Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Firgof posted:

Yes. Just don't give your fleets a change of movement orders if they're going long distances once they're significantly underway. We also have directional thrust this time around - which means a ship can't start thrusting until it turns to face its target vector - which means it can hilariously overshoot stuff if you give it an order when it's already got a lot of momentum built up.

Also note: Fleet cohesion does loose a little bit of its stern-ness if you go full 10x speed. It's nowhere near the same magnitude of problem it was in SR1 however.

And you can FTL to cancel your momentum if you need to stop in a hurry. If I remember it right I used to use skip drives for basically jumping on the spot for minimal energy cost as a hard stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Firgof posted:

30000 years of genetic drift complicated by lots of radiation-bombing plus genetic/mechanical augmentations to more readily survive extended trips in space with less access to food and water. I decreased our bone-mass and overall shrunk the body - especially the mouth/jaw and arms. You can see it all better in the Terrakin revamp art above - though I'm not sure whether that will ship with the expansion/free update or not. The art style is a bit too different from the base art so Andrew's not giving it the green light yet.

I thought it might be something like this but I couldn't figure out any good reason our carnivore-eyes would somehow turn into side mounted herbivore eyes. It sure as hell wouldn't happen naturally at least.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just wish I could build farms and hydrogenerators that can actually export said resources, I need farm worlds that are supporting countless Coruscants :negative:

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Sedisp posted:

So anyone got some general tips for building verdant ships? They seem like they'd be fun to make.

I love playing as Verdant races, and I find their ships pretty resilient and fun to build. I think Fling Beacon is an interesting way to play, and it allows you to pack more weapons/support into a ship. I know there are more optimized designs out there, but these are mine. The general ideas are:

1) Keep acceleration roughly even for the different ship classes. Support ships should have a bit more thrust than the flagship, to help keep the big blob together.
2) Use diagonal angles where possible, and put armor at the angles most likely to be hit. There are some good theorycrafting tutorials on Steam about this but my understanding is that a hexagon is one of the most efficient designs for keeping armor on the outside and vitals on the inside.
3) Perhaps counter-intuitively, engines should be in the front of your flagship, and weapons in the rear. When you want to engage in a fight, engines should take the pain first so your weapon/support hexes can stay healthy long into the fight. Conversely, if you need to beat a hasty retreat under impulse power, let your weapons tank the damage as the enemy blasts the rear of your ship as you accelerate away, engines staying safe up front.

I tend to favor lasers since they don't take any supplies, especially on the flagship. I've read that torpedoes are pretty devastating against large clumps of little ships, I should try that out a bit more. In general a big fleet of 1/12th flagship size beamships tends to kick a lot of rear end and can stay supply-neutral for quite a long time. Add missile ships and railguns to taste.

Verdant Heavy Carrier

Verdant Beamship

Verdant Missle Boat

Pro Tip: If you don't consider it cheating, you can customize your starting Heavy Carrier or other flagship (depending on starting traits/hyperspace type) by exporting your ship as a .design file and overwriting the default file. For example a Verdant Not_Hyperdrive Flagship goes here:
\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Ruler 2\data\designs\verdant\not_hyperdrive

Star Ruler 1 and 2 both own, and I'm looking forward to the expansion. As said before, even if the studio closes, Blind Mind had a great run and made something unique and interesting.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 4, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do those first two ships even work? They're both shooting through verdant hexes and the heavy carrier's gun is pointed sideways so can't engage anything in front of the ship.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You can shoot through verdant hexes just fine. The other part is confusing though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I didn't realize the discussion had moved here from the official forums (which seem to be one massive spambomb at this point). Any more tidbits to share? How much do I need to have ready in my Steam wallet?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Price will be shown when we announce the release date of the expansion; only thing I can say right now is that it's reasonably priced.

Only new thing I'm prepared to show off is the art for one of the new races.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Take my money already.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I think Fling Beacon is an interesting way to play, and it allows you to launch heavily armed assault stations around your opponents homeworld
[/quote]

ftfy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonna chuck money at you as soon as you give me a store page. It's a good game and you're good people.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Side-laser Heavy Carrier seems to do fine, it just turns to fire as if the laser were the front of the ship once it acquires a target. I'm just a scrub though, there are definitely more optimized designs out there.

Basically the idea is you can take some hits on the chin as you are thrusting straight towards the enemy, then expose a fresh meaty side-laser when you're in range to engage. The real point is to have a big support fleet and long-lived carrier, and this sacrifices weapons for support capacity. Or the comedy alternate explanation is that you should be constantly circle-strafing counter-clockwise so you can juke enemy projectiles and take advantage your hit-scan laser fleet.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
All projectiles all the time

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
I've just got to say. Fling beacons + level 5 planet with FTL crystals is hilarious.

Fling level 5 FTL crystal planet to any system for 0 FTL. Fling everything in that system to wherever it's convenient in your empire for 0 FTL (while the level 5 FTL crystal planet is present), including planets.

For giggles, just fling everything to your home system for 0 FTL. Then, fling all 50 some planets from your home system to another for 0 FTL at the same time. Watch as they make orderly groves of planets that don't even fit in the destination system.

Build a ringworld around the sun in your home system. Fling the ringworld away from the sun to another system for 0 FTL. Where is the ringworld getting its power anymore since it leaves behind the sun? Who knows! Who cares!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Also you can fling planets to outside of system boundaries, in which case they can't trade with anyone. Fling your enemies highly developed worlds into the void and they'll turn into level 0 planets in short order.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Soon.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Space Dragons?!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

If this means "tomorrow" that would make for a good way to start the week. Good luck on the expansion.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It has been a while since I played. I was pleasantly surprised to find people hanging around in chat and that there are a bunch of new and awesome mods. The shipsets in particular are amazing.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It has been a while since I played. I was pleasantly surprised to find people hanging around in chat and that there are a bunch of new and awesome mods. The shipsets in particular are amazing.

I'm a fan of the Sins of a solar empire ship sets myself.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Keep your eyeballs on the thread. Soon is about to become very soon.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Firgof posted:

:toot:
Unless it's right now, it's not soon enough!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Firgof posted:

You're killing us. Well, me at least.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Firgof posted:

St... Wa... Star Wars, ha, nailed it.

They're releasing a licensed Star Wars expansion.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
More sneak peaks!

Edit: For serious though, we will be pushing out a large amount of information about the expansion very soon, including its target launch date. We're kinda/sorta waiting on Valve right now to do some stuff before we put that information out. So hang tight!

Firgof fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 12, 2016

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Firgof posted:

More sneak peaks!

Edit: For serious though, we will be pushing out a large amount of information about the expansion very soon, including its target launch date. We're kinda/sorta waiting on Valve right now to do some stuff before we put that information out. So hang tight!

Rude. :colbert:

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Firgof posted:

More sneak peaks!

I can see the benefits of the new UI already, hard mode: are you building a scout ship or a war ship? Turns out it was a mining ship, congratulations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Firgof posted:

More sneak peaks!

Wake of the Star Elders?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Hoping our storepage for the DLC will get approved in another hour or two.

In the meanwhile, have some timelapse footage of me painting up one of the races!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ihvL5mw-j8&t=17s

Firgof fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 12, 2016

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Firgof posted:

Hoping our storepage for the DLC will get approved in another hour or two.

In the meanwhile, have some timelapse footage of me painting up one of the races!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ihvL5mw-j8&t=17s

Any info for DLC on GOG platform?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
The expansion will be purchasable and downloadable through GOG.

Edit: By the way, we've got some graphical upgrades in store for y'all's viewing pleasure. Please enjoy a complementary sample.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 12, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How long does a game in SR2 typically last?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Firgof posted:

The expansion will be purchasable and downloadable through GOG.

Edit: By the way, we've got some graphical upgrades in store for y'all's viewing pleasure. Please enjoy a complementary sample.

What are "Attitudes"?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Ciaphas posted:

How long does a game in SR2 typically last?
I'd say to expect anywhere from 40 minutes to 2.5 hours on the default recommended settings. Perhaps longer if you're playing versus a passive Empire and are just exploring the options you're given.
As long as you'd like it to last though, typically. You can accelerate the game's end by surrendering to the most powerful Empire, become their vassal state, and help them conquer the galaxy. (Surrender doesn't end the game in SR2; you stay in it but can no longer declare war/request peace; instead, you inherit your master's allies and enemies)

Ynglaur posted:

What are "Attitudes"?
One of the major mechanics the expansion adds in to the game.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

What happened to your store page update?

40 minutes to 2 hours seems a bit on the short side for a first game, it takes a while to get used to all the features because they're quite different from the standard 4X design.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
What sort of PC do you need for the game? from the sheer scope of things it seems like it veers towards the multiple supercomputers end of the scale.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

King Doom posted:

What sort of PC do you need for the game? from the sheer scope of things it seems like it veers towards the multiple supercomputers end of the scale.

It's scale-able, so you don't need anything too beefy. Only if you start pumping up the number of stars and galaxies and Empires do things start to slow down.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Vodos posted:

40 minutes to 2 hours seems a bit on the short side for a first game, it takes a while to get used to all the features because they're quite different from the standard 4X design.
I suppose so. I've seen some people take up to 3 or so hours so I suppose even more than that wouldn't be unreasonable. How much the person playing is pausing the game and whether they use time acceleration will probably factor a lot into that.

quote:

What happened to your store page update?
Still waiting on Valve to approve the store page. I expected it wouldn't take them much time because it's a DLC. Apparently this was an incorrect presumption.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think my SR1 games used to take about 10 hours with galactic armory, SR2 tends to be shorter but that's because it doesn't facilitate building very far outside your income capacity while SR1 had the whole resource banking thing that let you save up easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
For those of us who did not play the base game, does the expansion update the tutorials, etc. to incorporate the expansion changes as well?

I hate tutorials that are for the base game, and then 30% of the game is changed and not reflected in the tutorials.

• Locked thread