Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I like Walking the Planes most of the time but yes, this will be incredibly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

That is going to be comedy gold in the same way star citizen is.

GonSmithe posted:

Not unless you want to win

Jim Davis said in his interview that jace under performed in the deck. I doubt that this bant deck 75 will stay anywhere close to the same or continue to even be a deck 2 weeks from now.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea Jace looked pretty bad in that deck, it just doesn't flip very reliably in a world without fetchlands and it doesn't help your tempo plan at all. I don't know what the replacement is though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

Ha ha look at this jerk actually needs blue to win at magic haha.

Play Jund.

Speaking of, this jund midrange deck that got 22nd looks super sweet:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=100715

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope they interview brad nelson. He's like the poster child for this.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Starting to feel more confident that I won't hate myself for cashing out my Jaces online before the weekend.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

sarmhan posted:

Yea Jace looked pretty bad in that deck, it just doesn't flip very reliably in a world without fetchlands and it doesn't help your tempo plan at all. I don't know what the replacement is though.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say a powerful creature that costs 3 or less.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

It's like they saw Free to Play and decided that they could do it too

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say a powerful creature that costs 3 or less.
:allears:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's like they saw Free to Play and decided that they could do it too

lol @ trying to replicate this is a game with fewer demographics, costs way more, and pays way less

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
Is anyone else going to Grand Prix Barcelona this weekend? I'm very much looking forward to this.

I saw there's a place (el Nucli) that hosts modern events on Thursday but I'd rather get some limited practice in. What's a good place to draft at on Thursday?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I showed up late to a draft yesterday so didn't participate, but I just saw a friend get three prize packs from it and open a Sage of Ancient Lore in all three.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Lets Pickle posted:

I showed up late to a draft yesterday so didn't participate, but I just saw a friend get three prize packs from it and open a Sage of Ancient Lore in all three.

I don't understand why they had to print a card at rare like that. Even a boring green fatty would have been a better card to print.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

GonSmithe posted:

Oh wow, looks like there's no Magic panel at PAX East for the first time in years. I guess because it's too early to talk about the next set.

Wizards also had zero presence at PAX South. They didn't even offer any support to the TO running events there.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They revamped the judge program. The link might not load because every judge in the world is looking at it right now, but here's the gist. There are only three judge levels now. Level 1 is mostly focused towards Regular REL events, Level 2s are focused on Competitive REL events, and Level 3s can lead at Premier Events and have involvement with more than just their region. There's some advanced roles like Regional Coordinator, but the big one is Grand Prix HJ, which is sort of like the old Level 4s. As the name suggests, they can HJ and Support Judge a Grand Prix.

Level 2s used to have to renew their level by judging two Comp REL events per year with other judges and write a tournament report from one of those events, but now instead of the tournament report we have to retake the L2 exam once a year.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

They revamped the judge program. The link might not load because every judge in the world is looking at it right now, but here's the gist. There are only three judge levels now. Level 1 is mostly focused towards Regular REL events, Level 2s are focused on Competitive REL events, and Level 3s can lead at Premier Events and have involvement with more than just their region. There's some advanced roles like Regional Coordinator, but the big one is Grand Prix HJ, which is sort of like the old Level 4s. As the name suggests, they can HJ and Support Judge a Grand Prix.

Level 2s used to have to renew their level by judging two Comp REL events per year with other judges and write a tournament report from one of those events, but now instead of the tournament report we have to retake the L2 exam once a year.

Outside of just using the word "focus", does this mean that competitive events must have a level 2 or no?

And laffo at them not improving the pathway for promotion. Still as exclusive as ever.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 11, 2016

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Sickening posted:

Outside of just using the word "focus", does this mean that competitive events must have a level 2 or no?

And laffo at them not improving the pathway for promotion. Still as exclusive as ever.

L1s can still do Competitive REL events. They just don't have any training in Comp REL as part of their certification, and the new descriptions are meant to better reflect that. (Incidentally, all levels will be doing yearly retesting as well.)

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

BJPaskoff posted:

They lightened the L2 renewal requirements quite a bit. You now only need one review of another judge.

All judges will have to take an exam every year, but the renewal exam will be shorter. Also, doing poorly on the renewal exam doesn't automatically delevel you. You're just referred to your Regional Coordinator for a followup.

Sickening posted:

Actual judge level requirements at events have not changed, other than Level 3s now being able to potentially HJ GPs/Pro Tours.

How would you like to see the pathway improved?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4eaxy6/odds_ends_shadows_over_innistrad_part_1/

ole squeaky voice answers some questions about SOI

and here is the relevant text if you cba to read it

"For those wondering, in the next block, Jace is not the protagonist."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm less interested in Ulrich as a commander and more interested in Ulrich being able to flip your dudes on command because Werewolves isn't even fun to play as a jank tribe in constructed due to the way transform works.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AceClown posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4eaxy6/odds_ends_shadows_over_innistrad_part_1/

Teferi reprint confirmed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Brownhat posted:

How would you like to see the pathway improved?

The mentorish nature of the program looks great on paper but in practice creates problems. What happens when the l2's in your area are shitlords and would prefer the level 1's in the area to be their inner circle of friends? What safeguards are in place to prevent that? The answer right now is... well nothing.

Good friend of mine is the type that is hit up with rules questions constantly at FNM. He is pleasant and he knows his poo poo and would make a great judge. The problem is that the only level1 and level2 in his area are shitlords the primarily play at a competing store which has open bad blood with the store owner of my friends preferred LGS. Why should he have to deal with these shitheads to get something as insignificant as his level1 certification?

Level1 should have the same process as the rules advisor does now. The only reason it doesn't is because that wouldn't be exclusive enough. Too much effort and headache for something that is essentially volunteer work.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AceClown posted:

when do they announce the next block, its close to when the Eldritch Moon comes out yeah?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

What happens when the l2's in your area are shitlords and would prefer the level 1's in the area to be their inner circle of friends?

I see you also love in or near Pittsburgh.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Sickening posted:

Too much effort and headache for something that is essentially volunteer work.

Isn't this basically the entirety of the Magic Judge program? You do all kinds of poo poo for basically no pay and then WotC treat you like their little bitch for your trouble.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Jenx posted:

Isn't this basically the entirety of the Magic Judge program? You do all kinds of poo poo for basically no pay and then WotC treat you like their little bitch for your trouble.

That's what it feels like. I just judge at my local store because he pays well (double minimum wage at least) for his events. No problem supporting the local store who already gives out way too much stuff. No desire to pay to travel to a Grand Prix to lose money.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I see you also love in or near Pittsburgh.

Nope, texas has its fair share of shitlord judges too. We had a level2 judge at a major event recently who had his fly down for most of the event. Did someone simply not tell him? Yes he was told, but the person didn't bring it up the way he preferred and therefore he refused to do anything about it.

I remember asking another judge during round 3 why in the world is whatever-his-name-is fly still down and he rolled his eyes and said "I have no comment.". Magic has the worst people sometimes. I would believe that the level1 judges that have to go to this guy for mentor-ship is miserable.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Judges should be selected through feats of strength imo

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ThePeavstenator posted:

Judges should be selected through feats of strength imo

I would finally become a judge if this was the way.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Judges in my area are for the most part good but most of them would never survive officiating a sport.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

ThePeavstenator posted:

Judges in my area are for the most part good but most of them would never survive officiating a sport.

I'm glad I've had plenty of experience officiating in other sports prior to becoming a judge. I feel like magic nerd chucklefucks are actually worse than the meatheads I used to deal with.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

Nope, texas has its fair share of shitlord judges too. We had a level2 judge at a major event recently who had his fly down for most of the event. Did someone simply not tell him? Yes he was told, but the person didn't bring it up the way he preferred and therefore he refused to do anything about it.

I remember asking another judge during round 3 why in the world is whatever-his-name-is fly still down and he rolled his eyes and said "I have no comment.". Magic has the worst people sometimes. I would believe that the level1 judges that have to go to this guy for mentor-ship is miserable.

Oh, our judges aren't literal children. They're just extremely clique-y, can't imagine ever losing a game to a filthy pleb like us non-judges, and are the kinds of people who say things like "you're extremely lucky" when you Daze their spell or "lucky top-deck" when you draw a good card.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Mikujin posted:

I'm glad I've had plenty of experience officiating in other sports prior to becoming a judge. I feel like magic nerd chucklefucks are actually worse than the meatheads I used to deal with.

I can't speak to Magic but sports can be pretty tough. Kids have insane parents and adults can get loving crazy sometimes. At least there's adrenaline and intensity to back it up. Some smug 20-30 something playing rules lawyer seems like they'd be much worse to deal with.

Bad officials in sports have a bureaucracy they have to go through to be certified so someone that's in it for the power trip won't be in it for long. If you're friends with the L2 it seems like it's pretty hard to remove those guys from judging.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't understand why they had to print a card at rare like that. Even a boring green fatty would have been a better card to print.

Why is that?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

It's a rare that is neither good, nor looks exciting to a casual player when they open it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Also, remember DFC rares replace a common, so it's not like your friend actually missed out on anything.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Obviously if it weren't for these garbage rares I'd be drowning in archangel avacyns by now

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's a rare that is neither good
Actually it is pretty good, it draws a card and is a reasonable sized threat that becomes an even bigger threat when it transforms.

quote:

nor looks exciting to a casual player when they open it.
How do you know that no one's excited to open a green werewolf that gets bigger as they draw cards?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Why can't this booster pack have a card I want I swear I'm not a gambling addict just looking for a fix by opening a sealed pack of Magic: the Gathering product *scratches own arm frantically*.

Psst hey you got some AVR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zoness posted:

Why can't this booster pack have a card I want I swear I'm not a gambling addict just looking for a fix by opening a sealed pack of Magic: the Gathering product *scratches own arm frantically*.

Psst hey you got some AVR?
I'm not an addict, I can quit any time I want to *grinds up a foil land, snorts a line*

Also I just want to pay $4 for this $25 card, is that so wrong?

• Locked thread