Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

DrGreatJob posted:

What? Out of like 600 hours between DS1 and DS2, I've encountered maybe like 5-10 cheaters... and most (~80%) of that was PvP.

I wanted to make a note of this and say; From my personal experience with DS2/SotFS, I actually encountered hackers like maybe ... 5% of all my engagements. And besides that, most of the hackers I met were loving hilarious. They actually added to my experiences playing the game. Not to mention to others, like hacked fight club hosts with dagger-backstabs that heal people instead. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Since there's a lot of weapon upgrade talk, I'll just go ahead and list all the upgrade paths. I'll put 'em in spoilers in case anyone wants to discover these for themselves.

Physical-Scaling Upgrade Paths. Note that all of these can be buffed with resins or weapon buff spells.
  • Sharp - Lowers Strength scaling, increases Dexterity scaling. Lowers base damage slightly to make up for enhanced scaling overall.
  • Heavy - Removes Dexterity scaling, increases Strength scaling. Again, lowers base damage slightly.
  • Refined - Equalizes Strength and Dexterity scaling, lowers base damage. Remember Quality from Demon's Souls? It's back!
  • Hollow - Lowers base damage and Strength/Dexterity scaling, adds Luck scaling.

Magic-Scaling Upgrade Paths. Note that these cannot be buffed with resins or weapon buff spells. All of these lower base damage and Strength/Dexterity scaling, so I don't have to repeat that every time.
  • Crystal - Adds magic damage that scales with Intelligence.
  • Lightning - Adds lightning damage that scales with Faith.
  • Chaos - Adds fire damage that scales equally with Intelligence and Faith.
  • Dark - Adds dark damage that scales equally with Intelligence and Faith.
  • Simple - Adds magic damage that scales with Intelligence, adds FP regeneration.
  • Blessed - Adds Faith scaling to the physical damage, adds HP regeneration.

Non-Scaling Upgrade Paths. All of these remove all of the scaling from a weapon.
  • Raw - Adds 40% base damage. Can be buffed with resins/spells.
  • Fire - Lowers physical damage, adds non-scaling fire damage. Cannot be buffed. You can start with a Fire Gem, so this is available extremely early.
  • Deep - Lowers physical damage, adds non-scaling dark damage. Cannot be buffed.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Note to casters and people who want to play hybrid characters: raw is super good now, especially if you stick it on the right weapon.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Kaldaris posted:

I wanted to make a note of this and say; From my personal experience with DS2/SotFS, I actually encountered hackers like maybe ... 5% of all my engagements. And besides that, most of the hackers I met were loving hilarious. They actually added to my experiences playing the game. Not to mention to others, like hacked fight club hosts with dagger-backstabs that heal people instead. :3:

Echoing this. Hackers happen, but not only has it been rare, maybe 30-50% of them have been novelties that were more than entertaining enough to be worth the death, and of those, some of the novelty hacker invaders didn't even try to kill me making the encounters all the less painful.

Honestly, the 'worst' hackers have been people I invaded who turned on infinite health and made me waste a ton of time trying to kick them off a cliff. :mad:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what's a fun early weapon to use the fire crystal on? unless I can get multiple partizans, then I'll just use a fire on one and a chaos on the other when i get it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tell me about Dex/Luck, Harrow.

I mean, if you can.

I heard something about Luck increasing either the chance or effectiveness of things like Bleed, so you could stack this poo poo high enough that you wreck everything, is this correct or am I wrong

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The game is ready! What are you waiting for, From?!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah I was thinking of going heavy into pyromancy with just a minimum of str/dex, but the weapon skill on theWinged Knight Halberd... it calls to my soul...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BillmasterCozb posted:

The game is ready! What are you waiting for, From?!

They're waiting for Bamco to stop being incompetent shitlords.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

queeb posted:

thanks a ton for this, I guess I'm going pure pyro! how hard is it to meet the stat requirements for armor? something about a heavy armor pyro sounds great, but I'm afraid of not having enough points to dump into vit/end/whatever

There aren't any requirements to wear armor beyond equip weight, so Vitality is your only concern here.

For reference, the Knight class starts with a full set of Knight armor and doesn't fat-roll with their base 15 Vitality. That said, there are some extremely heavy armor sets and weapons. There's also a ring that gives you a flat +5 to Vigor (HP), Vitality, and Endurance. It's really hard to say how much Vitality you need until you know what weapons and armor you're going to use. If you're going pure pyro, though, you should have plenty of points left over to get however much Vitality you need.

The magic numbers for equip weight, last I heard, are 30% (fastest roll) and 70% (when you start fat-rolling). I think there's a steady decrease in your roll distance up to 70%, like in DS2, but no change in i-frames. It seems like people are pretty content to stay at like 69% equip weight, and it looks like the roll distance at that weight is better than it would be in DS2. So equip weight is simultaneously more forgiving (its effects are less pronounced) and less forgiving (armor and weapons are generally heavier than DS2).

Worth noting that all this stat-talk assumes a couple things: first, that you're talking about NG+/PvP level stuff, because you'll probably finish your first playthrough around SL 70ish, like usual; and second, that you're limiting yourself to a certain SL range for matchmaking purposes.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 11, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Harrow posted:

Worth noting that all this stat-talk assumes a couple things: first, that you're talking about NG+/PvP level stuff, because you'll probably finish your first playthrough around SL 70ish, like usual; and second, that you're limiting yourself to a certain SL range for matchmaking purposes.

I was like 105 when I killed Allant in Demon's Souls :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Visions of waiting...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I was like 105 when I killed Allant in Demon's Souls :v:

DS1 was my first Souls game and I think I was like 95 when I beat Gwyn so I know the feeling. I'd say it's because I did all the DLC stuff, too, but it's probably just because I overleveled because I decided I wanted to use the MLGS on what had up to that point been a pretty pure Dex build.

No idea what level I was when I beat Allant in Demon's Souls, but I'm pretty sure my first Demon's Souls character never got over SL 85 or so, even though I went a decent ways into NG+.

Also I miss Demon's Souls a lot and I wish I still had a PS3

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Do the international PS4 game servers go live at that special time and date? That case I better hurry up finishing making these twinks

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I mean, if you can.

I heard something about Luck increasing either the chance or effectiveness of things like Bleed, so you could stack this poo poo high enough that you wreck everything, is this correct or am I wrong

I mean I guess you could go dex/luck but you'd be spreading your points rather thin. You'd be best off going pure luck and just infusing whatever weapons you want to use along the Hollow path. Most of the good bleed weapons can be infused. Plus this will give you good damage with one luck-scaling sword, assuming you get it (since it's part of an NPC quest line).

I've heard a fair amount of praise for Luck builds utilizing the Corvian Great Scythe, a reaper you can farm off a fairly early enemy type that has potent bleed and does pretty well with the Hollow infusion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I mean, if you can.

Genocyber is correct. There's not really much reason to level both, with the Hollow infusion around and resins to add Bleed on top of already Bleed-stacking weapons.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Genocyber is correct. There's not really much reason to level both, with the Hollow infusion around and resins to add Bleed on top of already Bleed-stacking weapons.

You can't use resins on infused weapons tho, right?

Or did you mean having two weapons, one with Hollow for 'raw' damage, and another for resins to deal status.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is bleed/poison builds tied up in luck then?

Can you do a bleed or poison heavy build and have it worthwhile or is it like Dark Souls 2 / Bloodborne where you're generally better off ignoring status effects and building to hit harder and/or because most things you would want to poison/bleed were generally immune?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Or did you mean having two weapons, one with Hollow for 'raw' damage, and another for resins to deal status.

Hollow weapons can be buffed, just like Sharp, Heavy, Refined, and Raw. No other infusion can be buffed.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Hollow weapons can be buffed, just like Sharp, Heavy, Refined, and Raw. No other infusion can be buffed.

Neat! Raw weapons 4 life

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Harrow posted:

DS1 was my first Souls game and I think I was like 95 when I beat Gwyn so I know the feeling. I'd say it's because I did all the DLC stuff, too, but it's probably just because I overleveled because I decided I wanted to use the MLGS on what had up to that point been a pretty pure Dex build.

I was around 90 when I beat DaS. It was a 90% blind run, I started, got to the gargoyles, quit for about a year, picked it back up and had no drat clue what I was doing or where I was. I ended up going through everything in the weirdest-rear end order imaginable and inadvertently overleveled myself quite a bit before I even made it to Blighttown the 'proper' way (I didn't have a master key but ended up finding the back entrance through Darkroot Basin/Valley of Drakes, died a few times and decided I should probably go somewhere else).

This day could not possible go any slower. I've accomplished more at work today than I have in the last two weeks combined and it's not even lunch yet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kiggles posted:

All physical-damage infusions can be buffed, aside from Blessed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

porkinson posted:

Steam is pushing that stupid controller of theirs with ds3 for 40% off.
Is it good for ds? Any one with any experience with that controller?

Yes. Just change the right stick to use trackball-like controls and map run to the button on the back.

source: played through about half of DS2 with it over the weekend.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The rule for "can this weapon be buffed?" is basically:
  • Does it already have elemental damage on it?
  • Does it already scale with Intelligence and/or Faith?
  • Is it a boss soul weapon?
If the answer to any of the above is "yes," it can't be buffed. That means that you can buff normal, Sharp, Heavy, Refined, Hollow, and Raw weapons, but not any of the other infusions or boss weapons, or the occasional non-boss weapon with inherent elemental damage.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

double nine posted:

With my pre-order I got a "vip-code", nearest I can find is it's bandai's community registry with nothing particularly interesting, am I missing out on something noteworthy if I completely ignore it?

It gives you 1000 points for Bamco's lovely loyalty scheme. You can redeem it for dumb anime poo poo like a one piece pint glass. If you don't want it send it to me so i can see if you can stack codes from the same game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

So is bleed/poison builds tied up in luck then?

Can you do a bleed or poison heavy build and have it worthwhile or is it like Dark Souls 2 / Bloodborne where you're generally better off ignoring status effects and building to hit harder and/or because most things you would want to poison/bleed were generally immune?

Strength poison builds were actually good in Dark Souls II with the addition of the Sanctum Mace. That thing was by far the best weapon for poisoning dudes, in addition to hitting hard.

As far as here goes, heavy along with poison/bleed probably wouldn't be the most effective. There aren't too many heavier weapons with bleed or poison. Although there is a boss one you can make pretty early on with the new status Frostbite. No idea if it's at all effective or anything.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

axeil posted:

Yes. Just change the right stick to use trackball-like controls and map run to the button on the back.

source: played through about half of DS2 with it over the weekend.

Echoing. It can still take a little while to get a feel for the layout, but it isn't a very big change, since Dark Souls leans on shoulder buttons more than face buttons a lot more than other 3D hack-and-slash games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I played Dark Souls 1/2 all weekend with a Steam controller and the bumpers are kind of a dealbreaker for me. I actually like the trackpad well enough, but the bumpers are just too stiff for a game that uses them a lot. (I tried to remap the controls to use the triggers as R1/L1 and the back paddles as R2/L2, but my reflexes from playing a lot of years of Souls were too much to overcome. If you're not in that position, that might work really well for you!)

I did, however, get past all of Anor Londo (including the archers) first try on two separate characters with it, and beat O&S on both with it, so it clearly wasn't hindering me.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Genocyber posted:

Strength poison builds were actually good in Dark Souls II with the addition of the Sanctum Mace. That thing was by far the best weapon for poisoning dudes, in addition to hitting hard.

As far as here goes, heavy along with poison/bleed probably wouldn't be the most effective. There aren't too many heavier weapons with bleed or poison. Although there is a boss one you can make pretty early on with the new status Frostbite. No idea if it's at all effective or anything.

If I rolled full poison or bleed rear end in a top hat build am I going to have a lot of trouble on bosses being super resistant or immune on me, or is that yet to be seen?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

If I rolled full poison or bleed rear end in a top hat build am I going to have a lot of trouble on bosses being super resistant or immune on me, or is that yet to be seen?

poison yes bleed no

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I am psyched up to be a pyromancer! I started my time with this series as a a pyro so I may as well conclude it as a pyro. Raw and chaos weapons and fireballs are in my very near future.

Here's hoping the afternoon at work goes by quickly for us all!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

poison yes bleed no

No idea about poison, but I'll second that bleed is super good. There are bosses that are resistant so you'll still need a good source of regular damage, but tons of enemies are bosses can be bled, a number are very susceptible to it, and it does a ton of damage.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Why are you idiots spoilering infusions and other mechanics discussion? It's retarded. Maybe this thread should just default to every post being behind spoiler tags. loving sperglords.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Is Bleed back to being a percentage, or is it dependent upon some other factor like weapon/total Bleed damage?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Genocyber posted:

No idea about poison, but I'll second that bleed is super good. There are bosses that are resistant so you'll still need a good source of regular damage, but tons of enemies are bosses can be bled, a number are very susceptible to it, and it does a ton of damage.

logic dictates that damage over time like poison will be ineffective on many of the bosses

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In general terms, are there fun utility pyromancies? DS2 had a few (warmth, flash sweat, fire weapon), but utility stuff has always mainly been Sorc. and Miracles. I've been hoping that they gave pyromancy some stuff to do that's not just damage.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm real mad that I'm getting this game on PS4 and have to wait an extra six hours to play. Pretty f'ed up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meatsicle posted:

retarded sperglords.

:yikes:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

In general terms, are there fun utility pyromancies? DS2 had a few (warmth, flash sweat, fire weapon), but utility stuff has always mainly been Sorc. and Miracles. I've been hoping that they gave pyromancy some stuff to do that's not just damage.

There are, yes. Most of the old favorites are back from DS1 and DS2, along with a few new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

Yes, though Warmth is crappy now and has a high Faith requirement. There are multiple "Sweat"-type pyromancies for boosting resistances and more than one damage-boosting personal buff. I think 12/12 or 15/15 gets you access to all the utilities and buffs.