Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Blow the rest of the extinguisher in their face.
"Would you prefer if I'd used my boots instead?"

Ha, we had a fire safety class last week and the instructor specifically told us not to do anything dumb like try to stomp a fire out, but to always use the extinguisher. He also showed us a lot of hilarious (well, hilarious if you don't think about the amount of property damage and potential injuries and lost lives) photos of stuff he's actually found during inspections and after large fires.

They also did away with the fun part of the class which was when we'd get to practice putting out a real (small) fire (outdoors). Now it's this electronic video game type thing. It's like putting out a Lite-Brite fire with a laser pointer. :(

"You missed a spot... no there... point it there... THERE... goddammit Sheryl, point it at the loving FLAME!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Karma Monkey posted:

Ha, we had a fire safety class last week and the instructor specifically told us not to do anything dumb like try to stomp a fire out, but to always use the extinguisher. He also showed us a lot of hilarious (well, hilarious if you don't think about the amount of property damage and potential injuries and lost lives) photos of stuff he's actually found during inspections and after large fires.

They also did away with the fun part of the class which was when we'd get to practice putting out a real (small) fire (outdoors). Now it's this electronic video game type thing. It's like putting out a Lite-Brite fire with a laser pointer. :(

"You missed a spot... no there... point it there... THERE... goddammit Sheryl, point it at the loving FLAME!"

just use PASS, it might save someone's life!

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Hot Karl Marx posted:

just use PASS, it might save someone's life!

Oh God, he told us that like 300 times and made us repeat it back and there were still people who screwed it up. :byodood:

Luckily our building is well alarmed and the trucks always arrive within a few (3-5) minutes of the alarm. I would not want to leave it up to the employees to put out a fire. Don't get me started about the poo poo they do with the microwave.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was at an airsoft game on Saturday and some errant smoke grenade throw set a building on fire. They put it out by having a staff member stand on the roof of a utility vehicle (like a Yamaha Rhino or something) and just spray the corner of the roof directly with an extinguisher.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Platystemon posted:

Serious answer: they’re not fail‐safe. There’s nothing stopping one broken sensor from jamming the machine in “full forward” or some other state you don’t want.

Your software needs to handle the loss of inputs and/or you have a separate safety system that safes the whole thing. We use X-box controllers all the time at work for this sort of thing. It breaks? Buy another one at any Best Buy for $30, runs on AA batteries!

E: From experience, they never break stuck in one direction, you usually get a lovely big deadband in the middle, or a slight offset at the "zero" position.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
"Hes alive, broke his back in 2 spots, broke both legs, and shattered his face, but hes great. Walking and talking. Dudes a champ!!! This video was from last year. I didn't post it until I knew he was ok."

Check your zipline speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaX_XktU34Y

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lime Tonics posted:

"Hes alive, broke his back in 2 spots, broke both legs, and shattered his face, but hes great. Walking and talking. Dudes a champ!!! This video was from last year. I didn't post it until I knew he was ok."

poo poo looks treepunk as hell

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics posted:

lol this is like that zip line that goon wanted to build to kill children

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Uh, probably goes without saying but despite being about 7 seconds long this is pretty horrific and :nms: It's literally someone on a zipline slamming into the other end's guardrail at max speed, and not I dunno, someone in a hospital giving the thumbs up.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

Here's a nice OSHA. For reference, the kid is about 5'9"-5'10".
I guess it's fine, but I've certainly never seen a pole that low to the ground before.

I've seen lines like this that run close to train lines(within the 15' on either side, not literally next to the tracks) and they don't go up and down extremely sharply, which probably explains it. Are the nearby poles the same height? Are they near somewhere that has low-flying aircraft or demands low clearance?

Slope on the lines looks like it's short so it doesn't cause the lines to droop dangerously low.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mistle posted:

I've seen lines like this that run close to train lines(within the 15' on either side, not literally next to the tracks) and they don't go up and down extremely sharply, which probably explains it. Are the nearby poles the same height? Are they near somewhere that has low-flying aircraft or demands low clearance?

Slope on the lines looks like it's short so it doesn't cause the lines to droop dangerously low.

Fairly certain that the top level is the only power, and all those glass insulators on the lower level are old-school telegraph lines that used to be all over the place alongside railroad tracks. I think they run something like 70 volts, at fairly low amperage. They'll give you a good tingle, but unless you put them across a pace-maker, unlikely to cause any real harm.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The rail line is actually in the drop behind the pole.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Kid Sinister, Inc.

(Though it sort of looks like low voltage/telco? The pole to the right seems to have insulators on it to indicate High Volatage.)

Edit:

:stare:

Every time I see this picture posted I get a craving for wine gums and then I always post a reply mentioning wine gums.

Wine gums.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

My office struggled to even get a sign-out sheet for non-dangerous electronics made. It wasn't that anyone thought it was unnecessary. They just....never bothered? It never occurred to them?

Of course, the co-owner fell into one of her usual blind panics and attempted to suggest in turn that the office DSLRs and audio recorders be kept under strict lock and key with only one person being authorized to remove them for anything and everything, including her own impulsive "Why don't we just take some pictures of this unusual student in the classroom right now before they leave?" decisions. I put the kibosh on that one.

I'd like to see those pictures of a weird student with a kibosh on them.

What's a kibosh anyway?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's a kibosh anyway?

synonyms: put a stop to, stop, halt, put an end to, quash, block, cancel, scotch, thwart, prevent, suppress.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
There's gonna be a loving OSHA violation if I have to keep working with my oxy popping junkie partner who won't stop watching YouTube conspiracy videos while he drives large truck and trailer.

Best part is is that my boss knows he pops pills!

Gotta love how high school never dies.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Wedemeyer posted:

Uh, probably goes without saying but despite being about 7 seconds long this is pretty horrific and :nms: It's literally someone on a zipline slamming into the other end's guardrail at max speed, and not I dunno, someone in a hospital giving the thumbs up.

According to the comments: back broken in two places, two broken legs, smashed face.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

mds2 posted:

According to the comments: back broken in two places, two broken legs, smashed face.

Yeah, that was in the post he quoted. He just didn't expect it to be a video of the accident itself.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

The Locator posted:

Fairly certain that the top level is the only power, and all those glass insulators on the lower level are old-school telegraph lines that used to be all over the place alongside railroad tracks. I think they run something like 70 volts, at fairly low amperage. They'll give you a good tingle, but unless you put them across a pace-maker, unlikely to cause any real harm.

They are telegraph lines, I've been told they run at 48 volts DC current, but that probably depends on who's running the telegraph.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I love this thread for both the humor and because it reassures me that I'm not crazy for being anal about safety at work. One time I didn't have a lockout that would fit a breaker and assigned someone to sit in the electrical closet while we did the work on the off chance that anyone came in. Nobody came in, but nobody got hurt, either.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

There's gonna be a loving OSHA violation if I have to keep working with my oxy popping junkie partner who won't stop watching YouTube conspiracy videos while he drives large truck and trailer.

Best part is is that my boss knows he pops pills!

Gotta love how high school never dies.
Oh man thats bad.

It's a waste to eat those, he should be snorting them instead!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's a kibosh anyway?

Belgium put one on the Kaiser
https://youtu.be/tt7xJdKfIMM

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Decent ladder usage.

edit : huge picture.

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 14, 2016

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I have a friend who is a middle school teacher and doesn't keep any hand sanitizer in his classroom

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I have a friend who is a middle school teacher and doesn't keep any hand sanitizer in his classroom

That reckless fool! He's going to kill us all!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Good. That poo poo's literally worse than useless. It makes strep more infectious, breeds resistance, and doesn't get your hands any cleaner than just rinsing them with water.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Phanatic posted:

Good. That poo poo's literally worse than useless. It makes strep more infectious, breeds resistance, and doesn't get your hands any cleaner than just rinsing them with water.

lol

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Phanatic posted:

I used to be a CNA, I can tell you that most hospitals consider hand sanitizers to be just as effective as soap and water. Alcohol based hand sanitizers dissolves the lipid membranes and denatures the protein in bacteria, soap on the other hand, coats bacteria in a film which allows for water to remove the bacteria. It's dissolving bacteria vs washing it away, and (according to hospital policy and clinical trials) hand sanitizers perform quite well with the exception of spore forming bacteria such as C. Diff - which is removed by soap and water. That said, I still prefer soap and water but primarily because hand sanitizers tend to be loaded up with tons of moisturizers that will form a thick grease on your hands after a few uses.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Phanatic posted:

show me the bacteria evolving resistance to high concentrations of ethyl alcohol in their surrounding environment

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
what about viruses? does it dissolve viruses

i thought the point of soap & water was no matter how nasty & resistant a thing is, it will always go down the drain.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Palace of Hate posted:

show me the bacteria evolving resistance to high concentrations of ethyl alcohol in their surrounding environment

I know some drunkards...

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

how do you feel about vaccines and fluoride

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Palace of Hate posted:

It's true basically nothing can survive being dunked in EtOH, but more and more can survive an anemic spritz in some cranny

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

froward posted:

what about viruses? does it dissolve viruses

i thought the point of soap & water was no matter how nasty & resistant a thing is, it will always go down the drain.

Just wash your hands in some Forest 5: http://www.jondon.com/betco-forest-5-2.html

quote:

Foaming, Ready-To-Use, disinfectant, cleaner, degreaser, deodorant, mildewstat virucide, fungicide (on hard inanimate surfaces). This broad spectrum germicide is the perfect convenience product for a variety of cleaning tasks. Bactericidal and virucidal, it is proven effective against HIV-1 (Associated with AIDS), Herpes Simplex Type 2, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella choleraesuis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

...Or not: http://sds.betco.com/docs/default-source/sds/307.pdf

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 15, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

quote:

Scientists report that common antibacterial compounds found in those soaps, namely triclosan and triclocarban, may increase the risk of infections, alter the gut microbiome, and spur bacteria to become resistant to prescription antibiotics. Meanwhile, proof of the soaps’ benefits is slim.

There are specific circumstances in which those antimicrobials can be useful, civil engineer Patrick McNamara of Marquette University in Milwaukee told Ars. Triclosan, for instance, may be useful to doctors scrubbing for minutes at a time before a surgery or for hospital patients who can’t necessarily scrub with soap but could soak in a chemical bath. Triclosan and triclocarban do kill off bacteria during long washes. But most people only clean their hands for a few seconds. “There’s evidence that there is no improvement with using soaps that have these chemicals relative to washing your hands under warm water for 30 seconds with soaps without these chemicals,” he said.

A 2014 study led by microbiologist Blaise Boles of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor tested 90 adults and found that 41 percent (37 people) had triclosan-laced boogers. Antimicrobial-snot paradoxically doubles your odds of having the potentially-infectious Staphylococcus aureus bacteria up your nose.

In rats exposed to triclosan, Dr. Boles and his colleagues found that triclosan exposure made it more difficult, not less, for the rodents to fend off Staph invasions. Triclosan seems to make the bacteria “stickier”—better able to adhere to proteins

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/04/mounting-data-suggest-antibacterial-soaps-do-more-harm-than-good/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Triclosan is garbage and guarantees you kill all of the harmless bacteria, setting up a buffet for the infectious ones

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sounds like we should be using more hand sanitizer and less antibacterial soap, then

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
When I worked at Dominos I had to refill the soap dispensers. The pink stuff came in a gallon jug with a plain white label that said Dominos Hand Soap blah blah blah.

I looked at the bottom of the label, and saw:

"Avoid Contact With Skin"

I showed it to the assistant manager who freaked out a bit and brought in some softsoap, and was going to complain to corporate or whatever, but in the end I think their response was to use the hand sanitizer instead if it was a problem. Nobody wore gloves.

All I know was my knuckles and fingers were totally raw after a 3-4 hour shift if I followed correct handwashing procedures, and I was just a driver!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

theflyingexecutive posted:

Triclosan is garbage and guarantees you kill all of the harmless bacteria, setting up a buffet for the infectious ones

for real what the gently caress market space exists (I know the answer is $$$) for a... topical use weak as poo poo antibiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

RabidFurby posted:

When I worked at Dominos I had to refill the soap dispensers. The pink stuff came in a gallon jug with a plain white label that said Dominos Hand Soap blah blah blah.

I looked at the bottom of the label, and saw:

"Avoid Contact With Skin"

I showed it to the assistant manager who freaked out a bit and brought in some softsoap, and was going to complain to corporate or whatever, but in the end I think their response was to use the hand sanitizer instead if it was a problem. Nobody wore gloves.

All I know was my knuckles and fingers were totally raw after a 3-4 hour shift if I followed correct handwashing procedures, and I was just a driver!

Are you sure they didn't ship it to you in a super-concentrated form that you were supposed to dilute before you filled the dispensers with it?