Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BiggerBoat posted:

She was fine in Creed. Only thing I remember being distracted by or standing out with her was how much she reminded me of Lisa Bonet.

There are much worse things a person can do than remind me of Lisa Bonet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hat Thoughts posted:

It doesn't, he's saying that the vast majority of Comics are garbage, but that this is the case with most media forms, the difference is that comics (because of the focus on continuity & canon) encourage steady consumption of the mediocre/not-so-good stuff.

Yeah, it's why people always (rightfully) rag on the '1970s political thriller' thing.

When you move outside the "superhero genre" (which, at this point, is not really a genre but a modifier that you apply to actual genres), and compare Winter Soldier to other spy movies, it's on par with things like The Bourne Legacy and Salt.

Like, Salt is the Black Widow movie people have been clamoring for. It already came out, and nobody gave a poo poo - even though Salt's not a bad movie at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

She was fine in Creed. Only thing I remember being distracted by or standing out with her was how much she reminded me of Lisa Bonet.

I have disliked her since Veronica Mars.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Detective No. 27 posted:

Suicide Squad: Out of Their Cells Tour

This is beautiful. :)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Timby posted:

Hell, even into the '80s. I'm pretty sure almost the entire destruction of the Enterprise was in the trailer for The Search for Spock.

Even farther than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bBay_1dKK8

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Or god forbid, there is a movie with no love interest. I'm not saying romance in movies is bad or anything, but after shoehorning in Black Widow's attraction to Hulk in AoU, I'm perfectly fine with not setting up any more relationships.

Or just have Thor and Hulk fall for each other. I'll take that too.

HULK STRAIGHT!!!!

http://www.shwiggie.com/media/images/hulk_straight.jpg

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 11, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You'd really be best off if you just stop caring about spoilers. They don't actually affect anything, unless the big twist was the entirety of the movie. In which case the movie was bad anyway and you're not losing anything.

Edit: Like, does Empire Strikes back suck because you knew that Vader was Luke's father before you ever even heard of the movie?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

ya I always think its weird when u go to like page 40 of a movie thread and the entire thing is just black bars, like, who is that for?

I'm gonna go with "People who have/have not seen the film" but I may be way off base.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gyges posted:

You'd really be best off if you just stop caring about spoilers. They don't actually affect anything, unless the big twist was the entirety of the movie. In which case the movie was bad anyway and you're not losing anything.

Edit: Like, does Empire Strikes back suck because you knew that Vader was Luke's father before you ever even heard of the movie?

Wow thanks for ruining it for me.

Jerk

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gyges posted:

Eh, people get overly freaked out about spoilers, and the thing spoiled about BvS is irrelevant right up until you see it coming, but I'm not going to call The Usual Suspects a bad movie just because it was neat to be surprised the first time around.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Everyone should read spoilers, forget the feeling of surprise, people have become addicted to the feeling of surprise, it has taken hold of them, and they resent its absence.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm gonna go with "People who have/have not seen the film" but I may be way off base.

Why would they be reading page 40...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't want movies I want to see spoiled. I don't care if movies I don't want to see get spoiled.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I said come in! posted:

As excited as I am for Suicide Squad, i'm a bit concerned and confused about the storyline. I feel like the trailers are not doing enough to give the basic premise behind this film.

From what I've been able to glean from the trailers, it looks like The Government/The Cops/The CIA/SHIELD (insert shadowy puppet master here) has decided to band together the villains to carry out a covert op under the rightful assumption that they're not only powerful but expendable as well and the whole thing somehow backfires and they all get loose. Then Batman has to come in and kick everyones rear end.

It seemed pretty clear cut to me. Not that that means it's a good plot idea or that the film is going to be worth a poo poo but that trailer made more thematic sense to to me than the entirety of BvS.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Why would they be reading page 40...

To read posts that don't have spoilers and because they're interested in the movie and have been following that thread in anticipation of it?

You kind of have a point because I know I tend to check out of movie threads once they're released and don't want plots ruined but in answer to your question, that's who the black bars are for. When a thread turns into a wall of black, I usually show myself out.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 11, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gyges posted:

I actually saw this live in the theater and I can honestly say that you millennials got robbed.

Somebody screamed.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

?

You kind of have a point because I know I tend to check out of movie threads once they're released and don't want plots ruined but in answer to your question, that's who the black bars are for. When a thread turns into a wall of black, I usually show myself out.
Ya this is what I do too, seems like common sense

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually saw this live in the theater and I can honestly say that you millennials got robbed.

Somebody screamed.

Hahah goddamn. I mean obviously there is stuff like the Sixth Sense's twist, but I can't see people freaking out at any reveal in a serialized movie.

It reminds me of poo poo like hearing how people vomited and passed out during the Exorcist. Have us millenials just evolved like a protective detachment from media that prevents us from being affected by movies like that?

Jasen
Feb 19, 2006
Double Stuffed Unique Snowflake

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

These are pretty much consecutive shots.

Steve vanishes for most of the sequence, then reappears in the bottom left there.

Red Witch flies out of the sunrise to enter the scene, and while sun is setting in these shots above.

I understand that, but I'm not looking for errors. This is like Michael Bay levels of 'gently caress continuity'. Like, it's to the point that you have to consider the lack of continuity part of the style - like how, in the celebrated Winter Soldier knife fight, some shots are taking place on a rainy day, while others show a sunny afternoon.

What's also weird is that Cap is in quite the fight with a random goon in that bottom left hand corner of the second screenshot while Falcon casually walks forward. Dude doesn't even glance back to see if his friend needs any help. And then Cap just walks in from off-screen right after.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Somebody screamed.

Millenials only scream when a YouTube celebrity says their name on a stream, and you'll never understand the ecstacy of THAT recognition.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fzNXjXHXB8

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kill all nerds.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Imagine blockbusters are barely a thing. Let's not even talk about home video. You watched maybe 2 movies a year in the theater and those movies ran in theaters for months and months at a time. Star Wars is The loving Cultural Phenomenon and, guaranteed, if you watched 2 movies in 1980, Empire Strikes Back was going to be one of the two.

Now imagine you have absolutely no source material to sneak preview information out of off the internet, because while Star Wars cribbed poo poo wholesale from Very Influential Sources, nobody knows that Darth Vader breaks Luke's back but Luke totally comes back after 6 months in traction to defeat him.

Because that's what we had Way Back When.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I said come in! posted:

As excited as I am for Suicide Squad, i'm a bit concerned and confused about the storyline. I feel like the trailers are not doing enough to give the basic premise behind this film. In the previous trailer we see Amanda Waller trying to sell her crazy idea to some generals over dinner, and then in this new trailer she is doing it again at the White House? Why though? And what does Superman have to do with all of this? From how the trailers talk about him, this takes place after Batman vs. Superman, so he is dead at this point. What is the anxiety that the government is having that makes them feel that these locked away villains need to be brought out to do something?

These are all good questions, and since the Suicide Squad trailers go out of their way to make the goals of the movie's antagonists and indeed their actual identities as unclear as possible (even Joker is portrayed like an important sideplot/complication instead of the actual big bad) you can probably safely assume it's tied into the overplot foreshadowing from BvS, because that's the only thing it would make sense to so heavily redact

Between that and the Batman vs. Joker stuff going on the biggest problem with Suicide Squad might well be that we don't spend enough time with the actual Suicide Squad. But then, working around stuff like that is why you hire good directors

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You guys see that Arkham movie? Batman:Assault on Arkham? It was pretty bad, and it seems to loosely mirror the Suicide Squad movie in a lot of ways. I hope they learn something from that. To put it into context how bad it is, there's a scene where Deadshot and Harley are loving. And Batman just kinda watches while dozens of Arkham guards are brutally murdered in the line of duty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Never mind, I hate all of Star Wars now.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You guys see that Arkham movie? Batman:Assault on Arkham? It was pretty bad, and it seems to loosely mirror the Suicide Squad movie in a lot of ways. I hope they learn something from that. To put it into context how bad it is, there's a scene where Deadshot and Harley are loving. And Batman just kinda watches while dozens of Arkham guards are brutally murdered in the line of duty.

What's bad about that?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBM854BTGL0

Star Wars is alright. It's the nerds that are awful.

Vintersorg posted:

Kill all nerds.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh no, loving.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The biggest problem with Deadshot/Harley ending up together is that it might preclude Ivy joining the Suicide Squad in a sequel.

Under no circumstances should she end up back with Joker and given that this iteration of the character seems to have been machine-tooled to evoke "lovely embarrassing narcissistic ex-boyfriend showing up at your job without warning" I suspect the movie will render a similar conclusion

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh no, loving.

The better reading of that sentence is Batman watched them loving.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh no, loving.

I just found it weird that they actually animated the scene. It was pointless.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Somebody screamed.

Yeah, I've seen the movie. I'd cut Luke some slack though, he did just get his hand cut off.

Guy A. Person posted:

Hahah goddamn. I mean obviously there is stuff like the Sixth Sense's twist, but I can't see people freaking out at any reveal in a serialized movie.

It reminds me of poo poo like hearing how people vomited and passed out during the Exorcist. Have us millenials just evolved like a protective detachment from media that prevents us from being affected by movies like that?

It's because cinema has moved on beyond something like The Exorcist. The crazy things that drove you parents to piss their pants in the theater permeated the culture and became part of the baseline. It's like how movies are cut much faster now than years and years ago.

I remember my friend and I rented The Exorcist because it was supposed to be the scariest movie ever, and were somewhat bored with it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Remind me why I ever liked the Ultimates?

Oh yeah it's because I was 14.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

broken clock opsec posted:

Imagine blockbusters are barely a thing. Let's not even talk about home video. You watched maybe 2 movies a year in the theater and those movies ran in theaters for months and months at a time. Star Wars is The loving Cultural Phenomenon and, guaranteed, if you watched 2 movies in 1980, Empire Strikes Back was going to be one of the two.

Now imagine you have absolutely no source material to sneak preview information out of off the internet, because while Star Wars cribbed poo poo wholesale from Very Influential Sources, nobody knows that Darth Vader breaks Luke's back but Luke totally comes back after 6 months in traction to defeat him.

Because that's what we had Way Back When.

Saw Wrath of Khan in the theater knowing nothing about it but bits from reruns of the original series and it was the greatest loving thing. When Kirk is absorbed by the Genesis Device and kills Khan's cyborg form with his mind...

:wow:

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Gyges posted:

Hey, that's great that you don't care but some of us like being surprised. It might not ruin the movie, but I hate being spoiled because instead of just watching the movie I find myself just waiting for the spoiled moments and paying more attention to when and how they will happen instead of actually enjoying the movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If someone actually wants to avoid spoilers for a thing then they shouldn't be reading Internet forums discussing that thing. It seems pretty simple to me. I've done it plenty of times.

If someone wants to avoid spoilers for a movie that came out weeks ago - what?

That being said you're still kind of a dick for intentionally spoiling poo poo for people especially if it's not even out yet so please don't do that

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 12, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BlackJosh posted:

Hey, that's great that you don't care but some of us like being surprised. It might not ruin the movie, but I hate being spoiled because instead of just watching the movie I find myself just waiting for the spoiled moments and paying more attention to when and how they will happen instead of actually enjoying the movie.

This is the most concise explanation of this topic that I've seen. I agree with all of it.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

If someone actually wants to avoid spoilers for a thing then they shouldn't be reading Internet forums discussing that thing. It seems pretty simple to me. I've done it plenty of times.

If someone wants to avoid spoilers for a movie that came out weeks ago - what?

I mean yeah, I agree, ultimately you gotta be smart about where you are looking in this day and age. I'm just saying that the whole "spoilers don't matter" attitude irks me because for some of us it does and that's what I was responding to. Sorry if that came off as complaining about anything actually spoiled or not in here.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
My reasoning behind spoilers is that sometimes someone wants to go into a thread and ask a question, ie "can I bring my kid to this without traumatizing him," or "I'm uncomfortable with [scenario], is it okay to see this movie?" Sometimes that person doesn't want to be spoiled, even if the page is 49 pages long already.

I like being surprised by things in movies, even if they're not entirely surprising. If someone goes out of their way to be an rear end in a top hat and spoil something for someone early on in its lifecycle, they're just being an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

My reasoning behind spoilers is that sometimes someone wants to go into a thread and ask a question, ie "can I bring my kid to this without traumatizing him," or "I'm uncomfortable with [scenario], is it okay to see this movie?" Sometimes that person doesn't want to be spoiled, even if the page is 49 pages long already.

I like being surprised by things in movies, even if they're not entirely surprising. If someone goes out of their way to be an rear end in a top hat and spoil something for someone early on in its lifecycle, they're just being an rear end in a top hat.

There's a thread for questions!!

• Locked thread