Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bob NewSCART posted:

Please don't say anything about an HK stronghold, please

How about a Darth Vader head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So what is good tradeskill wise for a fresh imperial agent? Scavenging, cybertech, and slicing seems to pop up a lot in some of the guides I've read but I can't be sure if they are outdated by the new content.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Seriously though I would love a Manaan stronghold or a Star Fortress stronghold. As long as it was like Nar Shaddaa and accessible to both factions.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Trast posted:

So what is good tradeskill wise for a fresh imperial agent? Scavenging, cybertech, and slicing seems to pop up a lot in some of the guides I've read but I can't be sure if they are outdated by the new content.

tradeskills are worthless as far as character use goes.

https://i.imgur.com/wwhiUn6.png

use that to pick whatever combo you want. I'd probably just pick whichever one makes your weapon of choice, but again it's largely not worth the $$ while leveling to keep doing it compared to crystals for an orange weapon shell and same goes for the gear.

If you plan on doing conquest at least pick one of the crafting skills is my only advice. My sorc has no crafting and therefore doesn't get the easy crafting conquest points and the repeatable conquest week is a total no-go.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Trast posted:

As Telex said crafting is largely a money sink. Don't pick it up expecting to craft gear for yourself to have amazing gear - you're better off just running Heroics for gear every few levels.

Artifice is a decent skill to have on at least one character if you like doing pretty princess dress up as you can make dyes. Also, you can craft relics which are historically a harder item to get.

Cybertech is nearly worthless at this point, nothing special differentiates it from just buying gear with crystals.

Biochem is nice to have on one character to make your own stims.

If you just want to make money I'd pick Scavenging, Bioanalysis and Slicing to just gather as you level. Then sell the mats on the GTN to others who actually want to craft.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

As Telex said crafting is largely a money sink. Don't pick it up expecting to craft gear for yourself to have amazing gear - you're better off just running Heroics for gear every few levels.

Artifice is a decent skill to have on at least one character if you like doing pretty princess dress up as you can make dyes. Also, you can craft relics which are historically a harder item to get.

Cybertech is nearly worthless at this point, nothing special differentiates it from just buying gear with crystals.

Biochem is nice to have on one character to make your own stims.

If you just want to make money I'd pick Scavenging, Bioanalysis and Slicing to just gather as you level. Then sell the mats on the GTN to others who actually want to craft.

Cybertech will let you make a handful of vehicles. I've actually crafted a couple of 216 or 220 weapons with Artifice (I'm not a raider, so I don't have any other way of getting those.)

And I would be cautious about the Scavenging/Bioanalysis/Slicing setup -- if you're one of those obsessives (:shobon:) who feel like they have to pick up a node when it's on the minimap, you'll never finish.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Cybertech will let you make a handful of vehicles. I've actually crafted a couple of 216 or 220 weapons with Artifice (I'm not a raider, so I don't have any other way of getting those.)

Yeah but there is no benefit to those vehicles, so yeah you can craft them but the mats are ridiculous and chances are you can find a Cybertech to craft one for you for mats if you really want one.

And yeah you can make 216/220 stuff with most professions butttttt if you're not raiding you don't need it anyway. :)

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I don't know if they sell as well any more but I could put a lightsaber up for 1.75m and it'd sell almost instantly for a good two months.

I don't figure most people realize that higher level stuff doesn't actually do much for 'em, but i'm happy to take their money anyway.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Yeah but there is no benefit to those vehicles, so yeah you can craft them but the mats are ridiculous and chances are you can find a Cybertech to craft one for you for mats if you really want one.

Right -- there's nothing gameplay-special or visually-special about the Cybertech vehicles. I just use my hotrigged speeder bike because I was so proud of myself when I finally built it, back in the day. :blush:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Telex posted:

I don't know if they sell as well any more but I could put a lightsaber up for 1.75m and it'd sell almost instantly for a good two months.

I don't figure most people realize that higher level stuff doesn't actually do much for 'em, but i'm happy to take their money anyway.

Yeah, of course that's about the cost of selling the raw mats for it though. ;)

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Medullah posted:

Yeah, of course that's about the cost of selling the raw mats for it though. ;)

how the gently caress are you selling things for double what I can?

The strategic resources are maybe 400k on a great day (almost never) and the exotic isotopes are 40k.

You're doubling your money by crafting it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Telex posted:

how the gently caress are you selling things for double what I can?

The strategic resources are maybe 400k on a great day (almost never) and the exotic isotopes are 40k.

You're doubling your money by crafting it.

Don't they take 3 of the Matrixes though?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Medullah posted:

Don't they take 3 of the Matrixes though?

Not the 216's.

https://torcommunity.com/database/schematic/m9LxlgC/defiant+onslaught+lightsaber+mk26/

the 220's take 3 and I assume those would sell for more than 1.75 mil as a result.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ah I assumed that you were talking about the 220s.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

on my first character, i took scavenging, underworld metals, and armortech. i was able to keep grinding all 3 while i leveled, craft armor for myself (crafted armor is always better than heroic reward armor of the same level), and stay positive on credits by selling my surplus mats. when i'd sell them, i'd always just undercut the market to sell them fastest and i still stayed credit positive. this is all without realizing i could use cores to buy companion items and sell them.

i'm fairly good at looking at a system and figuring out the ways to make it work, but i do not think it is as hard to do for a new player as you guys say, and i think you underestimate the value.

so yeah, if you are gonna take a crafting skill rather than just gathering/mission ones and selling the mats, i'd reccomrnd armortech, synthtech, or arms/artifice depending on what weapons you use.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cams posted:

on my first character, i took scavenging, underworld metals, and armortech. i was able to keep grinding all 3 while i leveled, craft armor for myself (crafted armor is always better than heroic reward armor of the same level), and stay positive on credits by selling my surplus mats. when i'd sell them, i'd always just undercut the market to sell them fastest and i still stayed credit positive. this is all without realizing i could use cores to buy companion items and sell them.

This was recent? The Heroic armor rewards are going to be superior to basic crafted armor, and only inferior to purple gear that's been learned through reverse engineering.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

This was recent? The Heroic armor rewards are going to be superior to basic crafted armor, and only inferior to purple gear that's been learned through reverse engineering.
just started playing again a few weeks ago, so yeah. i think you are incorrect about the quality of crafted armor, because for instance when i crafted level 32 stuff, the gear (that is scaled to my level) i'd get from heroics and flashpoints would be worse or as good as the gear that is levels below it. i am fairly confident saying that if you are level 40, craft a set of level 40 gear, it is gonna be better than blue gear you'll get from heroics or flashpoints. not better by an insane margin, but objectively better statwise.

edit: i am level 40 right now and actually crafted myself a set of 40 armor, i will do a heroic to compare

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

cams posted:

just started playing again a few weeks ago, so yeah. i think you are incorrect about the quality of crafted armor, because for instance when i crafted level 32 stuff, the gear (that is scaled to my level) i'd get from heroics and flashpoints would be worse or as good as the gear that is levels below it. i am fairly confident saying that if you are level 40, craft a set of level 40 gear, it is gonna be better than blue gear you'll get from heroics or flashpoints. not better by an insane margin, but objectively better statwise.

edit: i am level 40 right now and actually crafted myself a set of 40 armor, i will do a heroic to compare

You're ignoring the value of your time.

The time spent crafting things (because you will piss around a lot gathering stuff while leveling if you stop to do it all the time to say the least, not to mention just the pushing of the buttons to get things from the skills, the organizing of the items, etc etc) is entirely wasted, when by the time you can craft the gear at l32, you could be at L34 instead. Or beyond. Constantly. Taking 5 minutes every 10 levels to buy crystals for gear is way way way way more worth your time.

Save crafting for when you're sitting in a PVP queue for 30 mins at a time or otherwise don't have anything to do. It goes way faster when you have 5-6 guys crafting than while you're piddling around with 2. Even if you have Treek or other companions so you can max out your available slots at low levels and still have a companion out in the game.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Telex posted:

You're ignoring the value of your time.

The time spent crafting things (because you will piss around a lot gathering stuff while leveling if you stop to do it all the time to say the least, not to mention just the pushing of the buttons to get things from the skills, the organizing of the items, etc etc) is entirely wasted, when by the time you can craft the gear at l32, you could be at L34 instead. Or beyond. Constantly. Taking 5 minutes every 10 levels to buy crystals for gear is way way way way more worth your time.

Save crafting for when you're sitting in a PVP queue for 30 mins at a time or otherwise don't have anything to do. It goes way faster when you have 5-6 guys crafting than while you're piddling around with 2. Even if you have Treek or other companions so you can max out your available slots at low levels and still have a companion out in the game.
i am not sitting around crafting stuff, i am doing it while i do the story or heroics or flashpoints or my pvp dailies or whatever. the crafting system in this game does not require you to actually spend time on it beyond hitting buttons on a menu while you do other stuff?

i'm not saying it's necessary but i'm on my third character now and i am very glad i got someone who can make adaptive armor for my other characters as they level up. all i'm doing is grinding the story and at a certain point you don't need to do heroics at all to stay ahead on levels, so i tend to fall behind on gear..

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The REALLY smart thing to do if you plan on leveling a bunch of alts would be to grab a few sets of legacy armor and fill them up with level 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55 armorings, mods and enhancements and leave them in legacy vault so you have current gear every 10 levels. :)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

The REALLY smart thing to do if you plan on leveling a bunch of alts would be to grab a few sets of legacy armor and fill them up with level 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55 armorings, mods and enhancements and leave them in legacy vault so you have current gear every 10 levels. :)
didn't even know there was a legacy storage, don't know where i'd get a bunch of sets of legacy armor, but sure.

i'm just saying that i found crafting much more useful and much less difficult than you guys have been saying.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That's good, sorry if I'm sounding harsh on you.

It's just that the game is at the point right now where gear is largely irrelevant, and you can up the influence of your companion to the level where they can do almost all the work for you.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I usually take a gathering mission and diplomacy (because I'm weird about alignment points) while I'm leveling a character. I save everything I gather and then when I feel like it pick up a related crafting skill and just max it out real quick. Crafting is insanely easy now. You definitely don't need to loot every gathering node you see, they vomit materials all over you. I just pick up convenient nodes that are right in my path and I end with way more than enough to level up a crafting skill. And crafting skills are incredibly easy to level too, you just make a bunch of the component pieces and you'll be maxed out in no time.

I have biochem, synthweaving, and artifice maxed out on characters now and artifice seems pretty useless to me but I make stims with biochem and make a decent profit selling them. I have a poo poo ton of the purple diplomacy mats though because 50 influence companions crit like crazy. I make some money with synthweaving from selling augments, too. I also like being able to make my own. The highest tier gathering mats are really easy to farm right now. I just do like a 10 minute loop around the Zakuul swamps and end up with 200+ of each type.

Treasure hunting is a decent mission skill. The max level lockboxes give you 2-3k credits plus a green/blue/purple item that vendors for like 2-6k so you end up making a small profit just doing that. Investigation sucks unless you want lots of companion gifts, since for some reason the time it takes to run those is shorter than for other skills. Slicing is probably the best gathering skill to grab if you don't have a particular crafting skill in mind.

I don't bother making gear or anything that requires more complicated materials because I'm real lazy.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Thanks for the advice everyone.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Really it boils down to "if you like crafting, do it." I just wanted to make the case that I've found it useful and easy as a new player. Since I'm trying to do all 8 class stories, I am giving every new character one crafting skill and two of the collection skills for it, and I am pmuch always maxed out on them once I finish the story, so I like having those crafters available.

PS, until Medullah mentioned legacy storage which I did not know existed, I hadn't even gotten a stronghold yet cause I figured it was just player housing and not useful. I did not realize I could teleport there any time without a cooldown, use it to get to my ship or the fleet, and put up a bunch of useful poo poo. That really makes my life a lot easier.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

cams posted:

Really it boils down to "if you like crafting, do it." I just wanted to make the case that I've found it useful and easy as a new player. Since I'm trying to do all 8 class stories, I am giving every new character one crafting skill and two of the collection skills for it, and I am pmuch always maxed out on them once I finish the story, so I like having those crafters available.

PS, until Medullah mentioned legacy storage which I did not know existed, I hadn't even gotten a stronghold yet cause I figured it was just player housing and not useful. I did not realize I could teleport there any time without a cooldown, use it to get to my ship or the fleet, and put up a bunch of useful poo poo. That really makes my life a lot easier.

Plus it gives you a bonus to conquest (which we failed on this week!). I've got mine up to +33% now

E: Although the guild ship also works for legacy storage, same deal with placing you back at your location I think.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my nar shaddaa stronghold has a mailbox/gtn terminal and both storage types one step away from where i spawn in and once i'm in a certain spot i don't even have to move to access all of them, makes commerce easier

it is very useful

cams
Mar 28, 2003

It was most surprising to me because because of all the various fast travel/fast travel cooldown legacy options, and how expensive the legacy spaceship GTN/mailbox upgrades were, made me think they were important... yeah having bought a stronghold is gonna make my life a million times easier.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cams posted:

It was most surprising to me because because of all the various fast travel/fast travel cooldown legacy options, and how expensive the legacy spaceship GTN/mailbox upgrades were, made me think they were important... yeah having bought a stronghold is gonna make my life a million times easier.

Using the guild ship is good if you're trying to get on a pug operation too, just relax on the ship doing your GTN and crap and you still see fleet chat.

Having the other strongholds is nice for quick travel to the various planets too. Want to do your Yavin dailies, just go to your stronghold and you're there.

(Of course for that you can just go to the quick travel terminal on the fleet, or even better spend 50k to unlock the CZ-198 quick travel which drops you right by one of the terminals and it's super quick time vs credits anyway)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

cams posted:

I still buy fleet teleport cooldown because I can't be arsed to zone twice to get there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jan posted:

I still buy fleet teleport cooldown because I can't be arsed to zone twice to get there.

Same here. Hell, I use emergency fleet pass to go from Ziost Shadow back to Valkin Spacedock.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

gently caress this would've made my life so much easier.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cravius posted:

gently caress this would've made my life so much easier.

Yeah I did it pre mastery with outfits for Treek. It was nice doing 12x with an already OP companion in purple modded gear every 10 levels.

Those pilot suits came in super handy.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I am coming back to this after a couple of years of break. I last played a few months before Revan-xpac was a thing.

Is there anyone willing to give me a brief on what has happened since?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

KittyEmpress posted:

I am coming back to this after a couple of years of break. I last played a few months before Revan-xpac was a thing.

Is there anyone willing to give me a brief on what has happened since?

Play the story and find out? It's still accessible and nothing is "irreversible" like some WoW expansions were. (Unless you start Knights of the Fallen Empire, but they'll tell you that very clearly if you try to do so.)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jan posted:

Play the story and find out? It's still accessible and nothing is "irreversible" like some WoW expansions were. (Unless you start Knights of the Fallen Empire, but they'll tell you that very clearly if you try to do so.)

I mean more mechanical changes, since I remember them talking back then about big sweeping changes to things like specs. Not plot info. I apologize that I was unclear.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

I mean more mechanical changes, since I remember them talking back then about big sweeping changes to things like specs. Not plot info. I apologize that I was unclear.

First couple OPs are still pretty accurate.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Well, KOTFE chapter XII is hand-wavy as gently caress if you're not a force user. :( I mean it's kind of a cool idea, but if you are a trooper/BH/agent/smuggler you probably enjoy playing a non force sensitive character. My commando is a Miraluka so I guess it's not that bad and more of Valkorion "enhancing" my character's force sensitivity, but drat. I'm not actually too put off by it, but I imagine some others definitely are. They did however avoid the "non-jedi using a lightsaber" thing so I'm thankful for that.

Not gonna lie I was hoping the entire chapter would be like when you walk up to Satele's camp and she is talking to seemingly no one. That would have been very entertaining. I just built an abomination minigun at a lightsaber forge. Well okay it's not too bad, it might go well with the armor from the star fortresses. But it looks kinda tacky. Either way, I'll be surprised if they don't add an operation at the end of KOTFE to fight Arcann, wherever that end is.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Not played in a dogs age, but is there any kind of PvP gear balancing, or am I doomed to get stomped by better geared players at any given level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

Not played in a dogs age, but is there any kind of PvP gear balancing, or am I doomed to get stomped by better geared players at any given level?

For PvP wear whatever before level 65, there is no PvP gear that's lower than level 65. Once you hit 65 you want to wear gear that is rated 190 or less until you get enough comms to buy PvP gear. Bolster will up your Expertise (the stat that matters most) to an acceptable level as long as your gear is crappy enough. 190 is the sweet spot for good stats and good bolster, and you can buy a full set of 190 mods/enhancements/hilts/armorings/etc for about 50 common data crystals from the level 60 gear vendor.

A full set of PvP intro gear is 4,075 warzone comms which you get extremely quickly so you won't be in that 190 gear for long. If you do both PvP dailies (6 matches, wins count double) you get 600 WZ comms per day, and 900 for the weekly (15 matches, wins count double) so you will have enough for the starter 204 PvP set pretty quickly.

I would recommend using an adaptive set of armor and augmenting it, move the 204 mods into it and then as you trade up the 204 gear for 208 gear (an additional 16,000 WZ comms for a full set) you can replace those mods in the same gear you're wearing and only augment once.

• Locked thread