Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Where are people finding this katana guy? I've killed a boss and I haven't seen him. Do I need to use a ember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BobTheJanitor posted:

That explains it. Thanks. (Still would have been better to just let you level at every bonfire but eh)

This game seems to be making a lot of Demons Souls callbacks though. Granted Darksouls 2 did the same thing but she even chants something similar to what the black maiden or whatever did in Demons. It's probably the closest we'll get to a PC port of Demon's Souls.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I am having a lot of trouble with the armored spear & shield guys in the very first area after the tutorial, trying to dodge-roll behind them and get hits in between their swings takes forever and tends to get me killed. Is this a subtle hint to stop playing like DS1/2 and start relying on parry + riposte, or do I just need to get used to the new attack timings?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

My solution to getting the game to not crash: setting Lighting to Low

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Decided to reroll as my classic spearlady and I've just been poking my way to non-stop victory so far. It's like when skellingtons drink enough milk they become invulnerable, that's me and spear-poking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

that mimic tho...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm using a 360 wired controller just fine.

I have no idea where to go after firelink tho...uhhh?

Dark Souls III - Stick the sword in the ground in the middle of firelink

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Day one out of the box,

gently caress you Hideo never patching in ultra wide into the game making me have to use cheat engine to fix your poo poo.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
The Feisty Knights are a lot faster than they look!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

that mimic tho...

I was feeling so smug about running past dragonfire. And then that motherfucking mimic...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

Put the sword in the stone and use it to teleport :v:

Gotta be observant yo

Ha, I must of missed some kind of text cause I did that without realizing I could actually warp to another area from the start. I was expecting it to be like DS1/2 where you only warp after reaching a bonfire.

Doing fine now. And by fine I mean getting stabbed by rear end in a top hat knights that block doors when you're running from a dragon.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Caved in at the last minute and bought it. Took about half an hour to "decode" or whatever after downloading so I caught up with this weeks John Oliver.

Runs smoothly with all settings on max (970) haven't had a single crash. I chose Deprived because I absolutely loving abhor myself and didn't die until that first boss... then oh boy did I die, and die, and die. Dark Souls is back hell yeah!

My current strategy is 2-hand the club (the shield is next to useless anyway) do that L-trigger power-up thing, and wait for him to attack. Roll into the attack and hit him from behind once or twice, then roll away or sideways from his followup attack.

I had it down almost perfectly every time until that second form and I just cannot do it right now, so I'm going to sleep on it and try again tomorrow morning with a huge coffee and a fresh head. This guy is harder than the DS1 firstboss. Or I'm rubbish and unpractised. Probably both.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I took a break and man, I'm not happy to hear there's another dragon run. I liked that about dark souls 2, far less dragons.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Got the bonfire crash as a mercenary, made a new character and picked knight as my starting class. Whereas my first character would crash upon reaching the first bonfire or any bonfire after that my knight was able to make it all the way to Lothrec before it started crashing every 30 seconds! Crashes when I try to go to the right path in Lothrec, crashes when I try to go past the 1st dragon encounter when I take the left path, crashes randomly later on in the left path if I try to ignore the dragon encounter. Another 60$ well spent.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Nuebot posted:

This game seems to be making a lot of Demons Souls callbacks though. Granted Darksouls 2 did the same thing but she even chants something similar to what the black maiden or whatever did in Demons. It's probably the closest we'll get to a PC port of Demon's Souls.

Oh yeah, it's the Maiden in Black all over again for sure, right down to the chanting. And wearing some kind of dark blindfold or something, haven't really looked that closely. Already way better than bear seek seek lest lady.

Unrelated, anyone else noticing in widescreen resolutions that you get bars on the top and bottom of the screen that aren't covered when the screen fades to black or loads or whatever? Not a world ending bug, but somewhat distracting.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Anyone else completely unable to get online on PC? I'm on a pretty good unrestricted connection but get failed to connect every time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Dark Souls III - Stick the sword in the ground in the middle of firelink

I did that. Do I have to grind poo poo to get the 20k souls for the key to progress??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

I was feeling so smug about running past dragonfire. And then that motherfucking mimic...

I actually killed it first go, but after dark souls 2, well... I wasn't expecting it.

Just to confirm there's no soul memory in this right? I can die like a casual without loving up my co-op brackets?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Well, ever since I rerolled a knight, I had an hour long session with no crashing at all. Funny how that works. Time to go to bed and start anew tomorrow.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Raiden Souls 3 status: Hugging Gundyr and spamming like no tomorrow minces him, fuckin' A the knights are kicking my rear end. Why did I never learn to parry.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

also how do I get rid of my "unkindled" state? or go human or whatever it is. I died and I'm no longer hot 2 trot.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I did that. Do I have to grind poo poo to get the 20k souls for the key to progress??

Travel from the bonfire menu

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I actually killed it first go, but after dark souls 2, well... I wasn't expecting it.

Just to confirm there's no soul memory in this right? I can die like a casual without loving up my co-op brackets?

that's right

GreenBuckanneer posted:

also how do I get rid of my "unkindled" state? or go human or whatever it is. I died and I'm no longer hot 2 trot.

use an ember, kill a boss, or win an invasion

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eschatos posted:

Anyone else completely unable to get online on PC? I'm on a pretty good unrestricted connection but get failed to connect every time.

I was offline for a good hour but now i'm OK :shrug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A friend of mine died to the first boss, somehow. :haw:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So I just got my physical copy for the Xbone, last one in the store. How many hours until it is actually kosher to start playing? Time zones and staggered releases are so confusing...

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, just got the first boss down.

+2 FireSword makes short work of everything early on.

Also, when do I get the item that lets me leave messages. Did I overlook it?

m.hache fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 12, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Good because this random knight dude is beating the poo poo out of me.

loving hell you take a lot of damage in this, feels like some kind of blend of DS2 and what I assume bloodborne was like (never played it) even basic enemies are trouncing me with how mobile and aggressive they are.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

I would also like to know if anyone has a solution to this. Or is it a "play in windowed/wait for the patch" kind of deal?

I ended up just setting my monitor's resolution to 720p. On the plus side I can play (pretty ugly) Dark Souls now! Negative: tabbing out, oh god what is this where's all my screenspace gone

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Good because this random knight dude is beating the poo poo out of me.

loving hell you take a lot of damage in this, feels like some kind of blend of DS2 and what I assume bloodborne was like (never played it) even basic enemies are trouncing me with how mobile and aggressive they are.

this game has a lot of enemies that would feel crazy fast and aggressive even in bloodborne

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
anyone know when the patch drops so I can actually play this game

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Game is gorgeous, and runs silky smooth at 1440p.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's incredibly loving cool, to me, that this game launches as a completely white screen for no reason

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

this,,, tree???

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So has anyone tried killing the little king dude in firelink?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I feel real bad for the people having crash/graphical issues, because running at max settings (970) this game's loving gorgeous. There's some lighting stuff going on in a tower on the Wall and a few other areas that looks incredible. I'm not far enough to say how much back-winding the shortcuts do but the levels I've been in so far have that DS1 feeling of 'place'. Excited to see what's ahead.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

All settings at max at 1080p on a 670 on Windows 10 is mostly 60fps with no crashes. I haven't let Nvidia update my drivers in a month or two so pretty old drivers. I do have those annoying audio bugs where ambient sounds keep restarting awkwardly.

I'm not a great Souls player but finding this easier than DS2 and much much easier than Bloodbourne so far.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

A friend of mine died to the first boss, somehow. :haw:

I died to him :negative:

I blew all my estus trying to figure out his first form and then when I got comfortable the second form squashed me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nuebot posted:

So has anyone tried killing the little king dude in firelink?

he drops a thing and then comes back when you leave and return to the place, not particularly upset about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Is there an easy way to make my computer think that my old as hell Logitech Rumblepad 2 is a regular 360 controller? I had some issues making the inputs match properly with Dark Souls 2, and now 3 seems to refuse to recognize that there's a controller plugged in at all. Defaults to m+kb controls, and hammering all the buttons while the title screen is up doesn't have any response.