Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno, I guess I should be used to it, but I hate it when they do that. Like, yeah one day I fully expect Charles Xavier and Original Wolverine to be back but when you kill off a guy knowing full well when and how he's coming back and act like it's a huuuge deal, gently caress you.

Not that the death and resurrection of Johnny Storm wasn't fantastic but that's an exception due to Hickman's amazing powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I dunno, I guess I should be used to it, but I hate it when they do that. Like, yeah one day I fully expect Charles Xavier and Original Wolverine to be back but when you kill off a guy knowing full well when and how he's coming back and act like it's a huuuge deal, gently caress you.

Not that the death and resurrection of Johnny Storm wasn't fantastic but that's an exception due to Hickman's amazing powers.

Thor stayed dead for what, 3 years? I'm hoping they don't puss out and keep original Logan dead for a long time. OML is selling really well so there's no need to bring him back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like Xavier has died like every year in the past decade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like Xavier has died like every year in the past decade.

He vanished at the end of HoM, he got shot in the head which lead to X-Men Legacy. And the merced in AvX so he has died or appeared to die several times.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People joke about Jean Grey but Professor X is the real culprit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hasn't Xavier dying been a gimmick since like the 80s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

He was on his second or third body so yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

site posted:

He died in the 70s but turns out he faked it because he is an rear end in a top hat.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
What's the longest consecutive stretch that Jean Grey has spent alive? She last died in, what, 2005, 2006?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mid 80s till New X-men probably.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

zoux posted:

When they "killed" Johnny, did they do that whole "Oh he's dead for ever and for sure" marketing stuff?

Not really. Hickman was pretty explicit that he knows death in comics is never permanent and was more interested in telling the story than he was trying to convince people that no guys he was TOTALLY dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the terms of Hickman's story Johnny really did die. But then those bugs ate his remains and poo poo out healed tissue so he came back to life.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Going by that he died a bunch of times!

Which reminds me, I got a kick outta the negative zone insects demanding free elections and voting anniulus back in lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oooh new Jessica Jones comic maybe?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Bendis said that a while ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's also said it every couple of years since The Pulse ended, though. I don't think he's mentioned having a script ready before, though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

site posted:

Twice a year, the managing editor for the X-office flips a coin four times to determine if Xavier spends the next six months alive or dead, with the X-men or off to find himself, paraplegic or ambulatory, and powered or powerless.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Thor stayed dead for what, 3 years? I'm hoping they don't puss out and keep original Logan dead for a long time. OML is selling really well so there's no need to bring him back.

And so is All-New Wolverine, right? Right? :ohdear:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Squizzle posted:

Twice a year, the managing editor for the X-office flips a coin four times to determine if Xavier spends the next six months alive or dead, with the X-men or off to find himself, paraplegic or ambulatory, and powered or powerless.

Ah, the star trek style of plotting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Going by that he died a bunch of times!

Which reminds me, I got a kick outta the negative zone insects demanding free elections and voting anniulus back in lol

They say as much in the book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

They say as much in the book.

Oh yeah I know, I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Oh yeah I know, I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Stop agreeing with me!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Stop agreeing with me!

:ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you're not well doing and ketchuping a good steak then I guess it doesn't matter much. Someone has to buy the garbage steak to clear out room for killing more cows to make the good ones.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Someone has to buy the garbage steak to clear out room for killing more cows to make the good ones.

I don't quite understand this metaphor but does this mean I actually need to thank D_T for continuing to buy Red Hood?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Archyduke posted:

What's the longest consecutive stretch that Jean Grey has spent alive? She last died in, what, 2005, 2006?

she was definitely alive from 1963 to 1976, so 13 years is the number to beat baseline

if you're talking about long term death you could argue 1986 to 2003, but she still died or was erased from existence like 3 separate times during that period (just never for terribly long and you're dealing with 90's X-Men alternate timelines so what "counts" is open to interpretation)- regardless I don't think you can credit her the full term

All New Jean Grey is still counting up from 2012 so we'll see where that goes

Ultimate Jean Grey never died at all so that's 2001 to 2009 for publication of the Ultimate X-Men series, or if we want to be pendantic 2001 to Ultimate End in 2015, edging out the original incarnation

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

LGD posted:

she was definitely alive from 1963 to 1976, so 13 years is the number to beat baseline

if you're talking about long term death you could argue 1986 to 2003, but she still died or was erased from existence like 3 separate times during that period (just never for terribly long and you're dealing with 90's X-Men alternate timelines so what "counts" is open to interpretation)- regardless I don't think you can credit her the full term

All New Jean Grey is still counting up from 2012 so we'll see where that goes

Ultimate Jean Grey never died at all so that's 2001 to 2009 for publication of the Ultimate X-Men series, or if we want to be pendantic 2001 to Ultimate End in 2015, edging out the original incarnation

Everyone in the Ultimate universe was dead on the inside from 2008 on.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Archyduke posted:

Everyone in the Ultimate universe was dead on the inside from 2008 on.

It's difficult to dispute that

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

LGD posted:

It's not really fair to count that full run, though, since the book was in reruns from '71-'75.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Garbage" steak is still good for lots of things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...I don't know how that post ended up here.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

"Garbage" steak is still good for lots of things.

?????

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Hey quick warning : pages from Civil War II have leaked, read at your own peril

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please do not link to or discuss leaks in this thread. Thanks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

*Enters the thread wielding a wrench and covered in sewage*

X-O! Emergency! We have a.... oh, uh, never mind.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean using spoiler tags would be fine if it was like a couple days until the issue hits. But we're not using spoiler tags to discuss this for over three weeks. That would be annoying as hell to people that don't want to know. Sorry guys.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, XO

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Make a thread for the event as always, that way it can be flushed down the sewer after it's over.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as important X-Men characters go, I think Moira MacTaggart has been dead for more years than Jean at this point.

Consecutively rather than cumulatively, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

...I don't know how that post ended up here.
UMMMMM THANKS AWFUL.APP!?!??!

• Locked thread