Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

There's an evil empire that is attacking and their road trip is some sort of quest to defeat them basically.

so what your saying is that its a highly original, innovative and totally non cliché plot for a jrpg?

I sure do hope they subvert everyones expectations and shoe-horn a crystal in there somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I suspect through some combination of pluck, chutzpah, and ~friendship~ they'll save the day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

so what your saying is that its a highly original, innovative and totally non cliché plot for a jrpg?

I sure do hope they subvert everyones expectations and shoe-horn a crystal in there somehow.

Crystals are already part of the story, the empire is attacking to steal them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

the whole roadtrip aesthetic is pretty original tho

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Final Fantasy has always been about a roadtrip. Its about time they let us camp with our bros and make some chow over the camp fire and cruise with the top down on our free time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is that cover of Stand By Me for sale anywhere yet?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TommyGun85 posted:

I'd much rather have this than FFXIII. The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented here.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I guess 5 should get an honorable mention for some of its slice of life stuff in the opening. I was a big fan of the awesome dumb stuff like Butz being really reticent about going on an adventure because he just wanted to camp with his Chocobro, and then they creep on Faris and think they are turning gay, and the pirates storming into town to go to the bar was a neat touch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like how the pirates in 5 don't really loot or pillage or anything, they're a bunch of oafs playing pretend while they sail around to get drunk at various taverns.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everybody wanted to be the dads in FF10 because Jecht's spheres made it seem a lot more like a fun road trip because it was at least 50% more goofs than pity party compared to the goofs present in the final pilgrimage.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i wanted to be witht he dads in FFX bc young, and old, auron was hot

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

zedprime posted:

I guess 5 should get an honorable mention for some of its slice of life stuff in the opening. I was a big fan of the awesome dumb stuff like Butz being really reticent about going on an adventure because he just wanted to camp with his Chocobro, and then they creep on Faris and think they are turning gay, and the pirates storming into town to go to the bar was a neat touch.

FFV is the best.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

McDragon posted:

I just realised I have no idea what the story of XV is supposed to be about apart from some dudes on a roadtrip. And one of them is heir to the throne or something maybe? I guess I've just been tuning it out since it's been around but not doing anything for ages. I should try out those demos I guess

Looking forward to Bravely Second this week. I know it isn't technically final fantasy but it's close enough

Noctis is a prince, he's been set up to marry a princess named Luna, after they leave to go on a broad trip to his wedding their kingdom is invaded, fighting an entire empire on their own would be stupid so they keep going on their trip so they can meet up with Noct's future wife and figure out how to fight back along the way. And then a bunch of other stuff happens.

TommyGun85 posted:

It''s not like we have an entire script to look at, dude, everything we know about the story is covered in promotional material and the first couple hours of the game. Completely original and innovative frameworks for stories haven't really been a thing in like forever.
The cool think about the broad trip though is that it means they've scaled it down to a more personal, character-driven adventure, rather than the XIII games which became too high-concept for their own good and were all about gods and religions and creation myths and messiahs and all other kinds of things that are really hard to relate to.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Execution matters more than originality, especially considering most of SE's more unique games ended up being among their worst.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

The cool think about the broad trip though is that it means they've scaled it down to a more personal, character-driven adventure, rather than the XIII games which became too high-concept for their own good and were all about gods and religions and creation myths and messiahs and all other kinds of things that are really hard to relate to.

This is the game's main strength so far, I think. It pares down everything to four bros in a car, while all the big-picture sturm und drang is happening far, far away in the place they want to get to. It keeps the game relatable while adding a sense of persistent urgency to their goal, because you're going to be a little more eager to get to the city when you keep getting news broadcasts saying that it's completely on fire.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Augus posted:

It''s not like we have an entire script to look at, dude, everything we know about the story is covered in promotional material and the first couple hours of the game. Completely original and innovative frameworks for stories haven't really been a thing in like forever.

Everyone relax, I was being cheeky.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
THE NIGHT IS GOING TO MARRY THE MOON, GET IT

I can't believe an okay-to-mediocre Stephen King novel adaptation is popular in Japan. It doesn't even take place in Japan, it takes place in Maine, like every single one of Stephen King's books, the Japanese have no frame of reference for Maine.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Augus posted:

...but that's what XIII was. It was pretty much entirely character-driven with all the focus being on our heroes interactions and conflicts with each other.

Anyway, I'm betting that the evil empire in XV is really just a front for the personal agenda of some vizier or whoever and they turn out to be the real villain. Just a hunch.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF15 is built on the corpse of an FNC joint so dollars to donuts, the crystals are relics of demi-god design and a demi-god or god is trying to relcaim their power and either is the emperor, or is using the emperor as a pawn.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

Execution matters more than originality, especially considering most of SE's more unique games ended up being among their worst.

gently caress you brave fencer musashi and threads of fate are goddamn treasures

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

zedprime posted:

FF15 is built on the corpse of an FNC joint so dollars to donuts, the crystals are relics of demi-god design and a demi-god or god is trying to relcaim their power and either is the emperor, or is using the emperor as a pawn.

nah they threw all that poo poo out when they kicked nomura chan to the curb, now the final boss is gwen stefani.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress you brave fencer musashi and threads of fate are goddamn treasures

loving make Zweihander already.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Things we know will be brought up in FF15 that is not related to the empire:

- The Plague of the Stars, a curse over Eos (the world of FF15) that makes the nights last longer, which is kept in check by the Oracles (Luna)
- The creation myth of Eos and the Archaeans (summons).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

I'll take "Games Everyone Should Play" for $400, Alex.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Whoa, jump!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Terper posted:

Eos (the world of FF15)

fuckin scrubs don't know to use selene

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Terper posted:

Things we know will be brought up in FF15 that is not related to the empire:

- The Plague of the Stars, a curse over Eos (the world of FF15) that makes the nights last longer, which is kept in check by the Oracles (Luna)
- The creation myth of Eos and the Archaeans (summons).

Where the gently caress did you get this information from?!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

My fanfiction.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Fister Roboto posted:

fuckin scrubs don't know to use selene
Not an emptyquote

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

The Plague has been brought up in Episode Duscae's ending teaser and those Active Time Reports and interviews, and the game's website refers to the world as Eos.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

As the owner of the FFXV thread, it is my duty to know these things so that you don't have to

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, I realized this was a thing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well then.

The obvious year goof-up aside.... be still my heart.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 12, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well then.

The obvious year goof-up aside.... be still my heart.

It's a mobile title. Doesn't mean it will be bad but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Didn't Navigatr start making new videos?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I believe so? Haven't kept track of it in ages.

Side note, that bit on VOs in FF.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
If Hillary gets elected I want Gaming in the Clinton Years to make a return with modern games.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Navigatr and the guy who did the reviews(George Wood) aren't the same person. George showed up for a few videos recently but I don't think he's doing reviews anymore.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 12, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So I just checked the FF Portal app for any news on Justice Monsters 5 (haha, as loving if) and apparently there's some card game coming to Europe (and presumably the US too but I'm in a PAL region). Does anyone know anything about it? Is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RIP Navigatr, dead by his own hands.