Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jre posted:

wtf $1,600 for an i5 and 8GB of ram? Why not just buy a mac and boot camp windows?

don't get that one, get the i7/16gb. also the i5 would still be better than a mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

jre posted:

wtf $1,600 for an i5 and 8GB of ram? Why not just buy a mac and boot camp windows?

someone who wants a laptop that won't give their lap a 3rd degree burn during regular use

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

don't get that one, get the i7/16gb. also the i5 would still be better than a mac

a 4K touchscreen

why

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the 15" MacBook pro starts at $2k has a worse processor, ram, ssd, gpu, and screen.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

theultimo posted:

a 4K touchscreen

why

because steve jobs was wrong and he died because of it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao some dumb fuckers probably actually bought one of those MacBook "pros". lol.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
just buy an Asus Rog

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Dodoman posted:

someone who wants a laptop that won't give their lap a 3rd degree burn during regular use

So a macbook then ?

Shaggar posted:

Its a 2 kilo plasticy dell turd op, with poo poo reviews on that page

quote:

When I first got this machine I almost sent it back. It would not wake from sleep, sometimes shutting the lid would turn it on instead of putting it to sleep, I occasionally got messages at boot time saying "hard drive not installed", and similar off-the-wall crazy behavior.

The copy of this machine I got had a very old copy of the UEFI on it, 1.0.1.something, while the latest from Dell at this time was something like 1.0.15.something. This UEFI update isn't delivered by Windows Update, so you need to go to support.dell.com, grab the "Dell XPS 15 9550 System BIOS" update, and install it manually. (And you'll probably want to update other drivers from there that WU won't install too)

quote:

Initially I would have rated the unit 4 stars, it was great but had a few hiccups. The Intel graphics repeatedly crashed and recovered almost immediately.

quote:

When I first bought this laptop I was having not stop 'blue screen' problems. Has anyone experienced this also and found a way to resolve it? I had to return it and buy something else, but I am interested in trying again. Thanks
answers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mine works great and its a thousand times better than a mac book "pro"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

shaggar this is really expensive for a computer that probably doesn't run osx very well

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol what kind of idiot would want osx on a computer?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

lol what kind of idiot would want osx on a computer?

people with taste

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

people with taste

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. no, seriously tho. who would ever own a computer running osx? I can even imagine how brain damaged someone would have to be to want such a Linux on their computer.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

how can you keep defending this?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

akadajet posted:

His commitment to the gimmick is unwavering :patriot:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

fake reviews are pretty lame. you should get one. they're litterrally the best laptop you can buy.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the xps 15 was buggy because it was like the first skylake laptop with thunderbolt 3 and discreet graphics, my coworker hasn't complained much after a bunch of firmware and driver updates

the next macbook pro will be great day one because apple does beta testing in house

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
everyone always says that. "the next mac book pro will finally be the good one!" but it never happens.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

everyone always says that. "the next mac book pro will finally be the good one!" but it never happens.

same with sell

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

That's our Shaggar!
*audience applauds, curtain closes and Shaggar is lured back into his cage with a fresh bicycle messenger kill*

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
some ppl at work wanted to get the surface 4 qual'ed for the corp image but the it folks can't get it to sleep properly, even after that update that was supposed to fix everything. turns out having a yubikey is just too much for windows 10.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I didn't really like the surface and its sad its the best tablet out there.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the macbook pro is the standard computer for people who matter

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
someone scratch a surface with a macbook and vice versa please report your findings to the thread

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Siljmonster posted:

someone scratch a surface with a macbook and vice versa please report your findings to the thread

pretty hard because people with surfaces generally don't have any scratch

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Cocoa Crispies posted:

:drat:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

:golfclap:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cocoa Crispies posted:

:eyepop:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/mspoweruser/status/719616660705923072

I'm the "If vou call a suooort oerson, oive them this info:"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

cool, more ways for microsoft to generate bing searches

this one goes to the url listed next to it, http://windows.com/stopcode, which expands to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors which is not helpful

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Surfacebook best device heck yeah

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

yo shaggar. i wanna hear you defend this.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Let me rephrase my question

what windows laptop can I give an employee that will result in the least amount of support for me to have to deal with

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mods please rename me CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

what windows laptop can I give an employee that will result in the least amount of support for me to have to deal with

what do they do?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

actually gently caress it just get go with a lenovo.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mac
book
pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

etch-a-sketch

• Locked thread