Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peta
Dec 26, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I care about persons. I don't care about organisms. You keep insisting I should care about the second and not the first, but you continue to refuse to tell me why.

You don't care about newborns? Dogs? Dolphins? Elephants? Plant life (real stretch here, folks, I know)? If you don't care about any of these things then your morality is disturbingly impoverished. If you are going to promote a definition of personhood, or of a strain of personhood equivalent to full human personhood, that incorporates any of the things I just listed, then I'm gonna laugh in your face. Yes, persons are more valuable than dogs. But they aren't more valuable because they somehow aren't organisms. They're simply organisms have evolved such that they fall within the innermost circle of our moral community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Getting way off topic with the morality tangent.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Now we're getting into Yangming's conception of selfhood :getin:

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Berk Berkly posted:

So no, if a shotgun blasts your head off but instantaneously reconstitutes you in the same instant, you are not dead.

When you reach the point in an argument where the other guy posits that a fatal shotgun blast to the head is not fatal you really feel like you can start to relax a bit.

GlyphGryph posted:

You've managed to contradict yourself in the same post, that's a pretty new record.

(If a person is a category of organism, how can a person come into being without an organism coming into being? This is exactly the sort of incoherent nonsense that makes you impossible to follow.)

... or do you consider zygotes and the brain dead to be persons, or something equally insane?

Wow. Your brain is really something special.

I will try to break this down for you.

Frog: egg => larva => tadpole => adult. One organism.

Human: zygote => embryo => fetus => (baby =>) child => (adolescent =>) adult. One organism. I've put in bold what seems to qualify as a person (as far as I'm concerned, and only for argument's sake; I don't care what your definition is). Personhood is a stage in the life of some organisms. Persons are organisms existing in that stage.

This isn't hard.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Peta posted:

You don't care about newborns? Dogs? Dolphins? Elephants? Plant life (real stretch here, folks, I know)? If you don't care about any of these things then your morality is disturbingly impoverished. If you are going to promote a definition of personhood, or of a strain of personhood equivalent to full human personhood, that incorporates any of the things I just listed, then I'm gonna laugh in your face. Yes, persons are more valuable than dogs. But they aren't more valuable because they somehow aren't organisms. They're simply organisms have evolved such that they fall within the innermost circle of our moral community.

All of those things have value. None of those things have value based on them being an organism.

I did not say I only cared about persons, just that I didn't care about organisms - at least in the way you're implying I should.

I obviously very much care about the organism that is currently sustaining my personhood, despite the insistence of the 'shoot yourself in the face' brigade, what with the hole 'sustaining my personhood' thing it's got going on. I don't care about this organism in the situation where it ceases to maintain my personhood (see: brain death). My personhood is the thing that ultimately matters, my "organism" is only important to me as a means to that end.

Which brings us right back to the contradiction in your thinking you're attempting to skate by without thinking about, so I'm going to end with just one question at a time and repeat it because the point you're trying to ignore is pretty central to the whole argument: Do you consider a braindead body to be a person, specifically the same person and same organism, as the living, thinking human being it was before the accident?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Peta posted:

When you reach the point in an argument where the other guy posits that a fatal shotgun blast to the head is not fatal you really feel like you can start to relax a bit.

Human: zygote => embryo => fetus => (baby =>) child => (adolescent =>) adult. One organism. I've put in bold what seems to qualify as a person (as far as I'm concerned, and only for argument's sake; I don't care what your definition is). Personhood is a stage in the life of some organisms. Persons are organisms existing in that stage.

This isn't hard.

How do you feel about abortion, masturbation and menstruation? Are those murder?

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

How do you feel about abortion, masturbation and menstruation? Are those murder?

Nope.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Peta posted:

This isn't hard.

So you are redacting your previous claim. A person is no longer a category of organism. It is no longer identical to the organism. A person is now a "stage in the life" of an organism, something that can come (and presumably go) despite the continued existence of that organism. Is this correct?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Ah, but what if you teleport the sperm at the moment of orgasm into the waiting egg of a woman? Is the child that results from that truly your own?

:smuggo:

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Peta posted:

You are being obtuse, if not deliberately trolling. The WHOLE topic we are discussing involves the question of the ACTUAL fatality of dissembling something and reconstituting it. A magical shotgun analogy is not even the weirdest mechanism I've heard when people argue on this subject.

But you aren't really arguing sincerely are you my friend? I'm not positing a fatal shotgun blast is not somehow fatal after the fact, I'm arguing what constitutes it even being fatal in the first place is negated by the magical instantaneous reconstitution.

And by relaxing you mean pretending you don't have to actually engage with the actual argument by shrugging your shoulders. "Yea man, heh, cool argument bro."

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 11, 2016

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

So you are redacting your previous claim. A person is no longer a category of organism. It is no longer identical to the organism. A person is now a "stage in the life" of an organism, something that can come (and presumably go) despite the continued existence of that organism. Is this correct?

"Squares are not rectangles."
- You

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

That's fair.

I believe that I was once in my entirety a part of my mothers body, and that at least part of my was once a part of my father's body. I think we have a shared history, for sure, although in the least-distinct case scenario it's a strictly biological one. At some point, well before I became a person, I developed my own mind and our shared histories diverged enough that I became an individual. So... somewhat?

Somewhat how? The way I'm looking at things you either are or are not you. I don't understand how something can be "somewhat" you.

quote:

I think we definitely have a shared history, but there was a rather obvious period of divergence, and after that divergence most of that history in myself was lost. I didn't really hold on to many (any?) of the important elements that determine identity of persons that she has, so I wouldn't say we were the same person, but we were once the same organism (back before I was a person at all), yes.

Does that seem like a flawed way to view the situation?

It does seem flawed to me, because it seems very imprecise.

quote:

I've said before that shared history isn't enough for same-person-hood, that other attributes matter, and that if I developed some sort of extreme mental disorder I wouldn't be the same person.

Are some attributes more important than the others?

At least we agree that drastic changes to your thought process produce a different person.

quote:

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here? I feel like we're back to not understanding each other's positions, though I'll try to answer as best I can. I am not the bottle of scotch for a fuckton of pretty obvious reasons, but if it lead to my concept I would certainly consider it part of my history of being? I probably wouldn't consider it part of my personal history though - I, as a past person, didn't exist when it happened and for a while afterwards.

You pretty much got it, I think. I was asking that if your history was part of "you" how far back it went and what exactly included, I.E. did it only include people or also things.

quote:

Yes, of course. Although any such transition would probably result in them no longer being 2B either.

Would it? Let me clarify/change the situation up a little and say that this loss of memory happens 30 years after duplication. So 2B still has 30 years of memories still, but none prior to his creation, thus losing his memetic connection to 2A. Are they now still the same person, or different people? Has losing memories of so long ago really changed 2B so drastically?

quote:

Okay, assuming by "same person" here we're referring to person 1. If I lost all my memories right now, I wouldn't be the same person. The person I am now would be dead. So yeah, if 2B (or 2A) loses all their memories, they would no longer be person. If 1 had a mindwipe instead of going through the teleporter, they would be super dead. There would be a person on the other side of the mindwipe, and they might have a bit of shared history with 1 due to the shared body, but definitely not the same person.

Again, as with above, what about only a partial memory loss? How much memory needs to be lost before you are no longer you but a different person?

quote:

Okay, I'm with you...

What? I guess we're going with "partial wipe" then? Let's not worry about "resurfacing" and just have them there from the beginning then...

It would be a pretty miserable amalgamate with multiple shared histories of personhood. It sounds miserable. There's a lot more stuff in the brain than memories, so that stuff would probably determine who it would be more, but yeah I think you're getting significant portions of two past-persons in the same body here. I can't imagine the result would have enough similarity in other attributes to be rightly considered a complete continuation of anyone though. You'd end up with something new made up of a good chunk of one person and another person mashed together, though I think it would be fair to consider this person a mental descendent of it's constituents.

So adding another person's memories results in you no longer being you? Then why doesn't developing differing memories result in you no longer being you?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Why not? That is incoherent with your framework.

Human: zygote => embryo => fetus => (baby =>) child => (adolescent =>) adult. One organism.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Berk Berkly posted:

You are being obtuse, if not deliberately trolling. The WHOLE topic we are discussing involves the question of the ACTUAL fatality of dissembling something and reconstituting it. A magical shotgun analogy is not even the weirdest mechanism I've heard when people argue on this subject.

But you aren't really arguing sincerely are you my friend? I'm not positing the FATAL shotgun blast is not fatal, I'm arguing what constitutes it being fatal is negated by the magical instantaneous reconstitution, and your relaxing is just you pretending you don't have to actually engage with the actual argument by shrugging your shoulders.

There's no "self" beyond your animal properties. I'm sorry that this makes you mad.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Peta posted:

There's no "self" beyond your animal properties. I'm sorry that this makes you mad.

*The sound of Peta stepping on the gas toward probate/ban #39*

When someone starts making literal 'umad?' replies, I feel I can relax.

Alright, so now that we've establish Peta is wasting everyone's time, anyone actually sincerely discussing this topic anymore?

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 11, 2016

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Berk Berkly posted:

*The sound of Peta stepping on the gas toward probate/ban #39*

Alright, so now that we've establish Peta is wasting everyone's time, anyone actually sincerely discussing this topic anymore?

Getting probated for frustrating you with a coherent and commonplace stance on a 101-level philosophical thought experiment would be a personal win for me.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What if a teleporter gun replaces all of the atoms in your brain with different atoms of the same elements, are you dead? Can you get out of your obligations to meet the in-laws?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Peta posted:

You can step in the same river twice and every Blue Ray of The Force Awakens contains a different movie.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Control Volume posted:

What if a teleporter gun replaces all of the atoms in your brain with different atoms of the same elements, are you dead? Can you get out of your obligations to meet the in-laws?

Yes and no, respectively.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

But you died, I thought your clone brain was supposed deal with that bullshit. This fuckign sucks

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

I mean, in the most literal sense every Blu Ray of The Force Awakens does contain a different movie. They're both instances of "The Force Awakens" but your Blu Ray disc is discrete from my Blu Ray disc. If someone destroyed yours with a hammer you probably wouldn't be content that somewhere, a Blue Ray disc with "The Force Awakens" on it survives and thus your disc is not really gone.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Peta posted:

"Squares are not rectangles."
- You

"Wars are governments."
- You

I think I'm just going to ignore you from now on. You clearly want to believe something and are struggling to come up with whatever nonsense rationalizations you can to justify it, and there are plenty of people arguing a similar position in a genuinely coherent way.

(Also, I forgot to mention specific organisms that can do the split and recover thing because I assumed the question was satirical and you aren't really that ignorant, but I think the process if fascinating so: Starfish, most plants, sponges, amoebas, funguses, etc. the list is pretty drat long, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragmentation_(reproduction) for anyone interested)

Berk Berkly posted:

I think me and Who What Now are having a good conversation even if it's mostly just him asking me questions.

---

Who What Now posted:

Somewhat how? The way I'm looking at things you either are or are not you. I don't understand how something can be "somewhat" you.
I'm not sure what the difficulty is here. Do you disagree with partial identity as a matter of principle, or is it specific to people for some reason? If you take a bit of my donut, what's left is most of my donut. You ate some of my donut. Do you disagree that the donut is "most" of my donut rather than all? If I mashed those remnants with some other baked goods into a larger donut, would you have a problem saying "part of my donut is now part of this new thing that really couldn't be described as my donut anymore"?

If you can follow the identity of the donut through this scenario, why is it so difficult to grasp in reference to people?

quote:

It does seem flawed to me, because it seems very imprecise.
Reality can be pretty imprecise. Have you ever heard of "ring species"? Man, that poo poo is a pain for biologists. Imprecision is sort of an integral component of artificial boundaries and categorization. Even the edge of literal physical matter is imprecise, since atoms aren't perfect hard lines.

The fact that those things are imprecise doesn't make statements like "this is a fox" or "this bird descended from a dinosaur" or "this is the edge of a table" or "this is the seam between the two metals" wrong.

quote:

Are some attributes more important than the others?
Yes, although I imagine that would vary a lot by person and what they value. Like when determining when personhood begins, I imagine there's valid cases to be made for a range of places to draw the exact line.

quote:

At least we agree that drastic changes to your thought process produce a different person.
Yes, it's nice to have some common ground.

quote:

You pretty much got it, I think. I was asking that if your history was part of "you" how far back it went and what exactly included, I.E. did it only include people or also things.
Okay, so I guess what I said was my history is a "part" of me and that event is "part" of my history, but that I don't think it's a part of history we're considering super relevant in terms of defining whether or not "I" am "me". Although unless we get into the time travel stuff it doesn't seem like a productive conversation.

quote:

Would it? Let me clarify/change the situation up a little and say that this loss of memory happens 30 years after duplication. So 2B still has 30 years of memories still, but none prior to his creation, thus losing his memetic connection to 2A. Are they now still the same person, or different people? Has losing memories of so long ago really changed 2B so drastically?
Even without the memory loss 2A and 2B would be different people. I could try to guess what you were asking, but I am not sure if what I think it would be is relevant - I don't think the answer differs whether the memory loss happens to 2A or 2B, which seems to be what you're thrusting at? Hopefully that answers whatever you were really asking, if it doesn't it at least allows you to rephrase the questions without "a"s or "b"s and just in terms of "person 1" and "person 2".

quote:

Again, as with above, what about only a partial memory loss? How much memory needs to be lost before you are no longer you but a different person?
I think memories are an important part of who I am, but not the only part. Also, different memories are more valuable than others. If I forget my favorite food, I'm probably fine. If I forget me wife and my child and my parents and my siblings? If I forget what I want and why I want it? At that point I think we're over the line. We're in a ring species situation though - there's no hard line here. But the answer still doesn't change whether the result happens to person 2A or 2B.

quote:

So adding another person's memories results in you no longer being you? Then why doesn't developing differing memories result in you no longer being you?
Eventually it might? Having of conflicting memories of the past seems like a lot more of a problem than having additional memories that are in turn built on those memories. It feels like you're asking "is it ever possible to be someone other than who you are right now?" I don't think I have an answer you'd find satisfying here, so let me turn it around and figure out what you think.

If you wiped a persons memories and personality and had them start over (maybe destroying most of their brain and then regrowing it with stem cells) in a new place with new people, nearly tabula rasa, would they be a new person after a few decades? (Since we agree that drastic changes in thought processes produce a new person, I assume the answer to this one is yes)

What if you then managed to restore their previous memories (it turned out you froze the chunks of brain you removed, and you can graft them on! or some other bullshit) on top of the new memories, and reintroduced them to their own family? Are they the person they were originally? The person they were since the wipe? Or some amalgamation of those two people?

I'd argue that treating them/thinking of them exclusively as either person at that point wouldn't be quite right, but neither would it be right to think of them as someone entirely different either.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 11, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Control Volume posted:

But you died, I thought your clone brain was supposed deal with that bullshit. This fuckign sucks

Oh, he's going too now. Have fun explaining that to the in-laws.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Peta posted:

Death
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Dead", "Died", "Deceased" and "Dying" redirect here. For the Alice in Chains song, see Died (song). For the coloring process, see Dyeing. For the American heavy metal bands, see Deceased (band) and Death (metal band). For the rock band, see Death (protopunk band). For other uses, see Dead (disambiguation) and Death (disambiguation).

Death is the termination of all biological functions that sustain a living organism. Phenomena which commonly bring about death include biological aging (senescence), predation, malnutrition, disease, suicide, homicide, starvation, dehydration, and accidents or trauma resulting in terminal injury.[1] Bodies of living organisms begin to decompose shortly after death. Death has commonly been considered a sad or unpleasant occasion, due to the termination of social and familial bonds with the deceased or affection for the being that has died. Other concerns include fear of death, necrophobia, anxiety, sorrow, grief, emotional pain, depression, sympathy, compassion, solitude, or saudade.

Why Wikipedia?
Anyway a few clicks from DEATH on Wikipedia get into the same ideas:

quote:

The problem is made even more apparent through the possibility of creating a potentially infinite number of initially identical copies of the original person, which would of course all exist simultaneously as distinct beings with their own emotions and thoughts. The most parsimonious view of this phenomenon is that the two (or more) minds would share memories of their past but from the point of duplication would simply be distinct minds.

Toward the goal of resolving the copy-vs-move debate, some have argued for a third way of conceptualizing the process, which is described by such terms as split[36] and divergence. The distinguishing feature of this third terminological option is that while moving implies that a single instance relocates in space and while copying invokes problematic connotations (a copy is often denigrated in status relative to its original), the notion of a split better illustrates that some kinds of entities might become two separate instances, but without the imbalanced associations assigned to originals and copies, and that such equality may apply to minds.

My gut reaction to this was always the "split" idea. An organism's "life" from birth to death is a trickle of water flowing down a hill until it suddenly evaporates *dies*. A transportation device would split the stream into two divergent branches, each being its own new organism sharing the exact same history and authentic selfhood up to the point of the teleportation. By destroying the so-called original your destroying a potenial double of yourself from existing and developing into their own person, but you arn't really killing your individual self.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Parts of your personality are implemented as an artificial intelligence in a personal assistant device. Is deleting this program suicide?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

wateroverfire posted:

I mean, in the most literal sense every Blu Ray of The Force Awakens does contain a different movie. They're both instances of "The Force Awakens" but your Blu Ray disc is discrete from my Blu Ray disc. If someone destroyed yours with a hammer you probably wouldn't be content that somewhere, a Blue Ray disc with "The Force Awakens" on it survives and thus your disc is not really gone.

If they smashed my copy with a hammer, cleaned up the mess, but discretely replaced it with an identical copy, I would be confused as to why they did it but I wouldn't be upset.

If it got destroyed in a vaporizer so my friend could watch it at his house thanks to the teleporter, and then it got destroyed in his vaporizer so he could teleport it back, I would be perfectly content considering it the same movie.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Your brain is replaced with someone else's brain, and their brain is replaced with yours. As the average brain weighs 3 lbs, your brain and his brain would be replacing 99% and 98% of body mass, respectively, or it could be viewed as your old body having a replacement brain. In this scenario, would you rather your movie role be played by John Travolta or Nicholas Cage?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

GlyphGryph posted:

If they smashed my copy with a hammer, cleaned up the mess, but discretely replaced it with an identical copy, I would be confused as to why they did it but I wouldn't be upset.

If it got destroyed in a vaporizer so my friend could watch it at his house thanks to the teleporter, and then it got destroyed in his vaporizer so he could teleport it back, I would be perfectly content considering it the same movie.

It's pretty hosed up that you view people the same way you view DVDs.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Control Volume posted:

Your brain is replaced with someone else's brain, and their brain is replaced with yours. As the average brain weighs 3 lbs, your brain and his brain would be replacing 99% and 98% of body mass, respectively, or it could be viewed as your old body having a replacement brain. In this scenario, would you rather your movie role be played by John Travolta or Nicholas Cage?

Their never making Face Off 2 man, let it go.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

It's pretty hosed up that you view people the same way you view DVDs.

It's pretty hosed up that you view people the same way that wateroverfire views DVDs.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

"Wars are governments."
- You

I think I'm just going to ignore you from now on. You clearly want to believe something and are struggling to come up with whatever nonsense rationalizations you can to justify it, and there are plenty of people arguing a similar position in a genuinely coherent way.

You're right. Olson, van Inwagen, Wiggins, Wollheim, Ayers, Mackie, Merricks - idiots, all of them. RIP animalism as a theory of personal identity, 1980-2016, crushed under the heel of Something Awful Goon GlyphGryph.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Berk Berkly posted:

Their never making Face Off 2 man, let it go.

[throws a copy of face off into a teleporter and flips the switch] actually it looks like another one just got made, asswipe.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

It's pretty hosed up that you view people the same way that wateroverfire views DVDs.

Not interchangeable? Yeah geez what a terrible way to view people.

You should tell your wife or girlfriend that you'd be fine if she got murdered and replaced with an identical duplicate. Lemme know how that goes for you.

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 11, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

I think me and Who What Now are having a good conversation even if it's mostly just him asking me questions.

You're free to ask me questions back, you know. I'm totally down with typing up endless bullshit navel-gazing, I have nothing better to do at work!

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not sure what the difficulty is here. Do you disagree with partial identity as a matter of principle, or is it specific to people for some reason? If you take a bit of my donut, what's left is most of my donut. You ate some of my donut. Do you disagree that the donut is "most" of my donut rather than all? If I mashed those remnants with some other baked goods into a larger donut, would you have a problem saying "part of my donut is now part of this new thing that really couldn't be described as my donut anymore"?

If you can follow the identity of the donut through this scenario, why is it so difficult to grasp in reference to people?

You need to stop using inanimate objects for your analogies, dude. They are just so very awful at encompassing the subject matter in a meaningful manner. Specifically this one, because you've already agreed that at some point losing a certain amount of what makes you "you" makes you not "you" any more. But that donut is still that donut up until the last bite because there is no emergent property that arrises from it like consciousness does from a brain.

Analogies using inanimate objects only make this conversation worse, harder to understand, especially if I try to run with it, so I'm not even going to run with it. But to reiterate my answer, it doesn't work because there's no emergent property to the donut like their is with brains and minds.

quote:

Reality can be pretty imprecise. Have you ever heard of "ring species"? Man, that poo poo is a pain for biologists. Imprecision is sort of an integral component of artificial boundaries and categorization. Even the edge of literal physical matter is imprecise, since atoms aren't perfect hard lines.

The fact that those things are imprecise doesn't make statements like "this is a fox" or "this bird descended from a dinosaur" or "this is the edge of a table" or "this is the seam between the two metals" wrong.

"This is a fox" isn't wrong, no, but then going on and saying "and it's the same as all other foxes" would be. Just like saying "this is my clone" would be correct, but then saying "and he is also completely interchangeable with me in all ways" would be wrong.

quote:

Yes, although I imagine that would vary a lot by person and what they value. Like when determining when personhood begins, I imagine there's valid cases to be made for a range of places to draw the exact line.

Ok, which are most important to you?

quote:

Yes, it's nice to have some common ground.

Okay, so I guess what I said was my history is a "part" of me and that event is "part" of my history, but that I don't think it's a part of history we're considering super relevant in terms of defining whether or not "I" am "me". Although unless we get into the time travel stuff it doesn't seem like a productive conversation.

Well that's why I was trying to nail down what parts of your history you believe are important and which aren't.

quote:

Even without the memory loss 2A and 2B would be different people. I could try to guess what you were asking, but I am not sure if what I think it would be is relevant - I don't think the answer differs whether the memory loss happens to 2A or 2B, which seems to be what you're thrusting at? Hopefully that answers whatever you were really asking, if it doesn't it at least allows you to rephrase the questions without "a"s or "b"s and just in terms of "person 1" and "person 2".

I've always thought that they were Person 1 and Person 2 from the start. That's my point, that your clone is a wholly separate entity to you, and is not you. This goes back to the very beginning of the thread and my position that some people believe that if there is a copy made of your brain there is a 50/50 chance of you being either the copy of the original being wrong; there is a 0% chance of you being the copy because the copy isn't you, it's a new, wholly separate person that just so happens to share your memories and genetics.

quote:

I think memories are an important part of who I am, but not the only part. Also, different memories are more valuable than others. If I forget my favorite food, I'm probably fine. If I forget me wife and my child and my parents and my siblings? If I forget what I want and why I want it? At that point I think we're over the line. We're in a ring species situation though - there's no hard line here. But the answer still doesn't change whether the result happens to person 2A or 2B.

The point of these questions is to determine when you can no longer say the original and the duplicate are the same person. Then, hopefully, to work our way back and show that the point where the became two separate individuals was the point of creation, and from that point on calling them both "you" is a mistake.

quote:

Eventually it might? Having of conflicting memories of the past seems like a lot more of a problem than having additional memories that are in turn built on those memories. It feels like you're asking "is it ever possible to be someone other than who you are right now?" I don't think I have an answer you'd find satisfying here, so let me turn it around and figure out what you think.

If you wiped a persons memories and personality and had them start over (maybe destroying most of their brain and then regrowing it with stem cells) in a new place with new people, nearly tabula rasa, would they be a new person after a few decades? (Since we agree that drastic changes in thought processes produce a new person, I assume the answer to this one is yes)

What if you then managed to restore their previous memories (it turned out you froze the chunks of brain you removed, and you can graft them on! or some other bullshit) on top of the new memories, and reintroduced them to their own family? Are they the person they were originally? The person they were since the wipe? Or some amalgamation of those two people?

I'd argue that treating them/thinking of them exclusively as either person at that point wouldn't be quite right, but neither would it be right to think of them as someone entirely different either.

I'd like to point out that this is exactly the same scenario I pointed out to you earlier. So I'm glad we've gotten back to it. To answer, the person post-wipe is indeed a new person, yes. If their bodies original memories resurface, the cease to be the post-wipe person and become a new person entirely, one that happens to have memories of both. And I say that this is a distinct, new individual because I believe that this "amalgamation" would act in a way that is significantly different than either the two constituent parts. You think this is wrong, why?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In the world of digital mind replication, is the once joking phrase "You wouldn't steal a baby" now false in a reflection of a terrifying reality?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Control Volume posted:

In the world of digital mind replication, is the once joking phrase "You wouldn't steal a baby" now false in a reflection of a terrifying reality?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok, I'm going to go back on my own advice that I just gave and use an analogy I just thought up.

Let's say the year is 2116, and through the magic of technology you are now really really old, but still sound of mind. You've been married to your spouse for 100+ years, and still love her as much as the day you were married. But tragedy strikes when one of you loses your wedding ring down the space-drain and your ring gets shot into the sun to be vaporized with all the other garbage.

"But wait, Pop-pop! I'll just hop on down to the space-wizard and he'll use his space-magic to make a perfect duplicate of your ring. It'll be exactly the same, down to the last scuff and fleck of oxidization, except that it'll have been made by a space-wizard and come into existence six second ago!"

Now, would you really believe that to be completely analogous to your original ring in all ways? Or would you recognize that, while it reminds you of your ring and certainly looks just like it, it's still just an imitation? Obviously because everyone here is a goon you'll all so that, no, dipshit, it's exactly the same and I'd feel nothing at the loss of my treasured memento of my marriage. But I have a feeling that in your heart-of-hearts you'd know that wouldn't be the case.

Now why wouldn't this apply to a person, who also has a conscious and ever-changing mind?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Not interchangeable? Yeah geez what a terrible way to view people.

You should tell your wife or girlfriend that you'd be fine if she got murdered and replaced with an identical duplicate. Lemme know how that goes for you.

What the hell is wrong with your brain that you're taking a silly thought experiment this seriously, duder

Have some loving levity

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What if I shove you into a teleporter and keep your old self alive and give it wedgies all day, you loving nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Control Volume posted:

What the hell is wrong with your brain that you're taking a silly thought experiment this seriously, duder

Have some loving levity

Your posts in this thread have been good. I have enjoyed your posting.

Look all I'm doing is taking their stance to its logical conclusion. I mean if they're not cool with that then maybe they should reconsider.

• Locked thread