Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Incredible. The story and media narrative has gone from the problems of tax evasion and avoidance and governmental complicity in keeping tax havens functioning, to inheritance tax and Corbyn's tax return (while Cameron released a lovely little A4 scribbling). The media, and this country, are hosed.

Also, it seems the Panama Papers have pretty much died, there's been very little new information it seems...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Heisenberg1276 posted:

On first count I got £1650 for 11 lectures. I don't know where they got £1800.

But yeah I see that the first 3 were in the previous tax year, but that leaves 8 lectures and £1200 - where is the 9th lecture?

as I understand:

Previous Tax Year:

22 January 2014, received £150 for lecture on 21 January 2014. Hours: 1 hr. (Registered 14 May 2014)
12 February 2014, received £150 for lecture on 11 February 2014. Hours: 1 hr. (Registered 14 May 2014)
5 March 2014, received £150 for lecture on 4 March 2014. Hours: 1 hr. (Registered 14 May 2014)

2014/15:

9 April 2014, received £150 for lecture on 8 April 2014. Hours: 1 hr. (Registered 14 May 2014)
Received £150 for lecture on 16 December 2014. Hours: 1 hr. (Registered 16 March 2015)
Received £150 for lecture on 20 January 2015. Hours: 1 hr. (Registered 16 March 2015)
Received £150 for lecture on 10 March 2015. Hours: 1 hr. (Registered 16 March 2015)
Received £150 for lecture on 15 May 2014. Hours: 1hr. (Registered 16 March 2015)
Received £150 for lecture on 12 June 2014. Hours: 1hr. (Registered 16 March 2015)
Received £150 for lecture on 19 June 2014. Hours: 1hr. (Registered 16 March 2015)
Received £150 for lecture on 3 July 2014. Hours: 1hr. (Registered 16 March 2015)

Yeah I dunno, maybe he didn't actually get paid for the March 4th one till April or something. Either way, I think that the register of members interests suggests that if anything, Corbyn managed to overpay - can someone with twitter point this out to the Sun or something? I guess that's likely to get a quicker response than an email complaint...

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Christ tax shite is dull

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
That stupid "our tax system shown through a round of beer" thing is circulating on facebook again. While I do enjoy pointing out to people that it's not even close to how tax system works it does infuriate me that it still circulates, thing is like 8 years old.

quote:

Also, it seems the Panama Papers have pretty much died, there's been very little new information it seems...

There's 11.5 million documents. It's literally the biggest document leak in history and much like the NSA files (of which there is only 50'000 files) expect stories to come out in drips.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 12, 2016

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the more tories we can get on the news explaining that its all perfectly fine because its completely legal to not pay taxes whilst they cut public services because there isnt enough money the better imo, lets get this class war started

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Is Corbyn the only one to release an actual tax return so far?

The Beeb has done a rundown of who's published what. Corbyn, Sturgeon, McDonnell, and - surprisingly - Umunna have all published their complete tax forms.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pesmerga posted:

Incredible. The story and media narrative has gone from the problems of tax evasion and avoidance and governmental complicity in keeping tax havens functioning, to inheritance tax and Corbyn's tax return (while Cameron released a lovely little A4 scribbling). The media, and this country, are hosed.

What did you expect? The media had the Panama Papers for like a year before the release, if there was anything else really juicy to be found in them we'd know about it.

(That doesn't mean that there's not a vast amount of graft and corruption in our government, just that it's being done through other lawyers, or in papers not leaked from that lawyer).

I was never really expecting any material consequences for this, but hopefully it's gone some way to damaging the Tories' credibility.

Interestingly, Ashcroft seems to be in active rebellion against Cameron at the moment, which might make a long-term difference...

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pesmerga posted:

SDZ aren't going to be done reading the papers until May, at which point they'll discuss what they can do with them

thespaceinvader posted:

What did you expect? The media had the Panama Papers for like a year before the release, if there was anything else really juicy to be found in them we'd know about it.

million

documents

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Christ tax shite is dull

It really is.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

I complained to the Sun. They seem confused.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jippa posted:

It really is.

Calling out toxic hypocrites with too much power is always a hoot though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Here's something a little heartening then: survey polling Arab youths in the Middle East and North Africa finds over 85% would have nothing to do with Daesh / ISIS even if the group abandoned the violence. Other bits of interest are that they are concerned with civil liberties in general and for women in particular, and believe religion plays too big of a part in their daily lives.

A nice contrast from the typical EVERY MUSLIM IS A RELIGIOUS NUTTER WHO WANTS TO ACKBAR YOUR CHILDREN reporting we usually get.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

OvineYeast posted:

I complained to the Sun. They seem confused.

You complained because they seemed confused or they seemed confused by your complaint?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Party Boat posted:

You complained because they seemed confused or they seemed confused by your complaint?

Both, I think.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Calling out toxic hypocrites with too much power is always a hoot though.

No argument there I was just agreeing that tax chat makes my eyes glaze over.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

thespaceinvader posted:

Dude, 11.5 million documents. 2'600GB of data.

NSA Files was 50'000 documents, of which only 400 were released
Wikileaks Cables was 250'000 documents.

The papers involved in this leak have spent significant money and man power researching these documents. They will start with the biggest stories, involvement to politicians, then it will move on to celebrities, then major figures in companies. This isn't some race either, all the papers involved have an agreement about what stories break and who gets to break them and as they aren't publicly available they can take as long as they want. This story is going to be drip fed to us over months.

To put it in perspective, the first set of stories comprised of only 149 documents and targeted heads of state. The ICIJ have stated the next batch will come early May and involve major companies this time.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 12, 2016

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I demand to see Pissflaps tax return. UKMT needs to know the answers.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Some more heartening news, the government has been defeated by the Lords again.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/house-of-lords-defeats-some-of-governments-plans-for-starter-homes-a6979831.html

quote:

Peers vote for amendments to the Housing and Planning Bill amid fears that "affordable" homes would be nothing of the sort

minema
May 31, 2011
This all just reminds me of the scene in Jingo by Terry Pratchett where the city leaders are discussing how the city is bankrupt and what they can do about it.

quote:

"Would you be so good as to assemble a squad of your most experienced men, liaise with the tax gatherers and obtain the accumulated back Taxes, please? My clerk here will give you a list of the prime defaulters.'
'Right, sir. And if they resist, sir?' said Vimes, smiling nastily.
'Oh, how can they resist, commander? This is the will of our civic leaders.' He took the paper his clerk proffered. 'Let me see, now. Top of the list-'
Lord Selachii coughed hurriedly. 'Far too late for that sort of nonsense now,' he said.
'Water under the bridge,' said Lord Downey.
'Dead and buried,' said Mr Slant.
'I paid mine,' said Vimes.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Is aristocratic oligarchy the only thing saving the people from heartless democracy? :ohdear:

It's like we're living in a 18th century political tract.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I demand to see Pissflaps tax return. UKMT needs to know the answers.

I've already told you I don't submit a tax return.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The whole policy is hosed up but this is my favourite bit:

quote:

Under the government's plans, those buying in London could get a discount of up to £112,000 and those outside the capital over £60,000, which the purchaser could keep if they sold after five years.
Live in London? Here's £112,000 free. Oh, you live outside of London? gently caress off prole, you can have half as much and be grateful.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Brutal. Can Corbyn survive this revelation?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

Dude, 11.5 million documents. 2'600GB of data.
Does that make Mossack Fonseca a data storage company?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Brutal. Can Corbyn survive this revelation?

Yes, unfortunately.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

They're probably wishing they didn't follow Pissflaps advice of keeping copies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pissflaps posted:

We demand to see the P155. Hand over the piss slips, you godless oligarch.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I can't take credit for coming up with the the concept of maintaining financial records.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mega Comrade posted:

That stupid "our tax system shown through a round of beer" thing is circulating on facebook again. While I do enjoy pointing out to people that it's not even close to how tax system works it does infuriate me that it still circulates, thing is like 8 years old.
is it some one where its like "look how unfair it is that one guy has to pay for everyone elses beer"

because if you earn a couple of million pounds a year and go the pub with some of your friends who are on jsa or minimum wage and expect them to buy their own drinks you would be a tight fisted bastard with no mates

so it is sort of how it works

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

On recent form, they're more of a data distribution company :v:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

I can't take credit for coming up with the the concept of maintaining financial records.

Blaming someone else. Typical Pissflaps.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's this incompetence and lack of responsibility that makes me think pissflaps is an inadequate leader for the Labour Party.

Guess we'll have to make do with Corbyn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trin Tragula posted:

On recent form, they're more of a data distribution company :v:
Well played :golfclap:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Pissflaps, have you ever even see a tax return form? It's like 30 pages long - no-one ever fills it in duplicate so you can have a spare copy!
If you have to submit a paper one, then HMRC only send you one copy to fill and return anyway, so unless you expect everyone to photocopy the form afterwards then this is possibly the stupidest thing you've said for weeks.

It isn't even part of your financial records because it is just a summary of your records for the HMRC. You don't need a copy, because you should still have the original records that you used to generate the summary for the HMRC to look at (and keep them for 5 years).

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OzyMandrill posted:

so unless you expect everyone to photocopy the form afterwards then this is possibly the stupidest thing you've said for weeks.

This seems like the simplest way of retaining a copy of a paper based form.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just got my 34p of gov money in the form of a leaflet.
:smuggo: Too bad they wasted it since I cant vote

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

She needs a maternity unit, not an European Union referendum.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
tbf I'm pretty sure that she could have done without the referendum.

It's a bit suspect when they decide to hold an open public referendum and then themselves publish material using public money to back one side or the other. Like if in 2020 they spent £9m on sending a pamphlet called "Why the current Government believes that voting Conservative in the upcoming election is the best decision for the UK." to every home in the country.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

According to Politics Home, Jeremy Corbyn overstated income on his tax return, which would mean he's due a rebate, right?

Someone explain to me how this is bad for Corbyn please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

it does mean he's a bit rubbish at filling out forms, which is completely understandable and really common, but also not a great quality for people in charge of running a country.

• Locked thread