Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Schwarzwald posted:

I haven't seen the Ewok movies since the mid 90s. Am I correct in remembering that the first movie ends with the rescue of a girls kidnapped family, and that the second movie begins with that family being unceremoniously killed?
This is accurate. Freaked the hell out of me when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Anakin outwits the evil adults (with their centrally-controlled army of robotic slaves) simply by being a kid and, thus, clumsy and unpredictable. Whereas Luke triumphs over a Death Star at the end of ANH by putting all his faith in a life-force, Anakin triumphs over a Control Ship by disobeying the adults and making a series of naive mistakes,

This is not true. The Naboo fighter is on autopilot and controlled by R2, he only presses a few buttons.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Baron Porkface posted:

This is not true. The Naboo fighter is on autopilot and controlled by R2, he only presses a few buttons.

Pretty sure R2 turns off the autopilot. Isn't Anakin is in control when he spins (because it's a good trick)?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Toilet Mouth posted:

Pretty sure R2 turns off the autopilot. Isn't Anakin is in control when he spins (because it's a good trick)?

I don't even remember.

In what way does Anakin actually "outwit' the Trade Federation?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't even remember.

I don't know, that wasn't my post. I don't imagine "outwit" is the right phrase- Anakins' solidly of the "feel, don't think" school.

Anakin is like how the guy at the poker table who knows nothing about poker is the most dangerous guy. He doesn't have to "unlearn what he has learned" because he hasn't learned anything to begin with.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 11, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Anakin

Jake Lloyd got diagnosed with Schizophrenia and I have to say Ep2 and 3 would have been way more awesome if Anakin looked like that instead of Hayden Christensen with a rat tail

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Speaking of Anakin

Jake Lloyd got diagnosed with Schizophrenia and I have to say Ep2 and 3 would have been way more awesome if Anakin looked like that instead of Hayden Christensen with a rat tail

the phantom menace made me mentally ill [serious]

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man those movies and the fandom REALLY hosed that kid up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I swore that it was pretty much well known he has schizophrenia. It came out after he beat his mom and crashed into a tree.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Toilet Mouth posted:

the phantom menace made me mentally ill [serious]

lol

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Baron Porkface posted:

Artoo takes the fighter off autopilot and Anakin makes a choice not to return to the safety of the hangar:

The Phantom Menace posted:

ANAKIN : (Cont'd) Yes...I've got control. You did it, Artoo!

ARTOO beeps

ANAKIN : (Cont'd) Go back!?! Qui-Gon told me to stay in this cockpit and
that's what I'm gonna do. Now c'mon!

And just in case you were thinking of arguing the point: Anakin's claim that he's simply following Qui-Gon's instructions by joining the space battle is, obviously, not reflective of the actual reality of the situation, which Anakin knows full well. In fact, the line is clever in that it draws attention to the fact that Anakin is flouting Qui-Gon's instructions, while at the same time not coming across as unnatural narration.

I'm not really sure what your point is anyway, because my whole point is that Anakin's random button mashing is what saves the day. The fighter only takes off from the hangar in the first place because Anakin is trying to find the control for the lasers so he can defend Padme from the droidekas, and in the process he accidentally activates the take-off sequence.

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't even remember.

He "outwits" them by being clumsy and unpredictable. Just like I said in my post. My use of the word "outwit" was, of course, intentionally ironic. Jar Jar "outwits" the battle droids in the same way.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 11, 2016

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
This is a little off topic for where the discussion is now, but it's something I don't think I've seen brought up in this thread:

A lot of people claim that one negative element of TFA is that it "undoes" the progress and success of Luke, Leia, et al. in ROTJ. The thing is, if you listen to Yoda's advice in ESB, you should already know that this will happen. Yoda directly tells Luke that "If you leave now, help them you could; but you would destroy all for which they have fought, and suffered."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chill Penguin posted:

This is a little off topic for where the discussion is now, but it's something I don't think I've seen brought up in this thread:

A lot of people claim that one negative element of TFA is that it "undoes" the progress and success of Luke, Leia, et al. in ROTJ. The thing is, if you listen to Yoda's advice in ESB, you should already know that this will happen. Yoda directly tells Luke that "If you leave now, help them you could; but you would destroy all for which they have fought, and suffered."

An interesting way to look at it!

I personally really want to see more of the intervening time between RotJ and TFA before I start throwing around "ruined" or "undoes" or whatever...while Episode VII throws us straight into the kickoff of open hostilities between the First Order and the Republic and Resistance, who knows how much relative peacetime there was in there too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chill Penguin posted:

Yoda is not necessarily correct. Also he says in the next movie that Luke's a Jedi and he really just needs to kill his dad and peace out.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Chill Penguin posted:

I like your attempt, but I think for it to have merit as the author's intent, it has to be followed through on screen with ROTJ ending with the destruction of the Rebellion Starfleet and the Death Star not being blown up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm amazed that TFA managed to reduce the already rather shallow Rebel-Imperial conflict to the level of G.I Joes vs. Cobra.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 11, 2016

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Chill Penguin posted:

I hear you but Yoda and Obi-Wan are consistently manipulative, wrong and bad about basically everything, including that

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Cheesus posted:

I like your attempt, but I think for it to have merit as the author's intent, it has to be followed through on screen with ROTJ ending with the destruction of the Rebellion Starfleet and the Death Star not being blown up.

Hmm, good point, but 2 notions immediately come to mind:
1) The Star Wars saga was intentionally left open-ended by Lucas. Lines like this are open to interpretation by future collaborators.
2) Star Wars is a collaborative story. Kasdan, Abrams, the Clone Wars people, et al. People pick up on hanging plot threads. See #1

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Chill Penguin posted:

Well, for one thing, Luke didn't really manage to help his friends (except as a complete fluke due to his bringing Artoo along). In fact, his friends ended up having to turn back from their escape so that they could rescue him.

And the danger Yoda spoke of was specifically that Luke, by rushing to face Vader with his unfinished training, would end up succumbing to the lure of the dark side. That didn't happen, but only because Luke was willing to commit suicide instead.

What all this has to do with anything that happens in the post-ROTJ/pre-TFA timeline I have no idea.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm calling it, Jyn Erso is the daughter of that imperial officer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Chill Penguin posted:

There are two problems I have with this. The first is that the consequences of Luke leaving to help his friends were already shown, and they weren't so subtle as to only lead to the fall of the New Republic thirty years down the line. They were immediate and visible.

My second problem is that line already has payoff, in AotC. Yoda already made Luke's mistake when he sent the Jedi and the Clone Army to rescue Padme, Anakin, and Obiwan, and the consequences of doing so lead to the very galactic war Padme and the Jedi had tried to prevent.

Arguably, that mistake happened earlier as well, when the Jedi council advises Padme to leave Coruscant because her opposition to the creation of a Republic Army makes her a target, and in her absence the measure to create such an Army passes.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 11, 2016

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, for one thing, Luke didn't really manage to help his friends (except as a complete fluke due to his bringing Artoo along). In fact, his friends ended up having to turn back from their escape so that they could rescue him.

And the danger Yoda spoke of was specifically that Luke, by rushing to face Vader with his unfinished training, would end up succumbing to the lure of the dark side. That didn't happen, but only because Luke was willing to commit suicide instead.

What all this has to do with anything that happens in the post-ROTJ/pre-TFA timeline I have no idea.

The line about completing his training/turning to the dark side is a separate concept. I think what I'm getting at is that Yoda's prediction that Luke leaving Dagobah will lead to the reversal of all of their progress is correct, in that Luke "saving" Anakin disrupts the balance that Darth Vader brought to the force. This imbalance leads to Kylo Ren murdering Luke's students, and ultimately the total destruction of the Republic. What we are left with is a new balance: two insurgent factions, two masters, and two apprentices.

Here's another question: had Luke remained on Dagobah and completed his training, would he still have had that fateful encounter with Vader in which he learns the truth about his father?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Chill Penguin posted:

As noted, Yoda is talking about Luke joining Darth Vader. And then think about what this means: why would joining vader ruin everything? the only answer is that Vader represents a horrifying truth that Yoda is trying to conceal (as Gary Oldman does in The Dark Knight). Yoda lies because he's afraid the rebellion is too weak to handle the truth.

The implication in TFA is that Kylo came to this same realization, and so deliberately set out to 'destroy all for which they have fought, and suffered.'

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Schwarzwald posted:

There are two problems I have with this. The first is that the consequences of Luke leaving to help his friends were already shown, and they weren't so subtle as to have only lead to the fall of the New Republic thirty years down the line. They were immediate and visible.

What happened to Luke's friends as a result of his early departure from Dagobah? From what I can recall, they are captured on Cloud City regardless of Luke's presence.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Schwarzwald posted:

My second problem is that line already has payoff, in AotC. Yoda already made Luke's mistake when he sent the Jedi and the Clone Army to rescue Padme, Anakin, and Obiwan, and the consequences of doing so lead to the very galactic war Padme and the Jedi had tried to prevent.

Arguably, that mistake happened earlier as well, when the Jedi council advises Padme to leave Coruscant because her opposition to the creation of a Republic Army makes her a target, and in her absence the measure to create such an Army passes.

These are interesting examples of I guess what you could call retroactive foreshadowing, but they don't fulfill Yoda's warning.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
For the sake of argument, lets say that Star Wars 8 (or 9, or 10, or N) does reveal that Chill Penguins idea was correct, and that the reason the New Republic was ultimately destroyed could be directly mapped back to Luke leaving to rescue his friends back in Star Wars 5.

Would any of us be satisfied with that?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Chill Penguin posted:

Hmm, good point, but 2 notions immediately come to mind:
1) The Star Wars saga was intentionally left open-ended by Lucas. Lines like this are open to interpretation by future collaborators.
2) Star Wars is a collaborative story. Kasdan, Abrams, the Clone Wars people, et al. People pick up on hanging plot threads. See #1

1) Well, not really at all, actually. He was actually extremely controlling of his vision and had very specific ideas about how everything was supposed to play out and what it was supposed to mean. For a long while he was pretty vocally set against anyone else ever making any sequels set after ROTJ, and only changed his tune when it became apparent his company's long-term future depended on it. You've just described the complete opposite of reality, at least when it comes to Lucas's creative mindset.

2) It's not a hanging plot thread. Yoda was afraid Luke wasn't ready to face Vader. He was proven right. Vader almost had him. If Luke hadn't jumped, he would have been compelled to join Vader. Luke managed to narrowly avoid that fate (seemingly by the grace of the Force itself), but that doesn't mean Yoda's words were without merit. Luke hosed up so badly that his only options were to either turn evil or kill himself. Ultimately, Luke learned from his near-catastrophic failure in TESB and went on to triumph in ROTJ. Plot thread closed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Chill Penguin posted:

What happened to Luke's friends as a result of his early departure from Dagobah? From what I can recall, they are captured on Cloud City regardless of Luke's presence.

The consequences were that Luke nearly loses his faith, nearly loses his life, and impedes their escape.

Chill Penguin posted:

These are interesting examples of I guess what you could call retroactive foreshadowing, but they don't fulfill Yoda's warning.

They don't fulfill Yoda's warning, but they more fully contextualize it. It's similar to how Yoda advises Luke that "wars not make one great," while Yoda himself was a powerful general combatant and general.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yoda's warning is pretty self-contained - if Luke hadn't showed up Lando would have helped Leia and Chewie escape (without having to go back and save Luke). Instead Luke risked joining Vader and dooming the Rebellion.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

McDowell posted:

Yoda's warning is pretty self-contained - if Luke hadn't showed up Lando would have helped Leia and Chewie escape (without having to go back and save Luke). Instead Luke risked joining Vader and dooming the Rebellion.

They may have died anyway without Artoo there to help them. I don't think you're supposed to get hung up too much on that aspect, though. You're supposed to focus on what Luke accomplishes by specifically rushing to face Vader.

In any case, the authorial intent is made pretty clear in the official ROTJ screenplay:

Return of the Jedi posted:

LUKE
But I had to help my friends.

BEN (grinning at Luke's indignation)
And did you help them? It was they who had to save you. You achieved
little by rushing back prematurely, I fear.

The point is that Luke himself didn't actually manage to do anything except impede his friends' escape. And he was lucky that was all the damage he did.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
You achieved little except learned Vader is your father which I wasn't going to tell you for reasons. Turns out Jedi are just a bunch of liars who exist in a "but technically" universe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yoda's warning is right, but the prequels re- contextualize it to be less a sage prophecy and more the cynicism of someone tired of being reminded how much they got themselves and all of galactic society clowned (that Luke has shown up on his doorstep all blustery and wanting to learn to kick rear end is probably a pretty harsh reminder of how things turned out with Anakin). Yoda could have come clean with Luke about Vader, but he doesn't, he withdraws back to the same old forget about your friendship.

That doesn't mean he's always wrong or incompetent, but again he's blind to the obvious course of action (tell Luke about Vader) in his fervor to give Luke a proper training regimen, because he assumes the only way to deal with Vader, an angry and powerful warrior who uses the force, is his death. He wasn't in the room with Anakin and Mace to see how that turned out. The audience learns a lot about the force because we see the movies via a bunch of different characters, but Yoda himself doesn't learn anything because as the top dog in the Jedi council he shuts himself out and stays at the top of an ivory tower. His conditions of his exile aren't much different even with the sheer amount of natural life around him, he's still stubborn in that regard. That's awesome.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 11, 2016

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Jake Lloyds been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Pretty fuckin sad.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/star-wars-actor-jake-lloyd-diagnosed-with-schizophrenia-report-w202212

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
If Luke hadn't gone to Bespin Leia, Chewie and Lando would have been captured and/or killed by the Empire. R2 fixes the Falcon's hyperdrive, remember?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gargamel Gibson posted:

If Luke hadn't gone to Bespin Leia, Chewie and Lando would have been captured and/or killed by the Empire. R2 fixes the Falcon's hyperdrive, remember?

The empire's sabotage was fixed by flipping a single lever. Lando and Leia could have fought off TIEs long enough for Chewie to figure it out.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

jivjov posted:

The empire's sabotage was fixed by flipping a single lever. Lando and Leia could have fought off TIEs long enough for Chewie to figure it out.
That seems unlikely given that Vader's ship was about to turn on the tractor beam just seconds before R2 flipped the switch that he knew about only because he talked to the Cloud City computer.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jivjov posted:

The Executor's tractor beam lock-on was imminent when Artoo activated the hyperdrive.

Edit: I should've known not to bother in the Star Wars thread.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Cheesus posted:

That seems unlikely given that Vader's ship was about to turn on the tractor beam just seconds before R2 flipped the switch that he knew about only because he talked to the Cloud City computer.

I don't mean to be "that guy motherfucker sleemo" but wouldn't they have had more time to escape without having to turn back for Luke?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Chill Penguin posted:

I don't mean to be "that guy motherfucker sleemo" but wouldn't they have had more time to escape without having to turn back for Luke?

Nah because Vader wouldn't have been tied up fighting Luke, they probably would've waited for a while, realized their trap wasn't going to work, and then hosed off with their prisoners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Good points all around. The line just stuck out to me after re-watching the saga in this order:
TFA
Star Wars
Episode 1+2
The Clone Wars (minus 'Lost Episodes')
Sith
Empire
TCW Lost Episodes
Jedi

• Locked thread