Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Given the stodgy styling and the fact that the rear windows are all blacked out, I'd say it's some kind of technology testbed rather than a car prototype. Like they've got some advanced hybrid battery pack or electric drive in there, and they're in the early stages of testing to see how it behaves on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
it was following the Infiniti Red Bull Racing SUV studiously, whatever it was.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's a Ford transit wagon whatever it is

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Glass / body looks like it's a 4th generation Nissan Serena. Makes sense if it's following an Infiniti, and it would be RHD since it's only offered in Japan. The front vent glass gives it away.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It's definitely a Serena.

They aren't great fun to drive.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Mind your own business TYIA

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

It's definitely a Serena.

They aren't great fun to drive.

IIRC the diesel model was for a while the slowest automobile sold in the UK. 0-60 in 23.5 seconds.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Nondescript Van posted:

Okay

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Nondescript Van posted:

Nice.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Whiz Palace posted:

IIRC the diesel model was for a while the slowest automobile sold in the UK. 0-60 in 23.5 seconds.

I do believe that would get you killed in Houston where you have approx 8 feet to accelerate to 60

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I do believe that would get you killed in Houston where you have approx 8 feet to accelerate to 60
Stop signs on an onramp are the stupidest thing I've ever seen. So glad I don't have to deal with them fuckers on a regular basis. Stoplights to space out traffic entering a highway seem more common but they're just as bad, even if there's an acceleration lane.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I saw one of the new Civics rolling around Arlington VA today. Holy poo poo, those things are huge! It's like the size of a Mazda 6.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I thought the new Civic was okay until I saw it in person, they're too large and oddly proportioned with jumbled lines.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Whiz Palace posted:

That is Le Car territory.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

I thought the new Civic was okay until I saw it in person, they're too large and oddly proportioned with jumbled lines.

The back takes styling cues from the loving Crosstour for some unknown reason.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fknlo posted:

The back takes styling cues from the loving Crosstour for some unknown reason.

For me, it feels like they figured that shape out and made it work better. They didn't have to go there, but it's an improvement on the Crosstour.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's grown on me in the past few weeks. Sat in one at the dealer and they've improved quite a few things from the previous gen, but the steering wheel controls feel so lovely, and the radio seems like it would be a nightmare to live with. At least they have a dedicated physical toggle to shut off the massive LCD screen for late night highway driving.

Definitely feels like an accord inside, and the exterior is a little less bland than before at least?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Yeah the styling is busy as hell and its huge but it pulls it off. I think it looks better than the F30 3 series, which suffers from the above.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Twerk from Home posted:

That's a super dead road and that's not an onramp. Houston and most of TX has these lovely things called feeder roads. I can assure you, most entering cars on a freeway have a good 1 mile head start on accelerating to speed. Of course there are exceptions to that rule, like the Westpark tollway entrance to 59 right into the chimney rock exit. What a clusterfuck that entrance is all of 59 is.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Fit has been the new Civic for quite a while.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I drove a new Civic today. Rode well, handled well, accelerated nicely with the turbo/automatic, had plenty of room. On the downside, the seats had nono thigh support if you're taller than 6ft, no lower back support, they were generally mushy and unsupportive. The stereo and steering wheel controls were a mess. Interior used nicer bits than the last generation and everything seemed to be put together well. The seats and controls along with the exterior styling would cross the Civic off my list.

edit: at least the Civic is just ugly - the Corolla manages to be bland and ugly

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 9, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why the gently caress cant you buy the new WRX in Hyper Blue with a manual? only autos fuckin everywhere here.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Because the manuals are the only ones that sell.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

Because the manuals are the only ones that sell.

you cant configure it in that colour (in Australia, at least) with a manual.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did you try asking the dealer if they can order it in that combo?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It's limited to 200 autos or 50 STIs. No manual wrx :(

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Updated A3, most people fell asleep because the car looks only slightly different at best: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-audi-a3-sedan-and-convertible-photos-and-info-news

I'm not a huge fan of the weird headlight shape, and a lot of manufacturers seem top be getting weird with them lately.

Probably more significant is the RS3 is coming to the US next year as a 2018 model: http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirmed-launch-details-of-the-audi-rs3-sedan/

The no manual is surely a deal killer for many, which I can definitely understand. I have to wonder if they'll address the engine position since reviews of the current RS3 have essentially said the engine is great and makes fantastic noise, but that it's position causes a lot of (Audi typical) understeer and so the Golf R/Audi S3 end up being the better buy handling wise.

I'll be really interested to see how BMW, MB and like competitors respond. Perhaps an M2 Gran Coupe with more customization options? Or the next gen CLA keeps it's price point while improving interior quality? Maybe the next gen SS steals some sales too from those that aren't badge loyal? I know car nerds love wagons, but fast sedans warm my heart! :)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

$50,000 for a 2.0T AWD jetta. How much is the Focus RS going to sell for again?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

BloodBag posted:

Less.

On one hand, it's a 2.5T Jetta with close to 400 HP. On the other hand, sedan. Bleh. Too bad, I like the look of the hatch. Not that I'm buying anything until I build a proper garage, which adds a bit to the cost of the next car ...

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

BloodBag posted:

Troll post? The RS3 is a five cylinder with quite a bit more power than the Focus in it's current gen. MSRP on the base Focus RS is ~35k, but let's be honest, it's going to be $40k with goodies and dealer markup. If we're calling the Golf R/S3 a Jetta then we should probably just ignore all of the good things about the RS and focus (:haw: GET IT) only on the parts of it's interior that it shares with the regular Focus. :(

I think we can all agree 5 cylinder engines are weird and cool and the Focus RS is weird and cool too. :colbert:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'd expect the interior to be significantly better than whatever poo poo is in the RS too.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
The big problem with the Audi for me is Audi made it. I don't trust the Chrysler of Germany.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sadi posted:

The big problem with the Audi for me is Audi made it. I don't trust the Chrysler of Germany.

Which German automaker isn't the Chrysler of Germany?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

quote:

The current A3 convertible, meanwhile, starts at $37,525, and tops out at $49,375 for a Quattro 2.0T Prestige model.

That's what hosed me up, the convertible model, not the RS3.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm trying to think of what wouldn't be the Chrysler of Germany and I'm coming up with nothing. I mean you've got Audi that requires service position for everything and puts timing chains with lovely guides against firewalls along with all other VW malarkey. You've got BMW's GDCS/iDrive computer failures/turbo failures/HPFP failures/subframe tearing. VW with some of the most off the wall horseshit I've ever even heard of like coolant migration. Porsche: IMS bearing failures. Mercedes...What's Mercedes got?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

Mercedes...What's Mercedes got?

Well, Chrysler's money for one thing :v:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
W210 awd E-class front spring.

I would still consider Mercedes the least "why the gently caress" of the Germans

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That spring setup never ceases to amaze me.

For whatever reason reunification ruined German engineers. They went from making simple straightforward cars that just work to overly complicated crap that inevitably light itself on fire or pissed fluid out of taillights as soon as that wall fell.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

That spring setup never ceases to amaze me.

For whatever reason reunification ruined German engineers. They went from making simple straightforward cars that just work to overly complicated crap that inevitably light itself on fire or pissed fluid out of taillights as soon as that wall fell.

They stole the East Germans' ideas (one Trabant documentary interviewed a major Trabant engineer, who outright claims the "Mk 3" Trabant prototype became the revolutionary Mk1 Rabbit as VW poached their engineers) and then sat on their laurels for multiple decades while marketing stole ad copy from watch manufacturers trying to explain why their movements kept inferior time to a three cent chunk of Japanesium.

It's probably the same reason why the rest of the first world's R&D quality has gone to poo poo over the last two decades. Why be the sucker to spend the cash to make a good product when credit is cheap and you can entrench your company overnight through leveraged buyouts of your competitors who wasted their money on product?

But in reality it was probably engineering hubris trying to differentiate themselves from Japanese cars. "If we don't do this cool new feature I just came up with right now, the Japanese will mass produce it for a thirtieth of the cost in five years and then we'll really be hosed."

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 11, 2016

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

MINI? They're the rover of Germany :sax:

BloodBag posted:

I'm trying to think of what wouldn't be the Chrysler of Germany and I'm coming up with nothing. I mean you've got Audi that requires service position for everything and puts timing chains with lovely guides against firewalls along with all other VW malarkey. You've got BMW's GDCS/iDrive computer failures/turbo failures/HPFP failures/subframe tearing. VW with some of the most off the wall horseshit I've ever even heard of like coolant migration. Porsche: IMS bearing failures. Mercedes...What's Mercedes got?

Don't forget removing the oil dipstick from most cars so that it can only be checked electronically. I think most current gen VW/Audi 2.0Ts have one, but I'm sure it's going away soon. I think almost all of them are actively doing this to the entire lineups? I know BMW is, I can't recall on MBs. :downsgun:

CornHolio posted:

Well, Chrysler's money for one thing :v:

Hahaha :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Humbug posted:

W210 awd E-class front spring.

I would still consider Mercedes the least "why the gently caress" of the Germans

:wut:

Anyway, here's a golden oldie "Sooner or later every car falls apart. Ours does it later!"

How have the W212's held up reliability and build quality wise?