Also, if he makes it to the convention he can and there is a possibility he will sell the nomination back to the GOP.

I mean yeah that's technically extortion... but I mean if that was brought to trial would I personally vote to convict?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So to recap, her and her merry gang of idiots intentionally put classified information on a non-governmental server that was stored in her private residence. They also sent this information to/from private Blackberries, including while they were in foreign countries (because if there's one thing that's absolutely secure, its the wireless network in a foreign country). They got the classified information out into the unclass realm by pulling up classified documents on one SIPR or JWICS terminal and then typing the information onto an unclassified terminal, intentionally leaving out any classification markings that were present on the original document in an attempt to hide the fact that it was classified; this was done in at least once instance at the direct behest of Clinton. This classified information included, among other things, information from multiple IC SAPs as well as information that was protected by HCS (i.e., stuff that had the potential to put HUMINT sources at risk.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Was wondering if there had been anything suspicious about the DC madam's death, but after a bit of research it does seem pretty conclusively to have been a suicide. Either that or somebody is real fuckin' good at their job.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Another Armyman25 post completely devoid of any real information. Bravo.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Armyman25 posted:

So to recap, her and her merry gang of idiots intentionally put classified information on a non-governmental server that was stored in her private residence. They also sent this information to/from private Blackberries, including while they were in foreign countries (because if there's one thing that's absolutely secure, its the wireless network in a foreign country). They got the classified information out into the unclass realm by pulling up classified documents on one SIPR or JWICS terminal and then typing the information onto an unclassified terminal, intentionally leaving out any classification markings that were present on the original document in an attempt to hide the fact that it was classified; this was done in at least once instance at the direct behest of Clinton. This classified information included, among other things, information from multiple IC SAPs as well as information that was protected by HCS (i.e., stuff that had the potential to put HUMINT sources at risk.

There's not enough time in the day for me to detail how wrong you are on all of this. Go back to YCS.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mdemone posted:

Was wondering if there had been anything suspicious about the DC madam's death, but after a bit of research it does seem pretty conclusively to have been a suicide. Either that or somebody is real fuckin' good at their job.

If it was staged then at least we know the CIA wasn't involved. :haw:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Oh I thought that was Armyman's summation of that dumb wordpress article.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

Stopped right there since that isn't correct.

I read the rest after I quoted your bullshit. You're making a lot of leaps and outright errors but then filling it in with technical talk from your days in a SCIF to make it sound more impressive and damning as if you actually had a clever point to make. Really it just sounds stupid.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 11, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Peven Stan posted:

What if he mobilizes the Ohio NG in response to rioting due to a ratfucking of Trump. He then uses those troops to "persuade" the GOP at gunpoint or implied gunpoint to hand the nomination to the only candidate who can beat hillary in November™

The GOP still gets destroyed by in-fighting and Clinton then gets to spend the next several months playing attack ads showing the convention chaos including the nominee and Kaisch using the military to "calm the situation" and just coincidentally get the nomination.

meristem posted:

It has transpired that Obama has apparently already seen an advance copy of the entire next season of Game of Thrones. Finally grounds for impeachment?

I hope he drops spoilers mid-conversation with the GOP leadership.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Person Dyslexic posted:

he definitely didn't want to make it this far at first. the only thing that explains why he's still in the race is ego

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

he definitely didn't want to make it this far at first. the only thing that explains why he's still in the race is ego

I'm not sure why people say this. Like, what has given anyone that impression other than, "No way he can be that tone-deaf"

Especially since we've learned that since the beginning, he's basically been driving this train. Is it so hard to believe that he could be authentic in his buffoonery?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm pretty sure his only purpose at the start was trolling Jeb Bush.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

I'm not sure why people say this. Like, what has given anyone that impression other than, "No way he can be that tone-deaf"

Especially since we've learned that since the beginning, he's basically been driving this train. Is it so hard to believe that he could be authentic in his buffoonery?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/03/28/trump_super_pac_director_stephanie_cegielski_writes_letter_on_why_she_s.html

quote:

The former director of a pro-Donald Trump Super PAC officially defected from Team Trump on Monday with an essay on xoJane about how she lost faith in her candidate of choice. Stephanie Cegielski, a strategist and communications specialist, says she was brought in to run the Make America Great Again Super PAC last summer, but ultimately came to realize what everyone who hasn’t fallen under the Trump spell could sniff from the very beginning: Trump is wholly unprepared to be president and is only out for himself.

Cegielski paints a picture of a campaign and candidate that began with modest aspirations of hitting double digits in support, but later caught fire and began to believe its own hype.
Even Trump's most trusted advisors didn’t expect him to fare this well … the goal was to get The Donald to poll in double digits and come in second in delegate count. That was it. The Trump camp would have been satisfied to see him polling at 12% and taking second place to a candidate who might hold 50%. His candidacy was a protest candidacy
I don’t think even Trump thought he would get this far. And I don’t even know that he wanted to, which is perhaps the scariest prospect of all. He certainly was never prepared or equipped to go all the way to the White House, but his ego has now taken over the driver’s seat, and nothing else matters. The Donald does not fail. The Donald does not have any weakness. The Donald is his own biggest enemy.
What was once Trump’s desire to rank second place to send a message to America and to increase his power as a businessman has nightmarishly morphed into a charade that is poised to do irreparable damage to this country if we do not stop this campaign in its tracks … He doesn’t want the White House. He just wants to be able to say that he could have run the White House. He’s achieved that already and then some. If there is any question, take it from someone who was recruited to help the candidate succeed, and initially very much wanted him to do so. The hard truth is: Trump only cares about Trump.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Tempest_56 posted:

Why don't we just elide the 'post WWII' part then...any good research on the primary/caucus system design and its relation to turnout and engagement?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

I'm pretty sure his only purpose at the start was trolling Jeb Bush.

:patriot: Mission Accomplished. :patriot:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ah well, there we are then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boon posted:

it doesn't make any sense for Trump to actually want to be president, he doesn't get anything from it and i believe he's too smart to want to do it (at first) out of sheer ego stroking. it makes a lot of sense for him to run, get some free press coverage and bulk up his public image while convincing a whole flock of rural rubes that he's a smart rich guy, then bow out with a respectable third place or whatever - but he struck the motherlode of populist resentment. now the question is if he's in over his head and can't figure out how to bow out while maintaining face or if it really got to his head and he's convinced himself he can save america

• Locked thread