Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It seems to me that being satan's sriracha is way less likely to disqualify something from being a rocket fuel than not being able to force it through a turbopump quickly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

xthetenth posted:

It seems to me that being satan's sriracha is way less likely to disqualify something from being a rocket fuel than not being able to force it through a turbopump quickly enough.

How about a cryogenic "solid" booster? Cool the drat thing with LN2 until takeoff and hope it doesn't melt and decompose completely before it burns. Of course it might well detonate in place, and I doubt it would be friendly to whatever you make the booster body out of, but ...

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

xthetenth posted:

This or unbelievable toxicity. Being amazingly hypergolic isn't so much a bad thing - the main criteria for rocket fuel is "Is it a good fuel (ie, compressible)" and "if I launch this, and it crashes, will it poison vast areas of land?", which the reason why we don't use dimethyl mercury as a rocket fuel (iirc, it was actually a very good rocket fuel) or nuclear rockets.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A White Guy posted:

This or unbelievable toxicity. Being amazingly hypergolic isn't so much a bad thing - the main criteria for rocket fuel is "Is it a good fuel (ie, compressible)" and "if I launch this, and it crashes, will it poison vast areas of land?", which the reason why we don't use dimethyl mercury as a rocket fuel (iirc, it was actually a very good rocket fuel) or nuclear rockets.

oh they went further than that, time to quote John Clark again

Ignition! posted:

Phil wanted density. Well, dimethyl mercury was dense, all right — d = 3.07 —but it would be burned with RFNA, and at a reasonable mixture ratio the total propellant density would be about 2.1 or 2.2. (The density of the acid-UDMH system is about 1.2.) That didn't seem too impressive, and I decided to apply the reducto ad absurdum method. Why not use the densest known substance which is liquid at room temperature — mercury itself? Just squirt it into the chamber of a motor burning, say, acid-UDMH. It would evaporate into a monatomic gas (with a low Cp, which would help performance), and would go out the nozzle with the combustion products. That technique should give Phil all the density he wanted!
I solemnly and formally wrote the whole thing up, complete with graphs, labeled it —dead pan —the "Ultra High Density Propellant Concept," and sent it off to the Bureau. I expected to see it bounce back in a week, with a "Who do you think you're kidding?" letter attached. It didn't.

Phil bought it.

He directed us, forthwith, to verify the calculations experimentally, and NARTS, horrified, was stuck with the job of firing a mercury spewing motor in the middle of Morris County, New Jersey....We had it built and were about ready to go, when the Navy decided to shut down —"disestablish" —NARTS, and ordered us to ship the whole mercury setup to NOTS. With a sigh of relief, we complied, and handed them the wet baby. Saved by the bell!

At NOTS, Dean Couch and D. G. Nyberg took over the job, and by March 1960 had completed their experiments. They used a 250-pound thrust RFNA-UDMH motor, and injected mercury through a tap in the chamber wall. And the thing did work. They used up to 31 volume percent of mercury in their runs, and found that at 20 percent they got a 40 percent increase in density impulse. (I had calculated 43.) As they were firing in the middle of the desert, they didn't bother with the scrubber. And they didn't poison a single rattlesnake. Technically, the system was a complete success. Practically—that was something else again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A White Guy posted:

This or unbelievable toxicity.
Doesn't stop the russians from using UDMH and N2O4. :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Collateral Damage posted:

when you start using the russians as a good example of great ideas... Is there any way to subscribe to individual posters so i can see how this goes? :haw:

just noticed av/post c-c-c-c-c-ombo!

:golfclap:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

when you start using the russians as a good example of great ideas...
Never said it was a good idea. :) In fact I'm pretty sure that the Intelsat 708 crash that supposedly wiped out a nearby village is an example of what a terrible idea it is.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Never said it was a good idea. :) In fact I'm pretty sure that the Intelsat 708 crash that supposedly wiped out a nearby village is an example of what a terrible idea it is.

me is slow this morning. caffination in progress please standby.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Does anyone have a phase diagram for KrF2 handy? -78 Celsius isn't bad at all as far as cryogenics are concerned (LH2 is about 30K, and it's heavily used as rocket fuel).

As far as nuclear rockets go, I was always a fan of the nuclear light bulb.

Uranium gas at 55000 K :yum:

(It would have amazing performance though.)

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Something tells me it would also be very efficient at irradiating the living poo poo out of everything that went anything near the general direction of the exhaust :stare:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ignimbrite posted:

Something tells me it would also be very efficient at irradiating the living poo poo out of everything that went anything near the general direction of the exhaust :stare:

That's a problem for Public Relations to solve, we're in Engineering around here :colbert:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Ignimbrite posted:

The closed cycle design (first picture) doesn't have any physical contact between the fissiles and the exhaust, so unless there's some sort of mechanical failure there will be no radiation release.

If you want to irradiate people, the NSWR is a much better option (it's best described as a continuously detonating Orion drive). Although, according to the atomic rockets page, using 90% enriched uranium as fuel will get you a specific impulse of about half a million seconds.

(People who aren't Robert Zubrin are skeptical about whether this would actually work).

LostCosmonaut has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Apr 11, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ignimbrite posted:

Radiation is the least of your concerns, that much uranium gas would poison to death anything that so much as looked at the exhaust plume, also the rocket runs hot enough it would vaporize tungsten. It's the unholy trifecta of rocket designs: super efficient, super deadly, and super bad in the long run.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

Could be worse, could be relying on circular motion to keep the uranium on the edges rather than the part that gets exhausted. On the downside, fewer density impulse boosting happy accidents.

Just remember that the hot/crazy scale is for rocket propulsion and any other use is a misapplication.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

Computer viking posted:

How about a cryogenic "solid" booster? Cool the drat thing with LN2 until takeoff and hope it doesn't melt and decompose completely before it burns. Of course it might well detonate in place, and I doubt it would be friendly to whatever you make the booster body out of, but ...

So it succeeds at being a solid booster. Just happens to be omnidirectional.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LostCosmonaut posted:

If you want to irradiate people, the NSWR is a much better option (it's best described as a continuously detonating Orion drive). Although, according to the atomic rockets page, using 90% enriched uranium as fuel will get you a specific impulse of about half a million seconds.
the coolest thing that came out nuclear shaped-charge research was the "Casaba-Howitzer" program which is a still-classified nuclear directed energy weapon

quote:

Details are scarce since the project is still classified after all these years. Tungsten has an atomic number (Z) of 74. When the tungsten plate is vaporized, the resulting plasma jet has a relatively low velocity and diverges at a wide angle (22.5 degrees). Now, if you replace the tungsten with a material with a low Z, the plasma jet will instead have a high velocity at a narrow angle ("high velocity" meaning "a recognizable fraction of the speed of light"). The jet angle also grows narrower as the thickness of the plate is reduced. This is undesirable for a propulsion system component (because it will destroy the pusher plate), but just perfect for a weapon (because it will destroy the enemy ship).

The report below suggests that the practical minimum half angle the jet can be focused to is 5.7° (0.1 radians).

They would also be perfect as an anti-ballistic missile defence. One hit by a Casaba Howitzer and a Soviet ICBM would be instantly vaporized. Which is why project Casaba-Howitzer's name came up a few times in the 1983 Strategic Defense Initiative.

Casaba Howitzers fired from orbit at ground targets on Terra would be inefficient, which is not the same as "does no damage." A nuclear warhead fired at a ground target would do far more damage, but the Casaba Howitzer bolt is instantaneous, non-interceptable, and would still do massive damage to an aircraft carrier.

Mr. Lowther estimates that each Casaba-Howitzer round would have a yield "up to a few kilotons" and could deliver close to 50% of that energy in the spear of nuclear flame. Three kiltons is 1.256 × 10^13 joules, 50% of that is 6.276 × 10^12 joules per bolt.

This is thirty-five times as powerful as a GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb, the second most powerful non-nuclear weapon ever designed. Per bolt.

What is the mass and volume of a Casaba-Howitzer charge? Apparently this also is still classified. An Orion Drive nuclear pulse unit would be about 1,150 kg, have a blast yield of about 29 kilotons, and be a cylinder with a radius of 0.4 meters and a height of 0.87 meters. The volume would therefore be about 0.4 cubic meters. As previously mentioned a Casaba-Howitzer charge would have a yield ranging from sub-kiloton to a few kilotons, so presumably it would be smaller and of lower mass than a pulse unit.
Any sufficiently advanced propulsion system is also a weapons system.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Apr 11, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Or us. We used it on Gemini and a bunch of ICBMs.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Kwyndig posted:

also the rocket runs hot enough it would vaporize tungsten

Great, more reaction mass!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Us Americans are way more cautious, we use MONOmethyl-hydrazine with our N2O4. :colbert:

But for real everyone uses hypergolics once you've detached from the stack.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zopotantor posted:

Great, more reaction mass!

If that's your reaction 'will destroy anything reasonable we can make the rocket out of' then you're secretly a rocket engineer, aren't you?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Bhodi posted:

the coolest thing that came out nuclear shaped-charge research was the "Casaba-Howitzer" program which is a still-classified nuclear directed energy weapon

Any sufficiently advanced propulsion system is also a weapons system.

It's one thing I never got about the Star Trek/Star Wars universes, if you have FTL travel why do you need some massive fleet of super weapons when all it takes is a Volvo going .99c smacking into a planet to completely ruin the biosphere forever? Not to mention warp drive, holy poo poo a pinhead traveling at those velocities would annihilate planets. Got enemies? Set a drone to warp 9 into their home planet. No more enemies.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

If that's your reaction 'will destroy anything reasonable we can make the rocket out of' then you're secretly a rocket engineer, aren't you?

The platonic ideal of propulsion is sending the entire propulsion system rearwards at high velocity.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think in Star Trek they get around that by saying warp drives don't cause relativistic effects, so something moving at .99c doesn't have near infinite potential kinetic energy trapped into its momentum if it's under warp.

That shouldn't stop them from using gravity to hurl giant rocks at poo poo though.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

I think in Star Trek they get around that by saying warp drives don't cause relativistic effects, so something moving at .99c doesn't have near infinite potential kinetic energy trapped into its momentum if it's under warp.

That shouldn't stop them from using gravity to hurl giant rocks at poo poo though.

Hurling giant rocks at poo poo is banned in the Space Geneva Convention.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hurling giant rocks is the subject of a great bit of 40k fluff detailing the fuel and supplies it would take to get a rock and protect it until impact a long time later, and concluding with just shooting the planet being much cheaper.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kwyndig posted:

I think they handwave relativistic weapons as obsolete by posing shield tech as a perfect point defense system against anything made of matter.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

xthetenth posted:

Hurling giant rocks is the subject of a great bit of 40k fluff detailing the fuel and supplies it would take to get a rock and protect it until impact a long time later, and concluding with just shooting the planet being much cheaper.

Well yeah, that's 40k, any competently defended world is already going to have giant cannons pointed at the sky to blow up incoming rocks because they might have Orks in them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, if you can ignore relativistic effects with your ship, you just have a little ship scoot over the the rock and nudge it over to the side a bit.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
one of the movies involves a non-governmental actor setting off supernovas and it is treated just like a dude having access to nuclear weapons; real bad but hardly an unknown variable

flinging rocks just can't rate

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

xthetenth posted:

you don't really have to defend the rock though, just coat it in something IR absorbent with a heat sink on the back and let it fly. if they shoot it it just becomes a million tiny rocks which is probably worse.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Minarchist posted:

It's one thing I never got about the Star Trek/Star Wars universes, if you have FTL travel why do you need some massive fleet of super weapons when all it takes is a Volvo going .99c smacking into a planet to completely ruin the biosphere forever? Not to mention warp drive, holy poo poo a pinhead traveling at those velocities would annihilate planets. Got enemies? Set a drone to warp 9 into their home planet. No more enemies.

In Star Wars the handwaving is that you can't travel through hyperspace too close to a gravity well, the Empire even has special star destroyers that use captive black holes or some poo poo to project a "mass shadow" that will pull a hyperspacing ship into realspace if it passes through it. So trying to use a hyperspace Volvo to destroy a planet would just result in the Volvo dropping out of hyperspace back to a much slower speed once it got close enough to the planet, and depending on the author the Volvo would probably just blow up too.

No idea bout the Trekfluff.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

In Star Wars the handwaving is that you can't travel through hyperspace too close to a gravity well
Which they handily break in The Force Awakens when the Millenium Falcon drops out of hyperspace at treetop level at the new death star planet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Which they handily break in The Force Awakens when the Millenium Falcon drops out of hyperspace at treetop level at the new death star planet

Ah you see, the falcon is such a piece of poo poo with turned-off safety features so good a tweaked-out supership that it can get closer to the gravity well than other ships can.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tunicate posted:

Ah you see, the falcon is such a piece of poo poo with turned-off safety features so good a tweaked-out supership that it can get closer to the gravity well than other ships can.

Something something Kessel run in 12 parsecs.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

well you see the planet sized superweapon somehow no longer has a gravity well, therefore

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Phanatic posted:

In Star Wars the handwaving is that you can't travel through hyperspace too close to a gravity well, the Empire even has special star destroyers that use captive black holes or some poo poo to project a "mass shadow" that will pull a hyperspacing ship into realspace if it passes through it. So trying to use a hyperspace Volvo to destroy a planet would just result in the Volvo dropping out of hyperspace back to a much slower speed once it got close enough to the planet

Because the computer pulls it out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Because the computer pulls it out.

The pulling out method really isn't all that safe .

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

xthetenth posted:

The platonic ideal of propulsion is sending the entire propulsion system rearwards at high velocity.

The problem there is that the propulsion system would rapidly transform into a cloud of poisonous radioactive plasma that would also consume the craft.

Now, if you could invent an propulsion system that could safely disintegrate into reaction mass and hurl itself away that would be fantastic... that design was not it though.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Thinking in terms of actual physics, our own interpretation of warp drive would also be expanding space and then shrinking, so you actually can't just throw a theoretical piece of German engineering into a planet at .99c.

However, the amount of energy you'd need to get your Volvo functioning as an Alcubierre drive is more than enough to just outright vaporize earth sized objects soo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
So what you're saying is we need to use Mazdas and not Volvo's?