Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

this hanzo steel wielding motherfucker :darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anyone playing the Assassin or Herald? How are you finding them? Hybrids sound fun but I worry they may suffer from 'good at many great at none' kinda issues

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
As a newbie knight, what should I be dumping my stats into?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Joey McChrist posted:

this hanzo steel wielding motherfucker :darksouls:

He's my favorite character and I really want to know what's behind that door.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Am I seeing right that fire infusing removes all scaling? Or is it actually scaling off Faith and Int or whatever like DS2?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Etrips posted:

Whatever you want. Do you have anything in mind for what you want to wield later on down the road? DEX and STR are always good choices if you plan to be melee. VIT is nice since it increases your equipload and being able to fast roll in a nice shiny suit of armor feels good. Otherwise you can't go wrong with health or stamina.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

The Knight guy after the dragon in the High Wall of Lothric is by far the hardest enemy of his type I've run into in one of these games. Black Knights and Blue Eye Knights got nothing on him, jesus.

I haven't had any trouble with the knights, I just keep my shield up, circle around, then backstab. Follow up with a heavy attack while they get up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

As someone who really disliked DS1 and DS2, but loved Bloodborne (my first ever platinum trophy, in fact) I have to say, this game fuckin' rules.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nuebot posted:

Whatever you want. Do you have anything in mind for what you want to wield later on down the road? DEX and STR are always good choices if you plan to be melee. VIT is nice since it increases your equipload and being able to fast roll in a nice shiny suit of armor feels good. Otherwise you can't go wrong with health or stamina.

Probably a greatsword wielding duder.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

Am I seeing right that fire infusing removes all scaling? Or is it actually scaling off Faith and Int or whatever like DS2?

Yep, removes all scaling.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Etrips posted:

vigor for hp, endurance for stamina, and strength or dexterity depending on how the weapon you want to use scales. if you can't decide just split it between str and dex evenly. put points into vitality to increase your equip load if you need to get under 70% for medium rolls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Anyone playing the Assassin or Herald? How are you finding them? Hybrids sound fun but I worry they may suffer from 'good at many great at none' kinda issues

Herald is great. It's got armor, some healing to top off your health, a 100 physical block shield and a spear which is probably the safest weapon considering how fast enemies are and how easy it is to stunlock them.

Question Time!

How far into the game does titanite shards become buyable? I want to try out all my new weapons but don't want to risk running out.

e: Also, is scaling completely different in this game? I noticed on my spear that I only ever got 1 damage from +dex or str and their scaling is not the same. In DS2 you could perhaps expect +2 for ever X dex etc.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I'm having a lot of fun when the game isn't constantly crashing to desktop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Etrips posted:

That depends on what kind of a dude you want to grow up to be. In general, your starting class only determines the stats and equipment you start with--you can really go anywhere from here.

You'll want Vigor for HP, Endurance for Stamina, and you'll want to major in either Strength (slow weapons that hit hard) or Dexterity (fast weapons that hit often) early on. Note that, if this is anything like the rest of the games in this series, upgrading your weapons at the blacksmith will have more effect on your damage than Strength or Dexterity at first, so prioritize that if you have the choice.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Man, I missed having a shield in Bloodborne, this feels so much more natural to me.

Also I forgot to select a starting gift like an idiot. Oh well. Maybe selecting nothing will lead to a big secret :smith:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Ulvirich posted:

Yep, removes all scaling.

I hope that doesn't mean it's as worthless as it was in DS2 due to the dual resistances. At least its thematically appropriate for my pyromancer

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Get your Strength to 11 and Dex to 16 to use the hanzo steel, laugh as zombies get cut down really fast.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I am happy to see the return of a classic souls enemy, fat guy who casts spells and has an incredible laugh. Is that a spoiler? I dunno, not in the first area, whatever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was surprised and pleased with myself for killing the titanite beast and tutorial boss on my first try.

Then an HONORABLE KATANA DUEL happened and I remembered what game I was playing.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Cicadalek posted:

I hope that doesn't mean it's as worthless as it was in DS2 due to the dual resistances. At least its thematically appropriate for my pyromancer

its good to start, i found a broadsword and made that fire, owns. Chaos is the imbue for int/faith now.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

went with a warrior and only died once to the lizard, off to a good start!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Spent an hour diagnosing that my old PC controller is broken

Went to the store to get a new one

Spent two hours diagnosing that it won't work unless I upgrade to Windows 10 because it's an Xbox One controller instead of a 360

Dark Souls 3 is probably going to be real cool once I can actually play it. Guess I could go in with keyboard and mouse but I can't imagine that being any good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Wait so purple phantom is just a white phantom and red phantom combined?

No false, purple is a totally different covenant.

Blue, white, gold, red, purple, all different covenants of the rainbow.

There's lots of covenants and its awesome.

I've been having non-stop rumbles in the first two zones, just leave on way of the blue and stay embered and hang around and people will chain invade and you'll get bluecops to help you fight htem.

I'm having non-stop 3v2s with myself, a friend, whatever random bluecop shows up to the line of duty, and then we're against two reds or a red and a purple.

Its so loving awesome.

Also you can invade while you're a blue or gold phantom, and you'll be both. I've seen Gold/Red and Blue/Red both of which are kinda trippy :stare:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So Farron Dart is pretty useless at minimum int requirement and an unupgraded catalyst. The heal spell you can buy works okay though. :v:

And I just watched someone kill the fat witch and all her buddies with a few soul greatsword swipes, so that was rad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

So Farron Dart is pretty useless at minimum int requirement and an unupgraded catalyst. The heal spell you can buy works okay though. :v:

And I just watched someone kill the fat witch and all her buddies with a few soul greatsword swipes, so that was rad.

Its a dart. Its only for pulling mobs, not doing damage. Its not a soul arrow. But yeah, it does like literally zero damage.
Soul arrow and greater soul arrow do decent damage with good int, especially lots of mobs are weak to magic. Magic sword is pretty great on top of an already good weapon.

Also don't forget:

Sword art for catalysts gives you a temporary buff increasing spell damage.
Sword art for chimes gives you a regeneration buff.
Sword art for talismans gives you a buff to poise while casting miracles.

Different effects! The chime gives you a free heal without using up a attunement slot, which is cool, although its a slow heal. But you can pre-cast it too.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I think this might be the first Souls game in which I prefer the Broadsword over the Longsword. The charged 1H R2 has better reach than my starting spear.

I managed to get the game to stop crashing by turning the lighting to low as everyone has said, but I still get hang-ups every so often -- the framerate is silky smooth 99% of the time, but when the hang-up happens, it's like the game freezes. It eventually unfreezes, so it's not unplayable, but man, is it really annoying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spent two hours diagnosing that it won't work unless I upgrade to Windows 10 because it's an Xbox One controller instead of a 360

Dude xbox one controllers work fine with Windows 7. I'm doing that right now. They're not win10 only you just might have to manually download drivers.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

No false, purple is a totally different covenant.

Blue, white, gold, red, purple, all different covenants of the rainbow.

There's lots of covenants and its awesome.

I've been having non-stop rumbles in the first two zones, just leave on way of the blue and stay embered and hang around and people will chain invade and you'll get bluecops to help you fight htem.

I'm having non-stop 3v2s with myself, a friend, whatever random bluecop shows up to the line of duty, and then we're against two reds or a red and a purple.

Its so loving awesome.

Also you can invade while you're a blue or gold phantom, and you'll be both. I've seen Gold/Red and Blue/Red both of which are kinda trippy :stare:

On the inverse, using a simple cracked red eye orb seems to lead to 1v3 and 1v4 scenarios which is decidedly unfun. Especially when it's clear that they're baiting invaders by hanging in one difficult to assault location.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So no soul memory??? Can I farm my heart out?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a dart. Its only for pulling mobs, not doing damage. Its not a soul arrow. But yeah, it does like literally zero damage.
Soul arrow and greater soul arrow do decent damage with good int, especially lots of mobs are weak to magic. Magic sword is pretty great on top of an already good weapon.

Also don't forget:

Sword art for catalysts gives you a temporary buff increasing spell damage.
Sword art for chimes gives you a regeneration buff.
Sword art for talismans gives you a buff to poise while casting miracles.

Different effects! The chime gives you a free heal without using up a attunement slot, which is cool, although its a slow heal. But you can pre-cast it too.

Oh it's that on purpose? I didn't realize. I killed a phantom with one though his shield so there's that. :haw:

I forgot about those arts though, thanks for reminding me!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Running with the Butcher's Machete and having a blast. Level design is the trickiest of all the Soulsborne games. I feel like there are lot of little branches and side paths I've missed already. I ran into Fat Witch Beatrix and got my rear end kicked but now I can't remember how to get back to her.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any particularly fun weapons to find in the High Wall of Lothric? The Longsword's nice and all, but I wouldn't mind something a bit more exciting to start off with.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TGLT posted:

I am happy to see the return of a classic souls enemy, fat guy who casts spells and has an incredible laugh. Is that a spoiler? I dunno, not in the first area, whatever.

Undead town or w/e? Was kinda dancing with the worshippers or w/e?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man, just started and this parry timing is fuckin' weird. I'm having an embarrassing amount of trouble trying to parry these beginner enemies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

StarkRavingMad posted:

Man, I missed having a shield in Bloodborne, this feels so much more natural to me.

Also I forgot to select a starting gift like an idiot. Oh well. Maybe selecting nothing will lead to a big secret :smith:

Honestly most of the starting gifts in this game kind of blow, probably because in the other games there was always one that was almost gamebreakingly good. The fire gem is probably the best one this time around for the early damage, but overall they're nothing that really makes or breaks the game. I went with the health ring just because.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jesus Christ this game is so good already.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Freak Magnet posted:

Man trying to beat Iudex as Deprived is HARD!

"Oh just pick any class it doesn't matter" they said.

"Sure try out deprived it'll be fun" they said.

:shepface:

But I eventually did beat him. So now that fight has rocketed into probably the Top 10 best Bloodsouls fights. If none of you have fought that guy as a deprived, make a new guy and give it a shot. He is hard as balls.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude xbox one controllers work fine with Windows 7. I'm doing that right now. They're not win10 only you just might have to manually download drivers.

That's what the two hours was spent on and I straight up can not make Windows recognize the thing in any meaningful sense. It turns the controller on in a kind of standby mode, then the drivers fail to install when it automatically attempts. I downloaded the drivers manually in an attempt to link them to the controller through the device manager, and it did so but says it failed to initialize with an error code that means the drivers installed incorrectly. Reinstalling the drivers doesn't work, and I did multiple combinations of re-downloading, uninstalling, restarting, etc.

Just going to return this drat thing tomorrow and get a 360 controller if they have it. At least that should more or less work out of the box, unlike the One controller where you have to run through a bunch of nonsense which may of may not work in order to get it running on Windows 7. They pretty clearly haven't tried to make it work too much since you can't even download the drivers from the Microsoft site and most of the documentation makes it sound like it's clearly intended for 8 and 10 with a shoddy workaround for 7.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Panty Saluter posted:

DS3 ran great on my machine for four hours tonight, but I tried to summon a bunch of times and all of them failed immediately :\

That's because it's day 1 and literally everyone is putting their summon sign down and literally everyone is grabbing them as soon as they see them.

I failed 4 times before finally grabbing one from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Extremely pleased at how early this game gives you access to proper witch attire.

:witch: