Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
yeah I had that happen to me but with a gatling bazooka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

oddium posted:

is it possible with stress at 1 hp to fire the grenade rifle so fast that the grenades chain a stream of explosions back and kill you because i think that's what happened to me just now

Yeah I did that with an Ima Gun God stress build and a gatling zooka

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They had to nerf its fire rate at one point because that could happen without even any fire rate bonuses.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I really wish explosives were better. Considering how dangerous they are to you -- even with Boiling Veins -- they just don't seem powerful enough to be worth it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah explosive weapons are Bad unless your other options are truly terrible, or it's the jackhammer. Back in update 95 when hit detection was bugged and both lasers and explosions did way more damage than they were supposed to they felt pretty good and I wished they stayed at that level of power.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I've had a lot of success and fun with the grenade rifle, grenade shotgun, auto-grenade shotgun, and ultra grenade launcher. They do a poo poo-load of damage for the ammo, and the explosions are pretty. I wouldn't take any of those without boiling veins, though*. As long as you haven't taken rhino skin, getting knocked to 4 hp isn't terrible. Gatling bazooka will kill you every time, and the flame cannon is terrible, but other than that they're good weapons. The dragon in particular is surprisingly good on crowds.

*Well actually, I would, but I would eventually kill myself.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There is virtually always a better choice, eventually. Especially since once you get far enough, eventually you will hit a wall where you basically just need melee to get through(even if you're crystal), and the best thing to pair with that is usually a good trigger fingers weapon, and there isn't any explosive weapon which is very good at that. Super Bazooka is ok but you can do so much better. And if we're not talking about trigger fingers, grenade rifle/auto grenade shotgun get beaten in usefulness not only by mainstays like auto crossbow, gatling slugger, hyper rifle energy sword/hammer etc but also weaker weapons like auto flame shotgun, splinter pistol w/bolt marrow, minigun...

Weapons like grenade rifle are fine to pick up preloop/early into loop as a shortterm solution for lack of damage until you find something better but that's it. Longterm if you want to get a good score you're gonna be trading up eventually because there are weapons that match or exceed them in killing capacity without the risk(and in the case of melee, with incredible added defensive benefit), and if you're talking about "powerful" weapons there is nothing that kills as well as something that can snowball with trigger fingers, like a super crossbow or plasma cannon or super plasma cannon or super flak cannon etc etc. Which is why all the best scores are like 'Good melee weapon+Good fingers weapon'.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Hyper Launcher and Ultra grenade launcher are really good and viable in loops imo. Horheristo (the top scoring player of all time) rolls with the ultra 'nade launcher + energy sword a lot, if he can't find the god combo (super plasma cannon + ultra shovel). The big advantage explosive weapons have is that you can dig out terrain to your advantage, which is also why the SPC is so good.

The basic grenade launcher is a great pickup in 1-1, it can one or two-shot every enemy up till the palace at a high fire rate and low ammo cost without any mutations, which is great! I also dig the blood launcher if I don't have any good melee.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Only just got this game, still working on getting good enough to reach the throne. I've only made it past lil hunter twice and both times I died nearly immediately to poo poo in 7-1. I was doing well my last run but I'm not used to crystal's teleport and when I thought I was just shielding I popped over into a swarm of bullets and rip.

Are there any unlocks I should be shooting for early on, or should I just focus on getting good enough to beat the throne at this point?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thank loving Christ I've finally unlocked Melting's B skin. Got the combination of decent weapons, decent level spawns, and no dumb mistakes I needed. My last effort that came close died on 7-2 after I walked into a Euphoria-slowed green ball. :downs:

Nighthand posted:

Are there any unlocks I should be shooting for early on, or should I just focus on getting good enough to beat the throne at this point?

I'd say just focus on getting good, but if you want you can try to get some gold weapons by taking a screwdriver to 3-1 and smacking the special car with it. Gold weapons are marginally better than normal weapons of their type, plus you can start with them. Watch out though -- each character can only have one gold weapon unlocked at a time, so if you get a new one it'll replace your old one.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, unlocks are not necessary for playing the game. The best characters for starting out (imo) are unlocked right away (crystal / fish), so just play this game until the end of time and have fun

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I have a gold weapon on every character, but that's because I'm trying to get all the b-skins and that's the requirement for YV's. Gold weapons are nice but not necessary, and crowns, by design, hurt you as much as they help you. If you wanna get to the throne consistently, just keep playing, and prioritize mutations that provide healing or help you survive.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sade posted:

crowns, by design, hurt you as much as they help you. If you wanna get to the throne consistently, just keep playing, and prioritize mutations that provide healing or help you survive.

And you can't unlock crowns without beating the game anyway. But yeah, mutations like Iron Skin, Strong Spirit, Bloodlust, Rabbit's Paw, and Second Stomach are all really good for helping you to get further than you otherwise would. Grab as many of them as you can.

IMO Rebel is a better newbie character than Crystal, thanks to her free healing with each portal...but you can't play her without beating the game! Or more specifically, looping.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

In related news, Enter The Gungeon just released: http://store.steampowered.com/app/311690/
In short, it's Nuclear Throne + Binding of Isaac. Gets really good reviews, so it might be up the alley of most posters here.

e: SA thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771090

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sade posted:

and crowns, by design, hurt you as much as they help you.
Well, not all of them. ex: crown of curses is, in my opinion, almost always better to have than not to have once you're used to the game.

Samopsa posted:

In short, it's Nuclear Throne + Binding of Isaac. Gets really good reviews, so it might be up the alley of most posters here.
IDK if I'd say it's got more BoI influence than any other thing. To me it's another twinstick shooter, closer to NT in that you have multiple distinct weapons you get instead of one 'shot type' that gradually changes, and with more bullet hell influence than normal+a dodgeroll.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna post that Gungeon thing. Looks in the video like everyone gets a Fish style dodge roll with invincibility frames, that could be interesting.

Edit: lol, the developer is literally named "dodge roll"

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I think crown of haste is a pretty good bet, especially if you have the mutation that hoovers up rads and items from further away.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I think crown of haste is a pretty good bet, especially if you have the mutation that hoovers up rads and items from further away.

It's +1 ammo/health from ammo and health drops at the cost of everything (including rads) fading 3x more quickly. The +1 health is okay, the +1 ammo is nearly meaningless, and the vastly faster fadeout means you'll be tempted to run into fights to grab drops before they disappear, which is nearly always a bad idea.

Really the only crown I think is unalloyed good is Crown of Risk when trying to get Melting's B skin, since you'll basically never be at less than full health anyway. Grabbing Crown of Destiny in zone 5 can also be good if you've already got your build and don't mind being locked to ultra A (or if you somehow managed to get your ultra already by that point).

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Captain finally killed.

The struggle is over (I wish)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Crown of destiny can be very good on horror.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Crown of Curses is probably my favourite for anyone who isn't Chicken or Robot. Better weapons and a cool "awwhhoooo" sound effect when you open a cursed chest AND a heap of rads if you can survive the cursed crystal caves.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's +1 ammo/health from ammo and health drops at the cost of everything (including rads) fading 3x more quickly. The +1 health is okay, the +1 ammo is nearly meaningless, and the vastly faster fadeout means you'll be tempted to run into fights to grab drops before they disappear, which is nearly always a bad idea.

Really the only crown I think is unalloyed good is Crown of Risk when trying to get Melting's B skin, since you'll basically never be at less than full health anyway. Grabbing Crown of Destiny in zone 5 can also be good if you've already got your build and don't mind being locked to ultra A (or if you somehow managed to get your ultra already by that point).

Robot w/Crown of Guns is a perfect synergy.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 6, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

Robot w/Crown of Guns is a perfect synergy.

Until you run out of ammo while fighting the Throne and die while trying to shuffle your guns with the one on the floor so you don't eat the one you're shooting with. Like happened to me yesterday.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, crown of guns just totally stalls at the the throne if you find yourself short of ammo.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

This week's Weekly is Y.V. with Crown of Blood and the Guitar. :getin:

e: and Long Arms is in the very first set of mutations

megane fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 9, 2016

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

megane posted:

This week's Weekly is Y.V. with Crown of Blood and the Guitar. :getin:

Holy poo poo play this weekly it is the best

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Whelp, I've finally unlocked Crown of Blood with a character despite my best run ever only making it to 3-3 L1.

Protip: there's a Super Crossbow at 3-3 L0 in the weekly. Bolt Marrow only shows up once AFAICT.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have nasty mouse lag issues in this game? I poked around a little and saw some forum complaints, along with claims that lowering polling rate in Logitech software might fix it, but no dice there. It makes what seems like a fun game feel kind of lovely to play.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The devs have said directly that the game just reads your windows mouse location and uses that, so that is a weird problem to have.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I haven't had any and I have a logitech, so I guess it must be an issue with a specific type? Try plugging in a different mouse and see if it works I suppose.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Does anyone have nasty mouse lag issues in this game? I poked around a little and saw some forum complaints, along with claims that lowering polling rate in Logitech software might fix it, but no dice there. It makes what seems like a fun game feel kind of lovely to play.

The only other thing I can think of is that you might be a little sensitive to the capped 30fps framerate. Every once in a while it feels weird to me, but that feeling tends to go away pretty quickly.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

This is a problem probably no one else has, but for the longest time nuclear throne either never appeared in my volume mixer in windows 10. I assumed it was an issue with the game, but since it's out of early access and the issue was still there I started googling about it. Turns out if you have a Xonar DGX sound card, there's a setting called "GX" in the audio center for it that for some reason fucks with certain games' audio and prevents it from appearing in windows' volume mixer. Like I said, I'm sure this isn't an issue many other people might have encountered but it'd been driving me up a wall since I like to listen to podcasts while gaming so I figure I might as well share in case it's happening to anyone else.

On an unrelated note: I managed to pick up/store a golden assault rifle with YV. The fire rate is completely ridiculous, I'm burning through ammo almost as fast as a minigun but nothing can stand in front of me without melting

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bought this game a few days ago. It's so good!

I like that I can pretty much feel myself getting better at this game. Two days ago I didn't think I would ever kill Lil' Hunter. Yesterday I finally made it to the Throne (and immediately died to the laser, of course).

This morning I killed the Throne twice. Sat on it the first time, looped the second (and immediately died to the popo, of course).

Kinda regretting that I had to find out about this game by buying Enter the Gungeon and reading in that thread that this game was pretty much better in every way, but, hey.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, crown of guns just totally stalls at the the throne if you find yourself short of ammo.

Does the throne drop ammo but not guns somehow? I don't get to it very often.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RyokoTK posted:

Kinda regretting that I had to find out about this game by buying Enter the Gungeon and reading in that thread that this game was pretty much better in every way, but, hey.
Welcome, friend, to the real hotness.

Your life will be truly consumed once you start doing dailies on the reg

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gungeon is good but extremely flawed. It is going to take a lot for a dodgy twin stick shooter to top nuclear throne. It has pretty much set the standard for the genre in my eyes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

Does the throne drop ammo but not guns somehow? I don't get to it very often.

Its big-orb attack almost always drops ammo (like, 80+% chance). But as I understand it, Crown of Guns sets all ammo drop rates to 0%, and then adds an 8% weapon drop rate to everything. So those big orbs would have a 0% chance to drop ammo and an 8% chance to drop weapons. Considering how much health the Throne has, you almost always need those ammo drops, especially if you plan on looping the game.

It's not so lopsided in normal gameplay, as most enemies have a relatively small ammo drop rate and the weapon drop rate mostly compensates. You still have to deal with the fact that the dropped weapon may not have ammo of a type you need, of course.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Its big-orb attack almost always drops ammo (like, 80+% chance). But as I understand it, Crown of Guns sets all ammo drop rates to 0%, and then adds an 8% weapon drop rate to everything. So those big orbs would have a 0% chance to drop ammo and an 8% chance to drop weapons. Considering how much health the Throne has, you almost always need those ammo drops, especially if you plan on looping the game.

It's not so lopsided in normal gameplay, as most enemies have a relatively small ammo drop rate and the weapon drop rate mostly compensates. You still have to deal with the fact that the dropped weapon may not have ammo of a type you need, of course.

Unless they patched it since I've never seen throne orbs drop a gun. 8% can be few and far between if you get bad rolls I guess.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Digirat posted:

Gungeon is good but extremely flawed. It is going to take a lot for a dodgy twin stick shooter to top nuclear throne. It has pretty much set the standard for the genre in my eyes.

Early game gungeon is so slow, I usually can't be bothered to start it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

RyokoTK posted:

Bought this game a few days ago. It's so good!

I like that I can pretty much feel myself getting better at this game. Two days ago I didn't think I would ever kill Lil' Hunter. Yesterday I finally made it to the Throne (and immediately died to the laser, of course).

This morning I killed the Throne twice. Sat on it the first time, looped the second (and immediately died to the popo, of course).

Enter the Gungeon was such a horrible disappointment I've started dumping hours into Nuclear Throne again. It's loving glacially slow, and when it actually gets interesting to dodge and weave every enemy has too much HP to be interesting. I don't even want to start the argument in the game's thread because apparently everyone likes it.

^ Like it takes 7 minutes to clear the first floor. I could be killing Lil Hunter by then.

• Locked thread