Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eonwe posted:

im trying to talk myself into buying dark souls III because now that I have a steam controller I feel like I could maybe one day beat this, where for dark souls 1 essentially I just got to the capra demon and stopped playing

Please stream the game if you get it, Eonwe. I beg of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The Walrus posted:

So glad I can finally stop trying to enjoy DS2. The iron keep is the single most bullshit area in the entire game. every single other area has bonfires out the rear end, except for this one, which is huge and long and has a ton of bullshit enemies. also it's configured so it's impossible to just run through to the boss door. the boss is pretty easy but just getting to him is such total loving garbage, only exacerbated by the loving belfry bonfire that means you need to run through the bellfry and often get invaded before you can actually even start retrying the level again. oh dont forget the lava buckets that can trap you without warning meaning you need to restart the level also.

just getting this off my chest before it becomes 100% irrelevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsK3hm4qKZ8&t=2223s

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
no it's bad design sorry. feel free to tell me why I'm wrong though, I don't think anyone has anything better do to do for the next hour

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

This is a joke right?

Its the 3rd game in the series FFS. Yes you can but you really shouldn't.

Ah, if you've gotta play on a TV then yeah probably go PS4. But PC + Monitor all the way. Gonna be playing souls at 100fps. :)

its locked at 60

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eonwe posted:

im trying to talk myself into buying dark souls III because now that I have a steam controller I feel like I could maybe one day beat this, where for dark souls 1 essentially I just got to the capra demon and stopped playing

Capra Demon is an aggressively unfun boss and one of my least favorite in the series, so definitely don't let that color your whole perception of it. It also doesn't look like DS3 has any bosses quite that annoying.

(I've been playing Souls games for a good while now and I get that Capra isn't that hard but that tiny room with the dogs and his huge swing radius, it can all just gently caress right off.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

b0red posted:

its locked at 60

Eh, for now.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The Walrus posted:

no it's bad design sorry. feel free to tell me why I'm wrong though, I don't think anyone has anything better do to do for the next hour

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The only problem I have with the Iron Keep is the roll to get the Ember. Scares me every time, and yet I've never actually missed it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Walrus posted:

You can run to the boss without taking a hit in both versions. It has three bonfires, more than almost every other area in the game. It's actually remarkably short between each bonfire and the larger volume of enemies is ameliorated by Alonne Knights not being a real threat. Belfy Sol is equally easy to run through. And if you're falling in lava buckets you're an idiot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where's the third gif one? It's the best part.

VVV Thank you

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

you dropped this

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

You got stonewalled by the Last Giant?

Nah, I was joking/exaggerating somewhat. Pursuer took me about 20 tries though, and I had to give up on it for a night out of frustration. Same with Father G in Bloodborne. So first "real" bosses I guess.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Even without any kind of speedrun skips, there's no reason you should be going through the belfry

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I bought and preloaded it even though I'm pretty sure it's gonna run like poo poo on my old-rear end rig

I'm doing an okay job containing my hype though!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dandywalken posted:

Please stream the game if you get it, Eonwe. I beg of you.

ive never really streamed before, but sure, why not

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

I bought and preloaded it even though I'm pretty sure it's gonna run like poo poo on my old-rear end rig

I'm doing an okay job containing my hype though!

reposting this

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?ne...Graphics%20Card

warmth , joy...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Doing low SM runs of Iron Keep was actually pretty fun. Just running past a bunch of angry knights and barely making jumps over the platforms while they charge behind you. Good times.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Eonwe posted:

Buy it and try some jolly cooperation to overcome your challenges.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I actually had a lot of fun playing split screen Starcraft against my brother on the Nintendo 64. :shobon:

Split screen gaming was awesome, I miss that :(. Getting everyone to carry their computers to a house to do some lan was awesome too, totally impractical (carrying CRT monitors :gonk:) but worth it

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Minrad posted:

you dropped this

is this ring back? please let it be

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Capra Demon is an aggressively unfun boss and one of my least favorite in the series, so definitely don't let that color your whole perception of it. It also doesn't look like DS3 has any bosses quite that annoying.

(I've been playing Souls games for a good while now and I get that Capra isn't that hard but that tiny room with the dogs and his huge swing radius, it can all just gently caress right off.)

hmm, ok, that makes sense

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I've actually tried that route with the rolling down onto the catwalk. as soon as I jump off the ladder I get speared by three dudes pretty much immediately. also he didn't have the two npc phantoms at the gate? look I'm sorry you can't tell me that finally getting to a bonfire, dropping down a foot and a half only to find you can't get back up and you need to run through an invasion zone is good design. its moronic.

edit: yes theres three bonfires but one is actually for another zone and the other one is behind an optional boss

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 11, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thread title really should have been Dark Souls III - gently caress YEA MOTHERFUCKER.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Walrus posted:

I've actually tried that route with the rolling down onto the catwalk. as soon as I jump off the ladder I get speared by three dudes pretty much immediately. also he didn't have the two npc phantoms at the gate? look I'm sorry you can't tell me that finally getting to a bonfire, dropping down a foot and a half only to find you can't get back up and you need to run through an invasion zone is good design. its moronic.

Teleport?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Capra is a pure ballbuster. Its a pretty awkward and unbalanced encounter that doesn't really teach you anything other than "ROLL RIGHT AWAY" which is pretty dumb, and there's no possible way for you to know what to do in time without having watched somebody else do it. Its a particularly bad boss, although it is also kinda notorious and funny in that regard. From dev's were trolling, its intentionally frustrating. You just have to die to it until you learn how to survive long enough, and then you win pretty much guaranteed.

Its basically the opposite of a boss like darklurker.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Walrus posted:

look I'm sorry you can't tell me that finally getting to a bonfire, dropping down a foot and a half only to find you can't get back up and you need to run through an invasion zone is good design. its moronic.

Its so you can't easily skip the Smelter Demon fight, which is good cause he's one of the best bosses. Go kill him.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wait there IS a bonfire right before the boss? motherFUCKER

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure my old GT650M is noticeably shittier than a 750TI.

It's only 1GB memory for one thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Walrus posted:

At bridge, after Smelter, up ladder before OIK.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

The Walrus posted:

edit: yes theres three bonfires but one is actually for another zone and the other one is behind an optional boss

There are actually four: beginning, after optional boss, Belfry, and right before the boss. The fourth one is up a ladder in that room with all the ox heads blowing fire.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

At bridge, after Smelter, up ladder before OIK.

yeah I'll retract my previous statements, that bonfire makes it tough but fair. the stuck in bellfry thing is still dumb but whatever.

glad we could kill 15 minutes together friends.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

The Walrus posted:

lol it also shuts off all the fire in the map

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
To anyone curious about KB+M controls, they were just fine in the DS2 port. After you figured them out, it wasn't hard in the least. People complaining about the controls being hard are basically babbies. I spent well over a few hundred hours loving around with KB+M over the controller.

That being said. The stance options for the weaponsets make KB+M a less attractive option over using a controller.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Its a cool one too, its up in the head of that big bull statue thing on the side of iron keep.

Lots of people seem to miss that one, even though it isn't hidden like the one at the top of earthen peak or even the kinda easy to miss one at the bottom of black gulch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RBA Starblade posted:

The thread title really should have been Dark Souls III - gently caress YEA MOTHERFUCKER.

The title sums up the fans more in my opinion.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a cool one too, its up in the head of that big bull statue thing on the side of iron keep.

Lots of people seem to miss that one, even though it isn't hidden like the one at the top of earthen peak or even the kinda easy to miss one at the bottom of black gulch.

It is kind of hard to see the ladder in the corner. I think it is the same color as the walls, so it blends in

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I'm very excited to start as herald, which a swift and graceful spear and cape.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Do any of the big shields have weapon arts related to mashing a big metal plate into people's faces and if yes, where can I get one that does?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just can't wait to cospvp as Tarkus again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It comes out in a couple of hours but I can't play it for a few hours yet. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to anybody in the entire history of the world :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
since one of my issues with iron keep has been dispelled, was I also being an idiot with those lava buckets that tip over in the big room with the suspended catwalks and fat club dudes/alonnes? its the stone ledge to your left when you come into the room, there's a bow knight at the end of it. when you get to the end some lava buckets tip over and start lava streaming across the platform into the main pool. my vit wasn't high enough to roll through without dying and I didn't have any fire resist. I also didn't see any pressure plates. on future times through the level the buckets don't reset. what am I missing here