Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

why would you keep poo poo in your fridge?

Must have bought that joke Cards Against Humanity poo poo expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Ad Hoc stroganoff with red wine braised short rib and homemade tagliatelle

This looks amazing

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I need better lighting. And plates that aren't red.

Buffalo and BBQ cauliflower wings with garlic dill yogurt dip, lemon roasted asparagus and maple mashed sweet potato.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

emotive posted:

Buffalo and BBQ cauliflower wings with garlic dill yogurt dip, lemon roasted asparagus and maple mashed sweet potato.

Those are cauliflower? Are they breaded? That's awesome and I want to do it.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Those are cauliflower? Are they breaded? That's awesome and I want to do it.

Yep! I use this recipe with good results: http://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2014/2/11/cauliflower-buffalo-wings

Obviously spices, sauces, etc. can be adjusted for preference. I only did paprika and cumin in the batter since the sauces will overpower all the other flavors anyways.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Beet Risotto

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

WaterIsPoison posted:

Beet Risotto

Oh yeessssssssssssssssssss-uh

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

emotive posted:

That photo has actually got some appeal in that sorta 1980s era cookbook kinda way. Pretty artsy.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Beet Risotto

Did you juice the beets to get this color?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

emotive posted:

Yep! I use this recipe with good results: http://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2014/2/11/cauliflower-buffalo-wings

Obviously spices, sauces, etc. can be adjusted for preference. I only did paprika and cumin in the batter since the sauces will overpower all the other flavors anyways.

Cool recipe, I had to try!

Made a batter with gram flour, used a sauce made out of BBQ sauce, chilisauce, ginger sriracha
and served with raw vegetables and some Turkish yoghurt with za'atar and salt.

Indeed a recipe that can be adjusted without a problem, so I used whatever I had around (and needed to find a use for)
The taste is exactly that of the sauce, that didn't surprise me. but the structure of the cauliflower was unlike anything I expected.
Really good, will make again.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Those look like they came out awesome!

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

ShadowCatboy posted:

Did you juice the beets to get this color?

Yup, even did it by hand because I didn't have a juicer. I grated the beets and then squeezed them wrapped with cheesecloth.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
It's been a while since I've posted in this thread - I've been way too busy to do much serious cooking, until last night.

Made a pre-wedding meal yesterday for the better half before the day on Thursday, and decided to pull out all the stops.

Scallop, jamon iberico de bellota, parsnip puree and apple, served with champagne;

Turkey with chicken mousse, watercress soup, and black truffle, served with chablis;

Beef fillet (blue), morel and wild garlic sauce, fine beans, crushed potato, served with a syrah;

Chocolate-soy mousse, chocolate sauce, varieties of cherries, shattered toffee, served with Innis & Gunn;

Amaretto-stewed apple, crumble, popping candy, amaretto infused whipped cream and rose, served with amaretto.

Couple of things didn't go quite as planned - the mousse was a little less firm than I hoped (should have been a neat ring) - but it certainly went down well, and the Mrs certainly enjoyed it all. Stand out ingredient has to be the iberico bellota though - godDAMN, that stuff is... wow, hard to describe. Like the most ham that has ever hammed.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Olpainless posted:

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread - I've been way too busy to do much serious cooking, until last night.

Made a pre-wedding meal yesterday for the better half before the day on Thursday, and decided to pull out all the stops.

Scallop, jamon iberico de bellota, parsnip puree and apple, served with champagne;

Turkey with chicken mousse, watercress soup, and black truffle, served with chablis;

Beef fillet (blue), morel and wild garlic sauce, fine beans, crushed potato, served with a syrah;

Chocolate-soy mousse, chocolate sauce, varieties of cherries, shattered toffee, served with Innis & Gunn;

Amaretto-stewed apple, crumble, popping candy, amaretto infused whipped cream and rose, served with amaretto.

Couple of things didn't go quite as planned - the mousse was a little less firm than I hoped (should have been a neat ring) - but it certainly went down well, and the Mrs certainly enjoyed it all. Stand out ingredient has to be the iberico bellota though - godDAMN, that stuff is... wow, hard to describe. Like the most ham that has ever hammed.

For some reason I started reading this as "image, then description under" and was so incredibly confused for like half the post. That said it looks amazing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

'What did I make for breakfast at noon'

I find a healthy start to one's day really sets the stage. I'll happily look back on this breakfast when I'm laying on a flouro table having a catheter snaked up to my heart to open the vessels.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Diced portabella caps tossed in balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper, sauteed with minced garlic/chives/shallots and topped with shredded carrots, Parmesan, and almonds. The perfect meal after a long, boring shift.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I want to marry your plates but Congress won't let me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VelociBacon posted:

'What did I make for breakfast at noon'

I find a healthy start to one's day really sets the stage. I'll happily look back on this breakfast when I'm laying on a flouro table having a catheter snaked up to my heart to open the vessels.

Great googly moogly.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I cooked a steak, chopped it up, and put what I'm calling Mexican slaw (beans, corn, cucumber, red onion, cabbage in a cilantro chipotle lime dressing) on top of it with tortillas. It tasted good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chinese birthday cake. Delicious! Basically a chiffon, light airy eggy cake, with homemade whipped cream and fruit topping. Next time maybe I'll get a second springform and make it properly, with two smaller layers and whipped cream and fruit in the middle. Regardless, turned out great. My wife decorated, gently caress piping and arranging strawberries just so. :3:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
5 lbs of onions
2 lbs of pasta
No regrets

Rigatoni alla Genovese!

It's from Food Wishes. I always compare every pasta dish I make against the spaghetti sauce my dad made for us when we were growing up, and since he never made it the same way twice, it never quite lives up to it. But this meat sauce is pretty amazing nonetheless.
Got some good use out of the mandolin too, despite what Chef John says. It kind of tastes like beef stew. My dad suggested adding garlic to it, but since it cooks for 8-10 hours I think whatever I add will be diminished long after its been added. Unless it's garlic powder maybe? Maybe I should roast it and add it near the end? Also my dad suggested mushrooms which I'm definitely not averse to.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 4, 2016

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MrSlam posted:

5 lbs of onions
2 lbs of pasta
No regrets

If you liked it you should try pissaladière. It's basically an onion tart and it's both easy and delicious

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Can I have the recipe for the rigatoni? I'm intrigued by it because I think it would either be super gross or super tasty.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

redweird posted:

Can I have the recipe for the rigatoni? I'm intrigued by it because I think it would either be super gross or super tasty.
Yeah, here you go Food Wishes Rigatoni Alla Genovese. And here's the video if you just want to watch that.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If you liked it you should try pissaladière. It's basically an onion tart and it's both easy and delicious

Interesting. I never would've thought onions could be in anything dessert-like, but it makes sense when you think about it. I'm really tempted to try it. To quote Redweird again in the same post, pissaladière looks like it's could be either astoundingly yummy or a learning experience to look back on.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MrSlam posted:

Interesting. I never would've thought onions could be in anything dessert-like, but it makes sense when you think about it. I'm really tempted to try it. To quote Redweird again in the same post, pissaladière looks like it's could be either astoundingly yummy or a learning experience to look back on.

It's not really a dessert, it's a savoury tart and it's very good. You can serve it as an entrée or a side dish.

In a similar vein I tried an endive tatin tart last month and it goes very well with scallops and foie gras (picture not from me)

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

MrSlam posted:

Yeah, here you go Food Wishes Rigatoni Alla Genovese. And here's the video if you just want to watch that.

Alright I'm completely on board after watching that vid. I wonder if it would work better with beef shin??? All that marrow you know

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Habanero lime marinated skirt steak tacos.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Baked falafel pita sandwiches and a Greek-ish salad. It was good.

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost

The Midniter posted:

Baked falafel pita sandwiches and a Greek-ish salad. It was good.

Did you make the pitas yourself? If yes do you have a recipe? Mine never inflate that well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

gipskrampf posted:

Did you make the pitas yourself? If yes do you have a recipe? Mine never inflate that well.

Ha, nope! That is 100% pure grade-A Publix brand pitas.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Thai style grilled chicken with homemade sweet chili sauce (Nam Jim Gai).
Served with rice, herbs and cucumber slices.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Sunday morning shakshuka.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is my second attempt at this couscous stuffed chicken ballotine recipe. Went a lot better than the first time, but still some kinks to work out. Tasted good though!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Stringent posted:

This is my second attempt at this couscous stuffed chicken ballotine recipe. Went a lot better than the first time, but still some kinks to work out. Tasted good though!

making a chicken naked on both the out- and the inside, is something I still need to try. Your filling looks pretty cool and the whole filled chicken looks tasty!

I'm going to present something I ate last night, not really cooked by myself this time
because after watching the night watch:

we felt lazy and went out for dinner
instead of the common quick pizza, we went to an Ethiopian restaurant for the first time.

We had a serious series of bites before I thought of making a photo, sorry about that...
it was a really fun dinner and it reminded me of how much I like lentils and peas and stuff like that.
will eat again and will make myself

all suggestions for sites/recipes to make a meal (or parts of it) like this on my own would be very welcome

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

How to cook great Ethiopian is a nice site with a ton of recipes. They also have a youtube channel with tons of recipe videos, which I always find to be a big help compared to strictly text recipes.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

angor posted:

Sunday morning shakshuka.

I really want to make this sometime. It looks difficult, if only because all eggs hate me.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Don't be scared! I totally overcooked the eggs and it was still delicious. Shakshuka is really, really easy to make, and quite forgiving. I totally cheated and used a nonstick to cook this in then transferred to a (warmed) stainless so it was that much more fool proof.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

MrSlam posted:

I really want to make this sometime. It looks difficult, if only because all eggs hate me.

it's stupidly easy and changes your life - do it!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Baked falafel with dill yogurt, and quinoa tabbouleh.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

THE MACHO MAN posted:

it's stupidly easy and changes your life - do it!

angor posted:

Don't be scared! I totally overcooked the eggs and it was still delicious. Shakshuka is really, really easy to make, and quite forgiving. I totally cheated and used a nonstick to cook this in then transferred to a (warmed) stainless so it was that much more fool proof.

Alright, I'll do it! I'm going to Toxx myself to do it by the end of this upcoming Saturday. I know that's not how Toxxes work, but I'll know and I'll punish myself if I don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

emotive posted:

Baked falafel with dill yogurt, and quinoa tabbouleh.

Do yourself a favor and reverse the ratio of greens/grains of your tabbouleh like it should be. Once you tried proper tabbouleh you realize why the supermarket version heavy on bulgur is poo poo

• Locked thread