Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is this historical hipsterism?

Sure, Lincoln was great

Some of us know this guy named Polk, you wouldn't have heard of him :smugdog:

Not exactly, more that I think he's defined by the events that surrounded him and were circumstances different he might not have been so popular. He wanted to keep the status quo, if possible, but circumstances forced him into greatness.

There's not really anything wrong with that, a lot of great men are defined by their reactions to the challenges put before them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lord of Pie posted:

He definitely had the chops for the job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
The South participated in a free and fair election, lost, and wouldn't abide by the result. Textbook treason. If you don't think Lincoln deserves his status, picture his predecessor or successor on the job. Or that vacillating snake Douglas.

I go by the endorsements of a different Douglass:

"I know the man. I like a man in the Presidential chair . . . such as the poor people of my own race, as well as the poor people of every other race, can approach, and approach easily."

...in fact, this Fred Douglass fellow would make a fine President himself. What better way to end the quarrel, than to nominate a son of Dixie to the Presidency?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jai Guru Dave posted:

The South participated in a free and fair election, lost, and wouldn't abide by the result. Textbook treason. If you don't think Lincoln deserves his status, picture his predecessor or successor on the job. Or that vacillating snake Douglas.

I go by the endorsements of a different Douglass:

"I know the man. I like a man in the Presidential chair . . . such as the poor people of my own race, as well as the poor people of every other race, can approach, and approach easily."

...in fact, this Fred Douglass fellow would make a fine President himself. What better way to end the quarrel, than to nominate a son of Dixie to the Presidency?

Too bad the Equal Rights Party didn't get 0.5% of the popular vote in 1872. I have no doubt in my mind that goons would vote for them in a landslide.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh, but there's an even better candidate for this thread in 1872 - John Quincy Adams II, fourth in the Adams dynasty. Don't break the streak!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Pakled posted:

Too bad the Equal Rights Party didn't get 0.5% of the popular vote in 1872. I have no doubt in my mind that goons would vote for them in a landslide.

Maybe, what's their platform on Hollow Earth?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

So the perfect goon candidate is someone who wants to free the slaves and treat them equally, loves hard cider and loving the South, wants to root out the Freemason menace, launch a expedition to the center of the earth, might engage in freemounting and whos last name is Adams?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

SpRahl posted:

So the perfect goon candidate is someone who wants to free the slaves and treat them equally, loves hard cider and loving the South, wants to root out the Freemason menace, launch a expedition to the center of the earth, might engage in freemounting and whos last name is Adams?

Well, in 1872...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Quincy_Adams_II

quote:

Adams received one vote for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States at the 1868 Democratic National Convention.[6] In 1872 the faction of Democrats that refused to support Horace Greeley nominated Charles O'Conor for president and John Quincy Adams II for vice-president on the "straight Democratic" ticket. They declined, but their names remained on the ballot in some states.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Corek posted:

Oh, but there's an even better candidate for this thread in 1872 - John Quincy Adams II, fourth in the Adams dynasty. Don't break the streak!

ADAMS!!!

*Your Most Illustrious Benign Exalted Highness the Honorable Gentleman Protector of the Rights!!!*

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

It will be interesting to see which is more powerful, goon love for the Adamses or their hatred of states' rights.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This thread inspired me to look up the Adams family (heh) and I was pleased to discover that apparently it's still going strong with verifiable genealogy today. One of John Adams' great-grandsons was a Harvard football coach before he died in 1900 at the age of 37 from tuberculosis.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Meanwhile, Jefferson's descendants are still trying to pretend that Hemmings never existed.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Apr 12, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

jesus

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s what the old man† would have wanted. :911:

†The Apostle of Democracy, The Sage of Monticello, The Pen of the Revolution, Long Tom

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Missed quite a bit of this thread, any entertaining ridiculous timelines or alternate history so far?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

Missed quite a bit of this thread, any entertaining ridiculous timelines or alternate history so far?

SpRahl posted:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also could we possibly... freemount an expedition to the center of the earth?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

AceRimmer posted:

QuoProQuid posted:

In this timeline, the word "Americanize" is used to describe the process of fragmentation of a state into smaller, deeply hostile states. Also, the Balkans are a unified and peaceful place.

I think that about sums it all up.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

AceRimmer posted:

We elected a president from the Anti-Masonic party so you tell me

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I choose to believe that states have been abolished by this point. The country is now just United America.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In our timeline, Frémont brought the South to heel, and Lincoln oversaw reconstruction.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If there's one thing America doesn't have, it's slaves. Or Masons. Or peace.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

everybody seceded in 1790 and theyve just been watching their silly perpetual election machine spit out nonsense names and ideals while they quietly amended the constitution to create an electoral college instead of exclusively franchising gibbering future-demon freemounters

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

"What did the future machine say?" "It keeps printing ABOLISH SLAVERY over and over again"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
General Grant will bring peace to the Union of States under Adams.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the Anti-Masonic Union of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under Adams, easily divisible, with liberty and justice for all.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Part of it depends on how strictly you are following the elections and their candidates. If you are only considering the winners, then you create a whole host of fictional characters and parties to explain why groups like the Anti-Masons succeeded. If you are tethering yourself to both the winners and their opponents, then things get really hard. It is hard to imagine the Democrats remaining together as a party when, on average, their candidates only get about 25% of the popular vote.

The only way Washington would not get elected in 1789 would be if he was dead or on the verge of death. Historically, Washington became bedridden in Spring 1790, an incident that spurred Congress to pass the Presidential Succession Act of 1792. Given that, I suppose you could have a situation where Washington becomes terminally ill in late December 1789, causing the Electoral College to defect from Washington to John Adams to avoid a constitutional crisis on Day 1. If John Adams were to somehow avoid alienating everyone during his first-term, it's possible that Thomas Jefferson and others would endorse him for a second and (maybe) third term. At that point, though, Congress would probably be sick of His Rotundity.

The Election of 1800 is a little harder because we ended up electing John Adams as a Vice-President. Given the results, where former Vice-President Aaron Burr ended up one vote behind Adams, you could probably write up some convoluted Jay-Burr Conspiracy where the two agreed to work together to save the Republic and prevent Adams from crowning himself King. A last minute stumble among the two and their co-conspirators might explain how Adams ended up Vice-President anyway.

With a bitter Adams in the wings, John Jay's presidency probably would have gone over like a lead balloon, causing a backlash against the Federalists and allowing Jefferson to gain office. From there, I'm not sure.

EDIT: And, ironically, this thread probably neutered Alexander Hamilton's influence on the United States. Washington was the only reason that Hamilton got as far as he did, and Adams loathed the bastard orphan upstart. If the United States has a national bank, it is going to look vastly different.

EDIT 2: The above assumes that the United States is not experiencing constant civil wars.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Apr 12, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
In this universe, Hamilton will be a hit hip-hop musical (I assume hip-hop still exists) about the fairly boring story of a bastard orphan from the Caribbean who comes to America and is completely shut out of all positions of power. Its villain is President Adams, making it a shocking and avant-garde piece.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jesus, two centuries later and the Jeffersons still want to gently caress the Hemmings over.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Quorum posted:

(I assume hip-hop still exists)

Pretty sure we voted in some guy who had a platform of deporting all the slaves to africa so if hip hop does exist, it came about differently.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Pretty sure we voted in some guy who had a platform of deporting all the slaves to africa so if hip hop does exist, it came about differently.

He probably didn't actually succeed at deporting all the ex-slaves on account of the constant civil wars, though.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

I'm pretty sure if we followed Goon election results in the real world, we would've been a Mad Max-ian Somali Hell State by the 1860s.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Cross-posting from the USPOL thread (thanks zoux):

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/719961225942155264

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Cross-posting from the USPOL thread (thanks zoux):

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/719961225942155264

:smith:

RIP Best POTUS Ever

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh poo poo time to brief Truman about that thing we’ve been working on.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world

Platystemon posted:

Maybe Stalin can do it at the next summit.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Oh, don't you worry about Harry. He's gonna take care of Eleanor juuuuussttt fine :pervert:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe I'm just biased, coming from Independence and all, but Truman was actually a good president.

e: Nukes and all. :colbert:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Maybe I'm just biased, coming from Independence and all, but Truman was actually a good president.

e: Nukes and all. :colbert:

This is really interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_steel_strike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Thank you for voting. Inspired by his successes in the field, the American public has almost unanimously selected Ulysses S. Grant to be the next President of the United States and Protector of their Liberties. Grant, known for his scrupulous honesty, is sure to restore honor and dignity to the United States and throw out all the corrupt officials that Andrew Johnson allowed to fester within the Executive.

To help Grant achieve his mission, the morally-pure Schuyler Colfax has been elected Vice President. Colfax’s integrity and honesty is sure to keep this country on the right track.

MOST POPULAR TICKET:

Ulysses S. Grant / Schuyler Colfax (Republican) - 71 votes (97.3%)
Horatio Seymour / Francis P. Blair (Democratic) - 2 votes (2.7%)
TOTAL: 73 votes

• Locked thread