Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

GoutPatrol posted:

Just open a bunch, problem solved. At my LGS they have piles and piles of tokens.

Hang out after the drafts end and go through the leavings. That's how I ended up with most of my full art lands, commons / uncommons, tokens, and periodically rares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012
I haven't heard a good reason why "highest life total takes the game" if your in turns is a bad idea.

Also I have been personally scummed by people abusing the draw rules. There is a guy who sponsors about 4 of his friends at every prerelease/game day/pptq, and they give all the prize they get to him. Without fail if they go 1 win, 1 loss against a deck where they feel it's a bad matchup, their play starts to become glacially slow and they try to force a draw.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

anglachel posted:

I haven't heard a good reason why "highest life total takes the game" if your in turns is a bad idea.

Also I have been personally scummed by people abusing the draw rules. There is a guy who sponsors about 4 of his friends at every prerelease/game day/pptq, and they give all the prize they get to him. Without fail if they go 1 win, 1 loss against a deck where they feel it's a bad matchup, their play starts to become glacially slow and they try to force a draw.

Having the game end in a draw is obviously not great, but life total is often nearly meaningless in games of Magic, so I don't think that's a good tiebreaker.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

anglachel posted:

Because you can be at 1 life and have your opponent at 20 and your opponent has 0 chance of ever winning the game.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

anglachel posted:

It incentivizes playing control decks with few or no win conditions, but a heavy ability to generate life. This style of deck is miserable and slows tournaments to a grinding halt.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

anglachel posted:

That's slow play, not playing towards a draw.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm shocked they finally came around to allowing concessions. That was the dumbest rule.

I haven't played in awhile and am a little terrified to check rulings. They went through some hoops out of a combination of ignorance and wanting to distance themselves from "other card games."

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Niton posted:

It incentivizes playing control decks with few or no win conditions, but a heavy ability to generate life. This style of deck is miserable and slows tournaments to a grinding halt.

True. I would say "most damage done to an opposing player" as an alternative but there is no way currently to track that in the game rules.

PJOmega posted:

That's slow play, not playing towards a draw.

When the slow play rules never ever get enforced (seriously, we have video of Jim Davis playing Magic), slow play and "playing towards a draw" don't seem meaningfully different from me. Has anyone seen a sanction for slow play before?

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I've never played Magic before; should I just get an Intro Pack deck or try and buy a custom deck online for about the same price?

Edit: If Intro, Shadows over Innistrad, Magic Origins, or Battle for Zendikar? I like black.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Injuryprone posted:

I've never played Magic before; should I just get an Intro Pack deck or try and buy a custom deck online for about the same price?

Edit: If Intro, Shadows over Innistrad, Magic Origins, or Battle for Zendikar? I like black.

I personally think Commander products are the best introduction these days for people looking to play magic as a fun thing and spend the least amount of money. But Commander is a variant on the normal rules.

I would try to get the Blessed vs Cursed deck before the intro pack. Plenty of good black cards in it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Does anybody know anything about a thing called Welcome Deck 2016?

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&set=["Welcome%20Deck%202016"]

I just noticed that these are showing as Standard legal in Gatherer

Edit: the stupid link won't work right so you're gonna have to copy/paste that

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 12, 2016

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

stinkles1112 posted:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&set=["Welcome%20Deck%202016"]

I think this is just the rebranded sample decks

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Okay, to be a big ol' pedant as I've seen it come up a few times since this weekend:

Slow Play = playing too slowly accidentally. First time is a warning, second+ time is a game loss.

Stalling = playing too slowly on purpose. It's a DQ.

Most judges don't give out either nearly as much as they should.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

anglachel posted:

I personally think Commander products are the best introduction these days for people looking to play magic as a fun thing and spend the least amount of money. But Commander is a variant on the normal rules.

I would try to get the Blessed vs Cursed deck before the intro pack. Plenty of good black cards in it.

Commander is a big pot of rules and terms that haven't been used in a long time and a lot of convoluted interactions just based on the sheer card pool size and singleton format. It's not a good format for intro players. It's also hard to get into depending on your meta because it might feel bad to go up against a $500+ deck or mono-blue control.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mfcrocker posted:

Okay, to be a big ol' pedant as I've seen it come up a few times since this weekend:

Slow Play = playing too slowly accidentally. First time is a warning, second+ time is a game loss.

Slow Play is non-standard tournament error that is seldom (if ever) upgraded from Warning to Game Loss. Warnings, and subsequent infractions within the same game, are typically handled by adding additional turns to the game (beyond the standard additional turns when hitting time). Game Loss is only ever really considered if a judge has strong reason to believe the pace of play significantly affected the outcome of the game.

Stalling, as mentioned, typically results in a DQ.

While I agree to an extent that judges should be more judicious in Slow Play calls (I myself have made my fair share) in a Comp REL setting, at most LGS settings and events a verbal prompt or reminder to players will often suffice.

The problem with this infraction - and a big factor, I assume, in why a lot of judges don't apply this warning - is because there's no real metric for it. What might be slow play for one player might be normal play speed for another. There's a fellow at my LGS who is an exemplary member of the community, friendly and welcoming, but is just not a guy who is mentally quick, and his play is similarly paced. While I know he's playing as fast as he can, another judge might assess it as slow play. And that can be very frustrating to a player who is, by all accounts, playing as fast as he can. Meanwhile,, I know a number of much more competitive players in the same community who play at a much faster pace, and it's starkly apparent when they slow down, at least to me. Once again, another judge might not see a problem with their speed of play, but I've had to warn one or two of them in the past for shifting gears heavily in play speed to try and edge out opponents they know they have a rough match-up with (think Jim Davis up a game vs. Jim Davis down a game).

Until we get a hard-and-fast metric by which to assess Slow Play (and I for one don't look forward to Chess Clocks in Magic Matches), the best any judge can do is try to assess what is reasonably slow play for a given individual, and it's not always easy.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Judgecast did a pretty good podcast about slow play a while back.

I know listening to magic judges talk about judging isn't the most exciting topic, but I found it informative and interesting.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

stinkles1112 posted:

They're the free sample decks they give to shops to give out.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Gatherer's blocked at my job, any changes between last year and this year?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

anglachel posted:

You are playing a red aggro deck, I am playing a UW control deck. You hit me a couple times early and i'm at 3 life. I have established control, board wipe, holding 6 cards 2 counters 3 single target removal spells and another sweeper. I need 4 turns to win with my creature. You have no way to deal with him. Who is going to win the game at this point? The person with higher or lower life? The life total doesn't mean anything until it is zero. I traded 17 points of life for the turns necessary to lock you out of the game and put myself in a dominant position.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

You are playing a red aggro deck, I am playing a UW control deck. You hit me a couple times early and i'm at 3 life. I have established control, board wipe, holding 6 cards 2 counters 3 single target removal spells and another sweeper. I need 4 turns to win with my creature. You have no way to deal with him. Who is going to win the game at this point? The person with higher or lower life? The life total doesn't mean anything until it is zero. I traded 17 points of life for the turns necessary to lock you out of the game and put myself in a dominant position.

And this is exactly why life total being the determining factor is really stupid when it comes to settling a tie.

Edit: Nahiri is 12 bucks on TCGPlayer. Huh.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 12, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

And this is exactly why life total being the determining factor is really stupid when it comes to settling a tie.

Because she isn't good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Symphonie posted:

They're the free sample decks they give to shops to give out.

Those things got slightly weird a few years ago because for some reason they started putting cards in them that aren't actually in any Standard legal sets but are still Standard Legal. e.g. right now Divine Verdict and Mahamoti Djinn are Standard-legal, which you'd never know if you only open regular boosters.

It looks like they're now giving the welcome decks their own set symbol, whereas before they had the same set symbol as the core set.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mfcrocker posted:

Personally I think that they should just go to a 45 second shot clock. You get 45 seconds to think about what you're going to do from the time you get priority to the time you actually do something/pass priority/end the phase. Do nothing, or can't make up your mind? you pass. That would get rid of 95% of the slow play bullshit and would likely cut down on the number of extra rounds dramatically, as well as making extra rounds go faster.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Yawgmoth posted:

Personally I think that they should just go to a 45 second shot clock. You get 45 seconds to think about what you're going to do from the time you get priority to the time you actually do something/pass priority/end the phase. Do nothing, or can't make up your mind? you pass. That would get rid of 95% of the slow play bullshit and would likely cut down on the number of extra rounds dramatically, as well as making extra rounds go faster.

How do you know when to start the clock though? You're not going to start a clock every time a player passes priority. That would take so much time and lead to so many arguments given how poorly most players understand priority in the first place. Do you make a weird arbitrary rule where whenever you have priority and haven't done anything for a few seconds, your opponent is allowed to start a clock?

This is the one thing MTGO is actually better at.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

For the dude with 99 token problems, picking up piles after drafts and picking through them real quick is how I have two fat packs worth of tokens.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wear sunglasses and argue you were staring at your opponent the entire time while the clock runs down.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd completely forgotten about the Welcome Deck thing. It would be weird if a Welcome Deck 'exclusive' became relevant in standard, I imagine there'd be a lot of judge calls.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 12, 2016

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Mikujin posted:

Slow Play is non-standard tournament error that is seldom (if ever) upgraded from Warning to Game Loss. Warnings, and subsequent infractions within the same game, are typically handled by adding additional turns to the game (beyond the standard additional turns when hitting time). Game Loss is only ever really considered if a judge has strong reason to believe the pace of play significantly affected the outcome of the game.

No.

The second time someone is penalized for Tournament Error - Slow Play, it is mandatory to upgrade it to a game loss.

Spam Down B
Oct 1, 2008
The 2016 welcome symbol also exists in the random assortment of cards you get in the newest deck builder's toolkit. A friend bought one and let me crack his two bfz packs, and opened up a foil forest and an expedition!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

anglachel posted:

Imagine a standard where elixir control goes 0-0 16 rounds in a row and wins the tournament undefeated

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

How do you know when to start the clock though? You're not going to start a clock every time a player passes priority. That would take so much time and lead to so many arguments given how poorly most players understand priority in the first place. Do you make a weird arbitrary rule where whenever you have priority and haven't done anything for a few seconds, your opponent is allowed to start a clock?

This is the one thing MTGO is actually better at.
You know those chess clocks? One of those. Slap it when you play a spell or pass priority. You know when to start the clock because you have received priority. It also cuts down on that whole "I didn't know he was done" angle since the clock is ticking!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

You know those chess clocks? One of those. Slap it when you play a spell or pass priority. You know when to start the clock because you have received priority. It also cuts down on that whole "I didn't know he was done" angle since the clock is ticking!

Yeah, that would be asinine. The minimum number of priority passes in a turn is like what 12? Its just to much upkeep, not to mention the cost of getting chess clocks to each player at an event would make GP's cost even more than they do now.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Yawgmoth posted:

This would be a nightmare in practice.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the important thing is to remove the incentive to stall your way to a draw. If drawing is as bad or worse than losing there's no reason to try and drag out a game if you think it's a bad matchup. Maybe a 1-0 finish should also be worse for both players than a straight win.

I guess there's the case where you want to damage the person you're playing against to help a teammate but a) that's pretty rare and b) it will basically always happen in the final round where very few games are being played, and therefore players can be subjected to a lot more scrutiny.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I wonder if I should be stupid and grab a playset.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Yawgmoth posted:

Chess clocks for magic are the worst idea. The worst.

First of all priority changes a zillion times a turn and when you don't have a computer doing it automatically it's just a giant pain and you need to spending way too much time mashing a button.

Secondly there will be mistakes which will just make things even more complicated. Pity the judge who has to take the "I accidentally hit the button twice and neither of us noticed for two turns" judge call.

Thirdly who's going to buy all the chess clocks for GPs and verify they're working properly and not tampered with?

If you let players bring their own clocks you know someone is going to rig one up that runs at 1.2x speed during their opponent's time or something.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'd completely forgotten about the Welcome Deck thing. It would be weird if a Welcome Deck 'exclusive' became relevant in standard, I imagine there'd be a lot of judge calls.

Yeah that's really bizarre and I'm surprised I've never heard of it before. So Soul of the Harvest and Sphinx of Magosi are standard legal right now

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Lol if you haven't been running 1 of's of Serra Angel or Sengir Vampire in your standard decks.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

drat I wish Thing in the Ice survived a Languish. Though that's probably exactly why it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
What is the statute of limitations on complaining about rude nerds at magic events? I am suddenly kinda peeved by this thing a guy said at the pre-release.

• Locked thread