Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm pretty sure this counts as dumb marketing trick

Except I'm pretty sure that's a mod that an individual did rather than Nintendo or any gun company. Nintendo wouldn't allow it, gun company would be sued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm pretty sure this counts as dumb marketing trick

http://i.imgur.com/j3kklnD.gifv

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Except I'm pretty sure that's a mod that an individual did rather than Nintendo or any gun company. Nintendo wouldn't allow it, gun company would be sued.

Apparently It's a customized Glock designed by firearms manufacturer that specializes in gun modifications. Obviously it's a one of a kind show piece, hence "dumb marketing" because they were clearly trying to promote their actual mods to general public.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Apr 11, 2016

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Burger King South Africa posted this ad:

Not really bad marketing to be honest, I just found it real loving grim. Maybe I'm just being weird.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

AtomD posted:

Not really bad marketing to be honest, I just found it real loving grim. Maybe I'm just being weird.

Is that 29.90 in rands? That's like $2 US, which is crazy cheap. Is that right?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

AtomD posted:

You're interpreting it as "Payday means you can afford to eat really fancy food like Burger King!" No worries, I'm reading it as "It's pay day, so you can afford to eat at all!" :)

:smith:

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Karma Monkey posted:

Yeah, for a 1 burger meal, though I don't know the exact details. That's real cheap by ZA standards anyway.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

AtomD posted:

Yeah, for a 1 burger meal, though I don't know the exact details. That's real cheap by ZA standards anyway.

What makes me sadder than the ad copy is that the burger meal NEVER looks anywhere nearly as good as the ad photo. I see these drat ads and I think hell yea, I want that! then I go to the lovely fast food place and order it and it looks like garbage. :qq:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Karma Monkey posted:

What makes me sadder than the ad copy is that the burger meal NEVER looks anywhere nearly as good as the ad photo. I see these drat ads and I think hell yea, I want that! then I go to the lovely fast food place and order it and it looks like garbage. :qq:

The amount of bullshit they're allowed to do to food when they're preparing it for advertising photos is astonishing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Besesoth posted:

The amount of bullshit they're allowed to do to food when they're preparing it for advertising photos is astonishing.

From what I've seen as a casual observer, the Hardees/Carl's Jr people have that down to an artform compared to their competitors when it comes to advertising image beauty versus cheap crud you get when you buy.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh hey, that one actually looks kinda like the loving Zapper it was basing itself one not just a loving paint job.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Besesoth posted:

Yea I remember watching a mini-doc about food photo shoots and it's fascinating and evil in equal measures. Then again, if they showed what the food is really gonna look like when you order it... :barf:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

AtomD posted:

I missed this being from SA for a second and was very concerned over three burgers, a pepsi, and a large fry costing 30 bucks :psyduck:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

sweeperbravo posted:

You're interpreting it as "Payday means you can afford to eat really fancy food like Burger King!" No worries, I'm reading it as "It's pay day, so you can afford to eat at all!" :)

:smith:

It's saying you can buy a decent amount of food for a cheap price, even if it is not payday, i.e. on payday you might buy a lot of food because you have funds available, but with these cheap prices you can buy a lot of food with whatever funds you have available on any day, be it payday or otherwise.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mu Zeta posted:

One I saw was "No sleeveless shirts for males"

Is that targeting any ethnicity?
No tank tops is maybe closest you can get to an equal opportunity "no poors" depending on where you are at, but I've seen it used most often where it would function as a dog whistle for "no hispanics"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Wandle Cax posted:

It's saying you can buy a decent amount of food for a cheap price, even if it is not payday, i.e. on payday you might buy a lot of food because you have funds available, but with these cheap prices you can buy a lot of food with whatever funds you have available on any day, be it payday or otherwise.

Oh, I know :shobon: It still rings wrong when you read it, and then if you think about it too long it gets sad. But the admakers were operating under the (probably correct) assumption that most ad viewers wouldn't even get to step 1.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"NO DO-RAGS, FLAT-BRIMMED HATS, OR ROLLED-UP PANT LEGS. Wait, what do you mean, 'that's racist?' It has nothing to do with keeping certain people out of our nightclub!"

Who the hell rolls up their pants legs?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lagomorphic posted:

The key word in that "blog" is Canada. We're on of the markets where they've spent a bunch of money renovating and launching trying to go more upscale. They've been running TV ads trying to play it up as a great place for young people to work as well (which is sort of true even if it's mostly because we've got decent minimum wage laws).

Here's on the TV spot they've been running:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2QyZ54Helw

McDonalds Canada is cool because they actually showed how they make the food in the ads look better than the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSd0keSj2W8

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Besesoth posted:

This episode of 99 percent invisible gives some good background, but definitely loses something from being a podcast vs. like a Youtube video. http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/flying-food/

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Ahh the days before CGI when the delicious slathering of chocolate in commercials were done by using thick brown paint.

Also microwaving wet tampons to make instant steam.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
Not sure if it's marketing or not, but it struck me as a bit creepy. I had to renew my license a while back and i picked up a pamphlet about organ donation to read as I waited. The last part was a picture of a bunch of people staring out at me with the caption along the lines of

"We're on the waiting list for your organs, so please don't smoke or use drugs---We want your organs healthy!"

Just felt a bit weird and morbid. Like they were cheerfully hoping I'd die soon as possible.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"NO DO-RAGS, FLAT-BRIMMED HATS, OR ROLLED-UP PANT LEGS. Wait, what do you mean, 'that's racist?' It has nothing to do with keeping certain people out of our nightclub!"

The best of these was at the Hulk Hogan restaurant where the dress code prohibited almost entirely clothes I normally associate with Hulk Hogan.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

McDonalds Canada is cool because they actually showed how they make the food in the ads look better than the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSd0keSj2W8
That is really cool. I eat McDonals one in a blue moon and the boxed sandwiches actually do look like the advertisement. Minus the composition of course.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Wandle Cax posted:

While that's probably the intended message, the SA economy got tanked so hard lately I can only read it as "Your money is worth next to nothing right now so you may as well make it count."

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

While that's probably the intended message, the SA economy got tanked so hard lately I can only read it as "Your money is worth next to nothing right now so you may as well make it count."
The Taco Bell Gambit.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Nitrox posted:

That is really cool. I eat McDonals one in a blue moon and the boxed sandwiches actually do look like the advertisement. Minus the composition of course.

Thinking about it, the only burger places I've seen where the burgers appear remotely as advertised are McDonalds and Whataburger. Maybe Burger King, too; I can't remember the last time I had one there. It could just be the franchises around here since we only have one Whataburger, but McDonalds are indeed pretty consistent with appearance.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Karma Monkey posted:

29.90 rands?
The world could barely handle one.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

29.90 rands?
The world could barely handle one.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rough Lobster posted:

Dumb crackers evidently think that having one rolled-up pant leg is a gang sign.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

That Robox posted:

Not sure if it's marketing or not, but it struck me as a bit creepy. I had to renew my license a while back and i picked up a pamphlet about organ donation to read as I waited. The last part was a picture of a bunch of people staring out at me with the caption along the lines of

"We're on the waiting list for your organs, so please don't smoke or use drugs---We want your organs healthy!"

Just felt a bit weird and morbid. Like they were cheerfully hoping I'd die soon as possible.

That should probably be the cover of the class M license rulebook.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

dpbjinc posted:

Thinking about it, the only burger places I've seen where the burgers appear remotely as advertised are McDonalds and Whataburger. Maybe Burger King, too; I can't remember the last time I had one there. It could just be the franchises around here since we only have one Whataburger, but McDonalds are indeed pretty consistent with appearance.

A local burg place here does it too
Don't you want those burgs?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Rough Lobster posted:

One gang signifier is which pants leg you have rolled up, so it is (was, I haven't worked in that area in a few years) an inner-city style.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That Robox posted:

Poorly planned yes. But please, still be an organ donor. It's important.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

death .cab for qt posted:

I missed this being from SA for a second and was very concerned over three burgers, a pepsi, and a large fry costing 30 bucks :psyduck:

In Washington DC that costs me about twenty.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Dumb crackers evidently think that having one rolled-up pant leg is a gang sign.

That reminds me of some campaign against saggy pants that tried to convince kids not to do it because it was a gay thing, which is astounding on so many levels on top of being complete bullshit.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Someone was giving out bracelets and encouraging people to register as donors when I was at the DMV a few years ago. I showed her I was already a donor and she hugged me and declared that she had two donated lungs.

All I could think to say was "Well they're not my lungs but you're welcome."

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Poorly planned yes. But please, still be an organ donor. It's important.

I definitely am, though hopefully it's now going to be printed on my license instead of a sticker, you wouldn't believe how many gas station clerks have tried to peel it off when I had to show ID, or have warned me to take it off myself, lest the paramedics make no attempt to save me and just gut me like a fish right on the spot.

It was always only the older women clerks for whatever reason. They seemed really concerned. But now I haven't smoked in about 4 years, so cleaner organs, and no weird conspiracies for me. Woohoo!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ugh, as someone that has received several transplants, that kind of behavior disgusts me. Honestly, what they need to do is change it to an opt-OUT system rather than opt-in. There'd be a lot more people just going with it if they didn't have to do anything extra. Whenever I renew my license, the clerks are always pleasantly surprised that I actually want to pay the extra three dollars for the check mark on the back of mine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Choco1980 posted:

Ugh, as someone that has received several transplants, that kind of behavior disgusts me. Honestly, what they need to do is change it to an opt-OUT system rather than opt-in. There'd be a lot more people just going with it if they didn't have to do anything extra. Whenever I renew my license, the clerks are always pleasantly surprised that I actually want to pay the extra three dollars for the check mark on the back of mine.

"TH' GUBMINT DEATH PANELS IS TAKIN' ARE ORGANS!"

An opt-out system for organ donors will never fly in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bonster posted:

(was, I haven't worked in that area in a few years)

Yeah, I don't think it's been a thing for ages.

I remember a nightclub that had similar policies back when I was in grad school; they didn't want sagging pants, shirts featuring drug paraphernalia, flat-brimmed hats, or (my favorite) "cloth head coverings," the last of which was specifically to target do-rags. When the local media kicked up a fuss about the obviously racist policies, the owner went into damage control mode and had his staff start only targeting white people with baggy pants and bandannas.

I went there for a costume party dressed as Axl Rose and was told that if I didn't take off my bandanna immediately, I'd be shown the door :rolleyes:

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah but what about all those doctors who will intentionally let you die so they can take your organs