Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, I was shocked at how large the thing was once I started putting it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's time for Ersatzpanzerscheissewagen Mazda T-2000 (j)!

It's craptastic! :D

I really dig the windscreen armor with the little peak hole. Very tank-ish!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That was left over from Academy's M3A1 Stuart, IIRC. They fit perfectly into the windshield hole!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I heartily approve of both commubot and his freshly defeated foe.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The other day I cut my self on a loving pair of scissors while cutting out some card stock and of course was reminded of this today.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

lovely picture but I made and planted the first tree on the layout. I didn't know what I was doing but I sprinkled some tree stuff on a tree trunk and now I have a tree???

Well done!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at picking these up to start some pastel weathering - does this seem like a good set of colors if I'm weathering modern military aircraft and sci-fi?

http://www.amazon.com/General-Penci...=stick++pastels

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I started working on the Bandai 1/48 AT-ST. I thought it was very cool that it has interiors! So I file down the annoying huge tabs in the seats (since I won't use the fugly drivers), and start painting the interior. No problems!

That is, until I dry fit the roof and front, and realize that it's so shadowed that even with the hatch open, everything inside is pretty much too dark to be seen anyway.

Do you guys paint the interiors, even if they're not that visible? This is my first kit that has interiors at all.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Of course, take photos before gluing it together though.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

lilljonas posted:

Bandai 1/48 AT-ST

For this reason I didn't bother with the interior when I built my AT-ST. But since my model half disintegrated from the enamel wash I'll might build another one. And then I'll probably paint the interior and make the top removable. Or maybe I'll put in some LEDs.

Not sure what the problem is with Bandai's plastic and enamel washes. I painted it with Tamiya rattle can and that went fine, but the MIG wash cracked the plastic all over the model. This is a common problem according to Google.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Of course, take photos before gluing it together though.

More effort than this felt unnecessary when you can barely make out the colour of the interior if you put the AT-ST under a lamp:

E: nice warning about the enamel washes. Luckily I only use acrylic washes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I painted the interior of mine, with the intention of leaving the roof removable, since it was only a press fit. Once I got it on though, I couldn't get it off without feeling like the whole model was going to crumple in my grip. I'll only see the interior now with the pics I took:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Long shot, but has anyone ever built the 1/72 AMT F-14 Top Gun Tomcat? It looks like it's full of flash and bad fits. I'm mostly doing it to build the movie Tomcat, and if I do well enough at it, give it to my dad for Father's Day since that's his all-time favorite.

Should I back off and get something better engineered, and keep the decals for said better-engineered kit?

Also, is there any online retailer that'll sell Paasche Talon O-rings without giving me an involuntary goatse on the shipping? $1.65 for the O-ring at Coastal but $9 to ship... :-(

There's a few Blick stores near me but they don't carry 'em, and Michael's/AC Moore don't either. My local hobby shop's distributor doesn't carry them either.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Hobby Boss 1/350 Type IXC U-Boat. This one fits together better than the Type VIIC, but the molding quality suffered a little.

Despite essentially requiring the conning tower railings (there are no styrene railings) to be photoetch, the deck railings are provided both as photoetch and as polystyrene. the PE replacements look nicer, but they also require some nasty hole-filling.

The AA guns are the worst parts of the kit - they could have really used some PE beyond just the gun shield. However, for $20 I think having any PE at all is worth it.

Unlike the VIIC, the propeller/rudder assembly actually fits together pretty well!

I went a little heavy on the weathering because you need to go pretty heavy for it to be noticeable at such a small scale. Unfortunately, unlike the Type VIICs, the Type IXCs rarely got the cool tiger-stripe camouflage, so I opted for the standard "grey on darker grey" that most boats got. the rust effects did add a splash of color.

Comparison with the Type VIIC I did a few weeks ago. You can really see how much bigger the type IXCs were, though that didn't stop some of the smaller VIICs from crossing the Atlantic to hunt along the American coastline as well.

I haven't weathered the Type VIIC yet, but I think I'm going to go a bit lighter with the wash to make sure the tiger stripes still pop after it's done.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MJP posted:

Also, is there any online retailer that'll sell Paasche Talon O-rings without giving me an involuntary goatse on the shipping? $1.65 for the O-ring at Coastal but $9 to ship... :-(

There's a few Blick stores near me but they don't carry 'em, and Michael's/AC Moore don't either. My local hobby shop's distributor doesn't carry them either.

Try Chicago Airbrush Supply maybe?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's time for Ersatzpanzerscheissewagen Mazda T-2000 (j)!

This owns so hard.

I kinda want to paint mine realistically, just because it's such a quirky design. Maybe I'll pile all the parts of other kits I've mangled into the bed like it's hauling scrap.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 10, 2016

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015

MJP posted:

I'm looking at picking these up to start some pastel weathering - does this seem like a good set of colors if I'm weathering modern military aircraft and sci-fi?

http://www.amazon.com/General-Penci...=stick++pastels

Yeah, those are pretty great. That's what I use for pastel weathering.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Yeah, I was shocked at how large the thing was once I started putting it together.

Best truck I've ever seen. Put some Nebelwerfers on it just to see how the name expands.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sparq posted:

Best truck I've ever seen. Put some Nebelwerfers on it just to see how the name expands.

I don't speak German. Is there some grammatical limit to how far you can aglutinate before it becomes Wrong?

Unrelated: anyone else ever accidentally jab their airbrush needle under one of their fingernails? :unsmigghh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This is going to be difficult for anyone to believe, but I've actually started on the next great (little) boat project.

Time to turn this stuff:

into something!

The first step is to modify the false keel with some wooden 'bridges' so that I can remove some wood to make a path for the propeller shaft to go. The other parts visible are cut and trimmed, and ready to become the outside edge of the keel and stem. This model uses a very different method for the 'rabbet' for the planking. Instead of cutting it into the false keel, the sides of the keel are built out using these parts to create a wider keel width than the false keel, creating a place for the planking to land on. If it's unclear from my description, hopefully the later pictures will show it after it's assembled.

I put the mechanical pencil in for a size reference. The green cutting mat is about 23.5" wide also.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Just getting back into this hobby after about 20 years - quite the nostalgia trip!

Is there a goon-recommended paint brand (for plastic kitsets)? I'm in New Zealand, it seems like Tamiya is the most readily available, but if they have a bad rep I'm prepared to look further afield.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Vulpes posted:

Just getting back into this hobby after about 20 years - quite the nostalgia trip!

Is there a goon-recommended paint brand (for plastic kitsets)? I'm in New Zealand, it seems like Tamiya is the most readily available, but if they have a bad rep I'm prepared to look further afield.

I prefer Vallejo, but Tamiya is world class. Do you have Gunze out that way? Matching color callouts would be easier since any manufacturer who doesn't have their own paint line use Mr. Color and Mr. Hobby for their instructions. Cannot speak to the quality of Mr.Hobby paint (it's supposed to be really good)

edit:
By the way, use on-brand thinner if possible. It just works better than water.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 11, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vulpes posted:

Tamiya airbrushes well but is kind of a pain to hand paint.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Tamiya airbrushes well but is kind of a pain to hand paint.

Really? I've been hand painting it with no issues.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Really? I've been hand painting it with no issues.

Do you hand paint it neat, or with a dose of thinner in it?

When I've tried to paint it neat, it dries too quickly to get down a smooth coat. A bunch of thinner helps, but I could use pretty much any other paint neat with no issues. Brilliant for airbrushing, but I'd rather use pretty much every and any other paint for hand brushing.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I usually wet my brush before I paint.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Crap car reveal!

My inspiration was the MNU general purpose security vehicle. I mostly used screenshots for reference and I think the only decent behind-the-scenes picture of the trucks used in the movie.

And here it is, the MNU Tactical Mr. Ramen Speedy Delivery Vehicle

The front bumper is made of styrene strips glued into a C-shape, then cut into angled pieces and glued together. The rear wheels got some plasticard covers and on the roof there is a BF109 air filter.

The major mods are strips of styrene along the sides and rear to simulate the armor(?) on the movie trucks and of course the window bars made of styrene rod and brass wire.

I also made the roll bar out of some sprue.

The interior is painted in a gray scheme with greenish seats, not that much of that is visible.

The kit comes with four tires so I made a spare tire holder and fabricated a fuel tank out of some old rocket launcher parts.

Lastly the model is covered with leftover decals from an F-15, F-16, BF-109 and a Black Hawk helicopter. There might be some X-Wing decals too.

I'm pretty happy with it even though the pinwash is a bit too dark and uneven. Maybe I should have added some more detail on the roof and on the front bumper but that would have taken ages to scratch build. I think I put like 30-40 hours into this little bugger, and the extra detail material cost more than the kit itself.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's pretty badass, man!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Cannot speak to the quality of Mr.Hobby paint (it's supposed to be really good)

edit:
By the way, use on-brand thinner if possible. It just works better than water.

I use Mr. Color paint (:japan:) and I like it a lot, I find it behaves a lot better than Tamiya for airbrushing. Technically I think it's lacquer though so no mixing and matching with other acrylics as much and also requires their own brand crazy strength thinners which will gladly take the finish off tables and floors alike if you spill any. :smith: Their Aqueous Hobby Color is water based however and mixes with Tamiya paints and thinners, though I think I prefer the Mr. Hobby paints.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Painting the swing-wings of an F-14 before assembling them into the fuselage: good idea/bad idea?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

makka-setan posted:

Crap car reveal!

I've never seen District 9 but that's amazing anyway.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
drat those 2 crapcars are amazing. I have the plan for mine but I still haven't started oh god :ohdear:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MJP posted:

Painting the swing-wings of an F-14 before assembling them into the fuselage: good idea/bad idea?

Yes.

:smug:

Seriously, after assembly will work fine and give you a better idea where the swing happens

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I just had a really crap day preshading with my gravity fed airbrush. It alternated between not feeding anything at all from the cup, to unevenly splatter paint for a few minutes until getting clogged. I spent maybe two hours taking it apart, cleaning it, badly spraying preshadin on a kit, and then taking it apart again. It was maddening, and now I fear for trying to do the actual base coat, since I couldn't get a smooth spray, even for a few seconds. :(

I tried different paints and different amounts of water in the paints, and after testing everything, I'm wondering if it might be the nozzle messing things up? If I remove the nozzle I can spray water through it fine, but as soon as I put on the nozzle, it's splatter city at best, and nothing passing through at all at worst. Any tips?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Could be something dried in the nozzle. You can get a special nozzle cleaning tool, which is usually a very fine needle with a flattened side which will scrape the inner sides of the nozzle and get any gunk out. Make sure there's nothing blocking the area where the air comes from the body of the airbrush into the tip area. A good soak in strong solvent can't hurt either.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I welded my first bit of photo etch today! If you do this, make sure you use an iron that isn't trash, my lovely 25W Weller could barely handle the job.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I welded my first bit of photo etch today! If you do this, make sure you use an iron that isn't trash, my lovely 25W Weller could barely handle the job.

The solution... http://www.amazon.com/American-Beau...tance+soldering

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Not for that price it isn't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Small butane soldering irons are much better than small electric ones. Weller sells a bunch of nice ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've got a Weller WES51, and it's handled everything I've thrown at it, modeling and electronics wise.