Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

m.hache posted:

Ok that sounds more in line.

Does this mean I have to switch out to a Catalyst the buff myself, then back to my weapon? I'll roll a Knight and bump up INT/FAI to 15 to buff.

Depends on what kind of buff you're talking. I'd keep the casting catalyst/talisman/pyromancy flame in your left hand and your main weapon in your right. If you want to buff your weapon (like adding magic, fire, or lightning to it), switch your left hand to your catalyst and cast the buff to apply it to your right-hand weapon. For self-buffs--both miracles and pyromancy have some good ones--you just switch out to the catalyst, cast it, then switch to whatever else you want to use while you fight.

Your other option is to go pure caster and use weapons infused with elemental damage. As you go through, you can upgrade most (but not all) weapons to have innate elemental damage that scales with your Int and/or Faith. Some of those upgrade paths are really good. For example, if you go pure pyromancer, the Chaos upgrade path is very strong when you get it--it adds fire damage that scales with Int and Faith equally and does great damage to anything that doesn't resist fire. But since it sounds like you want to go mostly melee, I'd do what you said, probably: start Knight, level Int/Faith until you can cast the buffs that you want, and then just focus on your weapons and physical stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I don't know whether to build Strength or Dex first. Anyone know if the Zweihander plays more like DS1 or 2?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It sounds like it's going to be tricky to use big weapons and give int/faith the respect they deserve to throw worthwhile fire spells.

I want to use fire and I want to use big strength weapons too! The decisions I have to make are too hard! AAAAAH!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MelvinBison posted:

I don't know whether to build Strength or Dex first. Anyone know if the Zweihander plays more like DS1 or 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFGqstnqwzM

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

It sounds like it's going to be tricky to use big weapons and give int/faith the respect they deserve to throw worthwhile fire spells.

I want to use fire and I want to use big strength weapons too! The decisions I have to make are too hard! AAAAAH!

If it helps, Great Chaos Fire Orb and Chaos Fire Storm have no requirements at all. You can cast them with base Int/Faith no matter who you are and they hit real hard, too. On top of that, pyromancy's scaling is probably less drastic than both sorcery and miracle scaling, and it's probably more important that you wear pyromancy-boosting rings to boost your damage.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Why do hedge clippers need 32 str

.... gently caress. I forgot about those :sigh:

I was talking about the DS1 Berenike knight's having a sweet jumbo mace though :v:

queeb posted:

so the partizan move set looks retarded good.
I'm glad the Longsword got it's one handed trust back, but I'm sad they took the basic spear's on demand one handed swipe away. So I'm hoping there is a wide variety of spears with that outside of the Partizan, as cool as it always is.

Unrelated, I am a huge idiot at grasping the full implications of Refined. Spoilers I guess in case people don't want upgrades mechanics visible, it seems to go back and forth. Is it basically pointless for a C/D or E/D weapon, or does it nudge up the lower value? What happens if you use it on a weapon with only one type of stat scaling?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

What the gently caress how am I still waiting for this game gently caress this poo poo.

Gimme that sweet sweet Herald action. Wanna throw some lightning bolts right in everyone's face and then chop them up real good.

DeckardPain
Feb 29, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

Without spoiling anything I doubt you'll have a problem with that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any downside at all to running pure strength and raw on a giant club or something, then respeccing to an int/faith to rep chaos once you have the mats to make weapons?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

:stare:
STR build it is then.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Walrus posted:

Is there any downside at all to running pure strength and raw on a giant club or something, then respeccing to an int/faith to rep chaos once you have the mats to make weapons?

Nope. You can only respec 5 times per playthrough though, and it requires a covenant item each time, so be certain you know what you're doing beforehand.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Wildtortilla posted:

DeckardPain posted:

Without spoiling anything I doubt you'll have a problem with that.

Yeah I just meta'd a Knight start that would let me do just that and still come in at like SL76 (maybe a bit higher as I play and find I need more of something), so at least I think it's totally doable.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

limited posted:

After shamelessly spoiling myself on the bosses ( gently caress it, I need all the help I can get ) some of the size scaling and gimmicks of certain bosses has me pretty hype for when Bloodborne 2 inevitably gets made.

Looks like the guide has been delayed like last time though, it was supposed to release at the same time and I'm getting a 'we've got no bloody idea when we'll actually have this' from Amazon.

Where? UK? Amazon has already shipped the guide to me and it'll be here tomorrow with my collector's edition. This is US.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Weapons which double as a casting weapon but also melee weapon - what are they and where is the first one or few obtainable?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've done a really good job of keeping myself in the dark about this game, but I'd like two very specific pieces of information please.

1. Is it possible to miss the summoning soapstone(and if so, where is it so I don't miss it)

2. How far into the game do I have to get before I join the coop covenant? Is it simple and easy to find(if not, please spoil it for me)

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Holy poo poo that looks satisfying

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I slept and ate and am ready for Dark Souls. I hope everyone else is ready as well.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Who else is going to fall for Patches' trap intentionally just to see everything this game has?

A follow up: who else will get angry when they die in Patches' trap knowing they intentionally walked into it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MelvinBison posted:

:stare:
STR build it is then.

DrGreatJob posted:

Agreed, but I think my first playthrough will still be the Claymore, if only because of its amazing battle arte: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXHboymFsI

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Wildtortilla posted:

Who else is going to fall for Patches' trap intentionally just to see everything this game has?

A follow up: who else will get angry when they die in Patches' trap knowing they intentionally walked into it?

I am going to do exactly this.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Ineffiable posted:

Where? UK? Amazon has already shipped the guide to me and it'll be here tomorrow with my collector's edition. This is US.
Yeah, UK. And also :argh: in your general direction.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrGreatJob posted:

The sword arts in DS3 add soooo much to the combat, its great. Its really the final cherry on top of the dark souls cake that it was missing all along.

Funny enough, this is going to be the first souls game of all of them (including BB; LHB counts) where I don't play through on my first run with greatswords.

Not that claymore or zweihander are bad; far from it, they're better than ever. But so is everything else!

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
do we know if this is more a sequel to DS1 or DS2? I played the hell out of DS1 but I never finished DS2. two seemed sort of disconnected from the first. will this be its own thing or refer back to the sequels? also I really hope my 660 ti can handle this game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Smoremaster posted:

do we know if this is more a sequel to DS1 or DS2? I played the hell out of DS1 but I never finished DS2. two seemed sort of disconnected from the first. will this be its own thing or refer back to the sequels? also I really hope my 660 ti can handle this game

If you really dug into DS2 it wasn't "really disconnected" at all, there were lots of references and it was clearly intended to take place on the same spot, years later.

That said, DS3 is even more of a direct sequel to DS1/DS2 than the other souls games, which has turned some people off but I think its totally cool.

There's lots of callbacks. I don't wanna say more than that.

Your 660ti will be fine. You may not be able to run it at 4K with DSR, but otherwise you'll be fine.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Smoremaster posted:

Sup 660 TI buddy. Your concern is my concern let's hope our cards continue to hold their own in a few hours! :highfive:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

How much of a discount can I get by waiting a few days and getting it on steam through a third party? I have the Japanese PS4 version, so I'm in no super rush, but I am definitely interested on playing on PC at some point, and would ideally prefer not to wait for a sale.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lhet posted:

How much of a discount can I get by waiting a few days and getting it on steam through a third party? I have the Japanese PS4 version, so I'm in no super rush, but I am definitely interested on playing on PC at some point, and would ideally prefer not to wait for a sale.

gently caress you

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

How good is the character creator this time around? I'm all antsy waiting for this thing to drop but I know I'm going to spend my first hour making a hideous monster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Smoremaster posted:

DS1 references everywhere, DS2 references are scattered around but DS3 is basically a direct sequel to DS1.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Chard posted:

How good is the character creator this time around? I'm all antsy waiting for this thing to drop but I know I'm going to spend my first hour making a hideous monster.

Lots of sliders, not quite enough to make yourself a shark or something, but certainly enough to make yourself terrible and absolutely any color.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

If you really dug into DS2 it wasn't "really disconnected" at all, there were lots of references and it was clearly intended to take place on the same spot, years later.

ppl still aren't agreed on that because DS2 went so far into obscure for obscurity's sake, but eh, I still liked it and I'm not gonna be the guy starting a DS2 argument on this most sacred of days.

Chard posted:

Yeah I want to know if I can make Waluigi specifically

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

cool, thanks for the replies. kinda regretting not getting into ds2 as i did the first game, but oh well.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Chard posted:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

:eyepop:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Been looking at a giant DS3 in my planner for a few months. Can't believe it's here. Like Christmas in April. Also I'm super excited that my new job doesn't have me doing ridiculous amounts of field work the week of a major videogame release. What a time to be alive.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Did my homework and my fears have been calmed. It seems that my Radeon R9 270x 2GB card should be able to handle 60fps at near high settings, but not at max. Worst case scenario I could just lower the framerate to 30 and have no trouble at all. 60 is nice, but not at all necessary for me to have a good time.

Besides that, I'll bet that once Durante does whatever it is he always does I will be able to make up for any slack that my gpu can't handle.

So in 3 hours, I should be having a great time!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Pre-load complete on steam... is there anything I can/need to do to unlock it now?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
is Durante still mad at the souls scene or whatever

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Smoremaster posted:

cool, thanks for the replies. kinda regretting not getting into ds2 as i did the first game, but oh well.

Could always just pick up Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin later down the road. It's a really good remastered version with all the DLC.

There will always be time for more Dark Soulsing :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

God I'm so excited I could hit my dick with a hammer