Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the Xanthous Crown has continued its trend of getting tinier and tinier every game. DS3 confirmed for poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bef posted:

uhh whats bloodborne like

Mostly linear progression between areas, multiple paths through each area with plentiful shortcuts inside each area.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
that sounds good but no loop around/full circle stuff like ds1? i take it

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
God I'm so excited I could hit my dick with a hammer

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

are bows real weapons now or still joke-y secondary weapons?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bef posted:

that sounds good but no loop around/full circle stuff like ds1? i take it

Yeah. Think Demon's Souls/DS1-like level design (complex areas) but without looping around to other areas and a lot of inter-area connections. Apparently DS3's areas are notably larger than Bloodborne's, too, and it has a few more side-areas.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This is very helpful thank you.

Sucks that you need to pay 20k souls though

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the Xanthous Crown has continued its trend of getting tinier and tinier every game. DS3 confirmed for poo poo

WHAT

Pre-order canceled :colbert:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
all sounds good to me :) can't wait y'all, love this series

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Mortimer posted:

are bows real weapons now or still joke-y secondary weapons?

bows have always been good

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

b0red posted:

don't lie to my face

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

b0red posted:

My Dex/Faith DS1 run was absolute trash outside of the Moonlight Bow, which let me kill Manus. Bows good.

e: It was so bad that in order to not get destroyed by Artorias, my lovely character joined forces with two other poo poo-people to form a mediocre squad. There were casualties.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 11, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bows are good for the 5% of the game you can use them, I want to know if I can go 100% bows never touching magic or melee

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Mortimer posted:

don't lie to my face

He's not, they were fine, just more utility weapons than actual primary weapons. There are weapon arts now, so I assume bows are a bit better than before.

EDIT: It doesn't seem like you can do that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bef posted:

uhh whats bloodborne like

DS2 basically, but for some reason he's averse to saying it.

Linear, but dense within the context of those areas.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hello thread. I had a great sleep. I hope you did too.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's a bit different than that. DS2 was a hub area with a bunch of completely separate straight paths shooting off from it. Bloodborne was a straight line with some dead-end offshoots.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, so defeated the first three "proper" bosses as both Claymore lady and sneaky thief. Think I'm going to stick with the latter for now - push luck to get the most out of bleed on the bandit knife, with a raw weapon as back-up. Bow for sniping and silly quick poison stacking.

I have no doubt this will cause me a ton of frustration later on but it feels like a very fluid playstyle. Something very satisfying about slipping underneath a monster, castrating the bastard and then zipping away before they can retaliate.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
bloodborne was like demon's souls with some more shortcuts, but still not as many as DS1

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if anyone else ordered from cdkeys.com and is panicing at their site being down, their facebook says it'll be up in an hour with DS3 keys available at that time.

can't wait to log on at 6:00 and see literally hundreds of 'praise the sun!' messages in the first possible area. I'll add one.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
In the forth month of the year of our Lord 2016, this will be a Video Game For Playing.

I hope there's a new weapon as dumb/cool as "an anvil chained to a stick"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

My Dex/Faith DS1 run was absolute trash outside of the Moonlight Bow, which let me kill Manus. Bows good.

e: It was so bad that in order to not get destroyed by Artorias, my lovely character joined forces with two other poo poo-people to form a mediocre squad. There were casualties.

Uh... how did you manage to gently caress up so badly. Dex/fth is one of the strongest builds in Dark Souls. Something like Falchion+DMB/SLB shits out stupid amounts of damage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eh, I wouldn't say Bloodborne's world design is the same as DS2. On a macro level, yes, there aren't really any complex interconnections between areas, though to be fair to DS2, Bloodborne is more linear than DS2.

Within each area, though, Bloodborne tends to have more complex layouts, because it prefers to loop back on itself and have the player hunt for shortcuts. DS2, by comparison, tends to be more about continuing forward and finding new bonfies. There are a couple of areas where that isn't the case, like No Man's Wharf or some of the DLC areas, but for the most part the areas tend towards "find another bonfire" rather than "find a shortcut." That's the difference I'm talking about.

(Incidentally, I'm not really sure why people treat DS1's interconnected first half like it's some sort of sacred cow. It's very cool in DS1 and the part of the game before you can warp is really compelling to me, but it's also the only game in the whole series that's had that. Demon's Souls sure as poo poo didn't and I like it more than DS1 as a whole, Bloodborne too.)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Uh... how did you manage to gently caress up so badly. Dex/fth is one of the strongest builds in Dark Souls. Something like Falchion+DMB/SLB shits out stupid amounts of damage.

some dummies think dex means non swords, i think

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
My favorite thing in a new Souls game is the carpet of messages and bloodstains in the first few areas. Just seeing the pure force of the community running into brick wall after brick wall is amazing.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I want to build a sorta Arcane Knight. Up close sword and board with a glowy sword.

Cleric Starting class since FAITH seems to be up close style? I'm just trying to feel out how to get started.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

you can literally beat the game with a +10 lightening bow and a lot of arrow spamming.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Wait, whats that in the op, pyro needs int and faith now? The gently caress? How long have we known about this? Game is out on 3 hours and my planned build just went up in low int/faith flame.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wait, whats that in the op, pyro needs int and faith now? The gently caress? How long have we known about this? Game is out on 3 hours and my planned build just went up in low int/faith flame.

We've known about it for awhile/since Dark Souls 2 technically.

I mean 15/15 int/faith is enough to get you the utility spells if that's all that you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

It's been known for quite a while now.

Pyromancy scales equally with Intelligence and Faith, and most (but not all) spells have an Intelligence and/or Faith requirement. (Notably, some very powerful spells have no requirement at all, and most of them have very low requirements.) It soft-caps at 30/30 (or whenever the sum of your Intelligence and Faith is 60, if you want to go for a different balance).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

A lot of poor life choices in stat management and weapon upgrading. I also hosed up a lot of side quests for miracles because I wasn't paying attention. The whole thing was a trainwreck I was determined to salvage.

To my credit though I beat Kalameet in single combat with that guy, which I hadn't done before or since.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

m.hache posted:

So I want to build a sorta Arcane Knight. Up close sword and board with a glowy sword.

Cleric Starting class since FAITH seems to be up close style? I'm just trying to feel out how to get started.

Your best bet for an Arcane Knight sort of character is likely going with INT and using sorceries. There are several sorceries that are intended for close-range combat, as well as several weapons that serve as both a regular weapon and a staff (allowing you to cast spells with them).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

Your best bet for an Arcane Knight sort of character is likely going with INT and using sorceries. There are several sorceries that are intended for close-range combat, as well as several weapons that serve as both a regular weapon and a staff (allowing you to cast spells with them).

Worth noting, though, that Faith is almost entirely about melee-range combat and spells, both for buffs and Lightning Spears (which do considerably more damage point-blank). It's not very "Arcane" though. Melee-range sorceries seem kind of lackluster to me, as cool as they are.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

Hm.

I was thinking more of a class that could buff itself but the sorceries thing sounds awesome.

Pyromancer as a base class? or does it make more sense to pick like Knight then factor in the INT stuff later.

EDIT: Of course more answer make this more complicated haha

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I'm going deprived into a faith/strength build.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I've been playing this game blind alongside my wife on the Xbox since the Japanese release and it's been truly one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life. I can't wait for all you shitfuckers to get your hands on it tomorrow and declare that it sucks!

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Space Harrier posted:

I've been playing this game blind alongside my wife on the Xbox since the Japanese release and it's been truly one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life. I can't wait for all you shitfuckers to get your hands on it tomorrow and declare that it sucks!

3 1/2 hours for steam

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Any quick tips from the JPN release about not loving up the NPC quests?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

m.hache posted:

Hm.

I was thinking more of a class that could buff itself but the sorceries thing sounds awesome.

Pyromancer as a base class? or does it make more sense to pick like Knight then factor in the INT stuff later.

If you just want to buff yourself, you don't need much Int/Faith at all. 15 Int/15 Faith gets you all of the pyromancy buffs and some great utilities from both sorcery and miracles.

If you want to actually cast spells and deal damage, please note that, while weapon scaling soft-caps at 40, spell scaling doesn't soft-cap until 60 (60 Int for sorceries, 60 Faith for miracles, 30/30 or some combination adding up to 60 for pyromancy). Being an actual caster requires serious investment in your magic stats this time around.

I'm also not convinced the melee-range sorceries are all that great, though they can be cool for mixing stuff up and punishing people who roll close to you in PvP. If you want to be mostly in melee, I'd go Faith or even pyromancy before I'd go sorcery, even though there are weapons that double as sorcery catalysts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I think I'm just going to roll with Deprived and see what the hell interesting loot I get early on. and pray for a good shield ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

If you just want to buff yourself, you don't need much Int/Faith at all. 15 Int/15 Faith gets you all of the pyromancy buffs and some great utilities from both sorcery and miracles.

If you want to actually cast spells and deal damage, please note that, while weapon scaling soft-caps at 40, spell scaling doesn't soft-cap until 60 (60 Int for sorceries, 60 Faith for miracles, 30/30 or some combination adding up to 60 for pyromancy). Being an actual caster requires serious investment in your magic stats this time around.

I'm also not convinced the melee-range sorceries are all that great, though they can be cool for mixing stuff up and punishing people who roll close to you in PvP. If you want to be mostly in melee, I'd go Faith or even pyromancy before I'd go sorcery, even though there are weapons that double as sorcery catalysts.

Ok that sounds more in line.

Does this mean I have to switch out to a Catalyst the buff myself, then back to my weapon? I'll roll a Knight and bump up INT/FAI to 15 to buff.