Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Oh right ya.

I'll be honest. I never use Coran, or frankly any other NPC you need to be past Chapter 3 to recruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rahzmataz posted:

Wait, you can split them while he's dead? God, that's grim, and also a bit funny.

So, the plan is to let Imoen tag along, head north and get K&J, let him get slaughtered, grab Ajantis while i'm there, then I really need a thief while Imoen is learning to mage. What's the name of that Thief you meet on the way? He's paired up with a Mage, I think? Could be a decent stopgap.

His name is Montaron, but unfortunately he wasted all his early points on stealth skills when what you really want in a low-level thief is locks & traps. Go for Safana on the west coast instead.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
You all are monsters. I always set up my unwanted npcs in a nice house in beregost where they can retire in peace.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

insanityv2 posted:

You all are monsters. I always set up my unwanted npcs in a nice house in beregost where they can retire in peace.

It's about ethics in adventuring.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

insanityv2 posted:

One of my mods sends them to Friendly Arm (if good) or Belching Dragon (if evil).

Anyone know if its possible to pickpocket Drizzt's +5 defender? Can you use it if evil? (Im using BGTuTu)

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

LowellDND posted:

One of my mods sends them to Friendly Arm (if good) or Belching Dragon (if evil).

Anyone know if its possible to pickpocket Drizzt's +5 defender? Can you use it if evil? (Im using BGTuTu)

I killed him once, with liberal use of wands of Summon Monster to keep him busy and plinking away at him with arrows. After that you can grab his stuff off him.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I dunno about pickpocketing but you need to be a good alignment to use either of Drizzt's Scimitars.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

insanityv2 posted:

They all canonically die anyway, though I personally believe someone found and resurrected Dynaheir after the ambush and Minsc was just too Minsc to consider the possibility.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Even with associated costs, the fact that resurrection is something that occurs on a regular basis does take tension out of a lot of things if you actually start thinking about it.

Like the one quest in Saradush, where you can revive the father of some boy to get some XP and +1 in Reputation. Sure, it's a nice little moment in isolation, but the streets of the city are littered with bodies and I literally have a spell called Mass Resurrection. So, it's kind of turns into a dick moment.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 11, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

IIRC 2nd edition threw in a lot of caveats, like the Finger of Death spell, but even with the description I don't think the "Needs Wish to bring back" is reflected in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LD7NQSie6Y&t=200s

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rahzmataz posted:

All good points, i'm particularly concerned about high level magic.

I was actually considering taking Jaheira along, but as far as I remember she comes bundled with Khalid and I can't kick him out without her leaving. Any suggestions on how to oust him?

Get the cursed petrification scroll from the sleazy merchant and have him read it and get stoned.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've been stashing all my spare companions at the Friendly Arm. Goodies in one corner, baddies in the opposite corner, neutrals in the middle. The only exceptions so far are Monty, Xzar, and Rasaad who all died and I couldn't be bothered to raise, Garrick who I left ages ago at the Jovial Juggler and wasn't worth the effort of transporting up to the FA, and Edwin and Viconia who both told me to gently caress off because I was too much of a goody-goody. That and anyone left in Baldur's Gate proper since I haven't sent foot in the city yet, and won't until I finish slogging my way through Durlag's Tower.

Currently I'm running with CHARNAME (Archer), Yeslick, Kivan, Coran, Imoen (dualed since 7 to mage, still only mage 6), and Neera. I've got everyone specced missile weapons except Yes, who's got the Boots of Speed and all the armor and defensive items on him that he can carry. That way, he runs forward, draws all the melee, and my firing squad murders the enemies. Mostly it works, allowing me to save my spells for big encounters and extend how long I can go between rests.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 11, 2016

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012
I'm going through EE now solo with a Fighter/Illusionist. I'm at level cap I think (lvl 7 for both and I don't get any more xp :'()
What equipment would you recommend I get before continuing the story? I'm in Baldur's Gate now and have access to Durlag's Tower etc.

My next run is hopefully my solo "Bard with Wands" run. It's a solo run of a Bard (standard one) using a lot of wands (especially the Wand of Paralysation)

In the meantime, I'm also going to do one with a party and have those EE NPC's joining as well. But that's just a "cruising" playthrough when I feel like it. The solo run is something I prefer. I did BG2 solo with an Inquisitor and I love it. Once IWD:EE goes 2.0 I intend to do a solo run there as well.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

LowellDND posted:

You can't pickpocket the weapons an NPC has equipped or his armor. Since that's all he drops you have to kill him for it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Washout posted:

You can't pickpocket the weapons an NPC has equipped or his armor. Since that's all he drops you have to kill him for it.

Pity.

As an aside, I forget who reccomended the iiSpellSystemAdjustments, but it's really enjoyable. Instead of having a Vancian style caster, I have an array of daily and encounter powers. Makes the game a lot more tolerable.

(My settings are 60 seconds per level, compounded, 3 over 1, if people want to try it out)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Crip Towe posted:

I'm going through EE now solo with a Fighter/Illusionist. I'm at level cap I think (lvl 7 for both and I don't get any more xp :'()
What equipment would you recommend I get before continuing the story? I'm in Baldur's Gate now and have access to Durlag's Tower etc.

You get pretty nice loot right out the gate (well, out of Jon's dungeon) in BG2, so the only loot you really want out of BG1 are the tomes.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Rappaport posted:

You get pretty nice loot right out the gate (well, out of Jon's dungeon) in BG2, so the only loot you really want out of BG1 are the tomes.
And the stuff that gets imported if, well, you import. Although I don't remember what exactly all the items that can be carried over are.

Also, this discussion about Zone of Truth and whatever makes me wonder who thought it was a good idea to include this in a role-playing game to begin with. Raise Dead obviously makes sense, but even something like Detect Evil is just a plot-killer (or rendered useless by more magic, I imagine).

Also also, I'd be down for Skie BG2:EE DLC. I guess there'd be a lot of overlap with Nalia as far as characterization goes, but still, I've always kinda liked Skie's character concept, except you get her way too late (and she can't simply be moved to an earlier area the way other NPCs can), and then when you get her it'll take approximately an hour until her sound set gets her kicked out again. So Skie available early in BG2 with less annoying barks (the voice actress did a really good job in SoD btw) would be something I'd like.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 11, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm regretting my decision to pick Fighter/Thief. It's very boring. Also I didn't realize Minsc would just loving leave so I ended up having to put the game on Easy mode and then go rescue his lady.

I think I am in chapter 3?

Game's fun but seriously it's very piecemeal on what to actually do with regards to quests.

Fun though.

Very relaxing.

This is the regular Baldur's Gate EE. No mods, but I still haven't quite figured out how to install them.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Fighter/Thieves aren't all that early on, but once their backstab multiplier goes up, they had the chance to possibly raise stealth a little and you're generally past the point where everyone is missing constantly they become reliable backstabbers.

If backstabbing doesn't particularly excite you, though, yeah, not much else to see there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Wizard Styles posted:

Fighter/Thieves aren't all that early on, but once their backstab multiplier goes up, they had the chance to possibly raise stealth a little and you're generally past the point where everyone is missing constantly they become reliable backstabbers.

If backstabbing doesn't particularly excite you, though, yeah, not much else to see there.

Yeah I honestly got confused and thought that sneak attack was in the game. It's just backstab which is kind of tough but I figure with two thieves I can do some damage. I think I am going to end up Dual Classing Immoen to Mage/Thief

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

And the stuff that gets imported if, well, you import. Although I don't remember what exactly all the items that can be carried over are.

You get better stuff than anything out of BG1 with like an hour of playing BG2 after Chateau Irenicus, so it isn't really super important. Unless silly things like Drizzt's swords carry over, I can't remember if they do. And the pants, but again, those are for silly things.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I honestly got confused and thought that sneak attack was in the game. It's just backstab which is kind of tough but I figure with two thieves I can do some damage. I think I am going to end up Dual Classing Immoen to Mage/Thief
Dualing Imoen is generally a good idea unless you've got two Mages already, yeah. Strength is easy to raise, but there aren't enough Strength potions to make Imoen particularly competent in melee throughout the game, so once she's got lockpicking and trapfinding maxed she doesn't get a lot out of extra Thief levels.
I really hope Beamdog patches sneak attack into the game, it's not even particularly amazing, but it's still more satisfying overall because you don't end up with your Thief critically missing their one shot at a damage modifier. (Also, backstabbing is too hard/requires way too much effort to pull off as an opening move with SCS installed since every Mage has Stoneskin up permanently.)

Oh, and make a trip to Ulgoth's Beard once you got some spare cash, there's an invisibility ring for sale there. That together with invisibility potions will at least give you some extra backstabs in difficult fights.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 11, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Rappaport posted:

You get better stuff than anything out of BG1 with like an hour of playing BG2 after Chateau Irenicus, so it isn't really super important. Unless silly things like Drizzt's swords carry over, I can't remember if they do. And the pants, but again, those are for silly things.
You can get the Helm of Balduran or the Claw of Kazgaroth, of that at least I'm pretty sure. Those are nice to have in BG2.

I don't remember anything else, so I guess the other items are as underwhelming as you say. v:kiddo:v

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 11, 2016

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012
I was thinking more for in BG1 itself. I'm tome collecting at the moment. I think that's the most important part.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You automatically get the Helm of Balduran in BG2 without importing. In the EE now the genie will give you one of these based on your class and proficiencies too:

The Burning Earth +1
Ashideena +2
Bala’s Axe, Wizard Slayer
Suryris’s Blade +2
The Grave Binder +2
Staff Spear +2
Staff Mace +2
Sling +3
Varscona +2
Krotan’s Skullcrusher +2
Kiel’s Morning Star

You can also bring one over via import of course.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I was a fool for thinking i could get SoD done before DS3 hits. haven't even got to the loving bridge yet. :| ah well, this and bg2 might be patched by the time i'm done with ds3 so it's all for the best, not that i've run into any show stopping bugs there weren't my fault but still.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pwnstar posted:

You automatically get the Helm of Balduran in BG2 without importing. In the EE now the genie will give you one of these based on your class and proficiencies too:

The Burning Earth +1
Ashideena +2
Bala’s Axe, Wizard Slayer
Suryris’s Blade +2
The Grave Binder +2
Staff Spear +2
Staff Mace +2
Sling +3
Varscona +2
Krotan’s Skullcrusher +2
Kiel’s Morning Star

You can also bring one over via import of course.

i read they recently changed it back so the genie gives you sarevok's sword, but a new post-SoD version, dont know how true that is though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Are The Burning Earth's bonuses just to damage or also to THAC0?

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

insanityv2 posted:

Yeah... so I usually have Jaheira kill Khalid or Minsc kill Dynaheir or visa versa when I don't want one of them. Boy do they wail about it afterward.

I always feel a LITTLE bad about it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Vikar Jerome posted:

i read they recently changed it back so the genie gives you sarevok's sword, but a new post-SoD version, dont know how true that is though.

Oh right yeah, you find the item on a table now.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Yeah... so I usually have Jaheira kill Khalid or Minsc kill Dynaheir or visa versa when I don't want one of them. Boy do they wail about it afterward.

I always feel a LITTLE bad about it.

Your dad would be proud.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I honestly don't mind Khalid. He's got good Con and Dex, and his Strength can pretty easily be fixed. Yeah, there are -better- fighters in the game, but by the time you have them, your party should already be rolling the content. The amount of effort needed to minmax him out ( especially from an immersion standpoint, killing/housing someone midgame is a bit uh, odd. ) is a bit insane to me. Especially since BG1 is early game DnD, so as you clear content, someone is going to die. If it's Khalid, just don't reload the save!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Vichan posted:

Doesn't she admit that she made up the story when you're romancing her?

I've no idea, it's been ages since I've gone through that plotline. Is someone able to clarify?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Milky Moor posted:

I've no idea, it's been ages since I've gone through that plotline. Is someone able to clarify?

She comes up with about three different versions of the story during her romance, every time trying to push the PC away from her. Who knows what the truth is.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
She lies once about it to try and push CHARNAME away, but then admits the first time she told it was the truth.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is kind of a problem with the setting more than the game, but why hasn't Caelar lost her Paladin abilities, or any of the other paladins on the crusade? I didn't lose mine, nor did that one other paladin. You could say "They're both right", but Caelar knows that her crusade is full of poo poo and she just wants to get her uncle back no matter the cost. The Faerunian pantheon is kind of shitheaded to not be trying to speak to some of its followers about this stuff. Shouldn't the other deities be pestering Lathander to rescind his sanction of her?

Also a less :spergin: question about the ending Was something supposed to happen in that clearing you stop in? They give you Imoen with her BGII stats for all of 30 seconds before you start the ending cutscene, which is weird. Was Khalid going to give Jaheira that necklace if you finished it for him? Did Dynaheir being dead affect anything? Is it some kind of modding aid?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

LowellDND posted:

Pity.

As an aside, I forget who reccomended the iiSpellSystemAdjustments, but it's really enjoyable. Instead of having a Vancian style caster, I have an array of daily and encounter powers. Makes the game a lot more tolerable.

(My settings are 60 seconds per level, compounded, 3 over 1, if people want to try it out)

It really changes the flow of the game, for the better.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kavak posted:

This is kind of a problem with the setting more than the game, but why hasn't Caelar lost her Paladin abilities, or any of the other paladins on the crusade? I didn't lose mine, nor did that one other paladin. You could say "They're both right", but Caelar knows that her crusade is full of poo poo and she just wants to get her uncle back no matter the cost. The Faerunian pantheon is kind of shitheaded to not be trying to speak to some of its followers about this stuff. Shouldn't the other deities be pestering Lathander to rescind his sanction of her?

Also a less :spergin: question about the ending Was something supposed to happen in that clearing you stop in? They give you Imoen with her BGII stats for all of 30 seconds before you start the ending cutscene, which is weird. Was Khalid going to give Jaheira that necklace if you finished it for him? Did Dynaheir being dead affect anything? Is it some kind of modding aid?

Second part. I don't think so. It felt like a very sudden and abrupt end to me as well. Walk into clearing, hey is that fog, right into a short ending cutscene that was over too soon. The ending is honestly one of my big SoD criticisms - it just kind of happens.

Khalid giving Jaheira the necklace is weird. You have to talk to Khalid about it twice and then he'll say 'Oh, I'll go give it to Jaheira right away'. You'd think a cutscene or something would play here - it doesn't. You have to remove Jaheira from the party and then talk to her and she'll talk about it a bit. It felt very awkward.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Figured out how to install the mod pack from Gibberlings and am now very happy so far with the game. That whole stackable thing is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The ending movie was fine, though it should have included Irenicus appearing and dramatically throwing his hood back as I thought he was going to do at some point. The sudden stop before it was the awkward part, like those times in JRPGs where you get control for five seconds to leave a room and start another cutscene. It was probably stitched on from the original draft- it could explain why you get Imoen back for a few seconds, she might have been available as a party member in it.

What does Jaheira say when she gets the necklace? Did they try to set up her sudden lust for Charname in SoA at all by hinting at problems in the marriage or anything like that?

I hope we get some kind of inside scoop on the expansion's development some day in the future, I'm sure there'll be interesting stories about what was intended, what got cut and why, were things vetoed by WotC, etc.