Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Hollismason posted:

Figured out how to install the mod pack from Gibberlings and am now very happy so far with the game. That whole stackable thing is great.

Tweak mods best mods :D

Luisfe posted:

It really changes the flow of the game, for the better.

It really, really does. I feel like I'm playing some sort of awesome Diablo/BG hybrid.

Kavak posted:

Your dad would be proud.

If anyone enjoys BG fanfic, this is hilarious http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=17135.0 Evil party on a rampage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
is it worth importing over the claw of kazgaroth over the helm of balduran BG1-BG2?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kavak posted:

The ending movie was fine, though it should have included Irenicus appearing and dramatically throwing his hood back as I thought he was going to do at some point. The sudden stop before it was the awkward part, like those times in JRPGs where you get control for five seconds to leave a room and start another cutscene. It was probably stitched on from the original draft- it could explain why you get Imoen back for a few seconds, she might have been available as a party member in it.

What does Jaheira say when she gets the necklace? Did they try to set up her sudden lust for Charname in SoA at all by hinting at problems in the marriage or anything like that?

I hope we get some kind of inside scoop on the expansion's development some day in the future, I'm sure there'll be interesting stories about what was intended, what got cut and why, were things vetoed by WotC, etc.

There was some set up I noticed for Jaheira/Khalid/CHARNAME in SOA but it was, uh, kind of gross.

I don't remember much about the necklace. Jaheira does a fairly typical 'why would Khalid waste all this time on something so trivial when he could be doing something more important' but she loves it. That was cute, really, but it's about all it is.

As for the setup... Well, you know how you can try to kick one of them out of the party? If you try to kick Khalid out, CHARNAME gets lines that basically say 'Jaheira, I was hoping we could leave Khalid behind and travel somewhere by ourselves' and she gets understandably pissed off and so does Khalid with both of them basically staking their territory ("You'll know where to find US!" says Khalid). CHARNAME comes off as a total loving lecher and it felt really gross.

I did like the line where you go to have Jaheira join the party and one response to 'Is there something you wish to say?' is 'Yes, but out of respect for your husband, I won't' and she replies 'Yes, that would be for the best'. Jaheira and Khalid are depicted as having a solid, loving marriage where Jaheira leads and Khalid provides warmth. I think it's fine to have some tension there with the three of them but not to have it seem like CHARNAME is the sort who would have rejoiced with Khalid's death.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
To be honest I think it's impossible for the Jaheira romance to lose that touch of creepiness of "YOUR HUSBAND LITERALLY JUST DIED, WE CAN BRING HIM BACK." The amount it feels forced is more or less hardwired into the whole thing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"My husband's body and soul have been so thoroughly defiled that he can never return to this world, and said soul may not even exist any more at all.

Ah well thems the breaks, time to find a new one!"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It's definitely a weird and probably unhealthy relationship but I think all of CHARNAME"s relationships are - it's probably par for the course when you're a Bhaalspawn.

But there's 'kind of hosed up' and then there's CHARNAME doing a little fist pump when they find Khalid's tortured, mutilated corpse, y'know?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Aerie the manic pixie sadsack is actually the most normal of the male romance options (Besides Neera, though I don't know if EE counts).

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Speaking of unhealthy relationships, Imoen at the end of SoD seemed a bit too attached. "I'm never leaving you again!" or whatever she says after the sewers. Of course, that was after her skipping SoD even though I already dualed her to mage in standard BG1.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kavak posted:

Aerie the manic pixie sadsack is actually the most normal of the male romance options (Besides Neera, though I don't know if EE counts).

Have to agree to disagree here, Aerie's definitely the worst - it reads like CHARNAME taking advantage of the wounded, vulnerable, literally mutilated girl. I'd probably put Viconia at the most normal but that may be because my memory of it is hazy. I don't think Jaheira's is so bad - given that the ghost of Khalid actually says it's all good in SoA, combined with how long she grieves for - but it's still shadowed by the fact that she's an older, widowed woman whose new man was friends with her husband and basically her godchild (No, not in the Bhaal sense!).

All of them are still more interesting and nuanced than anything Bioware's done since, though. And I do think it's a good thing that a child of a literal deity of murder should have weird relationships where people are weirdly drawn to them because of their power.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 12, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I have played through enough mod romances to just embrace the fact that Charname's love life is about as healthy as their father's.

Molybdenum posted:

is it worth importing over the claw of kazgaroth over the helm of balduran BG1-BG2?
Probably not, but you can stack the Claw with protection items and whatever else you've got to reach really high saving throw bonuses against everything except poison/death.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

I have played through enough mod romances to just embrace the fact that Charname's love life is about as healthy as their father's.

I've heard that Saerilith is apparently the worst of the worst? Some kind of weeaboo teenage Paladin who is fifteen years old and a love interest?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ritorix posted:

Speaking of unhealthy relationships, Imoen at the end of SoD seemed a bit too attached. "I'm never leaving you again!" or whatever she says after the sewers. Of course, that was after her skipping SoD even though I already dualed her to mage in standard BG1.

I noticed that too, and it's not just the ending. I'm worried one or more of the writers might be a fan of...it.

Though honestly I've always though that a Skywalker scenario would make for a pretty funny Chapter 4.

"Aware of what you are, child of Bhaal. You are aware and she is not. That makes you more able to focus. You didn't know?"
"Imoen's Bhaalspawn? But I...we...with my own...oooHHH GODS:barf:"
"*Sigh* Flush the tube of vomit, he is not permitted to die just yet..."

Milky Moor posted:

Have to agree to disagree here, Aerie's definitely the worst - it reads like CHARNAME taking advantage of the wounded, vulnerable, literally mutilated girl. I'd probably put Viconia at the most normal but that may be because my memory of it is hazy. I don't think Jaheira's is so bad - given that the ghost of Khalid actually says it's all good in SoA, combined with how long she grieves for - but it's still shadowed by the fact that she's an older, widowed woman whose new man was friends with her husband and basically her godchild (No, not in the Bhaal sense!).

All of them are still more interesting and nuanced than anything Bioware's done since, though.

Normal but evil (at the start) is a fair assessment of Viconia.

Aerie's personality doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Someone at her level of grief over her maiming would barely be able to function from day to day, not serve as the most versatile caster in the game. There's also the fact that the stuff about her wings not working even if they were regrown is BS as far as 2nd edition magic goes (I think) and there is literally a spell called Fly.

Honestly, I can't get upset over Aerie while Saerilith exists. It is The Worst Mod. You kind of need to see it played through to understand, though http://lparchive.org/Baldurs-Gate-2-and-Throne-of-Bhaal/

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Milky Moor posted:

I've heard that Saerilith is apparently the worst of the worst? Some kind of weeaboo teenage Paladin who is fifteen years old and a love interest?
Saerileth is up there, yeah. She's fifteen and the mod writers have gone on record saying that's not a big deal because that's how old Juliet was in Romeo and Juliet. You can kill Saerileth multiple times by breaking her heart.
The same modders that made Saerileth also released Tsujatha, a dark and brooding elf necromancer with 19 intelligence that cutscene-kills Korgan because the modders don't like Korgan.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is fun so far, but I have the dumbest question. How the hell do you dual class? Like I see the button ,but nothing there. I wanted to dual class Khaelid to be a cleric.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Only humans of certain classes may Dual-Class, and they need high attributes for it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
If Saerileth is not the worst of the worst, it's only because Chloe exists.

Of the vanilla romances, Viconia is probably the least weird. You and her hook up because you find each other hot, she's got her own share of issues but none of them as ridiculous as Jaheira (much less Aerie, who started the long and "beloved" Bioware theme of codependency and loving your psychology patient). There's still plenty of weird there (how on earth is level 50 Viconia being chumped by some lovely drow assassins, and how am I not immediately bringing her back to life?) but, again, the least weird.

At least you don't get VICONIA'S BABY as a literal inventory item.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kavak posted:

Only humans of certain classes may Dual-Class, and they need high attributes for it.

Ah he's a half elf so I guess he multi class ,but guess you can't do that in the game? Or you have to start something else?

Also, for a game about Baldur's Gate... takes a while to get there.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Hollismason posted:

Ah he's a half elf so I guess he multi class ,but guess you can't do that in the game? Or you have to start something else?

You can multi-class only at character creation.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Multi-classing can only be done by non-humans at character creation and the classes gain experience simultaneously. Dual classing can only be done by humans at level 2 and above. They forever stop gaining experience in their first class and start anew at level 1 in their new class. When their new class reaches the level of their first class plus 1, they regain their old abilities, but again they can't gain new ones from the first class.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

I feel like doing the Aerie romance because I like the idea of the protagonist having children, even if it happens in a really weird manner. After half the party having or causing daddy issues, I like to imagine that Charname decides that the buck stops here and gives his son and later daughter a stable and sane upbringing.

Also the mental image of a baby being taken to the fight with a near-god in the Abyss is hilarious.

Hollismason posted:

At least it's in this one!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hollismason posted:

This is fun so far, but I have the dumbest question. How the hell do you dual class? Like I see the button ,but nothing there. I wanted to dual class Khaelid to be a cleric.

Kavak posted:

To expand upon this post, even if you did install the tweak pack option to let non-humans dual-class, you need 17 WIS to dual-class to Cleric. Khalid would make a lovely cleric anyway, 10 WIS would leave him with very few spells even if he could. Really Khalid sucks and is not good at anything, get him killed and find a better fighter. Or ditch both Khalid and Jaheira and bring Branwen into your party.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

If Saerileth is not the worst of the worst, it's only because Chloe exists.

Who is Chloe? That's not one I ever heard of while I was paying attention to the BG2 modding community.

quote:

Of the vanilla romances, Viconia is probably the least weird. You and her hook up because you find each other hot, she's got her own share of issues but none of them as ridiculous as Jaheira (much less Aerie, who started the long and "beloved" Bioware theme of codependency and loving your psychology patient). There's still plenty of weird there (how on earth is level 50 Viconia being chumped by some lovely drow assassins, and how am I not immediately bringing her back to life?) but, again, the least weird.

Eh, like Kavak says, it's one of those things where the story trumps the setting. It happens a lot in the series, even extending to Mizhena in SoD.

Wizard Styles posted:

Saerileth is up there, yeah. She's fifteen and the mod writers have gone on record saying that's not a big deal because that's how old Juliet was in Romeo and Juliet. You can kill Saerileth multiple times by breaking her heart.
The same modders that made Saerileth also released Tsujatha, a dark and brooding elf necromancer with 19 intelligence that cutscene-kills Korgan because the modders don't like Korgan.

Amazing.

Thanks for the LP, Kavak! Saerilith is only something I've heard of in passing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

oh my god there's seventeen types of GRRR I'M A TOUGH GUY STAY AWAY FROM SAERILITH responses to salvanas

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Milky Moor posted:

Who is Chloe? That's not one I ever heard of while I was paying attention to the BG2 modding community.
Chloe is a true neutral lesbian demigoddess and will constantly remind you of all of these things.
I honestly didn't find her as horrible as this may sound, although I guess that's not really saying much, except she seriously never shuts up.

e: Chloe also may have been the first NPC to romance Imoen if Charname isn't eligible/interested.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 12, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Saerilith is easily the worst romance, but Chloe is possibly worst NPC. She is very much the PC of Baldur's Gate 2 and relegates you to NPC status; she has ridiculous(ly stupid) stats, an even more ridiculous backstory, comments on loving everything, and literally just kills Anomen if you ever try to talk to him. She insults and talks down to like half the characters in the game who just sorta go with it, including what's his face the shadow thief mob boss. . She apparently might just decide to ditch you right during the end game of SoA, leaving you high and dry. If you're a dude, she never stops talking about loving your sister. If you're a lady and turn her down, she immediately starts loving your sister. Any time any other NPC starts to have a moment of glory or coolness, she interrupts it to make it her moment.

Saerilith is terrible because she turns the game into her own private story and was clearly made because someone wanted to gently caress a 15 year old. Chloe is terrible because she hijacks the game and turns herself into the protagonist and won't shut up about how much she loves lesbian sex, and was clearly made because someone had this ~*~rad idea~*~ for their own PC and wanted to make it into a mod.

EDIT: Baldur's Gate 2 in general has some of the most hilarious and awesomely terrible NPC mods that any game has ever seen. Ever. It's a dragon's hoard of lovely NPCs, it's actually legit amazing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
As terrible as it might sound, it also sounds kinda funny in how it really demasculates the player.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ProfessorCirno posted:

She apparently might just decide to ditch you right during the end game of SoA, leaving you high and dry. If you're a dude, she never stops talking about loving your sister. If you're a lady and turn her down, she immediately starts loving your sister.

Haha, that owns.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

Chloe is a true neutral lesbian demigoddess and will constantly remind you of all of these things.
I honestly didn't find her as horrible as this may sound, although I guess that's not really saying much, except she seriously never shuts up.

I like Hexxat and actually think her romance storyline can be kind of endearing, so not much in this for me, I'm afraid.

Also I hadn't heard about any of these mods until tonight and dear God, gamer culture.:stonk:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Trent Oster shedding some light on creation of NPC's in Siege of Dragonspear and what they plan to do with Mizhena:
http://www.develop-online.net/interview/beamdog-ceo-we-never-thought-a-transgender-character-was-a-big-deal/0219033

Also a brief eulogy for Minsc's dig at GG.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Trent Oster shedding some light on creation of NPC's in Siege of Dragonspear and what they plan to do with Mizhena:
http://www.develop-online.net/interview/beamdog-ceo-we-never-thought-a-transgender-character-was-a-big-deal/0219033

That's a drat fine way to deal with that. I haven't played SoD yet, but I was worried they would fold and just take the character out or retcon her being trans. Glad they have some backbone. Anyone who's bothered this much by a minor NPC, Beamdog shouldn't want their business, imo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I also find the three node rule interesting, because it might be part of the reason why some of the discussion above makes companions feel rushed as it were.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Whats the best way for a solo MT not to be killed by the emotion-hopelessness spell? :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Stealth, sneak up and backstab the mage before he casts it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordaedil posted:

As terrible as it might sound, it also sounds kinda funny in how it really demasculates the player.

She's also one of three separate mod NPCs who will start loving your sister if you don't sleep with them.

I think there's only two mod NPCs with an NPC-NPC romance who don't want to sleep with Imoen: Auren Aseph who hooks up with Nalia, and Darian who gets together with Aerie in Throne of Bhaal.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
Finally got my game kicked off, and started by assembling my party. My PC is a Figher/Mage, and then I went with...

Minsc
Jaheira
Ajantis
Imoen
Viconia

I'm going to have to be fairly careful with my party Rep so that I can keep both Ajantis and Viconia in the same party, but it should be all good.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I wonder if I'm playing an RPG or a visual novel.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

Also a brief eulogy for Minsc's dig at GG.

That's awesome. The three node thing is interesting too and, now that I think about it, a lot of the conversations in SoD did feel very short.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LowellDND posted:

Whats the best way for a solo MT not to be killed by the emotion-hopelessness spell? :v:

Potions. Magic Protection or Courage(?) should do the trick. Or scrolls.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mordaedil posted:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm playing an RPG or a visual novel.

The BG2 modding scene is/was loving wild, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait, you can talk to party members some how and romance them? Is that in the game because I have yet to ever have a dialogue tree with any of the party members.