Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This combat is.. Very different from DS1/2. Do you get any iframes at all beside the roll? Enemies can hit you even when you're on the ground, meaning if you get pancaked you're probably dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Your Computer posted:

This combat is.. Very different from DS1/2. Do you get any iframes at all beside the roll? Enemies can hit you even when you're on the ground, meaning if you get pancaked you're probably dead.

you can roll from being on the ground, and in fact you should

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls 3 just caused my computer to shut down to overheating. It was perfectly fine yesterday. :stare:

Also I didn't get my burial gift. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So am I right that DS3 won't recognize a Dualshock 4 without DS4Windows or another program, but DS2 will? Weird.

Anyway that's not that much of an issue, I had it set up anyway. And hey, at least I was planning on starting as a Knight anyway, so no crashes for me :v:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
No crashes and the graphics are fine maxed but instead I've got a strange sound issue where new 'foreground' sounds (rolling, attacking, menuing, etc) cuts out the ambient sounds

it is surprisingly distracting, even in tutorial land

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i'm mostly not digging the way the gui feels like it went back to demon's souls. it's hard to explain, but everything seems all minimalist, like the health and mana bars are really small and they don't seem to give any marker or indication of your general health level. also, i died to the very first boss and when i came back i was not beef jerky man and it didn't look like my health was any lower. i assume that's just a perk of the training area?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

homeless poster posted:

i'm mostly not digging the way the gui feels like it went back to demon's souls. it's hard to explain, but everything seems all minimalist, like the health and mana bars are really small and they don't seem to give any marker or indication of your general health level. also, i died to the very first boss and when i came back i was not beef jerky man and it didn't look like my health was any lower. i assume that's just a perk of the training area?

nope thats just how it is, enjoy

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
So what are the consensus best weapons available toward the start of the game? I'm trying to be a mixmax dweeb

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless poster posted:

You no longer hollow on death and you don't lose HP either.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

homeless poster posted:

You're dead when you start that area. When you become "alive" the bar extends.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there something different about the controls? I swear I used to have roll / pick up items on the same button A but now its two buttons and it feels weird to have dodge on B. So I put dodge on A but it feels off to have pickup on B. Tiny thing but I keep feeling backwards. Maybe some other game got my Souls control brain screwed up.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
What the gently caress is with people turning into snakes in this game?

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Oh hello Manus, you're here early!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

UberJew posted:

No crashes and the graphics are fine maxed but instead I've got a strange sound issue where new 'foreground' sounds (rolling, attacking, menuing, etc) cuts out the ambient sounds

This is my only issue as well. Runs perfectly, but the sound keeps cutting out in certain areas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

El Golden Goose posted:

So what are the consensus best weapons available toward the start of the game? I'm trying to be a mixmax dweeb

I'm finding the longsword pretty versatile, it drops off the sword dudes on the wall. The thrust attack has good range and being able to guard break with the stance move is really handy if you can't get your kick to fire.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Anyone else having odd stutter when you jump into and out of warp on the bonfire or randomly when moving into a new zone/through what would be a fog gate I guess. I drop to like 32 fps for half a second before it recovers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is FPS unlimited on Max or something? Lowered to High and I'm holding at 65C, but at max settings it burned the computer out in half an hour, and it's a GTX970.

Also turns out the sovereignless soul the game didn't decide to give me was only 2k souls so who cares. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Specto posted:

Where are people finding this katana guy? I've killed a boss and I haven't seen him. Do I need to use a ember?

Up and out the right of the shrine, follow the path to a door you won't be able to open, you'll be accosted by a naked man with a katana. Beat him and take his hanzo steel.

Anyway game owns so far, but speaking of katanamans, has anyone figured out how draw stance R2 works? Is it just a really wide parry?

A Magical Lamp posted:

What the gently caress is with people turning into snakes in this game?

Dark Souls 1 DLC. Think about what happened.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Freak Magnet posted:

Man trying to beat Iudex as Deprived is HARD!

ugggh

I stuck it out for the lizard, wasn't too bad overall - but unless that second form's weak to firebombs it's gonna be real rough. This roll feels so sluggish somehow.

Also is it me or does the camera feel zoomed in further than DS1?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

El Golden Goose posted:

I'm loving the Lucerne.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I got the ps4 version - I read somewhere that the worldwide release would be at the same time for everything but my ps4 menu says it will be out at midnight. Did I back the wrong hoss?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So how early is the soapstone and is it easy to miss it?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Game was running perfectly until I tried to travel to the High Wall of Lothric and then my game got stuck in a loading loop, letting it sit there for 7ish minutes didn't do anything. After this happened 3 times in a row I decided to verify the games integrity and Steam finds 1 file wrong... a 10.8 GB file. What the flying gently caress?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Basebf555 posted:

So how early is the soapstone and is it easy to miss it?

its at the store 10 minutes into the game

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Freak Magnet posted:

Man trying to beat Iudex as Deprived is HARD!

Honestly, just get up in his face and roll around all his attacks. I did him in three attempts. A bit harder than other starts, maybe, but not terribly so.

Your Computer posted:

It feels pretty much like Bloodborne to me in terms of speed, I think it feels fine.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bozart posted:

I got the ps4 version - I read somewhere that the worldwide release would be at the same time for everything but my ps4 menu says it will be out at midnight. Did I back the wrong hoss?

You didn't buy the JPN ps4 version so you could play 3 weeks ago, you dun goofed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BaconCopter posted:

Game was running perfectly until I tried to travel to the High Wall of Lothric and then my game got stuck in a loading loop, letting it sit there for 7ish minutes didn't do anything. After this happened 3 times in a row I decided to verify the games integrity and Steam finds 1 file wrong... a 10.8 GB file. What the flying gently caress?

Game's got some issues.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Is it possible to turn off the messages that people leave in the game but also remain online and get invaded?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I got instant summoned for the dog. I loving love launch day Souls :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lil' Manus in the High Wall is butchering me and my computer's about to overheat again on medium, what in the gently caress.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

UberJew posted:

its really annoying

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

This just happened to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xThd-syvGDs

I never saw that happen in the other games :stare:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LmaoTheKid posted:

I got instant summoned for the dog. I loving love launch day Souls :3:

I have to say I'm not really a fan of this launch day

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
So I summon two dudes to help me with a boss, but they can't seem to get through the fog wall? This happened twice, second time I beat the boss by myself.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Anybody else having some issues summoning players with a password? It worked for a while, but now one of us can't see the other signs and the evil is spreading.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I am crashing constantly. I am at the first bonfire post firelink and I load and walk a few steps, then crash. I just finished updating my drivers and rebooting but it didn't seem to help. Performance was great for me until now.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
I'm debating on refunding on Steam and dealing with the PS4 version. I have a pretty good laptop and after running The Division at a buttery smooth 30 at 1600x900/mix of Medium and High that I would be able to run DkS3 at least decently but whelp. Solid medium setting, few on low and one or two on high, at 1600x900 is a stable 30 with very occasional nosedives to 20.

A few people have mentioned that the 1.1 patch is going to help with performance so I have to weigh whether I want meh PC for a while or Meh But Always Stable console performance.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I'm going between Knight and Warrior for my first character. I want to do pure melee, MAYBE some magic late on but probably not. I'd like to do something in between Bloodborne saw cleaver speed and possibly heavier with the ability to roll a lot. Also I suck rear end at these games so any help from the game is a good thing. What class would you guys recommend?

Is there a good article or video that sums up the story and characters of DS1+DS2?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Made it to the Undead Settlement and got a Greataxe to drop along the way. Should tide me over until I get my Zweihander.

this game is so good you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

I'm crashing anytime there is a fire effect prominently on screen (bonfires, certain enemies/bosses), and I can't seem the find the magic fix to stop it. There's supposedly a 1.1 patch coming tomorrow to all platforms, I sure as god hope it fixes this. I really wanted to make a lot of progress day 1, but I'm kind of stuck.