Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

tobu posted:

I didn't do it... but a 17 year old driving too fast in the wet locked it up, spun it round and backed into me:

And as added icing... "Uhh, I dont think I am insured?"

Update on where I am with my ride and a word of warning to anyone thinking of getting JDM import - The repair here has been quoted at $6700 AUD plus a $850 cash settlement to me because no replacement spoiler is available. That's more than half the worth of the car so thank gently caress I'm not paying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It was about that much when my 180sx got hit too. kid had insurance though so it was all taken care of (minus the body kit parts the shop didnt feel like chasing up ending with me spending $600 out of pocket to source them used)

My next car is definitely going to be a full volume import.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Crustashio posted:

made some custom tools to open my hood because e46s suck

Hood latch cable fail? I'm gearing up for some intensive maintenance on my E46; what should I be looking for :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

tobu posted:

Update on where I am with my ride and a word of warning to anyone thinking of getting JDM import - The repair here has been quoted at $6700 AUD plus a $850 cash settlement to me because no replacement spoiler is available. That's more than half the worth of the car so thank gently caress I'm not paying.

Didn't the guy's mother say she'd pay for the repair? I bet she'll regret that. gently caress.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hood latch cable fail? I'm gearing up for some intensive maintenance on my E46; what should I be looking for :v:

Nope, hood latch failed shut somehow. The passenger side still opens fine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Got the Miata out today. It misfired and ran like poo poo.

Pushed in one plug wire and ran the OBD2 scanner to try and figure it out. O2 sensor reports full lean condition. Ordered new O2 sensor, completing my goal of making one RockAuto order per day so far this week.

Decided I'd tackle why the Civic sits listing to the left on the very-used shocks and springs I put on it. Took apart the right rear shock assembly, made sure it wasn't bent, and reassembled it with new shock mount bushings, nothing seems to have changed.

Pretty frustrating evening.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Laserface posted:

It was about that much when my 180sx got hit too. kid had insurance though so it was all taken care of (minus the body kit parts the shop didnt feel like chasing up ending with me spending $600 out of pocket to source them used)

My next car is definitely going to be a full volume import.

If my missus can get her act together I want to get a AWD Stagea for camping.

88h88 posted:

Didn't the guy's mother say she'd pay for the repair? I bet she'll regret that. gently caress.

I called that off and decided I needed to get my insurance involved because even well-off people would struggle to come up with that sort of cash.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tobu posted:

If my missus can get her act together I want to get a AWD Stagea for camping.

I called that off and decided I needed to get my insurance involved because even well-off people would struggle to come up with that sort of cash.

yeah Im terrible and already think I might get a Stag (RS260) or a Chaser soon.

Why do i make these stupid decisions :(

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Laserface posted:

yeah Im terrible and already think I might get a Stag (RS260) or a Chaser soon.

Why do i make these stupid decisions :(

Get a Stag. They're loving cheap as chips. Just had a friend offer me his manual DayZ one (AWD model, forget the chassis-code) for $5k.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

yeah apparently the RB25 is a better engine than the 26 by a long shot esp if you want to make cheap power.

turbo, fuel pump, injectors, 300kw.

Though I am not sure the AWD ones can be had with a manual trans unless you get the RS260.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tobu posted:

Makes sense, I could see things going tits up when shown a number like that.

Today I taxed the car, so after 3 years off the road it's now legit and good to go. Now to go brim the tank and go drive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Since Florida doesn't require a front plate yet Japan does I had to get some sort of plate put on to cover up the empty plate-holder thing on the front grill.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Got the Miata out today. It misfired and ran like poo poo.

Pushed in one plug wire and ran the OBD2 scanner to try and figure it out. O2 sensor reports full lean condition. Ordered new O2 sensor, completing my goal of making one RockAuto order per day so far this week.

Decided I'd tackle why the Civic sits listing to the left on the very-used shocks and springs I put on it. Took apart the right rear shock assembly, made sure it wasn't bent, and reassembled it with new shock mount bushings, nothing seems to have changed.

Pretty frustrating evening.

My civic ALWAYS leaned to the left. I replaced all of the suspension components and it still did it. The only way to make it not do it is coilovers so that you can even it out. I just kinda gave up on it and then sold it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Bought a seat for the chumpcar.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Replaced discs, pads, shoes and hardware in the rear of the beater Camry. There was a lot of drag on the RR corner when jacked and it had bad tire wear and The car is new to me so I threw everything at it.
gently caress parking drum in the rotor forever. I took me way, way to long to get the shoes sprung into place, and if I ever have to do this again I'll probably pull the hub (but hopefully I never will.) I also banged my head against the wall trying to set the parking brake adjustment. I couldn't get them to set when pulled, without dragging when released. Turns out my girlfriend, who was assisting inside the car, was only pulling the handle up like three clicks. I pulled it up into the normal range and the brakes engage!

Tomorrow I'll pick up some lug nuts to replace the ones mangled by tire techs under the PO's reign and bleed the brakes.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
New front shoes for the 330i, and used Konis for the 240SX!

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Washed after a weekend to the country with the dogs.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sold the TJ. :byewhore:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Did some brake stuff:
Replaced the master cylinder

Replaced both wheel cylinders

Old cylinders after some cleaning

Something I noticed after the adjuster was set is that the pistons don't extend out far enough to contact the shoes when at rest (it's like this for both wheels)

Maybe the brake pedal squishy feeling is due to that distance the pistons have to travel before they start moving the shoes. :shrug:
Anyone here a drum brake wizard?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Removed the passenger side mirror from the Civic and hit it with trim paint. It's not a great job but a decent ten footer.

I couldn't figure out how to get the window stripping off the side window trim so I didn't paint that, I'll just order new trim.

Before:

Sand:

Test fit:

Looks so much better.

Also swapped the reverse switch over from my spare trans because the one that was on the car was working in logical-NOT (R = no light, 1-5/N = reverse light comes on). Even kastein didn't know why. :spooky:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 11, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Also swapped the reverse switch over from my spare trans because the one that was on the car was working in logical-NOT (R = no light, 1-5/N = reverse light comes on). Even kastein didn't know why. :spooky:

The switch had gnarly detents worn into it, I could feel it when I was testing the action. No idea how that translates into working backwards though, poo poo was hosed up.

Time to look for some crowfoot wrenches in case we ever have to do that again, what a drat pain.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So 3 weeks ago my housemate rang me that his landcruiser had started to run funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seo5o2hR7C4

Lifted the head off and found this-

#3 piston had cracked in half

Properly!

so we ripped it down further, got #3 out, got a new standard piston, only to discover a previously unknown engine rebuild and a 1mm overbore... so our new piston didnt fit.

So thats where we were this morning. At noon we started with a block with 5 pistons, no head, no sump and a head sitting on the bench with no cam or injectors in it.

By 6:30pm I'd got it built up to the point where we could crank to build oil pressure to bearings and head

And then after cranking and cranking and cranking and cranking and then jumpstarting it with MY landcruiser to get fuel from the pump to the injectors, we got this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru0oAeT2ayI

(thats a normal throb for the 6 pot toyota diesels!)

By 7:30 it was built up fully under the bonnet

And i ran it to temp to get the coolant bled out and make sure it didnt leak anywhere. And mid way through it inhaled all the oil out of the intercooler when I ran it up to 2000rpm to burp the coolant and nearly choked to death while smoking out my workshop

And at 8:30, it was completely back together and driving on the road.

Im loving knackered.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Mom sends a group text to me and my siblings with these pictures in it. All it says is "there was a car on fire at WalMart"

She is very bad about sending one- or two-word texts and then expecting us to read her mind to figure out the full message, so I thought okay neat.

My sisters don't say anything, so I start asking questions to get more information about what she's trying to show me. Then dad adds this picture to the conversation

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I can only imagine the smell, ugh. Burning plastic is the worst.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Removed the passenger side mirror from the Civic and hit it with trim paint. It's not a great job but a decent ten footer.

I couldn't figure out how to get the window stripping off the side window trim so I didn't paint that, I'll just order new trim.

Before:

Sand:

Test fit:

Looks so much better.

You give much more of a gently caress than I do, I'd have just done the job with one of these.

and I have done. IDGAF. After a week or so it all fades to the same(ish) black. Eff it

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Looks like a Ford truck, another victim of the cruise control switch recall?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Gave it to my wife for her birthday, despite it being not quite done.

I think it turned out alright.

:bernin:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's real pretty!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ferremit posted:

Im loving knackered.

And rightfully so! That's one hell of a lot of work for a day, excellent job!

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I adjusted the rear brakes for an annual roadworthiness inspection and tried to figure out what is leaking and where from. I think most of it is coolant and from somewhere in the thermostat/waterpump region...

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

DoLittle posted:

I adjusted the rear brakes for an annual roadworthiness inspection and tried to figure out what is leaking and where from. I think most of it is coolant and from somewhere in the thermostat/waterpump region...

This thing is awesome, nice work.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just wheels and choo choo gauge

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What's the vent gauge?

Edit: nm I can see it now. How is it ran?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bovril Delight posted:

What's the vent gauge?

Edit: nm I can see it now. How is it ran?

Tube going to intake manifold and power from the headlight switch. A few companies make mounts for mk6 and mk7 golf/gtis to mount standard size gauges in the vents. Vent is still functional.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's why she's spittin

Can any of you engineers estimate the conductivitiy of what appears to be 80 gauge spark plug wire?

Changed out all of the spark plug wires after finding this while re-sealing the passenger side exhaust manifold.

The noisy leak ended up not even coming from the head to manifold joint, it was the bajillion year old asbestos gasket going onto the massively heavy 70s custom exhaust. That poo poo seriously feels like 1/8th inch wall iron pipe. all of the 40 year old bolts came out trouble free, which is amazing considering how rusted some were.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
the resistance probably pales in comparison to the inductance.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

DoLittle posted:

Did you add power steering? I see that ZF tank by Milano had. GTV6's in the States are all manual steering.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Hit an Apex posted:

Did you add power steering? I see that ZF tank by Milano had. GTV6's in the States are all manual steering.

It has a 75/Milano power steering rack. The pump is from a 164. Basically V6 75/Milano power streering should bolt on to a GTV6. Here it is a bit more complicated because of the 24v engine.

The fit is a bit, the belt setup is iffy and the power steering fluid runs hot on track. I've got an extra cooler for the power steering fluid. I am thinking of converting it to an electric power steering pump. Less hoses and more simple auxilary belt setup. Something like this. http://www.megavaux.co.uk/part-power_steering_pump__delphi_x2999999_vauxhall_astra_g__zafira_a-1986.aspx

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
When I put my new wheels on the added traction took away some of the rotation so I adjusted my rear sway to the innermost setting and it's back now hurrah.

Also my tires were at 37lbs because??? I guess California air is lighter than New York air or something but I took some out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

DoLittle posted:

I am so jealous of your Alfa. My dad had a gorgeous one sitting in the backyard for years, next to my MR2 parts car. I would always ask him when we were going to work on it, but then my senior year of high school (2006) I came home one day and it was gone. He sold it along with 3 engines and a turbo kit for it. I'm definitely going to show him a picture of your car. Maybe I'll convince him to buy another one.