Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Puntification posted:

Comparing deaths from malnutrition to deaths from GMOs is a really disingenuous non-sequitur even if the people commenting are dipshits, unless you are giving away these GM crops or their produce people dying from malnutrition are still gonna die cos they can't afford to pay for them in the first place. In the future GMOs might be useful for producing plants that can deal with a climate that's significantly changed but for the time being world hunger is a distribution issue and the problem is capitalism not food production; the idiots are ironically correct.

I agree with you, however this idiot isn't saying "This is a disingenuous comparison and here's well thought out and nuanced argument explaining why." He's saying "GMO safety is a loving lie you useless hippy pussy!" For what it's worth the guy in the profile picture he was responding to looked like a bog standard young dude with a buzzcut and wearing a normal t-shirt :shrug:

There's more of his shittiness in the comment thread but I can't find it again and I only took those two screenshots. He then went on to make like a dozen posts back-to-back, many of which were quoting excerpts from dubious reports about thousands of people dying from eating GMO and a few others from reports about pesticides that don't even mention GMO at all. Quotes were not sourced.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also groups like the Golden Rice Project do straight up give the technology to reasearch institutions and governments in developing countries. The GRP even prohibits the selling of Golden Rice seeds at higher than non-GR seed prices and the international export of GR rice by commercial groups so that farmers can afford the seeds and the crop stays in the community where it's needed.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also groups like the Golden Rice Project do straight up give the technology to reasearch institutions and governments in developing countries. The GRP even prohibits the selling of Golden Rice seeds at higher than non-GR seed prices and the international export of GR rice by commercial groups so that farmers can afford the seeds and the crop stays in the community where it's needed.

Yeah, but that's a lot harder to be angry about. I prefer the 'ignorance is bliss (and anger)' route.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

I agree with you, however this idiot isn't saying "This is a disingenuous comparison and here's well thought out and nuanced argument explaining why." He's saying "GMO safety is a loving lie you useless hippy pussy!" For what it's worth the guy in the profile picture he was responding to looked like a bog standard young dude with a buzzcut and wearing a normal t-shirt :shrug:

There's more of his shittiness in the comment thread but I can't find it again and I only took those two screenshots. He then went on to make like a dozen posts back-to-back, many of which were quoting excerpts from dubious reports about thousands of people dying from eating GMO and a few others from reports about pesticides that don't even mention GMO at all. Quotes were not sourced.

It's very frustrating to me because while I'd like to sympathise with the position they argue it from such a position of ignorance that they are objectively wrong in pretty much all other ways and it ruins the point they could make.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

GRP is a good project but it's a one of a kind pretty much as far as I know.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FlyinPingu posted:

I'd think voice acting would just be every other character having a voice, and link still being (aside from all the yelling) silent.

Link should use sign language.

There's a cute Samus and person from the new Star Wars movie fanart pic and Samus just signs.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Meanwhile in real life:

quote:

Goddammit, it only took me five seconds of Googling to discover that (again) Safe Spaces are nothing like what South Park thinks they are. Nobody is talking about giving celebrities Safe Spaces to be famous in, the discussion is about college kids who have traditionally been victims of harassment being allowed to not be victims of harassment for a while. Like, if you're a gay college student and active in the PRIDE group, you can go to a "Safe Space" where you're allowed to just hang out and people aren't allowed to ask you questions about what it's like to be gay. It really just sounds like a "home" to me and ... I haven't been keeping up, but we're still allowed to have private homes, right? And to choose who we live with? I wouldn't choose to live with somebody who listened to dubstep, and that's my right as an American. I assume that right extends to people who don't want to be called a "loving Jew" while they're trying to watch the new season of Daredevil.
So basically this guy is getting mad over stuff like young gay folks having places to hang out where being a lovely homophobe is against the rules. (Well, actually he's mad at a shared hallucination of what Kids These Days are like.)

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Maybe Link isn't actually saying anything and his sole method of communication with the outside world is just endless guttural groans and screaming

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Those are all really good cases actually

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Genitals and gender sound kind of alike. I wonder if there's some sort of connection to be made there

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

EmmyOk posted:

Those are all really good cases actually

IQ is a poo poo measurement of intelligence.

Physique refers to appearance as much as actual musculature, condition, health, and such.

Semen at best defines half the child.

An acceptable post.

oldpainless posted:

Genitals and gender sound kind of alike. I wonder if there's some sort of connection to be made there

They are both from a word meaning kind, race or birth? So is genre. Unless you are joking.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

And if you adopt, well, poo poo!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiberius Thyben posted:

IQ is a poo poo measurement of intelligence.

Physique refers to appearance as much as actual musculature, condition, health, and such.

Basically

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If they do voice acting for Link they should just do a joke about it in the opening cutscene, where he cannot get a word in and just gets more and more frustrated until he only communicates in angry grunts and stays that way for the rest of the game.
"GANON IS ON HIS WAY"
"Well, I think that..."
"BUT GANON IS COMING AND WE NEED TO STOP HIM LINK!"
"Well yes, but what if..."
"GO TO THE FOREST AND GET THE SWORD"
"rrrrrrggg. I'm just trying to suggest..."
"YOU HAVE YOUR"
"another tactic..."
"MISSION!"
"that, if you'll just listen, may be..."
"GO!"
"RAAAAGGH! FINE! GAH! *Kicks open door angrily* HYAAAH!"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So basically how Jak and Daxter did it in their first game? Although in Link's case you'd replace Daxter with a fairy that won't shut up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My friend who is insane for Nintendo and all things Zelda says Link will be the silent crowbar wielding protagonist which seems fine? Did he have a lot of dialogue in the previous games?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So basically how Jak and Daxter did it in their first game? Although in Link's case you'd replace Daxter with a fairy that won't shut up.

My favourite line from that game was
Sage: "Let me guess... you went to the Misty Isle that I expressly forbid you to go to, got into trouble and Daxter finally ended up taking a long needed bath... albeit in a pool of Dark Eco, that resulted in this ridiculous form I see before me?"
Daxter: "Are you gonna keep yappin' or are you gonna help me out here?!"
Sage: "I'M GONNA KEEP YAPPIN'! Quite frankly, the new form is an improvement!"

Also I never minded the twist in the third game that Daxter had turned into a precursor because I thought that that was where it was going since the beginning. It just seemed to make sense.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SCA Enthusiast posted:

The thing that bothers me most about the mad about Zelda guy is that he has his name spelled Mårc for some bizarre reason. Probably because he thinks he's some kind of special snowflake but it just makes me pronounce it Morc in my head which sounds idiotic.

This is how I feel about names with Greek characters (and Cyrillic, but I don't know any of those languages) substituted for Englsh ones. ροω is pronounced "ro-o", not "pow".

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

SCA Enthusiast posted:

The thing that bothers me most about the mad about Zelda guy is that he has his name spelled Mårc for some bizarre reason. Probably because he thinks he's some kind of special snowflake but it just makes me pronounce it Morc in my head which sounds idiotic.

Don't make fun of them or their bff/hated enemy Gårk.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Far-right UK politician does not watch the finest sports entertainment apparently.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Otisburg posted:

My friend who is insane for Nintendo and all things Zelda says Link will be the silent crowbar wielding protagonist which seems fine? Did he have a lot of dialogue in the previous games?

The literal only thing he's ever uttered in a canon game to my knowledge is "I FOUND A MIRROR UNDER THE TABLE" and that was probably a translation mishap.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

zakharov posted:

Far-right UK politician does not watch the finest sports entertainment apparently.

When I think 'Syrians' I too imagine burly, black, and white ginger guys.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

mng posted:

When I think 'Syrians' I too imagine burly, black, and white ginger guys.

Wait, so are they Syrians preaching hate, or are they preaching hating Syrians? I'm so confused.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

SpacePig posted:

Wait, so are they Syrians preaching hate, or are they preaching hating Syrians? I'm so confused.

They're going to put you through a table

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

SpacePig posted:

They are professional wrestlers Tommy Dreamer and the Dudley Boys

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

zakharov posted:

https://twitter.com/jaydafransenbf

This is a mock/parody account, right? I mean, the person replies to a tweet stating that they're a Cher impersonator to refute it.

But the original tweet has #FakeRockAndRollFacts as a hashtag......

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

The literal only thing he's ever uttered in a canon game to my knowledge is "I FOUND A MIRROR UNDER THE TABLE" and that was probably a translation mishap.

When I'm Crouching You Can Make me do the Duckwalk.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Cool huh!?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mak0rz posted:

Wind Waker Link said three words, and one of them was 'meow'.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

XHamster is blocking North Carolina.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Go Joe.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Poe's law was really in full effect for Chris' comments. He covered basically all the idiotic talking points

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Poe's law was really in full effect for Chris' comments. He covered basically all the idiotic talking points

He was pretty obviously joking.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Picnic Princess posted:

XHamster is blocking North Carolina.

Chuck is a grand dad.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

My mentally unstable nice-guy acquaintance that I've posted in here before went on a rant about women today

He then posted some helpful role models for today's young ladies

And then some more a few hours later

And uh, he's still at it

No one has commented yet.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

:laffo: Those 'role models' are so opposite to the "I need a man to complete me" stereotype he thinks women should be it's almost wrapped around to satire. You should post this on his Peaches link

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Yq5pchCqM

If that's not "too empowered or overbearingly intense" for a Nice Guy, I wonder what is.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Corley posted:

My mentally unstable nice-guy acquaintance that I've posted in here before went on a rant about women today

And uh, he's still at it

nice meltdown

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Peaches and Amanda loving Palmer are on his list of a Nice Guy's ideal woman? The hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Corley posted:

And uh, he's still at it

:laffo: Siouxsie loving Sioux is on his list